Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple happy HSD F-16 pilots! We got these dialed in and resolved all main gear deployment issues. They performed flawlessly in our Texas 15mph winds yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
      Couple happy HSD F-16 pilots! We got these dialed in and resolved all main gear deployment issues. They performed flawlessly in our Texas 15mph winds yesterday.

Comment

• Yes!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nice flight and landing! Boy I envy your nice low approach and no obstacles! How did you resolve the gear issue?
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Anyone know how the S-EDF fan compares to the JP Fan 105mm unit performance? I have a JP Fan that I occasionally swap between my V1 F-16 and my Super Viper. Would like to see some more performance for the F-16.
            Thanks in advance.
            -Jorden

Comment

• I don't own the JP but did upgrade to the S-EDF. From what I have read the JP pulls less amps but doesn't have quite the same thrust. So a slight bit more flight time, not as much top speed and maybe not as good mid throttle performance. With the S-EDF and a 3D printed thrust tube I can get about 3:30-3:45 on 6000s with quite a few 85%-100% throttle passes.

Originally posted by Flash Jorden View Post
              Anyone know how the S-EDF fan compares to the JP Fan 105mm unit performance? I have a JP Fan that I occasionally swap between my V1 F-16 and my Super Viper. Would like to see some more performance for the F-16.
              Thanks in advance.
              -Jorden

Comment

• Posted this on RCG but thought I'd but put the feelers for suggestions here too:

I purchased a used V2 arctic camo recently, upgraded to the S-EDF and added the 3d printed thrust tube. I have 9 flights on it so far with HRB 6000 and Hobby Star 6250 batteries. CG @ 170mm, I bypassed the elevator mix and added tailerons and flaperons. Maiden was uneventful, just slight up trim needed.
                Flying on recommended "high" rates I settled on 30% taileron mix and have it on a switch, I pretty much leave it on now and originally programed it in to aid the roll control with the flaperons. I have both my flap settings trimmed out with flight modes although I've only used my half flap setting to land once as we've had decent wind and haven't really needed it, plane lands pretty good!

Looking to hear what others have done with a throttle to elevator mix? If added, I'd probably only want it with the gear up.
                I do notice a decent amount of pitching up when pulling back the throttle. I don't mind the down pitch as much with adding throttle as I can cover it on the sticks and it helps the plane feel locked in a bit, but if a mix will take care of both I'd be willing to try. What percentage mix is close to factory setting or what is anyone else using? The plane is setup on a Jeti radio system (Rex 10 assist), not sure that matters but I thought I read servo travel percentages were slightly different vs others.
                I understand some of the cg setting is personal preference and the pitching is likely caused by the cheaters but should I try shifting the cg 5mm back first? or forward?
                Apologies for my lack on knowledge in advance, I haven't dealt with this type of mix before and have only been flying for 2.5 years.

Also not a huge fan of the foam main gear doors.. has anyone 3d printed or made any? Did they upgrade this on the v3 or turbine version?

Comment

• Originally posted by GarrisonR View Post
                  I don't own the JP but did upgrade to the S-EDF. From what I have read the JP pulls less amps but doesn't have quite the same thrust. So a slight bit more flight time, not as much top speed and maybe not as good mid throttle performance. With the S-EDF and a 3D printed thrust tube I can get about 3:30-3:45 on 6000s with quite a few 85%-100% throttle passes.
                  Hey Garrison, about that 3D printed thrust tube...I bought one from that RCG thread and I have been meaning to install it and try it out. What's the best way to install? I assume I have to remove the AB section? Just a quick dry fit and it is too large for the back diameter to just push in and glue down. I'm sure I'm missing something...Thanks!

As for the throttle/elevator mix, I simply don't use it. I have the Demon Cortex gyro in her and I don't want it competing with that. In fact even before I put a gyro in this model I deactivated the mix.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey Aros, no need to remove anything. For me it appeared it would not fit at first, but it is just a matter slightly squeezing the thrust tube with the bit of flex the thin side has and working it in at the correct angle. First time I tried I got it right away, then when I went to install the 2nd time and then the clear one I printed it took a little longer. You have to get the angle and squeeze just right, its a well designed part I must say.
                    Also my printer put a little bump in the very top/thin side of the print where the layers would start/stop (probably my print settings) I did file that down.
                    I have to final tape mine in still so I can take a quick video and put it on the tube if you want/need.

Thanks on the mix advice, I think I'm going to adjust the pitch gain on my receiver gyro and maybe move the cg back some, or play with the cg more.

Originally posted by Aros View Post

Hey Garrison, about that 3D printed thrust tube...I bought one from that RCG thread and I have been meaning to install it and try it out. What's the best way to install? I assume I have to remove the AB section? Just a quick dry fit and it is too large for the back diameter to just push in and glue down. I'm sure I'm missing something...Thanks!

