Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine RC 1200mm F8F-1 Bearcat Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check those gear doors to make sure the wheel locks aren't interfering with the retract. One good thing, she's clean on the bottom and will land fairly slow, may be the advantage to a two bladed prop?!
    Also, those pins on the doors are kind of funky. make sure they aren't getting hung up in the wheels, thread them in a little more and makes sure they don't hit the rim. Gear doors must be at open takeoff otherwise the gear can't retract.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Hi All,

I have tested/maiden for a friend this model find myself wishing for something a bit better. The model flies fine the way it is but seem a bit sedate. I have the Motion/Freewing High Performance F86 and wished the Bearcat had similar performance. I would like to see a 1600mm/ 6S or High Performance 8S version of the Bearcat. The larger size would allow more battery to be carried and a High Performance version would do the Bearcat justice.

Maybe we will see one someday...

Carlos G

Comment

• Carlos just change to a 2 blade and drop in a 6s battery like I did. its fun!

Thanks grossman, after inspecting it seems I had the gear door pushrods installed with the "L" hooks facing in towards the fuselage. Seems this caused the gear doors to open in flight and then when the gear down command was given the gear would get caught on those doors and fail to come down. I removed the tailwheel assembly (nice design, tucked up inside the fuse) and drilled and pinned the shaft back together using 30 min epoxy.

My old 12x8 prop I had has been removed in favor of a 11x8.5 I just installed, check out my youtube channel anmd subscribe if you'd like to see some more videos of this bearcat. I also have a 90mm F18 from motion RC i'll be maidening soon. She's all ready to go just waiting for some real good weather for that one.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrR...TZzRnEKeSYTP7Q

Comment

• Great to hear Bill, I had something similar and suspected that it might be those pins. Interesting that the have what looks like 4 secure points for the pins and only one really is.

Great to hear you're loving the airplane. I've had mine for years, both have upgraded power systems and ESC's. One runs a 650kv with the 1400 mm FMS Corsair prop using 4s and the other uses a 780 kv with the stock prop. Both stellar performers.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Has anyone attempted to fly this airplane on 3S?

Comment

• No, I'm not clear on why you would want to do that, but you could, it would be pretty under performing. In comparison, I've flown my 1200mm E Flite Spitfire on 3s and 4s, definitely performs better on 4s.
              Is it that you don't have any 4s batteries??

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56,

Correct. Recently purchased/assembled/flew the Flightline Ta-152 on 3S and I love it (can also fly the aircrsft on 4S). Since the Bearcat is a chunkier model the 4S system makes sense.

Just trying to make what I have work but if must get some 4S packs then that's what I'll do.

Comment

• I think you're better off with the 4S, Rob. I run 3600's and 4000's in mine. Keep an eye on your CG and land on pavement if you can, those long legs tend to apply a lot of torque to the retract.
                  Also, as you've probably read from the last few posts, make sure the pins coming off the gear doors are aligned correctly. Personally, I use half flaps for takeoff and full for landing. Because our runway is, to put it kindly, rough, I really watch taxiing as the tail jumps quite easily, mine sound like they're sending morse code as they go over the cracks. Check out the surface (a few years ago, it's got a bit better)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9500.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	375003

Here's a picture of my buddy Ryan Ramsey showing the proper CG

Name:	image_5537.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	375004
                  Personally, I love this plane, Bearcat One is 6 years old

Name:	20220316_095653.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	375005
                  And Bearcat Two is two.

Name:	IMG_5391.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	375006

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• RobWetterholtJr On 4s 2200 you'll have to add weight to the nose to get the better CG. You could use 4s 2500 and probably still have to add a little weight for CG You can use the 2500s for the TA, it flies well on them.

Comment

• Good lookin' 'Cats Grossman.

SanExup, good info...thanks.

Ya'll convinced me to take the plunge...two 4S 4000s currently on order.

Comment

• This is a great airframe. Numerous hop ups and power options too. The gear is the weak link, but doable for improved runways. I have a couple of them. I clipped the wings on this one like it's full size counterpart and it flies great!

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Love the Rare Bear! It looks Great! How much of the wing did you clip off the ends? Not sure I'm ready to put the time in to refinish mine just yet. I may put the rare bear paint scheme on next winters to do list. Also, I subscribed to your channel.

Comment

• Originally posted by billsplanevideos View Post
                            Love the Rare Bear! It looks Great! How much of the wing did you clip off the ends? Not sure I'm ready to put the time in to refinish mine just yet. I may put the rare bear paint scheme on next winters to do list. Also, I subscribed to your channel.
                            Many thx! I clipped them at what would be where the wingtips fold, about 4.25 inches removed from each wing. 2023 is the last year for the Reno Air Races. Not many war birds flying in recent years. I think there are several guys on here with racing colors on their Bearcats. Welcome to the channel!

-Den

Comment

• Oh Wow, I didn't realize that the Reno Air Races were shutting down, such a shame!!
                              I suppose that all the airplanes will be stuck in museums where we'll be lucky to ever hear the roar of the engines again.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                Oh Wow, I didn't realize that the Reno Air Races were shutting down, such a shame!!
                                I suppose that all the airplanes will be stuck in museums where we'll be lucky to ever hear the roar of the engines again.

Grossman56
                                I know, huh?! Some are hoping another organizing body/air field will re-start them in the future. It will likely be the new electric class though. All very exciting, but nothing sounds like a radial.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                  Oh Wow, I didn't realize that the Reno Air Races were shutting down, such a shame!!

Grossman56
                                  Sad, indeed! On cheerier news. I went out to the field today and flew my Beech 18 for a couple of flights. All is clear and mostly dry now, runway in good shape (or as good as it is going to get for us) and good flying. We'll probably have to stand down for a couple of days as this next storm moves through, but after that, it's looking Good, weatherwise!!!

Comment

• Yep, I hear they're talking 60's by the weekend, ' bout time!!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56,

Maidened my Bearcat today. Great flyer. One question...one of the inner gear doors failed to retract fully. I suspect some weird air-load event going on (coupled with a slightly weak spring) so when I got home I had my wife hold the airplane and I ran the engine up at various power settings and cycled the gear. Gear and doors cycled appropriately up until just past three-quarter throttle...the air loads appear to prevent one of the inner doors from fully closing...bring it back below about half and it snaps shut the entire way.

Any ideas? Not sure if I can get to the affected spring to try and tighten it up or not.

Comment

• Problem solved. It doesn't appear to be springs that control the inner gear door...but rather magnets. I was able to put a small bend in the metal rod that sticks out from the gear door and it appears to solve the problem with the engine at max power.

Next step: Field test. 😁

Comment

• Yep, it's those nasty pins more times than not!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X