X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Folk´s

Now im also a MIG-29 Owner. I bought it from private, is new and in perfect condition. I can't wait to get her flying.

Klaus

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210306_101116.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	302870
    Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Klaus - Excellent. You will like the MiG.

A suggestion: You will enjoy her for a longer period of time IF you will take the time to read ALL the posts in this MiG forum. There is a lot to learn to ensure you avoid crashing it. You need to determine what mods were done and decide which you will do. Some ideas for mods are a MUST and others maybe not.

DO NOT FLY FAST WITH FLAPS DOWN. If you do, you run the risk of becoming a lawn dart.

Ask us, if you have questions.

-GG

Comment

• Thank you

I have been reading this forum for a while and only after that I decided to buy a MIG29. :-) The Mig29 is my third jet. Still waiting are an SU-57 PAK-FA and an SU-35.
        There is a lot to read and learn here, I am excited!!!

Klaus

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyingpit View Post
          Thank you

I have been reading this forum for a while and only after that I decided to buy a MIG29. :-) The Mig29 is my third jet. Still waiting are an SU-57 PAK-FA and an SU-35.
          There is a lot to read and learn here, I am excited!!!

Klaus
          Great choice Flyingpit !! It’s big , make room on the bench .

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

I had basically the same thing happen today. The wind was 10mph and gusty. On short final I got a bit slow and a gust upset the plane. I added power to keep the plane flying and the nose popped up to about a 45 degree nose up attitude. The plane was basically stopped (no ground speed, but still had the 10 mph wind) and about 3-4 feet in the air. I modulated the throttle and backed the plane down to the ground for a tail first touch and a 2 foot roll out. No damage at all.
            Great save then! I wished I could do it over again just for practice. I think I would be easy on the power up part. Watch the nose better for any signs. It caught me because most planes including jets just don't do this. Totally a low speed application thing. Oh well, parts are coming.
            Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Anyone planning on putting TVs on to remove the problem?

Comment

• I'm gonna go the thrust re-alignment route. The thought is to cut the exhausts off and shave an angle to them. I'll start conservative and dial them in after test flights.
                Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Finally done with the cockpit...

Name:	HS Cockpit 1.JPG
Views:	873
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	302900

Name:	HS Cockpit 2.JPG
Views:	904
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	302901

Name:	HS Cockpit 3.JPG
Views:	907
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	302902

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    Anyone planning on putting TVs on to remove the problem?
                    Done. Just waiting for winter to be over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                      Anyone planning on putting TVs on to remove the problem?
                      I put mine on so the elevators have a little assistance and aren't solely responsible for pitch changes. Figured with the falling leaf stall and possible elevator to flap issues it can't hurt. Having extra aerobatic capabilities is of course a nice bonus!

Comment

• Nice touch with the afterburners.

Comment

• Frank die sieht so super aus 👏👏 Kompliment top Arbeit. Gruß chris

Comment

• Radar-Guy: That cockpit detail is looking really awesome!

Do you plan to make the stl-files (commercially) available?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrisi f-18 View Post
                              Frank die sieht so super aus 👏👏 Kompliment top Arbeit. Gruß chris
                              Danke, Chris!

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
                              Radar-Guy: That cockpit detail is looking really awesome!

Do you plan to make the stl-files (commercially) available?
                              Thanks as well. The answer is (currently) no. I don't like to spend even more time on it, there are other projects to be finished. Most of the files will only look nice when printed with an SLA printer, I didn't try those on an FDM type.There are many individual parts, it would need some kind of "instructions" and it's still no simple 'paint and glue' job. Hence, it's not worth the effort for (at most) a handful of downloads.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-08 094929.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	303016

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-08 095059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	303017

Click image for larger version  Name:	Canopy Bow 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	303018

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4357.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	303019

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Mig  VT2.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	303045I

nstalled my Vector thrust, nice fit.

Didn’t find the correct way to have all 3 channels (rudder, Elevator, ailerons) on the VT with my 8 ch receiver, ordered a 9ch receiver and hope to find the correct proper wiring and mixing

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mig VT1.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	303044
                                Attached Files

Comment

• I have made some cosmetic improvements to the 3DP files for the VT nozzles.

