Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I do get mine, mid summer I hope, I'll roll 4 blades with it. :)

Comment

I'm thinking about converting mine to 6s at some point. For now, I guess I could try a 5s battery in her, just the expense....

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Man, 6s might blow it's wings off lol!

Comment

I'm thinking along the lines of the FMS 1500 P-47 motor/ESC.
          Warbird Charlie had one in his 1400mm FMS P-40 and it was amazing, stock prop and all. I now have one in my P-40 and it might be the rout to go with this plane as well. Have to run the numbers with the four bladed prop, but if it worked, it could be awesome. If not, I might invest in a 5s and give that a try. I'm running an 85A Mantis ESC in her so should be good.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
            I'm thinking along the lines of the FMS 1500 P-47 motor/ESC.
            Warbird Charlie had one in his 1400mm FMS P-40 and it was amazing, stock prop and all. I now have one in my P-40 and it might be the rout to go with this plane as well. Have to run the numbers with the four bladed prop, but if it worked, it could be awesome. If not, I might invest in a 5s and give that a try. I'm running an 85A Mantis ESC in her so should be good.

Grossman56
            Dan, just a reminder that the P-47 is turning a 4 blade 14" prop ;)
            I just checked and both FMS Stang and Razor birds and the FW Stang are turning 14x8x4. Your good to go on the Stang's with the Razor power plant. :Cool:
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Yeah that's right, I keep thinking of the P-40 prop, would help, I guess, if I bought a Razor, should I try that on the wife, "Dear, it'll help my memory"LOL
              Have to put the motor and ESC on the wish list.
              I have so many birds with mods this year, it's going to feel like a new fleet!!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

I want to do that motor upgrade that you did to the F7F and also what your talking about for the Stang but................moneys are getting smashed on a couple of BIG birds:)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

When you fly with the 6s, video is a requirement! HahahaLOL:Cool:

Comment

If you were to put a 6S pack in this wouldn't you have to add some tail weight. Mine balances perfect with the recommended 4S 2200 pack all the way to the front.
                    My first thought was, there sure is a lot of room in the battery compartment with the 2200 pack in there. I even got my manual out and double checked to make sure I read battery size correctly. Then I stuck one of my F-7 Tigercat 3600 packs in and it will balance fine with it also.
                    Can someone tell me if I can use the 4S 3600 pack without burning up the stock motor and ESC.
                    I am not knowledgable enough on the subject to figure this out. Just got into electrics the past couple years.
                    If anyone could refer a good book on the subject I would appreciate it. When it comes to figuring out the proper battery, motor, prop and ESC combo, I am clueless.
                    I want to use the optional 4-blade set up but am afraid the plane will not have the performance that I want out of this plane with stock power components.
                    Thanks
                    Tom

Comment

I have gone to all 3S and 4S packs and put them in series for up to 12S in the models I have that use that much. You don't have to buy a 5 S pack to go 6S.

As to the specific OEM motor and ESC in the model, I do not have the specs and can't do the calcs to estimate if you should even try to test with any particular prop or voltage combination.
                      Some things would be obvious (like if the ESC is labeled 4S max you don;t want to connect 5S or 6S) and some things may not be obvious without doing calculations.

MotoCalc is pretty good at estimating if you will burn up a motor or ESC.
                      Not as good at estimating the aircraft performance, as I had it tell me that a plane I flew in Pattern Aerobatic Competition (and won a trophy) wouldn't fly at all.

Free trial version is slightly crippled but still useful
                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by TomPatton View Post
                        If you were to put a 6S pack in this wouldn't you have to add some tail weight.
                        Shouldn't have to because there is plenty of room to adjust the battery fore/aft in order to achieve the required CG.
                        You also don't want to use a 6S battery unless you change out the stock motor(this comment made because of your subsequent statement below about your lack of knowledge)
                        Mine balances perfect with the recommended 4S 2200 pack all the way to the front.
                        My first thought was, there sure is a lot of room in the battery compartment with the 2200 pack in there. I even got my manual out and double checked to make sure I read battery size correctly. Then I stuck one of my F-7 Tigercat 3600 packs in and it will balance fine with it also.
                        Can someone tell me if I can use the 4S 3600 pack without burning up the stock motor and ESC.
                        There is NO concern because you aren't changing to a pack voltage that the motor is not rated for. You are still using a 4S battery which is what the stock motor is rated for.
                        Think of the S rating(voltage) as the horse power and the mAh (3600) rating as the size of the gas tank and the C rating of the battery as the size of the carburetor.

