Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a picture of my CG mark. The middle of the red tape is 65mm as per manual. I'll probably balance it at the 70mm mark like Aros.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2438.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	36875

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      Here's my CG location. 72mm which puts it at the leading edge of the inboard wire covering. A bit tail heavy with gear up (I have Robart wheels) but totally within limits.

Perfect, thank you!
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
        This is what I ordered and it was wrong...I had to use the left off my P-51 and order another left yoke end. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n36871[/ATTACH]
        TI...............I bow to your wisdom................I looked at the gear on the bird itself and now have had to order another left strut............confusing............but once again you are right.............!!!!! :) Thanks for sticking with me on this........Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
          Here's a picture of my CG mark. The middle of the red tape is 65mm as per manual. I'll probably balance it at the 70mm mark like Aros.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n36875[/ATTACH]
          Okay, I'm either a complete idiot, or I'm missing something here. If I use your marks, and balance the plane, it comes in nose heavy. 65mm and nose heavy. When I balance at Aros marks, it shows tail heavy. 70 mm and tail heavy. 5mm difference, and the balance is shifting in the opposite direction it should be. Something ain't right...
          I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
          ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

• Originally posted by PlaneCrazy View Post

TI...............I bow to your wisdom................I looked at the gear on the bird itself and now have had to order another left strut............confusing............but once again you are right.............!!!!! :) Thanks for sticking with me on this........Andy

No problem, it is confusing.
            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

No problem, it is confusing.
              I also responded to somethings on your build thread. I'm a bit confused on the grooves on the "pin" that you made. Would it be too much trouble to explain what's going on there. I don't want to mess this up and you did a beautiful job on your mod.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLTRI View Post

Okay, I'm either a complete idiot, or I'm missing something here. If I use your marks, and balance the plane, it comes in nose heavy. 65mm and nose heavy. When I balance at Aros marks, it shows tail heavy. 70 mm and tail heavy. 5mm difference, and the balance is shifting in the opposite direction it should be. Something ain't right...
                Oh, I don't think you're an idiot. I think it's just the kind of plane that is really hard to support level. They say to do it with gear down and right side up. This is contrary to how I do most of my planes (except high wing planes). Due to the upward (dihedral) sweep of the wings and having the gear down is likely the reason why they want us to balance it right side up. Most planes I balance with gear up and held upside down.
                Some planes are just so finely weighted top to bottom (ie, CG near the central part of the wing root line), that holding it level can become difficult and the slightest tilt one way or the other will make it continue to go in that direction. In other words, no matter which way you hold it, it's heavy towards the ceiling. That makes any teeter totter hard to keep level. Personally, on a large plane like this, I don't think 5mm either way is going to make or break the plane (I hope). Sometimes, the placement of my battery in any particular plane can be off by 5mm and I've got a reference mark drawn.

Comment

I also responded to somethings on your build thread. I'm a bit confused on the grooves on the "pin" that you made. Would it be too much trouble to explain what's going on there. I don't want to mess this up and you did a beautiful job on your mod.

You don't need to do that, the pins that come on the struts work perfect. I had taken the struts off my P-51 and the pin stayed in the retract so I made those but replaced them when the parts came in.
                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

You don't need to do that, the pins that come on the struts work perfect. I had taken the struts off my P-51 and the pin stayed in the retract so I made those but replaced them when the parts came in.
                    Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Thank you very much for your help!

Glad to help, I love this stuff!
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• While the plane is not complete, it was complete enough to maiden. Everything went very well. I balanced the plane per the video and it flew Great. No bad surprises at all. The only surprise I had was how nice it sounds on a high speed fly by. I got 3 flights in today and should have more next week. I'm excited about the event at the Apollo Field on 4/9. I can't wait to put my P-38 in the sky with the others.

Comment

• Got back from the Toledo show and jumped back to building.
                          Did some rivet work on the wings last night. Though they're hard to see it does add to the effect.
                          Today the props were painted and weathered. Tomorrow they'll be balanced then for all purposes " Little Pig " is ready to fly.
                          Did some work to the super charger intakes. They will be sealed and painted tomorrow. With major construction done I can now get to the cosmetics.
                          Tomorrow I'll add rivets to the booms and pod.

Woody
                          Attached Files

Comment

• roys001 - Congrats on the successful maiden! Isn't she a beauty? I knew she would be but it's always better when you experience it first hand. And the sound...You bring up a good point that isn't brought up often enough...When the props are balanced, she has this distinct, sweet whine to her as she passes by that is so cool! Even my flying buddy pointed the sound out to me without me saying anything. It's a really cool feature that we don't mention often.

ruffneckx1 - Dude, those rivets look sweet! Very nicely done my friend. Sigh. Just more work for me to do thanks a lot. ;)
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Okay, I like what you did here, although I am not quite sure I follow the procedure and parts used. Would you mind doing a review for me? I noticed the struts first thing and thought, there must be a way to improve them, i.e., get rid of the plastic parts. Appreciate your help.

Comment

• "They say to do it with gear down and right side up." Where did you read this? It is not in the manual.

Comment

• Never mind. It is on the build video.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                    Here's a revised label for the blue box. This will do the following:

Make the Landing Light turn on and off with gear up and down.
                                    Make the wingtip lights stay on steady,
                                    Make the formation lights (under the belly) strobe.

If you want the formation lights steady but the wingtips to strobe, you'll need to Y the wingtip light leads together.

You're welcome. :)

Thanks that clears things up.

Mike
                                    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Aros...........THX. Doing the rivets isn't too bad. I'm using a pattern marking wheel used in sewing. Just follow a straight edge with very little pressure.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by ruffneckx1 View Post
                                        Got back from the Toledo show and jumped back to building.
                                        Did some rivet work on the wings last night. Though they're hard to see it does add to the effect.
                                        Today the props were painted and weathered. Tomorrow they'll be balanced then for all purposes " Little Pig " is ready to fly.
                                        Did some work to the super charger intakes. They will be sealed and painted tomorrow. With major construction done I can now get to the cosmetics.
                                        Tomorrow I'll add rivets to the booms and pod.

Woody
                                        Awesome detail!
                                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• TiredIron GRB...THX.

Woody

Comment

Working...
                                          X