This is a nozzle to replace the stock foam one in the Freewing MiG29 with VT. The foam nozzle is just held on with tacky adhesive and can be removed without damage if you're careful. There are two versions, one with the inner petals extended beyond the outer ones, and one where they are not. Take your pick. Print with minimal infill if weight is a problem.

Comment

• Question for the group, regarding the reports of how the model can enter a "deep stall" where the nose pitches way up and won't respond.

I am wondering if perhaps this tendency might be slightly worse with the "less nose heavy" balance point that so many of you have been using.
                                    In other words, once I get my balance point moved back a little, do you think that this is something that is more likely to occur. Or, does this happen mainly when you force it and perhaps I don't need to worry about it during normal operations.
                                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Yes moving the cg aft makes it less stable, but I can't be totally sure about it unless Airguardian confirms it.

Comment

• I have experienced the high alpha, deep stall with the CG on the factory mark and aft of the mark. The thrust line is such that the instinct to full power out of the high alpha stall actually serves to hold the nose up making recovery impossible, It's something you can practice and actually use to make some interesting aerobatic maneuvers. BUT, the only way to recover is to chop the power and let the nose drop. None of the controls work, other than throttle. Nothing to be scared of...but surely to be cognizant of and CAUTIOUS of when down low.

That being said, altitude is your friend. If you get into a high alpha, deep stall down low on final approach, you are pretty much toast unless you are good enough to manipulate the throttle into a tail first touchdown without the MiG diving off on one wing. Radfordc managed it....whew! He gets the reward for shortest landing roll.

So, what's a body to do? Foremost....enjoy the MiG and don't be afraid of it. It's such a fun bird to fly. But, also consider the following:

1. Consider installing a gyro to prevent gusts from pitching the nose up in the pattern or when down low. And/or install the TV units.
                                        2. If you don't want to install a gyro or TV units, then carry a bit more speed in the pattern when it is gusty and WATCH for and quickly correct gusts pitching up the nose. If it happens, don't apply a lot of power. Of course, be cautious of too much speed with the flaps down.
                                        3. Practice the recovery while several mistakes high. Get comfortable with it. It's actually fun.
                                        4. During recovery, apply power gently after the nose drops....avoid application of full throttle after recovery or you'll pitch her up again.
                                        5. Avoid application of high power when slow and down low because she can flip over.
                                        6. Be just as mindful of high alpha situations on take-off or go-arounds. Be easy on the go-around power until speed is built back up.
                                        7. If a ground imperfection pitches you up into a high alpha on take-off or after landing and while slow...be the best pilot you can possibly be. This is gonna be tough. Finesse on the controls will possibly save you. Application of full power certainly won't save you.

When there are no gusts, I typically reduce to about 30% power on downwind and reduce a bit more while on final. However, after experiencing a gust-induced pitch up on base leg a few weeks ago and subsequent entry into a high alpha, deep stall because I didn't get the nose down fast enough and added too much power...I'm going to be very vigilant in the pattern when it is gusty and/or thermals are blowing about AND carry more speed to final!!!. Recovery from this was: I cut power, got the nose down, and went behind the tree line. Recovery was instinctive...added a bit of power and eased back on the stick...all sight unseen. I don't want to repeat that. Luckily she stayed wings level through all this and missed all the trees.

Some are about to experiment with cutting the nozzles off and adjusting the thrust line. Will be interesting to see how this works.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                          Question for the group, regarding the reports of how the model can enter a "deep stall" where the nose pitches way up and won't respond.

I am wondering if perhaps this tendency might be slightly worse with the "less nose heavy" balance point that so many of you have been using.
                                          In other words, once I get my balance point moved back a little, do you think that this is something that is more likely to occur. Or, does this happen mainly when you force it and perhaps I don't need to worry about it during normal operations.
                                          I initially installed about 150g of weight in the tail of my jet. I flew it like that and it did fine at speed. However, when I tried to jerk the plane off the ground suddenly with full up elevator at low speed on takeoff the plane suddenly pitched up to 90 degrees and resulted in a crash. I believe the aft CG contributed to the sudden pitch up (among other things). If you keep the speed up the plane flys fine with an aft CG.

After rebuilding the plane I am flying with no tail weight. I did still have an inadvertent pitch up at slow speed but the plane only pitched to about 45 degrees and I managed to keep control of it. Of course there is a huge difference in having the plane stalled at 20 feet vs 3 feet.

Comment

Working...
                                          X