Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Wild Man actually that's Mt. Rainier in the distance...As for St. Helens, ah yes I remember the day well. I was 12-years-old staying at my Dad's place in Kent. We were watching the live coverage on TV and we stepped outside, looked to the South and there was the massive plume of ash sky-high. An unforgettable event, especially as a kid!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Looks great, aros. I love your attention to detail. She looks locked in.

I finally got out and "re-maidened" my "Dark Falcon" V3 F-16 after the re-paint. I am loving the performance of the new S-EDF on 2x 6000 HRB packs. 4 min flights.

Thanks to tailskid for the video and Glen Huck Wickell for the still shots.

Flight video:

Paint video:

Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks krakenreleaser (you don't happen to be a fan of the new Seattle NHL franchise are you?)... Yeah that's one mean paint scheme, I love it!

I am digging the new S-EDF setup as well...A definite improvement over the old stock power system. So far I have only tried it with two Admiral 6000 Pros...I have a feeling I can get a better boost and increase in performance with the Roaring Tops. I want to get some RT's which I've had success with in this model.
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros im glad you finally got her dialed in. Have you seen MCSGUY in rc groups lipo testing thread? RT batteries are good but QC is starting to go down. I have 2 sets of 5500 45c and one 75c, and every single battery has one cell that is always out of balance. One battery is already starting to swell. All this batteries are purchased this year. Not too happy with them.

RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.

Comment

• A friend of mine started using Apower lipos, he also has some RT and Hobbystar. He already keep track of battery performer and takes readings constantly.

This new Apower lipos cells are matched almost perfectly, my RT were never near this good. This company is owned by the same people that own ZDZ engines. I’m going to try them eventually, I just wished I found them before spending all that money on RT.
            Attached Files
            Home of APower LiPo Batteries! RC Batteries USA is a family owned and operated business that began with a simple idea! Create the best battery and offer it at the best price!  We started this journey in 2017 by locating the best raw lithium manufactures who provide us with perfect Grade A cells. We began …

Comment

• Oh wow Lcacing I wasn't aware of the RT QC taking a dive. That's a bummer since I had so much luck with their 5500 75Cs. Thanks for the tip on Apower, I will check them out!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
                A friend of mine started using Apower lipos, he also has some RT and Hobbystar. He already keep track of battery performer and takes readings constantly.

This new Apower lipos cells are matched almost perfectly, my RT were never near this good. This company is owned by the same people that own ZDZ engines. I’m going to try them eventually, I just wished I found them before spending all that money on RT.
                Very nice, thanks, never even heard of them and they're assembled in the USA (although I'm sure the cells themselves are manufactured overseas)! I use the same meter and the numbers in the tests you showed are almost the same as I got on the best RT 5500 70 C I tested out of 12, and they did vary significantly from battery to battery like you said. Looked up the website and noticed the price is about $111 and the weight is 863 g. Slightly cheaper than the RT 5500, virtually the same dimensions but the RT weighs less at 825 g. Compared to the HRB 6000 50 C, all 12 that I have tested are virtually identical to the numbers you have on your meter. Same dimension, but the HRB weighs 830 g and the cost is $80. I also found that in the 12 HRB's I have, they all tested virtually identical. That's not a big enough sample, but I would say those Apower's and the HRB's are better alternatives to the RT 5500 70 C.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I also have some HRB’ 6000 and although the cells balance better than the RT, I can definitely see better performance with the RT’ over HRB’. The actual weight of the Apowers is the same as the HRB 6000’. RT advertised weight is higher than actual. I wonder if that’s part of their QC issue.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
                    I also have some HRB’ 6000 and although the cells balance better than the RT, I can definitely see better performance with the RT’ over HRB’. The actual weight of the Apowers is the same as the HRB 6000’. RT advertised weight is higher than actual. I wonder if that’s part of their QC issue.
                    Interesting, got the same weight on all my HRB's as you did, 824-826 g, and on the RT 5500 same 794-798 g (advertised at 825 g). The Apowers advertised weight on their website was 863 g and yours actually weighed 825 g. Seems all the published weights are higher than actual. Not that 20-30 grams makes that much of a difference.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      Thanks krakenreleaser (you don't happen to be a fan of the new Seattle NHL franchise are you?)... Yeah that's one mean paint scheme, I love it!

