Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just about ready 4 my maiden waiting 4 callie and dryer weather,,, my 6000 hrb r here hoping 4 some f.ying info,,,, hav watched amost all u tube vids( seen 2 tip stalls) wanto avoid that,, so i have mixed a small amount of rudder with aileron..( hoping thinking that will help... keep up the speed...... looking 4orward to some advice

Comment

• O boy wrong thread meant 4 al 37 knuckelhead

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
        Just about ready 4 my maiden waiting 4 callie and dryer weather,,, my 6000 hrb r here hoping 4 some f.ying info,,,, hav watched amost all u tube vids( seen 2 tip stalls) wanto avoid that,, so i have mixed a small amount of rudder with aileron..( hoping thinking that will help... keep up the speed...... looking 4orward to some advice
        For the PJ50…The best advice is PUT A GYRO IN IT!”

Start with 60% gain. Without a gyro, she gets to Dutch Rolling on final in much wind/gusts and can be a challenge.

I wouldn’t suggest a rudder/aileron mix.

To minimize tip stall, set each aileron up 5 mm from the streamlined alignment.

Have fun!

-GG

Comment

• PJ-50 turned into C-20G with the help of Callie Graphics.

Haven't had it in the air yet, hoping if flies as good as it looks.

Comment

• PJ-50 turned into C-20G with the help of Callie Graphics.

Comment

• Originally posted by bylawes View Post
              PJ-50 turned into C-20G with the help of Callie Graphics.

Nicely done! She’s my favorite bird, BUT ONLY after I put a gyro in her.

Any wind/gust will set up a Dutch roll on final….making landing a challenge. The gyro stops this.

Also, adjust each aileron 5 mm up when the stick is neutral. This helps reduce the tip stall.

Have fun!

-GG

PS - If you heed this advice, you will love the PJ-50! If you ignore the advice….well DON’T ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Nicely done! She’s my favorite bird, BUT ONLY after I put a gyro in her.

Any wind/gust will set up a Dutch roll on final….making landing a challenge. The gyro stops this.

Also, adjust each aileron 5 mm up when the stick is neutral. This helps reduce the tip stall.

Have fun!

-GG

PS - If you heed this advice, you will love the PJ-50! If you ignore the advice….well DON’T ignore it.
                Thanks! I have a gyro installed and it's set up per the manual. You're saying adjust the linkages so the ailerons are 5 mm up like the manual suggests for the elevators?

Would you adjust the aileron throws after that or leave them at whatever they are after the 5 mm up?

Comment

• See below…repost

Comment

• Reposting….edits would not save for some reason.

Good deal and I have my gyro set at roughly 60% as judged by the adjustment pot on top.

First…Set the aileron throws by the book. After that is done, then adjust each aileron up 5 mm as measured at the trailing edge. You are done.

Initial flights on low rate, but eventually you will settle on high rate as the default. High rate is better for aerobatics and windy days.

-GG​

Comment

• Bylaws, beautiful work on your PJ50. What color blue did you use? TIA!

R

Comment

• Hi guys. I will likely be pulling the trigger on the PJ50 in the very near future. I am sure it will be a great addition to the fleet. I have some questions I am hoping a few of you who have experience can help answer and they all have to do with electrical connections. Looking at the "assembly" videos and looking at the manual that is available online it appears the connections from the wings are similar to the connections and assembly with the FL F4U EXCEPT for a few lights to hook up. Ok, I've got that. Transport of a 1700mm ws is going to require removal of the wings for transport for me and of course re-installing those wings every time I take her to the field. Not a problem, but it just seems a bit more difficult than it needs to be.

Question: Have any of you come up with a better connection / disconnect solution? Sure I can do quick disconnects for the lights and live with running the ribbon cables to the blue box each time, but there has got to be a better way than flipping upside down, securing the wings, then flip right side up and attaching all the connections inside the bay. I don't want to re-invent a wheel. A lot of you guys are marvelous engineers! What magic modifications have you made that makes it easier? Are you willing to share that information? Please!​

Comment

• Hi Larry….I leave mine assembled, so I cannot address your question. I will suggest you read all the posts in this forum. Lots to know about the PJ.

She’s my overall favorite, but only if…..
                          1) You install a gyro.
                          2) Manually adjust both ailerons 5 mm up from the trailing edge line when the stick is centered.

Fail to do these, and she will Dutch roll on final approach on gusty days….a handful to land. If you heed the advice, she’s VERY tame even up to 20 mph gusty wind days.

-GG

Comment

• Successful (and uneventful) maiden last Sunday (04/07/24). Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations gentlemen. Takeoff roll was slower than I thought it should be but I think it was because of the thick grass on our runway creating a lot of drag on the gear. A couple of tiny issues left to correct but those will be worked out in the next few flights I'm sure. I will have to improve my crosswind takeoff technique with this one for sure. A friend helped me with a quick connect/disconnect harness for the wing/belly lights. All-in-all, very pleased. Excellent flyer. My "fleet" consists of mostly warbirds (prop and edf) so this is a nice change of pace for me.

Thanks for the pictures and video on your strobe light connections Tom on what you did. Gave me some good ideas that actually worked!
                            GG - Good recommendations all around. Next flights I'll turn the stabilization on and I'm sure it will fly even better in the wind.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
                            X