Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from NC, newb here and I have a question about the Gripen. So I purchased a used Gripen from a local guy and I'm having a time trying to get this thing set up correctly. I've watched the "mixing" video on youtube from Motoion RC and the spektrum "forward programming" videos as well. I noticed my old freewing f22 had a blue box inside and wondered if the Gripen should have one as well so I ask a few local guys who confirmed there is in fact a blue box inside when purchased new. when i setup my radio it doesn't allow me to add flight modes to a switch, and if I do, then one of the canards moves its position away from center.

OK so here goes my questions.

1. Can I still setup the jet without the blue box? If so then how?
    2. Can purchase the blue box with wiring from Motion? I didn't see it listed under spares for the Gripen.
    3. Does anyone know if the replacement fuselage come pre-wired with the blue box and wires?

Here's my setup:

spektrum DX8 G2
    Spektrum AR8360T receiver

I have the elevon/canard mixed per the Motion RC video
    I have the forward programming per the spektrum videos.

I've been at this for 2 weeks now, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP LOL!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• 1- Welcome!
      2- Where in NC?

q1- yes, there is no MCBE in this. There is a lighting module, plug each surface in its own channel and mix. I can send a spm file
      q2- yes, search MCBE, but you don't need it
      q3- no

again welcome

Comment

• Originally posted by reemo_2001 View Post
        Greetings from NC, newb here and I have a question about the Gripen. So I purchased a used Gripen from a local guy and I'm having a time trying to get this thing set up correctly. I've watched the "mixing" video on youtube from Motoion RC and the spektrum "forward programming" videos as well. I noticed my old freewing f22 had a blue box inside and wondered if the Gripen should have one as well so I ask a few local guys who confirmed there is in fact a blue box inside when purchased new. when i setup my radio it doesn't allow me to add flight modes to a switch, and if I do, then one of the canards moves its position away from center.

OK so here goes my questions.

1. Can I still setup the jet without the blue box? If so then how?
        2. Can purchase the blue box with wiring from Motion? I didn't see it listed under spares for the Gripen.
        3. Does anyone know if the replacement fuselage come pre-wired with the blue box and wires?

Here's my setup:

spektrum DX8 G2
        Spektrum AR8360T receiver

I have the elevon/canard mixed per the Motion RC video
        I have the forward programming per the spektrum videos.

I've been at this for 2 weeks now, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP LOL!

Thanks in advance.
        Setting up an AR8360T with AS3X for a canard delta is a non-trivial task if you want the both canards, VT and the elevons to be stabilized. Here is something I wrote (but be aware it is written with the iX series TX in mind)
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
          1- Welcome!
          2- Where in NC?

q1- yes, there is no MCBE in this. There is a lighting module, plug each surface in its own channel and mix. I can send a spm file
          q2- yes, search MCBE, but you don't need it
          q3- no

again welcome
          Thanks Evan, Its Kareem from charlotte. I didn't have anyones number so i asked the question here. I'd appreciate the SPM File as that would be a great help.

Thanks Kallend, I've seen your post and followed your print out before I posted my question here, and it didn't seem to work out for me. I don't know if im just doing something wrong or if theres something wrong with my jet or radio.

Thanks, again guys

Comment

• My set up doesn’t have AS3X… maybe get Rays file. If you want mine give me your email address.

Comment

My set up doesn’t have AS3X…
              Ok, Thank you

Comment

• Ray should have his file from when he flew his with his DX-9. His has AS3X.

Comment

Ray should have his file from when he flew his with his DX-9. His has AS3X.
                  sending you my email now

Comment

• You certainly don't need the BB.

Just take the time to properly learn how to navigate the menus of your Tx, knowing what everything does and then it shouldn't be difficult to implement the mixes for this one. Literally only needs a delta mix to the elevons and pitch being fed to the canards (No need to feed them roll, really, and it's not even scale if you do so). ;)

Comment

• There is no BB in the Gripen.

Comment

Thanks Kallend, I've seen your post and followed your print out before I posted my question here, and it didn't seem to work out for me. I don't know if im just doing something wrong or if theres something wrong with my jet or radio.

Thanks, again guys
                        I suspect there's nothing wrong. Your TX probably is missing a wing/tail type feature (elevons + canard) that the iX has. I don't have a DX8G2 so I can't try it.

I actually ended up with the AR8360T driving the canards and VT directly (with AS3X), and the elevons by way of a HobbyEagle A3S4 to do the mixing and stabilization on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I suspect there's nothing wrong. Your TX probably is missing a wing/tail type feature (elevons + canard) that the iX has. I don't have a DX8G2 so I can't try it.

