Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3948 760kv motor seems like an ideal upgrade for this plane. The motor mount fits into the stock holes, the prop shaft was from La Patrona and the stock Bearcat prop fit onto that perfectly, so the stock bearcat prop shaft will mate up to the motor. I'm dealing with a slightly bent nose so I shimmed the motor to align it properly. The stock radial motor fit over the motor even with the damage to the nose, with no mods as well. I had the other 760 kv and weighed it against the 650 that I have in the other Bearcat, the 760 is lighter but heavier than the stock 580kv motor. The nice thing is that with the battery back, she CG'd up without having to add weight to the tail. Anyone looking for this motor, I got it from one of the 3D FMS birds, can't recall which one but it should be easy to find on the Horizon Hobby website, or Motion may have an equivalent motor.
    Just judging from the amount of throttle for taxiing and comparing it with the other Bearcat, she looks to be more powerful. can't wait to see he fly, I'm just waiting for an A3L which is on its way. With the ten channel receiver, I can vary the amount of gyro by using the control knob, it just doesn't get any better.
    BTW, the battery deck is installed, I used the one out of the other bearcat and trimmed the excess off an old battery hatch floor and it worked great!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220221_102343.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	338483

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Well, the sun is out and the Bearcat is complete with the installation of the A3L yesterday. Traditionally, all my planes get their pictures taken out on the deck. Is it perfect, no, but it's damned close and considering the parts, with the exception of the motor, ESC and main landing gear wheels, are all from a plane that went down in 2017, she's an unexpected surprise!

Name:	IMG_5647.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	338577Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5648.JPG
Views:	647
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	338578Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5650.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	338579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5651.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	338580

I'm noticing a pattern in the fleet now. Two Bearcats, two Spitfires, two flyable Mustangs, two P40's and two Pandoras. Hmm, wonder if that's significant?

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• OV10
        OV10 commented
        Editing a comment
        And I also noticed a pattern, that black cat is always lurking in the background during these glamour deck photo shoots.
        Since I live in the area where Rod Serling came from, I am always at mind to think is there a Twilight Zone
        event connecting your black cat luck to crashes LOL

• Looking good Gman!

Comment

• We have three tuxedo kitties, all the same litter, so it's likely they are in there somewhere.
        They love to come down and watch me work on the airplanes, what can I say??

Name:	IMG_5405.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	338684

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Maiden today. I guess its a maiden as she's pieces from three airplanes flying in formation. Anyway, it flew, well like a Bearcat flies, a couple of clicks of elevator and she was in the groove. One gear door is giving me trouble so I'll have to play around with that, but otherwise...
          I can honestly say that I've never had an issue maidening any of my Bearcats, this being, in essence the fourth maiden, she's a great airplane and with the upgraded power plants in both of mine, I've never had an issue with slow flight or landing.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Hello, first post in/on this forum.

Recently decided to try a war bird. Came across a Flightline F8F 1200mm Bearcat which was affordable so picked it up. The bird was/is basically a derelict as its previous owner flew it hard and put it to bed wet (literally wet). Flew it with only two of the four props. Belly landed the bird most of the time (according to the owner) and generally took no to little care of it. Being a sucker for mistreated aircraft I brought it home.

I've had it up once now and it does what I expected. Not hard to fly at all if one keeps its speed up. I am however, wondering it I should replace the main gear as they both seem to be wobbly. The bird will taxi fine and takeoff and land fine BUT the gear just seems somewhat loose. Question is what is too loose for this bird? Hoping someone here can give me some insight.

Regards,
            Thomas...

Comment

• There is a set screw at the base of the strut and the retract. It's a little difficult to see and only accessible when the gear is retracted. See if you can find it and tighten it up, I had the same thing.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Greatly appreciate the information Grossman56. Went out and found the two grub screws positioned at the side of the trunnion/s. Tightened all four of them up but the loose strut/s remain.

While going through the process of locating the grub screws I did find what I believe to be the real problem, however, as both retract servos mounting flanges are broken across one side. If it were not for the metal cap each landing gear servo would simply rotate out of position on landing. It appears the metal cap/s are acting to hold the broken section of each flange in place. The cap also is splinting the remainder of the two flanges thus fixing both gear in place for now.

I could not locate the set screw/s.

Regards,
                Thomas

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrible T View Post
                  Greatly appreciate the information Grossman56. Went out and found the two grub screws positioned at the side of the trunnion/s. Tightened all four of them up but the loose strut/s remain.

While going through the process of locating the grub screws I did find what I believe to be the real problem, however, as both retract servos mounting flanges are broken across one side. If it were not for the metal cap each landing gear servo would simply rotate out of position on landing. It appears the metal cap/s are acting to hold the broken section of each flange in place. The cap also is splinting the remainder of the two flanges thus fixing both gear in place for now.

I could not locate the set screw/s.