As for the throttle/elevator mix, I simply don't use it. I have the Demon Cortex gyro in her and I don't want it competing with that. In fact even before I put a gyro in this model I deactivated the mix.

Comment

• Originally posted by GarrisonR View Post
                      I have to final tape mine in still so I can take a quick video and put it on the tube if you want/need.
                      I would really appreciate that! Thanks for the tips btw!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Here you go! ..also I don't normally have a creeper mustache

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Originally posted by Aros View Post

I would really appreciate that! Thanks for the tips btw!

Comment

• GarrisonR LOL!! Thanks man! So do you then glue it or tape it in place once it's in place?
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• No problem. All my flights so far I just taped the back with a couple small pieces, I wanted to do some more testing and it almost will stay in on it's own even under thrust. The original black one and this clear one now I will tape the leading edge with hinge tape, should smooth things out as well.

Comment

• Appreciate the info! I'll work on it today. It's been waaaaay too long since I've flown her. I need to take a day off and head up to 60 Acres which is as big and open as the name implies.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I explored reducing the FSA a while back, with the exhaust diameter to around 85mm I found an increase of speed and amp draw. The biggest overall improvement was on 1/2- 3/4 throttle. My final set up was to install the exhaust cone of the HSD J-10, I think it looks better than stock, longer and the exhaust diameter is around 94-95mm. Just about 100% FSA, still less than stock.

Comment

• Wow talk about reviving an old thread. It's been almost 2 years since the last post. A lot has happened since then. I have since moved, joined the biggest RC club in Washington (Red Apple Flyers in Wenatchee, WA) just so I can fly this model. I sold my last one a couple years ago, mourned the loss and finally decided to grab number 4. This will be the first time I can fly her in a wide open airspace with zero obstructions. Finally!!

For whatever reason HSD no longer offers the Arctic Camo model so I had to buy the Belgian AF livery. Not bad looking at all, but I am just a sucker for the Arctic Camo so after the maiden this weekend I fully plan on painting her the AC livery like all the ones before her. Bought the warbirdpilots.com pilot with the servo-actuating head so I will Y it to the rudder for a little scale appeal.

Should have some onboard video after this weekend. It's still a couple hour drive to the field from my house but it's worth it just to fly her for once without my heart in my throat due to endless obstructions. Can't wait!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                    I sold my last one a couple years ago, mourned the loss and finally decided to grab number 4. This will be the first time I can fly her in a wide open airspace with zero obstructions. Finally!!

Can't wait!
                                    Sometimes the itch just needs to be scratched

So with experience from four, do you feel there's a big difference between V1 and V2? I bought a used V1 with a turbine and thinking about switching the wings to a V2, but I haven't flown it yet.

/Tobias

Comment

• Oh yes, the V2 is much improved from the old stock setup. Larger wings, nicer control board, decent power increase. Of course I am talking EDF version. Not sure about a turbine setup. Love to hear your maiden report!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Wow talk about reviving an old thread. It's been almost 2 years since the last post. A lot has happened since then. I have since moved, joined the biggest RC club in Washington (Red Apple Flyers in Wenatchee, WA) just so I can fly this model. I sold my last one a couple years ago, mourned the loss and finally decided to grab number 4. This will be the first time I can fly her in a wide open airspace with zero obstructions. Finally!!

For whatever reason HSD no longer offers the Arctic Camo model so I had to buy the Belgian AF livery. Not bad looking at all, but I am just a sucker for the Arctic Camo so after the maiden this weekend I fully plan on painting her the AC livery like all the ones before her. Bought the warbirdpilots.com pilot with the servo-actuating head so I will Y it to the rudder for a little scale appeal.

Should have some onboard video after this weekend. It's still a couple hour drive to the field from my house but it's worth it just to fly her for once without my heart in my throat due to endless obstructions. Can't wait!
                                        Outstanding Sir! That Belgian livery ain't bad, but I do love the Arctic scheme as well, so have at it. One thought, I've used several of the warbirds pilots with actuating (always just called it "moving" but then I am still a cave man) head, and if you have enough channels left, you may want to get Chris Wolf's random generating attachment thingy (another example of my level of sophistication) instead of just y'ing it to the rudder. It's really kind'a cool as it sits there doing it's own thing!
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Wow talk about reviving an old thread. It's been almost 2 years since the last post. A lot has happened since then. I have since moved, joined the biggest RC club in Washington (Red Apple Flyers in Wenatchee, WA) just so I can fly this model. I sold my last one a couple years ago, mourned the loss and finally decided to grab number 4. This will be the first time I can fly her in a wide open airspace with zero obstructions. Finally!!

As I said over on RCG, your going to like this version, I hope anyway, if not you can box it up and ship it to me for a cheap low price.....

Comment

Working...
                                          X