X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Clearly the single best flying and behaving EDF Motion, or anyone else has ever produced.
    Very nice flying but I don't agree with your conclusion.

Comment

• Yep, me too :)
      I still think the Su-35 kicks its ass :)

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Very nice flying but I don't agree with your conclusion.
        As it comes out of the box I agree with you, but after in what my opinion are mandatory upgrades (the tail servos, linkages, BEC, and installing thrust vectoring) I agree with Hugh. Granted, my experience is limited as I’ve only got three Freewing jets, the 8s F-22, Gripen, and the MiG-29, and I’ve only been flying for a year, but this is now my best flying and most fun jet followed by the F-22. The vectoring gave me confidence in the jet that I never had before. Highly recommend the upgrade if you haven’t done it yet.

If anyone Is wondering, I was able to “hover the MiG” but it doesn’t have the power to do much more than that. It definitely can’t pull out of it vertically but it looks cool to just hang it in mid-air for a few seconds. Hugh may have gotten a video of it on his phone but I’m not sure if that’s when he accidentally shut it off instead of recording 😆

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
          Yep, me too :)
          That one definitely seems to kick the MiGs ass in thrust to weight and you really know how to throw it around in the air.🤘

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

• Anyway, back to the MiG, here are some more flights on my end, still not vectored, but showing how fantastically well this jet copes with wind, an area where the bigger MiG does indeed kick the Su-35's ass (for a change, lol).

Comment

Anyway, back to the MiG, here are some more flights on my end, still not vectored, but showing how fantastically well this jet copes with wind, an area where the bigger MiG does indeed kick the Su-35's ass (for a change, lol).

Great flying, as usual...she’s definitely one that’s safe to bring when conditions are less than optimal...unlike a certain Swedish jet that wobbles like it’s drunk 😂

Comment

• We haven't heard of any MiGs taking a dirt knap lately from no elevator response. ?????????

Comment

• Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post
                    Great flying, as usual...she’s definitely one that’s safe to bring when conditions are less than optimal...unlike a certain Swedish jet that wobbles like it’s drunk 😂
                    Thanks! :)
                    That's precisely what I had in mind (though I didn't speak it aloud, lol)

When the day is windy I will often take the MiG or the Hornet. Hornet is gyro stabilized though.

Comment

Hey Airguardian and kallend , I'd be more than willing to conduct a completely unbiased test on both to confirm it so please send me one of each, NIB please, and I'll get right on it. You can fight amongst yourselves as to which one each of you send me, as I'm now leaning towards the idea of gotta have one of each, with an F18 thrown in to keep the peace.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Oh, don't worry, no fighting needed at all!
                        I'll leave the privilege up to Kallend to send you his!

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          We haven't heard of any MiGs taking a dirt knap lately from no elevator response. ?????????

Airguardian....excellent! I enjoy your flying.

Xviper....nope we haven’t. It does happen with other birds, though.

Saturday my F-4 dove in from about 20 ft up on final with total loss of elevator response. Post crash a glitchy elevator servo was determined to be the cause. When it would intermittently freeze, I could move the FFS by hand, and it would begin to function....work for a while and then go dead again. 1,000+ flights on the bird.

Verified the bad servo was bad with or without routing thru the control board and acted up when it was being driven by other channels. RX and control board are good.

Soooo lucky! 15% power, slow, 20 ft low, hit level. Broke the fuse’s back at the intakes. Canopy even stayed on. Tore the main gear mounting blocks out and sheared the nose gear pin. And, the rear fuse broke apart. No wing, rudder or FFS damage, but cleaned off all the missiles and tanks.

All repaired...will test fly later today, if the wind calms down. Put on all new landing gear servos and hardware and a new nose wheel steering servo that sheared some gear teeth. Will do a thorough range check before flight.

-GG

Comment

• Glad you do!
                            Best of luck with your remaiden!

As for no MiGs being ditched as of late, I guess it makes sense as there haven't been new MiGs being sold for a while, meaning most of them must have already been maidened and either survived or didn't. Then there is the 'forum effect' and most owners now are or should be aware about the flap-to-elevator structural, linkage and servo power issue, so most pilots flying the jet now are likely taking mitigating measures and taking well-informed decisions.