I am digging the new S-EDF setup as well...A definite improvement over the old stock power system. So far I have only tried it with two Admiral 6000 Pros...I have a feeling I can get a better boost and increase in performance with the Roaring Tops. I want to get some RT's which I've had success with in this model.
                      I'm actually a Detroit Red Wings fan (pitiful lately, i know). But naturally I loved the choice of Seattle to go with the Kraken name. The announcement video Seattle released when they made the choice was 100% awesomeness.

I love the performance out of the HRB 6000s. I also use the 70c 6000 CNHL ones and they work very great as well (although they are much more expensive). I haven't tried the Roaring Tops 6S 5500 batts yet. But I use the 70c 5000 Roaring Tops in 4S on all my 8S setups. After 3 years of use, they are very reliable and have never puffed on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by krakenreleaser View Post

I'm actually a Detroit Red Wings fan (pitiful lately, i know). But naturally I loved the choice of Seattle to go with the Kraken name. The announcement video Seattle released when they made the choice was 100% awesomeness.

I love the performance out of the HRB 6000s. I also use the 70c 6000 CNHL ones and they work very great as well (although they are much more expensive). I haven't tried the Roaring Tops 6S 5500 batts yet. But I use the 70c 5000 Roaring Tops in 4S on all my 8S setups. After 3 years of use, they are very reliable and have never puffed on me.
                        Not sure I'd waste your money on the RT 5500 70C batteries. I have 12 of them (purchased this year for the SU-30 and my F-16), and while they test out very well on the IR meter (with as high a C as any other I've tested at 23C-IR meter very conservative, actual C more like 35C) and give as much punch as any other battery, the cost is $120, weight is 796 g and has a lower mAh capacity than some others of equal punch. Don't get me wrong, it's a great battery, however, the HRB 6000 50C-100C burst tests out on the IR meter and the Power draw meter almost identical, has an additional 500 mAh, weighs slightly more at 824 g and costs only $78. Used to use the RT 5500 70C in all my inrunners (which seem to demand a higher C battery than an outrunner), but now use only the HRB, or even the Hobbystar 8000 100C (not close but just below the HRB and RT in actual C) for longer flight times if the bird can take the 895 g weight. For my outrunners, I only use the RT 6250 mAh 35C since it weighs 790 g and gives the same power output on outrunners as the HRB and RT 70C, yet gives the most mAh. I also hear the APower 6000 mah is equal or better than both, weight about 795 g and cost around $111. The 12 RT 5500 70C's I have only have about 10 flights each on them but doubt I'll be using them again in anything considering my alternatives, so if you want them, I'll sell them to you for a huge $1 discount at $119. We can meet at Frankenmuth (assume you're in Michigan) and you can buy me lunch!

Just my 2 cents.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Not sure I'd waste your money on the RT 5500 70C batteries. I have 12 of them (purchased this year for the SU-30 and my F-16), and while they test out very well on the IR meter (with as high a C as any other I've tested at 23C-IR meter very conservative, actual C more like 35C) and give as much punch as any other battery, the cost is $120, weight is 796 g and has a lower mAh capacity than some others of equal punch. Don't get me wrong, it's a great battery, however, the HRB 6000 50C-100C burst tests out on the IR meter and the Power draw meter almost identical, has an additional 500 mAh, weighs slightly more at 824 g and costs only $78. Used to use the RT 5500 70C in all my inrunners (which seem to demand a higher C battery than an outrunner), but now use only the HRB, or even the Hobbystar 8000 100C (not close but just below the HRB and RT in actual C) for longer flight times if the bird can take the 895 g weight. For my outrunners, I only use the RT 6250 mAh 35C since it weighs 790 g and gives the same power output on outrunners as the HRB and RT 70C, yet gives the most mAh. I also hear the APower 6000 mah is equal or better than both, weight about 795 g and cost around $111. The 12 RT 5500 70C's I have only have about 10 flights each on them but doubt I'll be using them again in anything considering my alternatives, so if you want them, I'll sell them to you for a huge $1 discount at $119. We can meet at Frankenmuth (assume you're in Michigan) and you can buy me lunch!