I am not knowledgable enough on the subject to figure this out. Just got into electrics the past couple years.
                        If anyone could refer a good book on the subject I would appreciate it. When it comes to figuring out the proper battery, motor, prop and ESC combo, I am clueless.
                        Well the best book is one on electrical theory but you most likely don't want to study to become an IEEE engineer but in lieu of that I found years ago a good article in layman terms that may help.
                        Click this PDF file link:
                        [ATTACH]n119393[/ATTACH]
                        I want to use the optional 4-blade set up but am afraid the plane will not have the performance that I want out of this plane with stock power components.
                        A 2 blade is always going to have better efficiency than a multiple blade setup. You give up the performance for scale looks for the most part on models.
                        Thanks
                        Tom
                        Tom.....please see my responses inserted in red into your text above.
                        If you are going to get into power mods, then you seriously need to get a power meter
                        Best regards,
                        Attached Files
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by TomPatton View Post
                          If you were to put a 6S pack in this wouldn't you have to add some tail weight. Mine balances perfect with the recommended 4S 2200 pack all the way to the front.
                          Thanks
                          Tom
                          Hey Tom, the 2200 and 3600 number refer to the size of your 'gas tank' and will not harm the plane. My Old Crow balances fine with either and I have to keep a 1300 3s in it for the sound system, which I never use, just to achieve the CG. I've flown her on a 4000s before as well, just a bigger' gas tank'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4449.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	119608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4450.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	119609
                          The black mass with the wires coming out of it at the top of the last pic is the 1300. You need that weight there if you have the old version stock sound system. As I said, I don't use the sound system, because I don't like it, but I'm not willing to yank it out just yet (if ever).
                          Now with the 4258 kv460 in her, the weight of a 6s, say a 4500, will add some weight to the nose, hopefully eliminating the need for dead weight. All my flights thus far with this plane have been with either 3600's or 4000's

Name:	IMG_6931.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	119610
                          My Little Gal I with a 3600 in her, should be what yours looks like.

Name:	IMG_6984.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	119611

Old Crow with a 3600 and the 1300 in her. Balances up, right on the squares (you don't need the extra 1300 weight if you don't have the sound system.)

Name:	IMG_6983.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	119613

And that is My Little Gal I with the 3600 in her ( no extra battery) see, right on the squares.......

Name:	IMG_6982.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	119612

It don't come better than that!!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            ..............moneys are getting smashed on a couple of BIG birds:)

Hey Charlie, Weren't you looking at getting the ESM F7F Tiger Cat for one of your BIG birds? I know it was a Tiger, but cant remember the brand. Only reason I bring it up is cuz ESM ceased production. I hope you got it ordered :Scared:

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch View Post

Hey Charlie, Weren't you looking at getting the ESM F7F Tiger Cat for one of your BIG birds? I know it was a Tiger, but cant remember the brand. Only reason I bring it up is cuz ESM ceased production. I hope you got it ordered :Scared:
                              Yeah buddy..........Picked up a NIB ESM Tigercat about a month ago for 3 bills cheaper than retail.:Cool:
                              Just required that I take a 3 hr drive south to pick it up but made for a good excuse to drop in on the oldest boy in York, PA.
                              The box damn near didn't fit in the back of the F-150. :Scared:
                              Warbird Charlie

Comment

Oh wow! Glad I didn't try for that one back when I was in lol

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys...
                                  I really appreciate it!!!
                                  Tom

Comment

Pics CB, PICS!
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      Pics CB, PICS!
                                      I'll start a build thread on them when I get underway;)
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

Bringing this one back alive. I had been working on a P-51 selection matrix to evaluate the E-Flite, Dynam, Freewing, and FMS P-51 models. The E-Flite 1200mm was the winner in terms of features, quality, price, use of existing batteries, and not needing to buy another receiver. However, Blondie was discontinued and is no longer available. This means I need to move to the number 2 P-51, which is the Freewing model. I don't care for FMS after having one of their 800mm warbirds and found the quality to be horrible. I also don't like how it takes them multiple versions to get one that flies right. I have always had wonderful luck with any of the Hobbyzone, Parkzone, and E-Flite models. I love the effort that went into the Freewing model and the quality that comes with it, plus, I would like to support MotionRC. I am sure E-Flite will come out with a new P-51, but not sure when or what scheme it will be. I liked the 4th FG scheme of Blondie and I love Old Crow as well. Actually, almost all of the larger P-51's have really nice paint schemes.

Tom,
                                        Did you get a chance to fly Old Crow yet? Try the 4-blade prop? What receiver did you end up using? I had marked the AR636 with AS3X during my cost analysis, but wondering if AS3X is even needed with this size bird. I don't have it on either of my 1875mm B-17's.

Anyone have any input on how well it handles on grass? I don't expect it to work well on a soccer field, since even my Timber noses over, but the club field is groomed and probably 1"-1.5" tall.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                                          Anyone have any input on how well it handles on grass? I don't expect it to work well on a soccer field, since even my Timber noses over, but the club field is groomed and probably 1"-1.5" tall.
                                          Flying off a soccer field hammered with cleat pock marks is of course a problem.
                                          If you can't handle this FW Mustang on groomed turf then other tail draggers will be a nemesis.
                                          I own both of the 1400 size FMS and FW Stangs and both are great handling.
                                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X