I actually ended up with the AR8360T driving the canards and VT directly (with AS3X), and the elevons by way of a HobbyEagle A3S4 to do the mixing and stabilization on them.
                          That's a novel approach. Early in this thread, I X-linked the canards with the elevons (prior to VT) and ran it all through a stabilized Lemon RX:
                          Freewing JAS 39 Gripen 80mm EDF Jet - PNP mastera.jpg The JAS 39 Gripen’s unique delta wing and canard configuration endows it with excellent agility, most notably a tighter turning radius than the American F-16! Flown by more than a dozen NATO countries, the Gripen is a Mach 2 multi-role fighter whose 25 year service

It all worked but by the time spring came and I got to test fly it, I found it was just too touchy (busy was the word I used then) and made the canards just work mixed to ELE. Once I got the VT nozzle, the rudder was linked with the air rudder and the gyro had a minimal affect on it. Gyro compensation is primarily on the elevons. That's the way I've flown it since and I'm happy with it that way.
                          ( @reemo_2001 ) ...........................
                          You are most likely right about nothing being wrong with Reemo's equipment. I've never used an 8360T, so my comments may not be accurate. Setting up the canards the way James showed it in the video is OK but I think it's not necessary to have AIL on them. With the 8360T, he can simply mix the canards to elevator function and be done with it and have no gyro compensation on the canards. I think if canards are mixed to Ele, AS3X will only work on the elevons and won't be conveyed to the canards. If gyro is desired on the VT, then adding a simple HobbyEagle like you did would give that to him.
                          I believe the issue that Reemo may be having is in the programming of AS3X. It's not so much to do with "forward programming" but more to do with "what" and "how" he is programming for AS3X (and SAFE). Doing that for the 8360 should be no different than doing it for any 6-ch smart RX. Mixing the canards doesn't enter into the equation when dealing with AS3X. The critical points would be switch selection, using fixed or variable gains (and how much) and knowing when to apply (save) each setting.

Comment

• Thanks guys for the help. Evan helped me a great bit on this and I think it'll be going in the air this weekend..... Hopefully!

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              I think if canards are mixed to Ele, AS3X will only work on the elevons and won't be conveyed to the canards.
                              Actually you can have AS3X on elevons and also on canards/VT IF (and only if) your TX allows the elevon wing type AND also normal "tail" type. (the "tail" being the canard and/or VT pitch)

AFAIK only the iX14, iX20, DX18 and DX20 allow this.

The thing is, all flight surfaces declared in a wing or tail type will be set up for stabilization during forward programming, so you'll get pitch stabilization on the elevons and on the canards/VT.

I tried it but decided I wanted different rates on the VT from the elevons, which is why I ended up with the AS3X and the HobbyEagle.

Comment

I tried it but decided I wanted different rates on the VT from the elevons, which is why I ended up with the AS3X and the HobbyEagle.
                                Just checked. Not available on NX10.

I did something similar on my SebArt MiG29. One HE on the control surfaces and another one just for the vector nozzles - helped during hovering.

Comment

Actually you can have AS3X on elevons and also on canards/VT IF (and only if) your TX allows the elevon wing type AND also normal "tail" type. (the "tail" being the canard and/or VT pitch)

The thing is, all flight surfaces declared in a wing or tail type will be set up for stabilization during forward programming, so you'll get pitch stabilization on the elevons and on the canards/VT.

Just so that I'm clear, are you saying the above mentioned TX models are the only TX's that allow elevon and normal tail at the same time? My DX8 G2 has elevon wing type AND also normal "tail" type. But I updated my DX8 so maybe that's why?

I'm sorry I'm just trying to make sure I understand you completely. I'm new to this and I'm eager to learn.

Thanks,

Comment

Just so that I'm clear, are you saying the above mentioned TX models are the only TX's that allow elevon and normal tail at the same time? My DX8 G2 has elevon wing type AND also normal "tail" type. But I updated my DX8 so maybe that's why?

I'm sorry I'm just trying to make sure I understand you completely. I'm new to this and I'm eager to learn.

Thanks,
                                    According to xviper above the NX10 doesn't have it, so I'm kind of suprised the DX8 does. i don't have a DX8 so i can't check.

Comment

• After I updated the firmware on my radio, I noticed “forward programming”. I never noticed that beforehand, but then again I’m still new to the menus. Maybe the wing type selection is an update?

Comment

• Here is the copy/paste of the DX8 G2 from Horizon:
                                        • 10 Wing Types: Normal, Dual Aileron, Flaperon, 1 Aileron 1 Flap, 1 Aileron 2 Flap, 2 Aileron 1 Flap, 2 Aileron 2 Flap, Elevon A, Elevon B, 4 Aileron
                                        • 6 Tail Types: Normal, V-Tail A, V-Tail B, Dual Elevator, Dual Rudder, Dual Rudder/Elevator
                                        ​I had the DX8 long ago and I can't remember what it had for wing/tail type. I also never updated it before I sold it. As for the above G2, I can't even say if it's possible to combine any of the wing types with any of the tail types. If you can, perhaps Elevon and Dual Elevator is what's needed.

With my NX10, when elevon is selected for wing, the only options for tail is "normal" and Dual RUDD. I suppose with some creativity, it's possible to mix it such that the RUDD (or canards) could respond like elevators but the gyro could be tricky but doable if a separate gyro is used just for it.

PS. Forward Programming only shows up in the menu if the smart RX is powered.

Comment

• Can I use a spek 8020, and send a serial cable to an ft aura 5, and use that to stabilize my elevons and rudder? I have canard mixing setup somewhat similar to the motion rc described method.

Comment

Working...
                                          X