Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also have an apc 13x6.5e that might be easier on the motor. The stock multi piece prop probably shouldn't be spun an additional 4000rpm over its intended use, at least not without some safety glasses, yikes . . .

Comment

• Caution using that, it has a small hub. All APC have a max rpm number. I suggest finding what it is for that prop on the APC web site.

Comment

• good point, thanks. according to apc e props are good for 150,000rpm / inch diameter. example 10x_ would be 15,000 max rpm.

580kv x 25.2 = 14,616 rpm
        580kv x 25 v = 14,500 rpm
        580kv x 24 v = 13,920 rpm
        580kv x 22.8 = 13,224 rpm

150,000 / 13 = 11,538 rpm
        150,000 / 12 = 12,500 rpm
        150,000 / 11 = 13,636 rpm

11x11 make a wish

I ordered this prop adapter, i'll give the 12x8e apc prop a try

Comment

• Hello group! I just recently received my Bearcat and saw the pin hinges. I’ve never installed these things and am probably overly intimidated by them. Principal seems straight forward enough but the pins go in one way, and if I mess up on possibly gluing it in place the hinge is no longer a hinge. Plus the instructions aren’t especially clear. Wondering if any of you could point me to some good info or pointers on things you may have done. And it seems like only the rudder? But could also be for ailerons? Thanks all.

Comment

• I personally have never used them in the years of flying my Bearcats. I've only had one incident where I could see an aileron starting to separate from the wing. I removed it and reapplied it with Foam-Tac and its been good ever since. You bring up a good point though because I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that they used those hinges.
            BTW, I run bigger motors than stock as well, still no problem with control surfaces.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• That’s good to know! I appreciate the feedback!

Comment

• Question for those that have installed the sport power package, did you have to add weight to the nose? After changing mine c.g. is about a 1/2" aft of recommended location. I flew it that way, flew just fine. Whe pulling back the power to land nose does not drop, plane just comes down flat. Made it a little harder to land. Think I must be getting close to tail heavy. Did make 2 succesful flights. Sure do like the increase in power and speed with the sport package.

Comment

• Interesting. What size battery are you using? I generally fly mine with 3600 4s's and occasionally a 4000 moved back about 1/4". I think if you feel your close to tail heavy, instead of adding weight, go a bit bigger battery. When I upgraded my power plant, I went to a 650 kv with an 85 amp ESC spinning an FMS 1400mm Corsair prop and had to add a tab of weight to the tail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5311.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	372704

When I rebuilt Bearcat One, I used a 750kv with an 85A ESC spinning the stock four blade prop and didn't need any weight in the tail.

Name:	IMG_5648.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	372705

The point being that I've never run across one that was tail heavy, even running the stock system. I assume you cg'd it upside down with the gear extended?
                  Anyway, good luck with it and be cautious when adding weight. Dead weight is, well, dead, at least you get more flight time with a bigger battery.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Pilot Ryan showing the correct CG position

Name:	image_5537.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	372707

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I'm using hrb 4s 4000 as far forward as possible. Balancing on the panel line just aft of his finger. Yep, upside down with gear extended.

Comment

• Grossman,

Love your bearcats. Wish FL would come out with a 1600mm, articulating LG with bells and whistles. I would pull out the ole credit card for one. Wishful thinking on my part probably.

Rex

Comment

• Hi Everyone,
                          I was considering getting one of these but my biggest concern was the seemingly long LG struts.

Could someone please comment on how the plane handles on a grass runway with a few lumps in it? Our runway isn't a putting green but we are trying. Does the plane have a history of the gear folding because of the length?

Also, what about assembly? Are there any major problems that one should look out for?

I've narrowed the choices to the F-8F and the FMS Hawker Typhoon.

Also, what is the average pilot using for a LiPo? What capacity?? I'm only going to go with a 4S, so I don't intend to overpower this. I just want to have some fun with a warbird.

If you think of anything else that will be helpful, please let me know.

Thanks a lot for any input that you folks might have,

Bob

Comment

• Hi Bob, I've had three so far and two are still flying. I bought my first when they first came out, so I have a lot of 'experience' with them. The struts are plastic covered wire and you're correct in assuming that grass wouldn't be the best thing for them. The torque on the retract wing mount is pretty high due to the gear length and it's not unusual to see stress marks start to appear on the upper wing surface.
                            To reinforce the wing, many have used packing tape on the top, cut to the shape of the wing panel. I went one up on them and used Flite Metal, which is thin aluminum with a sticky backing. I figured aluminum would be best for strength.
                            Now, I've only done this on one Bearcat as she's something like 6 years old and was rebuilt a couple of seasons ago. One of the things that needed repair after her 'accident' was the wing because the strut ripped out from the wing, taking the wing section with it. I reattached it using Foam-Tac and then cut a pattern from the upper wing section. Cut the Flite Metal from the pattern and applied it over the wing and wrapped it over the leading edge to the landing gear bay. So far, it's worked great on our not-so-smooth paved runway. We have lumps and bumps and divets to the point that the tailwheel sounds like its sending morse code when taxiing. One thing I've found really good for giving the mains a little more cushion is to use Dave Brown tires as well.
                            You can see where the piece was reglued in in this pic:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20220215_102141.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	373249

Same with this side:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20220215_102230.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	373250
                            And after applying the Flite Metal and repainting:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20220221_102253.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	373251

Hope this helps

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• BTW, I use 3600 - 4000 4s in mine, flies great even with the stock power system.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all of that info, Grossman. It gives me something to think about.

We just moved to a new field and it'll take a few years to get the new grass runway to be where we really want it. It's pretty rough now.

I'll keep all of what you said in mind. Thanks a lot for taking the time and effort.

Bob

Comment

• No problem Bob, I love that airplane!

Team Gross!

Comment

• Finally maidened mine. Stock esc and motor, 6S 3300mah all the way forward with 12x8 apc e prop. No fire! lol. I do have some gear issues to resolve. Video to follow with GPS speed.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                          X