Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Iowa 54, are you going to make it to Muncie?

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arycon View Post

Brandon,

Happy to see you tackling the Mr RC Sound System install. I intend to do this myself. With a bird this big, how can you not?

How difficult was mounting the TT-25's?

Are you planning on permanently affixing the cut foam back on the pylon it or making it removable?

Where do you intend to mount the sound card unit?

There isnt much room on this plane for additions. Im curious how much the TT-25's will shift the weight forward of the CoG. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on everything and how the sound build is going.

I'll post more when the sound card arrives. As of right now I intend to re-glue the temporary hatches I made under the engine pods, but not until the sound card arrives and I can test it all out
      Brandon Moon

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
        Hey Iowa 54, are you going to make it to Muncie?

Grossman56
        No our club has a Float fly that sat and Sig has a 3 day fly in that's a short drive from here.. Would be fun though!

Comment

• Looking good there Flyer Phill!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey Flyer Phill, I see by your pictures your using the yellow tub frog tape and the tamiya spray paints. Good choice, I've had great luck with both of those myself. Also, Brandon, I now have those P-40 struts for the main gear replacements. I haven't installed them yet but I did notice the hole in the strut is somewhat larger than the original strut wire in diameter. What was your solution for that ? Cheers,Brad

Comment

• Well, got my maiden in this morning. Plane flew very nice with plenty of power on a pair of Turnigy Heavy Duty 3300mah 4s 60C batteries. Kept the first couple of flights to 4:00 min and ended with about 65-70% left. Only required a few clicks of right aileron trim and a click of down. Slight crosswind but landings went well on the paved strip we have. Didn't attempt using flaps this time out, but will give it a try next time pending the conditions. Overall, I'm very pleased with this plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
                Well, got my maiden in this morning. Plane flew very nice with plenty of power on a pair of Turnigy Heavy Duty 3300mah 4s 60C batteries. Kept the first couple of flights to 4:00 min and ended with about 65-70% left. Only required a few clicks of right aileron trim and a click of down. Slight crosswind but landings went well on the paved strip we have. Didn't attempt using flaps this time out, but will give it a try next time pending the conditions. Overall, I'm very pleased with this plane.
                Grats on the maiden. Must needs video!

Comment

• This morning I was alone when I did the maiden. Next time out I'll see if I can get someone to take a video.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                    Hey Flyer Phill, I see by your pictures your using the yellow tub frog tape and the tamiya spray paints. Good choice, I've had great luck with both of those myself. Also, Brandon, I now have those P-40 struts for the main gear replacements. I haven't installed them yet but I did notice the hole in the strut is somewhat larger than the original strut wire in diameter. What was your solution for that ? Cheers,Brad

Hi Brad,

The stock strut leg wire is 4.1mm and the Hole in the P-40B struts is for 5mm Strut wire. I took some aluminum tape and built up a thickness for it to insert in the the P40 strut and cinched down the grub screws...so far its holding nicely and haven't had any problems, but I may go back later and JB weld them together for better piece of mind. OR...I'm going the make some 5mm strut bends to replace the stock ones. Haven't decided yet? Like I said, as for right now its holding fine and haven't experienced any problems, but I've only had 3 flights on them.
                    Brandon Moon

Comment

• Nearly there. Just need to complete the invasion stripes, throws and CofG.

The home hangar seems to breed!!

Comment

• I'd like to replace the mains with the Robarts I have. I've seen a couple posts about the grub screws but was wondering what size SAE/Metric they are?
                        Thanks, Mark

Comment

• Looking good Phill! Love the paint scheme and struts.

Comment

• I have to say...if ever there was an ARF foamy worthy of customization and some detail work and upgrades.....this airframe is hands down the on the top of the list. The model has size, weight and most of all performance.....the scale fidelity bone stock is fine un-molested...however just a little bit of extra work go's a long way - as if the effort is multiplied. Some planes look and present well but don't perform or - do not show signs of lasting durability. I think this airframe is a boss hoss beefy R/C and should provide many hours of flight service without issue.

​Flyer Phill - looking at your paint decals and landing gear modifications "Excellent" ....are those Oleo's the FMS 1450mm P-51D struts?

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Hey Brandon, good idea on the tape. I had subsequently thought about using some K@S aluminum tubing as a sleeve to slide over the stock strut wire to build it out but haven't checked to see if there is a diameter -or two- that will work. Also ,if that does work, maybe notch the tubing so the grub screw can still seat on the strut wire directly. Your thoughts? Also, if you have the cut dimensions of the cuts you made on the stock strut wires, that would be great if you could supply those in the interest of only doing it once. Many Thanks,Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                                I have to say...if ever there was an ARF foamy worthy of customization and some detail work and upgrades.....this airframe is hands down the on the top of the list. The model has size, weight and most of all performance.....the scale fidelity bone stock is fine un-molested...however just a little bit of extra work go's a long way - as if the effort is multiplied. Some planes look and present well but don't perform or - do not show signs of lasting durability. I think this airframe is a boss hoss beefy R/C and should provide many hours of flight service without issue.

​Flyer Phill - looking at your paint decals and landing gear modifications "Excellent" ....are those Oleo's the FMS 1450mm P-51D struts?

TwistedGrin
                                HI Twisted, the mains are FMS 1400mm P-40B struts with P-51 wheels. The nose is an FMS 1400mm P-51 unit with a Robart 2.5".

Comment

• Video or it didn't happen! ;)
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hi Gang, Just a followup to the previous post to Brandon on the gap between the stock wire strut for the mains and the P-40 upgrade strut. I purchased a length of 3/16" K&S aluminum tubing and with a wall thickness of .14, it is a nice snug fit over the strut wire and slightly loose on the P-40 oleo strut. Maybe a single wrap of the aluminum tape or just some thread locker to fill the slight remaining gap. Again, I invite your input. Brad

Comment

• Added single wing connectors...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyer Phill View Post
                                        Added single wing connectors...

Genius! Must needs details. Id like to do this.

Comment

• They look like MPX connectors from Hobby King. At least one YouTube out there that talks about them. Certainly grabbed my attention. Would love to hear about anyones experience with using them.
                                          Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
                                          R. A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                                          X