Just my 2 cents.
                          Great info Hugh, thanks!

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman is our resident Battery Savant. I love it...Saves me the guess work.
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I only have one set of the RT5500 70c, I was curious since I also have the 120mm T-33. I for sure won’t be buying anymore of them. My next purchase will be the Apower lipos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                Hugh Wiedman is our resident Battery Savant. I love it...Saves me the guess work.
                                Yah right, resident Battery Savant my rear. I'm sure there's a ton of guys out there that have probably forgot more than I know about Lipos. Don't forget, I'm that same battery expert that when I got into RC some 8 years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to punch a hole in my LiPo's that were starting to puff to let "the air out", only to almost burn down the house and the entire neighborhood. When the alarm went off and the Fire Department showed up and opened my doors, they thought they were raiding a major hookah party, ya mann! The next brilliant idea I had was to store them in the refrigerator, fully charged, so I could grab them on my way to the field without having to waste time charging them, "storage charge" what's that? And now I bought an IR/C meter and a GT Power meter and started testing everything I could get my hands on and somehow managed to get the idea that my doesn't stink!! So if there's a question of who to listen to about batteries, you're barking up the wrong tree!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• On my 90mm stuff and the SU-30 and a few others I'll stick with my Admiral 6c Pro 6000 60c's all I use are Admiral batteries and they work just fine and have lasted a long time. The First two 6c 5000 50c batteries are now two years old still charge out at 100% and the cell balance out and look like they came out of the box new no puffing at all

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                    Yah right, resident Battery Savant my rear. I'm sure there's a ton of guys out there that have probably forgot more than I know about Lipos. Don't forget, I'm that same battery expert that when I got into RC some 8 years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to punch a hole in my LiPo's that were starting to puff to let "the air out", only to almost burn down the house and the entire neighborhood. When the alarm went off and the Fire Department showed up and opened my doors, they thought they were raiding a major hookah party, ya mann! The next brilliant idea I had was to store them in the refrigerator, fully charged, so I could grab them on my way to the field without having to waste time charging them, "storage charge" what's that? And now I bought an IR/C meter and a GT Power meter and started testing everything I could get my hands on and somehow managed to get the idea that my doesn't stink!! So if there's a question of who to listen to about batteries, you're barking up the wrong tree!
                                    LMAO!! Oh Hugh you just may be the most self effacing member on Squawk! We love that about you. You're glossing over the truth that in your, ahem, "learning moments" it made you focus closer on LiPo tech than many of us would without those experiences. So now you're telling us the low down on battery specs. It's a feel good story if you ask me!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I will have to say that after 75 plus landings, the main gear retract finally gave out. Took the assembly apart in found that the motor would work intermittently. When power was applied, I would have to give the motor pinion a push for it to start rotating.
                                      FYI troubleshooting the retracts is really simply. Just unplug the from the MFC and apply voltage to the retract lead. Simply reversing polarity will make the retract go up or down.
                                      Here is the part that bugs me a bit, HSD will sell you the nose retract motor for $17, but not the main retract motor, for that you have to buy the retract assembly for $40 🤬. I guess $.50 a flight is not too horrible
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• 75 landings might be it's life expectancy I am afraid to say. There's so many electronics and parts that can go wrong...I just cross my fingers every flight. Yeah, it's stupid that they won't sell the main retract motor, just the nose retract motor. What the heck?
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hello HSD F-16 fans! I am about to get another one of these. This time I'll go for the Arctic camo paint scheme. My gray one had a bad encounter with a rut between our runway and the grass resulting in a ripped out nose gear. I sold it and now it's time for another!

Comment

Working...
                                          X