Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, combat20, I am QUITE familiar with the famous "yaw string" on the AT-33. A simple, 100% effective device for accurate ordinance deliverance (and making smooth, coordinated turns). Not to mention a really inexpensive "instrument" to install and maintain!

Old Dawg

Comment

• Well I'm having a Great time trying to set up this bird. I'm on my second brand new out of the package X8R Frsky reciever, using my Taranis x9d radio. So far the issues are I can get the gear to cycle in channel 5 on if I switch the direction on page 7 of 12 on the radio. No matter what assignment I try, this is the only way to cycle the gear.

The radio defaults to channel 2 and 6 for separate aileron channels and channel 7 for flaps. This works for ailerons but not for flaps, I have to reassign the second aileron channel to 7 and flaps to 6 for some reason to get that to function. However for some reason swapping channel 6 and 7 affects channel 5 and ensures that the gear doesn't cycle at all until I swap the channels back which of course affords me the loss of flaps again.

Removing the servo from the wing connectors and going straight to the receiver with the ailerons and flaps while maintaining the gear connection to the wing connectors doesn't affect the above quirks at all...

Don't know if she'll ever fly, but she sure is pretty to look at....
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Dkurtzid View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	9554FD25-89ED-475A-BC0B-38246897044C.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	232162Click image for larger version  Name:	39B59C9C-6335-453E-A295-203074103D63.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	233.1 KB ID:	232160Click image for larger version  Name:	291F9FD6-34D2-40D2-891B-10F328D92A49.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	232161Click image for larger version  Name:	5C83A72B-4963-4301-A30B-5F0A2403AFF0.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	232159 Not very original, and the Thunderbirds scheme has been used everywhere, but I still felt compelled to do it.

Don
        Nice. If that would have been offered as a choice I would have picked it. The T-33 is my favorite Thunderbird scheme. Maybe I'll do a makeover down the road if I ever get caught up on my other projects..

Mike
        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Update the gear for some reason will not work on a 2 position toggle switch, however it functions just fine on a 3 position toggle switch....yeah go figure.

Still working the flaps issue....oh how the hours pass. Currently everything plugged into the reciever.

Comment

• My "go to" lube for wheels is WD 40 spray silicon. Application can be done a couple of ways. Either remove the wheels and tap a shot into the wheel and wipe some on the axel. Or you can wrap the wheel area in paper towels(to protect paint from overspray) and "tap" spray some where the wheel and axel meet. It has an applicator tube like normal WD 40 does so it's easy to target application. It doesn't attack plastic hubs.

Only a very small amount is needed. It goes on as a liquid foam and penetrates into the area. Then the liquid carrier evaporates off, leaving the dry silicon behind. It doesn't stay wet, so won't attract dirt or sand like greases and oils.

Comment

• Originally posted by killickb View Post
              So what, she looks fantastic, very nicely done ! Did they have the B/A crest on, as you show ?
              The photo of the full scale T-33 I used as my inspiration had the Blue Angles emblem so I Included it too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FFED61BE-D10B-4DE2-A784-97D4019F1628.jpeg
Views:	943
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	232204

Comment

• Your TB looks amazballs!!! Callie Graphics?
                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                  Update the gear for some reason will not work on a 2 position toggle switch, however it functions just fine on a 3 position toggle switch....yeah go figure.

Still working the flaps issue....oh how the hours pass. Currently everything plugged into the reciever.
                  On the 2-position switch, have you checked the travel/endpoints settings in your transmitter?
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• That link shows a photo of a T-33 on the flight ramp at Keflavik NAS, Iceland. Notice that the tail number is the same as the Freewing model. Scoll down below the photo and photo details are shown. I mention the link again to explain this question. Did you notice the white, circular emblem on the fuselage? I am pretty sure that emblem is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...s_Bicentennial
                    That detail could be added and should also generate a conversation and illlustrate the age of the full-scale plane.
                    That's really neat to see the actual example chosen by FW, and a very nice quality image too. In the photographer's notes, he confirms that is indeed the Bicentennnial logo, and that the photo dates to September 1976. Also noteworthy -- the serial number location on the vertical stab was masked off from the red, so the serial is on aluminum, not over red, if anybody wants to get picky. Speaking of picky, the blue in the US markings is not dark enough. Regardless, I have no plans to change either thing!

It's always interesting to see which things "bug" a modeler. Being a graphic designer, I immediately notice color and markings. Other guys immediately spot larger-than-scale wheels and change them out. Due to the length of our club Geotex runway, EDFs frequently roll out into somewhat uneven grass, so I leave them. On the other hand, I do notice smaller-than-scale wheels and change out if practical to do so (not this plane of course). I already saw where one guy was shortening the gear struts on his T-33 to achieve the scale "squat" appearance on the ground -- pretty cool.

