Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "7. If a ground imperfection pitches you up into a high alpha on take-off or after landing and while slow...be the best pilot you can possibly be. This is gonna be tough. Finesse on the controls will possibly save you. Application of full power certainly won't save you."

Maybe my crash is instructional... https://youtu.be/l22ftmf2qK8

The jet had enough weight in the tail to move the CG back ~15mm aft of the factory marks. Wind was dead calm so no additional airspeed over the controls. The jet veered left and was headed toward tall grass causing me to jerk full up elevator in an effort to get off the ground fast. The nosewheel hit a bump causing the nose to be pitched up. After the resulting pitch up I kept full power until the jet reached a peak of about 20 feet. Nothing I did with the controls had any effect. Then I chopped power completely causing the jet to pitch straight down and crash. In retrospect it would have been better to ease off the power as soon as the jet pitched up and then keep enough power to hold the nose up but not so much as to climb. At least the crash would have been from a lower altitude.

During the second incident I found the jet at about 3 feet of altitude and was able to modulate power and back the plane down to a tail first landing. What was different was the CG was more forward, there was a 10 mph wind over the plane's surfaces and the nose was only up about 45 degrees.

Comment

• I did a maiden on a friends MiG last weekend. I’ve been flying mine with the TV installed for about 12 flights. I just copied my settings and it only took couple of clicks of down elevator. The only mods to the MiG are DS 85 servos, CC 2.0 bec and wing tip mod to remove washout, and tailerons. Been flying mine that way since it was released. We had a pretty strong cros wind and since the MiG was not mine I didn’t get to crazy. FFW to abut 1:10 to see how effective the TV unit is.

0 views, 8 likes, 0 loves, 0 comments, 0 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Chris Freeman: Pretty, windy day. Very strong and blustery crosswind out of the north. But a successful maiden of Mike's...

Comment

• I really feel that once in deep stall the only real way out (other than letting it fall out of the stall by cutting throttle) is to have TVs. Note that the TVs don't always keep you from getting into deep stall...

Yes they are effective. I also have TVs, tailerons (among other programing), reflex including cut wing tip, stronger tail servos and linkage, larger guage wiring, but running the stock BEC.

Comment

• I was pretty far back with the CG on mine when I screwed up. Immediately knew it when I did it. Too hot on the throttle. But, that's a lesson on just how quick it can happen. I think TVs are definitely a way to go with this jet. I just got replacement parts and am planning to stay light and cut the nozzles without TV. I want to see if I can fix the thrust line issue. I believe there should be no issue with thrust line if set correctly and no matter where the CG sits. May take a little time as I got another plane to finish and a motorcycle rear brake in front of it. Looking forward to testing.
          Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• I think changing the thrust line will have other consequences such as pitch up when coming off throttle...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              I really feel that once in deep stall the only real way out (other than letting it fall out of the stall by cutting throttle) is to have TVs. Note that the TVs don't always keep you from getting into deep stall...

Yes they are effective. I also have TVs, tailerons (among other programing), reflex including cut wing tip, stronger tail servos and linkage, larger guage wiring, but running the stock BEC.
              I recall, earlier in this thread, when the TV topic first came up, someone (an armchair aeronautical engineer, maybe?) said that TV will have little to no affect. I won't say who but I'm sure he knows who he is. I disagreed but was noone listened. Using the Pythagoras theorum of right angle triangles, it's not hard to calculate how much thrust can be put on the tail of this plane when the nozzles are at their max deflection. But, it's hard to argue trigonometry with an engineer.

Comment

I think changing the thrust line will have other consequences such as pitch up when coming off throttle...
                Agreed! Been there, done that.

Comment

I think changing the thrust line will have other consequences such as pitch up when coming off throttle...
                  Not to mention the amount of trim on the horizontal stab for straight and level flight with throttle. Recall how much up trim is needed at factory CG with the pitch up thrust line!