Hopefully this is the end of it and we don't see many more going down like that.
                            I'm fairly confident next batch will have it sorted out one way or another.

Comment

• Since i need to get another one, I can’t wait to see what improvements was done on the new batch for the elevator, IF , any was done. No matter what i’ll be ready, specially now having the TV available! Extra reason for it !!!
                              Airguardian , thank you very much for sharing so many great videos!!!

Comment

• Thanks for the well wishes, AG!

The F-4 post repair flying was perfect. Even required a tiny bit less up elevator set (I have marks on the fuselage).

20 hrs of work well spent.

-GG

Comment

• short question: should times the TV's with the Tailerons firmly coupled or control separately? Does it make sense, if you don't want to hover acrobatically, to control the TV's with the gyro. And if YES coupled with the Teilerons or extra? And: is it necessary to couple the ailerons together with the tailerons and also to switch to the gyro or rather separately switchable, mixable only from the transmitter?
                                  I'm not sure yet how I should connect tailerons, ailerons and TV's together now and what all should go through the gyro.

Arrived today 😂

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210324_115551.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	305585

Comment

• Any UK bloggers out there tell me if the Mig 29 will fit in a UK Vauxhal Astra Estate without taking the Wings off. Have a feeling it might be to big and do not really want to keep taking the wings off every time I want to take it to the field???

Comment

• I will say they did a good job with this model as far as wing removal goes. I leave my spar in the fuse, lower the gear and put the wings on with the plane on the gear at the bench or on the ground. The screws stay in the wings so you don't have to fumble around with them, with the plane on its wheels they hang perfectly ready to be screwed in. In all it take maybe 2 mins to set up, my A-10 take at least double the time I feel like.
                                      As far as fitment I remove the wings for my Toyota highlander, I could imagine a good amount of hanger rash trying to maneuver this large of a foam jet with this wings on in tighter spaces. Plus I like to fit more than one plane if I can.
                                      Good luck, hope that doesn't detour you from getting one, it's a great jet when setup properly.

Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                                      Any UK bloggers out there tell me if the Mig 29 will fit in a UK Vauxhal Astra Estate without taking the Wings off. Have a feeling it might be to big and do not really want to keep taking the wings off every time I want to take it to the field???

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyingpit View Post
                                        I'm not sure yet how I should connect tailerons, ailerons and TV's together now and what all should go through the gyro.
                                        There are many different ways that will work ok.

I'd recommend for starters:

Keep ailerons as ailerons. (roll)
                                        Keep rudders as rudders. (yaw)
                                        Keep flaps as flaps.

Use stabs as tailerons. (roll + yaw)
                                        Use vectored nozzles mixed to work in the 3 axis (roll + pitch + yaw) but detached from trim!

If you want to use a 3-axis gyro to improve post-stall maneuvering predictability, install it on the nozzles and use high gain settings.
                                        If you want to use a 3-axis gyro to improve behavior in presence of wind gusts, install it on the stabs and rudders, use low gain settings.

If you want both, install 2 gyros or find a suitable high end gyro that can do it all.
                                        ...or link the stabs and nozzles together but there are many disadvantages to that and I wouldn't personally recommend it.

Comment

• Finally got around to uploading RudyD54 's first flights of his Mig 29 after installing the TV nozzles. It was a bit windy 12-18 mph and gusty so the first flight of the video is with the TV off, to re-trim after adding the nozzles and to get reacquainted with the sticks. Second flight on the video is with the TV's on. After seeing him fly with this, IMO, the TV's are a must if you have this bird. I plan on setting mine up exactly as he did and using the same upgrades/modifications, assuming it ever get's back in stock. As you can tell from the video's he posted, each subsequent flight got significantly better. The TV's turned a severely challenged pilot into a potential "rock star".

Also uploaded another of his Gripen flights the same day: https://youtu.be/viGPKJgbgIo

So here's the Mig:

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                          X