Comment

• Anyone planning on 3D printing the speed brakes?
                      This plane is just screaming for them.

dw

Comment

• Originally posted by Dkurtzid View Post
                        Not very original, and the Thunderbirds scheme has been used everywhere, but I still felt compelled to do it.Don
                        Don, Is Too, Is Too! That is the livery I would have chosen for what that's worth. Your T-33 is outstanding. A perfect reflection and tribute to a bygone era. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Update the gear for some reason will not work on a 2 position toggle switch, however it functions just fine on a 3 position toggle switch....yeah go figure.

Have you allowed for the 5 second delay? The blue box incorporates a delay on gear for sequencing doors, which this model doesn’t have.

Comment

Well I'm having a Great time trying to set up this bird. I'm on my second brand new out of the package X8R Frsky reciever, using my Taranis x9d radio. So far the issues are I can get the gear to cycle in channel 5 on if I switch the direction on page 7 of 12 on the radio. No matter what assignment I try, this is the only way to cycle the gear.

The radio defaults to channel 2 and 6 for separate aileron channels and channel 7 for flaps. This works for ailerons but not for flaps, I have to reassign the second aileron channel to 7 and flaps to 6 for some reason to get that to function. However for some reason swapping channel 6 and 7 affects channel 5 and ensures that the gear doesn't cycle at all until I swap the channels back which of course affords me the loss of flaps again.

Removing the servo from the wing connectors and going straight to the receiver with the ailerons and flaps while maintaining the gear connection to the wing connectors doesn't affect the above quirks at all...

Don't know if she'll ever fly, but she sure is pretty to look at....
                            That sounds like a programming error, likely not a X8R receiver issue. If you're using a Taranis, then a form of OpenTX OS is being used. Something in the channel assignment (with OpenTX, the freedom is you assign and mix things as you wish), inputs, and/or Mixer page is likely incorrect. Send a screen shot of the input page, mixer page, and how you want your channels setup to correlate with the servo leads at the receiver. Others who use OpenTX may be able to see what the issue is. There are some great threads for info. regarding the Taranis on the RcGroups forum to also view as that may answer many questions quicker, as well as YouTube videos.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Since there is no spare parts listed for this bird yet, would someone kindly tell me whether the wheels have brass axle bushings.
                              No brass. 4mm plastic hub and bushing.

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                                Your TB looks amazballs!!! Callie Graphics?
                                Vinyl printed. Actually my first attempt at using a vinyl technique, so it was kind of an experiment.

Don

Comment

• Great job on the Thunderbirds paint scheme.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newpil0t View Post

No brass. 4mm plastic hub and bushing.
                                    Thanx for the pic response.
                                    Wonder why FW is so on/off about using the brass axle bushings on new releases like what was done with some earlier releases that I'm aware of such as......A-10,F4U and F7F
                                    It certainly isn't a cost prohibitive thing for the brass axle bushings to be done.
                                    The retail wheel costs for the A-10 > $3.49, F4U > $3.99 and F7F > $2.99
                                    These prices are so darn affordable that this is really difficult to understand why FW/FL don't put these non-ferrous bushings in all their new products wheel axles.
                                    Hope you're listening on this one Alpha
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                                      On the 2-position switch, have you checked the travel/endpoints settings in your transmitter?
                                      They are the same as they are set up for the other 6 FW jets I have on this particular transmitter. Never thought of tweaking the endpoints for the gear, however never had this issue either...

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

That sounds like a programming error, likely not a X8R receiver issue. If you're using a Taranis, then a form of OpenTX OS is being used. Something in the channel assignment (with OpenTX, the freedom is you assign and mix things as you wish), inputs, and/or Mixer page is likely incorrect. Send a screen shot of the input page, mixer page, and how you want your channels setup to correlate with the servo leads at the receiver. Others who use OpenTX may be able to see what the issue is. There are some great threads for info. regarding the Taranis on the RcGroups forum to also view as that may answer many questions quicker, as well as YouTube videos.
                                        Thank you for your insight. I am also sure it isn't a reciever issue, not just because I've tried two separate brand new ones, but also because I gave up on the Taranis, used the exact same reciever, bound it to my old JR 10X with the Frsky module and everything worked great. Not sure why I've had no issues with the other 6 FW jets I have programmed on the Taranis, but the T-33 wasn't going to play for some reason....

Comment

• Originally posted by Newpil0t View Post

Have you allowed for the 5 second delay? The blue box incorporates a delay on gear for sequencing doors, which this model doesn’t have.
                                          Yes I did allow for that. As a matter of fact I counted 10 Mississippi's between each flip of the switch. I read the blue box instructions and also saw that the doors were mechanical actuated and not electronically actuated via separate servos. It may have very well been a endpoint issue as Oxotnik mentioned and that's why the 3 position switch worked.

I also wholeheartedly agree with T-Cat that it is probably a programming issue, although 7 hours is about all I'm willing to devote to that conundrum at this time. I missed the maiden today, due to believing that I could figure the issue out in time to fly. Had I simply shelved my stubborn nature I could have had several enjoyable flights in her today, by just switching radios earlier. Live and learn...

Comment

Working...
                                          X