I think the TV upgrade is really worthwhile even if folks aren't planning on post stall work. I'd hate to see this jet go in whilst helplessly waiting for the nose to drop to recover from deep stall.​​​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

• I have made some cosmetic improvements to the 3DP files for the VT nozzles.

This is a nozzle to replace the stock foam one in the Freewing MiG29 with VT. The foam nozzle is just held on with tacky adhesive and can be removed without damage if you're careful. There are two versions, one with the inner petals extended beyond the outer ones, and one where they are not. Take your pick. Print with minimal infill if weight is a problem.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_69447.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	303680Click image for larger version  Name:	159223018_3652566744778639_7033528086720402899_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	303681Click image for larger version  Name:	158497641_3650191165016197_2476579044871477824_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	303678Click image for larger version  Name:	159250726_3650191228349524_7381672316548872827_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	303679
                      BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• And the fun continues....

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                          And the fun continues....

https://youtu.be/Oj_lNEJgz5Q
                          🤣🤣😂 I hope these guys carry on posting these videos ... I did mention on the FB page that it was likely air getting into the turbine and did they have a UAT. On the video with the lid open, I didn't see a UAT .... I mean, I could be wrong, but ...

Comment

• That Ukrainian Falcons plane is amazing! I've been watching all the prep work, but had no idea what the finished product would look like. Perfectly done.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                              And the fun continues....

https://youtu.be/Oj_lNEJgz5Q
                              If I'm not mistaken, that's the same field where the first recorded Mig 29 crash happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                If I'm not mistaken, that's the same field where the first recorded Mig 29 crash happened.
                                I can tell from the towers/hills, it is 大棠遙控飛機場 (Datang RC airport) just north of Hong Kong, near 崇山. On Google Maps it is labeled with "Hong Kong Model Engineering Club"

Comment

• I'm curious if there have been reports of radio problems there with other planes at that field due to those power lines. My old field had very similar power lines at a similar distance from where we fly and in a specific pie shaped zone towards those lines, we had a dead zone. Not all planes were affected, only certain planes would suffer re-occurring signal loss at the same area of airspace. Depending on the direction of travel of the plane, it could manage to fly out of the dead zone ........................... OR NOT. Several crashes have happened there. After the lines were moved, no more dead zone.

Comment

I'm curious if there have been reports of radio problems there with other planes at that field due to those power lines. My old field had very similar power lines at a similar distance from where we fly and in a specific pie shaped zone towards those lines, we had a dead zone. Not all planes were affected, only certain planes would suffer re-occurring signal loss at the same area of airspace. Depending on the direction of travel of the plane, it could manage to fly out of the dead zone ........................... OR NOT. Several crashes have happened there. After the lines were moved, no more dead zone.
                                    Tall power transmission line towers are often used for telecommunications antennas (commercial telecommunications, public safety) - in the industry this is called "co-siting". Might want to check if any of those have them.

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_69447.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	303680
                                      Click image for larger version Name:	158497641_3650191165016197_2476579044871477824_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	303678
                                      The Ukrainian is just a tad bit off ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MIG-29.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	304197

Comment

I'm curious if there have been reports of radio problems there with other planes at that field due to those power lines. My old field had very similar power lines at a similar distance from where we fly and in a specific pie shaped zone towards those lines, we had a dead zone. Not all planes were affected, only certain planes would suffer re-occurring signal loss at the same area of airspace. Depending on the direction of travel of the plane, it could manage to fly out of the dead zone ........................... OR NOT. Several crashes have happened there. After the lines were moved, no more dead zone.
                                        We have regular 3 phase overhead power lines (likely 11,000v) on one boundary of our field. Note that they do not pose a problem when flying the regular pattern.

However, boys will be boys so of course there have been those that attempt to thread the needle underneath them. Legend has it that everyone who has tried has suffered a momentary signal interruption.

Comment

• A turbine will not flame out due to signal loss unless the failsafe has been incorreclty set.

Comment

Working...
                                          X