X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by socalengineer View Post

Got it... I already bought mine with the upgraded power system so I think this should be in mine already...
    No need to "think". Look up the tailpipe and you can see if it's an in- or outrunner. If it came with the inruuner, that's the only motor there can be in there.

Comment

• Sharing a video flying formation/dogfight with a Sabre at an interesting field:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
      Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

• My F86 is very, very stable flier, however no matter what I’ve done, I need to use about 75% of my elevator servo to keep the plane flying level. CG is measured at 180 cm, exactly where the CG needs to be, but I think the problem is the batteries I use cause the plane to be too heavy. I have the regular F86 80mm, not the performance one. I know it’s not the performance f86, but the plane still flies sluggish and slower than my propeller plane.

I use a 6000 mah HOOVO 6S battery, weighing in at 818 grams, 25 ounces. Should I get a lighter battery? Nothing else has been installed in the aircraft, and battery is pushed up as far back as it can possibly go, and i don’t have any expos on my controller. Any ideas to try and lighten up the aircraft or make it fly faster?

Comment

• As your saying, a lighter battery like a 4000. You did say 'any ideas' so maybe the high performance motor, but it should fly better than it sounds on your motor. So did you calibrate your esc?

Comment

• Thank you for the ESC calibration, I did not know ESC's could be calibrated.

I bought the 6000 MaH 818 gram batteries because I want to make sure I wouldn't run out of battery for too long, but it sounds like it makes a small difference for the motor I have due to it taking a lot more power to keep my nose up. Ill take a look at getting 4500 MaH batteries, and maybe I can use my 6000 MaH batteries for my F-16C super scale. That plane should be able to fly with it well.

Comment

• An 818g battery is pretty heavy for this plane, particularly if you aren't running the Hi Perf. inrunner. I use a 5000 Gens Ace 725g battery on the Hi Perf. fan and it's actually very lively. With the less powerful outrunner, you might be better to use a much lighter battery. Also, that Hoovo LiPo you're using is likely not giving you more than 25C. Find something that is light but will give you a "real world" C rating of closer to 40C. Most brand name LiPos stating 70C or more will give you that 40C you need for a jet. (Hint: SMC - their 40C Lipos actually give you about 38C and they're light.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Syntha View Post
                Thank you for the ESC calibration, I did not know ESC's could be calibrated.

I bought the 6000 MaH 818 gram batteries because I want to make sure I wouldn't run out of battery for too long, but it sounds like it makes a small difference for the motor I have due to it taking a lot more power to keep my nose up. Ill take a look at getting 4500 MaH batteries, and maybe I can use my 6000 MaH batteries for my F-16C super scale. That plane should be able to fly with it well.
                I wouldn't count on that battery working any better in your F-16 (see my previous post). "No-name" brand batteries can sometimes be false economy. Take a look at this real world load test and decide which brand you should be targeting.
                https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons

Oh, you can search YouTube for a "how to" on throttle calibration.

Comment

• No worries, it's common issue if a plane seems excessively underpowered.Which your description sounded that way. I'd try lighter batteries and fly it! Switching later to the high performance is easy enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                    No worries, it's common issue if a plane seems excessively underpowered.Which your description sounded that way. I'd try lighter batteries and fly it! Switching later to the high performance is easy enough.
                    Indeed! I started with the lesser powered version of this plane. It was "OK" but could barely get out of its own shadow. Then I upgraded the ESC and EDF to the inrunner and the difference was remarkable. I could actually fly it with the drop tanks on whereas before, I wouldn't dare use the drop tanks as the drag was just too much.

Comment

• xviper
                      Yeah, I just purchased a second hp one to paint like an FJ Fury...since it continues to snow and rain here. It'll get dry and smokey soon enough so I'm not complaining loudly. It's refilling the reservoirs.

I really need to get some of the SMC batteries to try, they sound worth the while!

Comment

• I want to buy the SMC 5300 MaH for the F86 12 blade out runner (non high performance). Do you think it would work well? Its about 685 grams.

Comment

I want to buy the SMC 5300 MaH for the F86 12 blade out runner (non high performance). Do you think it would work well? Its about 685 grams.
                          Those will work as good as anything BUT, you might want to aim for one that is even lighter, maybe below 600g. Remember, my 725g 5000mah runs the HP really well. A battery in that size range might not be as good in a non-HP EDF. However, it will still be more lively than what you’re used to. In any case, those 5300 SMCs will serve you really well for when you get another 6s jet.

PS. If you are going to get them, get them while they have stock. I’ve been told that supply on quality LiPo’s is and will continue to be limited. I’d love to get some but shipping from Florida to me is complicated and the only Canadian dealer has very limited stock on what I need.