Regards,
                  Thomas
                  I'm not sure if you have the manual for the airplane. A few years ago I rewrote some of the manuals and still have them on my PC, here's what I was referring to:

Name:	Bearcat landing gear.PNG
Views:	521
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	339697
                  As you can see, 'H' is the set (grub) screw I was referring to. It's easier to access if you remove the retract from the wing. Make sure both are tight as they will cause the wheels to slop in a toe in/toe out manner and if they're really loose, the retract will fall out. Hope this helps.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Yes, the two grub screws identified in the above diagram are the screws I mentioned. I tightened both for/on each strut.

Took the bird out this AM. Handles well during taxi, takeoff and landing. One would not think so though when the gear are tested and there is such a great amount of slop.

Appreciate your attention to my question/s.

Regards,
                    Thomas

Comment

• Not a problem Thomas! One Bearcat fan to another!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• In need of a wing set for this Bearcat. The current set are functional BUT barely. Motion lists the sets as "Out of Stock". Wondering, and I know this is a long shot, if anyone here has a serviceable set they would like to sell?

Regards,
                        Thomas

Comment

• I have read elsewhere that this plane is not very good on grass.. Would you guys confirm that? 1200mm is my preferred plane size, but I only have grass to fly from. I have long wanted this plane, but was put off by reading that it didn't handle grass very well. Thanks.

Comment

• My two cents.

If I only had grass to land and takeoff from I would pass on the 1200mm F8F Bearcat.

My experience to date with this airplane is limited, only having had it for a short time and having purchased it used. That said, on my airplane, the main gear are sloppy moving side to side, fore and aft excessively. This excessive movement is not only due in part to wear and tear but also to the stance/geometry of the main gear. Said movement does not however seem to cause issues during taxi, landing and takeoff while on our asphalt paved runway. However, once off the runway and on the mowed grass (field grass) things quickly change, as the airplane will come to an abrupt stop and nose over.

It might be different on a well groomed grass field I suppose but given what I've experienced it would have to be a very well groomed one.

All in all, I enjoy flying my Bearcat even with its sloppy undercarriage (used and abused) but as stated I have a paved runway to fly from and to.

Regards,

Comment

• The Bearcat landing struts are wire covered with plastic, they are long for this size of model so if the wheels meet some resistance, it tends to torque at the wing/retract connection. Over time, you can see lines forming on the top of the wing and eventually, they may break out, as mine have on many occasion. With the recently rebuilt B'cat, I used some flight metal cut to shape and wrapped from the top of the wing over the leading edge and back over the lower wing. I made a template out of paper first and got the shape right then applied it, painted over it and it's much stronger as a result. I've heard guys using packing tape to do the same thing, but I figured a layer of aluminum would be ideal, besides I have a bunch of it laying around. I was hoping that they would come out with an upgrade for the struts, putting a spring loaded shock absorber in it, but not likely now. So the only other thing we can hope for is a 1500 to 1600 mm Bearcat in the future!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                The Bearcat landing struts are wire covered with plastic, they are long for this size of model so if the wheels meet some resistance, it tends to torque at the wing/retract connection. Over time, you can see lines forming on the top of the wing and eventually, they may break out, as mine have on many occasion. With the recently rebuilt B'cat, I used some flight metal cut to shape and wrapped from the top of the wing over the leading edge and back over the lower wing. I made a template out of paper first and got the shape right then applied it, painted over it and it's much stronger as a result. I've heard guys using packing tape to do the same thing, but I figured a layer of aluminum would be ideal, besides I have a bunch of it laying around. I was hoping that they would come out with an upgrade for the struts, putting a spring loaded shock absorber in it, but not likely now. So the only other thing we can hope for is a 1500 to 1600 mm Bearcat in the future!

Grossman56
                                Do you have any pics of your mods? Thanks.

Comment

• Has this had any factory mods since first release? My concerns are main gear issues on grass fields.

Comment

• Originally posted by WillCorsair View Post

Do you have any pics of your mods? Thanks.
                                    I'm Down for a 1500-1600mm Bearcat if they come out with one someday!!

davegee

Comment

• I didn't take any while I was applying the flight metal, but it's metalic tape, like chrome duct tape, except in big rolls. The wing is pretty thin where the gear attaches and as Dave can attest, the runway we deal with is not the smoothest to put it kindly. The wing panel on the top is pretty obvious, so do like I did, out with the ruler and measure, then cut a paper/card board template, check it for size and modify accordingly, then cut whatever material you have to strengthen the wing and apply. Even packing tape will give the wing some resistance to failing. I'd hoped that at some time there would be a gear upgrade, but nothing as yet and as the airplane is getting up there in age (4 years?) I'm not holding my breath. I also went with Dave Brown tires and that helps as well.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Good morning! First post here - just ordered the 1200mm F8F ($289 🤑) and picking up some good info going through previous posts.

I've not decided on the receiver and have two options. One is a Spektrum AR636 with SAFE Select AS3X and using a Spektrum DX 7 transmitter. The other is using a Futaba 7 channel receiver with a Futaba 7 channel transmitter. I would add a stabilization unit like a A3L or something similar.

I'd like to get some experienced opinions on the options. One concern is compatibility of Spektrum system with Flightline equipment. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                                        X