Comment

• I think I'm going to plan to get the 4500 MaH Graphene V2 ones, they seem to be better than the extreme SMC batteries, performance and weight wise. The 4500 MaH batteries are 588 grams, and I think I'm going to try them in the F16 super scale, since the flight time for those is usually limited to max 4 minutes anyway. People are saying to stick with 4000-5000 MaH for the F16

Comment

I think I'm going to plan to get the 4500 MaH Graphene V2 ones, they seem to be better than the extreme SMC batteries, performance and weight wise. The 4500 MaH batteries are 588 grams, and I think I'm going to try them in the F16 super scale, since the flight time for those is usually limited to max 4 minutes anyway. People are saying to stick with 4000-5000 MaH for the F16
                              You might as well spend the money on the FW 9 blade in-runner ( probably the same or less than a battery anyway ) which together with any battery 40c( real 40c) weighing around 720gmsor less will then give good performance off grass. The lighter the better, 4000 mah will give you 3.5mins flight time no problem, just vary your flying speed to give the battery a rest during the flight. My cg is set 195mm back and I use take off flaps.
                              Also for those who are interested I have just added Freewing F5E trailing link oleos,55mm dia wheels to mine using 25mm long pins. You will have soft suspension with the standard spring and the plane weighing 2.8kg all up incl 715gm battery. Photos below. I would not go any heavier with this set up

Click image for larger version  Name:	F86 trailing links 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	347233

Click image for larger version  Name:	F86 trailing links 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	347234

Comment

• Welcome to the F-86. Unfortunatly this plane has some things you need to learn (either through your own flying it or by the experience of others).

As noted ALL ESCs need to be calibrated. They should be calibrated when you first set up any aircraft and recalibrated if you change set up, receiver, TX set up etc.

The book balance is not right for the F-86. We do a balance test called a tail sit test to get the right CG. To do it put the battery in the plane and put the canopy on. Lift the nose until the tail touches and let go. Adjust the battery until it will stay touching the tail to the ground if you let go. Once set touch the nose lightly and the nose should drop and touch the table. This is a stock plane with stock landing gear. Swapping out the main struts for trailing links changes this.

To get a proper balance many of us have had to reposition the ESC to be able to move the battery further aft. Be careful using large batteries as there is limited vertical height under the canopy.

The neutral positions of the elevators is critical too. Most align them along the line of the horizontal stab and then find they need a lot of up trim. The proper alignment is to have the top edge of the elevators evet with the top edge of the fuselage. I found this picture to show you.

While we are at it also do a good range check on your airplanes and please set a throttle kill switch for safety.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	347236

Originally posted by Syntha View Post
                                My F86 is very, very stable flier, however no matter what I’ve done, I need to use about 75% of my elevator servo to keep the plane flying level. CG is measured at 180 cm, exactly where the CG needs to be, but I think the problem is the batteries I use cause the plane to be too heavy. I have the regular F86 80mm, not the performance one. I know it’s not the performance f86, but the plane still flies sluggish and slower than my propeller plane.

I use a 6000 mah HOOVO 6S battery, weighing in at 818 grams, 25 ounces. Should I get a lighter battery? Nothing else has been installed in the aircraft, and battery is pushed up as far back as it can possibly go, and i don’t have any expos on my controller. Any ideas to try and lighten up the aircraft or make it fly faster?

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                  A friend did a gear-up landing into the grass and broke the cheater grill on his F-86, so I made a replacement for him.

I have posted the STL file at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5394295
                                  if anyone downloaded this when I first posted it, I made a minor improvement 2 days ago, so it's worth downloading the newer version.

Comment

• kallend Thank you for posting your design. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      Welcome to the F-86. Unfortunatly this plane has some things you need to learn (either through your own flying it or by the experience of others).

As noted ALL ESCs need to be calibrated. They should be calibrated when you first set up any aircraft and recalibrated if you change set up, receiver, TX set up etc.

The book balance is not right for the F-86. We do a balance test called a tail sit test to get the right CG. To do it put the battery in the plane and put the canopy on. Lift the nose until the tail touches and let go. Adjust the battery until it will stay touching the tail to the ground if you let go. Once set touch the nose lightly and the nose should drop and touch the table. This is a stock plane with stock landing gear. Swapping out the main struts for trailing links changes this.

To get a proper balance many of us have had to reposition the ESC to be able to move the battery further aft. Be careful using large batteries as there is limited vertical height under the canopy.

The neutral positions of the elevators is critical too. Most align them along the line of the horizontal stab and then find they need a lot of up trim. The proper alignment is to have the top edge of the elevators evet with the top edge of the fuselage. I found this picture to show you.

While we are at it also do a good range check on your airplanes and please set a throttle kill switch for safety.

Click image for larger version  Name:	001.jpg Views:	9 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	347236

Good points on the F86 Evan. I used the sit test to set my F86 on the stock setup and also had the elevator set as your photo. The Freewing F5 Tiger trailing links have the axle vertical in line with the legs ( see photo below )and do not affect the sit test on a hard table as I tried it with my battery set as in my standard setup. Near as I can measure using my fingers, upside down with gear up this gives me the 195mm measurement so I included it in my post for clarification.( fingers may vary ) The trailing links I have installed do not deflect under static load with the plane all up weight at 2.8kg on the hard level table but they are more forgiving than the straight oleos. Not all trailing links are the same however so those with a more rearward axle would as you say not be good for the sit test .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220601_205929_461.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	347270

Comment

• Thanks for sharing that, I am definitely going to swap out to the F5 trailing link. That will be an improvement for where I fly!

Fortunately and unfortunately I have been making some trips to Salt Lake lately and finally stopped at Hill AFB Air Museum. They have such a broad collection. To many great planes to mention in this thread but it's jets of all era's. And some great warbirds and prop planes. From biplanes, to a Mig21, to a F117, to a predator drone. It's well worth stopping if you find yourself in Salt Lake City! Click image for larger version

Name:	20220208_105519.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	347446Click image for larger version

Name:	20220208_105608.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	347447

Comment

• Unfortunately with the SMC batteries, my ESC calibration and new balance test, plane still has a very hard time keeping altitude. Might be a defective motor. Not sure if repairs are worth the effort anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                          X