Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all, this is a little off topic. I just have to say that one day, when I'm fully retired, that waiting for an awesome new plane like the Tigercat that raises the bar once again and makes me look forward to the next over the top improvement in future planes from Motion RC corsair:p38:spitfiref18:f4phantom787:ov10 can maybe be the center of my life,family aside, instead of the sanity of my life!!! Had to share that, Brad

Comment

• Hello Mr. Brad , this your appearance is completely understandable. For me ,the above-mentioned case is already in progress. I argue that there is nothing better than our hobby-sport, it's a complete replacement, even for sex ,of course in my age...;)
      Ciao
      Jos

Comment

• Hi MesRcPilot, welcome to the forum and thanks for the understanding. It's the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thanks TI for the update on availability for the adapters vs. motor combo. Guess I'll have to buy the flat of rasberries instead of the basket at the fruit stand. Thanks, Brad

Comment

• I have flown my Tigercat about a dozen times, a couple times in some moderate winds. Nothing real strong, just enough keep my attention on landing. It really is a sweet plane!
          The only complaint I have is those annoying gear doors. I have one or two hang up on almost every flight. Eventually they close after a few minutes. But it just bothers me to see them hung up on the first few low passes.
          A couple weeks ago, FastEddie walks up to me with a set of pictures he had printed and put into a frame. A total surprise to me! Thanks again Eddie! What a great guy, and such a great hobby!

Comment

• Hey that's a cool idea doing a collage of the airplane, I should try that myself!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey Peteflys1, Love the wall stand for the plane. I may have to come up with something like that.:Cool:Brad

Comment

• Finished making my tigercat from matte to shiny.Used Varathane Spar Urethane Clear.Looks great.Question is ,will this paint work on fiberglass that has a matte finish now? Just thought I would ask before I experiment.Thanks.

Comment

• Hey all, if you look at 70sflyer's avatar picture vs. mine, you will notice that the real Pratt and Whitney R-2800 sits back from the leading edge of the cowl more. I don't have the plane yet but just wondering if it's possible to set the dummy engine a little further back into the cowl for scale purposes. I've already ordered the LX B-25 props,hubs, and adapters in the same vein. I just love getting any plane to look as scale as possible. Brad:Nerd:

Comment

• Not really. You could cut back the dummy radial some but you would loose a lot of the cylinder contour. The firewall for the motor mount just isn't deep enough to allow much room to work with.

Comment

• Thanks Beeg, sounds like I would have to cut back the motor mount and get a longer prop adapter if I really wanted more space. I'm probably not going to reinvent the wheel, Thanks for the feedback, Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by 70sflyer View Post
                        Finished making my tigercat from matte to shiny.Used Varathane Spar Urethane Clear.Looks great.Question is ,will this paint work on fiberglass that has a matte finish now? Just thought I would ask before I experiment.Thanks.
                        Hey 70sflyer, I asked you this on the other thread by accident. Just wondering if you started out painting the plane black first and then clear coating? As I understand it, you used 2 coats of the minwax clear polycrylic and then a uv third coat? Let me know, Thanks Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                          Hey Peteflys1, Love the wall stand for the plane. I may have to come up with something like that.:Cool:Brad
                          Its pretty simple to make. I have most of my foam planes on racks like this. I have a pickup truck with a deck lid for transportation, so I don't remove the wings.

Comment

Hey 70sflyer, I asked you this on the other thread by accident. Just wondering if you started out painting the plane black first and then clear coating? As I understand it, you used 2 coats of the minwax clear polycrylic and then a uv third coat? Let me know, Thanks Brad
                            Brad,Yes I did 2 coats of minwax but realized it didn't have uv. So the third coat is(water base) Varathane spar urethane clear with uv protection.Did not paint black first,just went over original paint and it came out looking dark blue.Dean

Comment

• Hey Dean, thanks for getting back to me. Just curious, did those three coats stiffen up the surface at all? I feel like I should be wearing foam gloves when I'm handling these planes. If you so much as sneeze the wrong way, you put a dent in it! I'm hoping someday that the boys at Motion RC will figure out a production method that pre coats the molds with a thin layer of plastic or something before the foam is injected. It wouldn't add much weight and even if it does, so what. The lightest plane I ever flew, back 30 years ago, was a Sig Cadet Senior which, as you probably know, was balsa sticks and Monocoat. In terms of wing loading, the cadet probably weighed double what any of the modern day foamies weigh. I'm sure someone will fact check me on that.LOLAnyway, let me know about the finished surface, Brad

Comment

• I did the same with my Bearcat, really comes out dark and a great way to seal the decals on. I hadn't noticed that the prop decails had come off! You could probably Varathane them on as well.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• BTW, yes, it does stiffen them up, quite a bit in my opinion. Sounds like the thing to do with the FMS P-47
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Hey Dean, thanks for getting back to me. Just curious, did those three coats stiffen up the surface at all? I feel like I should be wearing foam gloves when I'm handling these planes. If you so much as sneeze the wrong way, you put a dent in it! I'm hoping someday that the boys at Motion RC will figure out a production method that pre coats the molds with a thin layer of plastic or something before the foam is injected. It wouldn't add much weight and even if it does, so what. The lightest plane I ever flew, back 30 years ago, was a Sig Cadet Senior which, as you probably know, was balsa sticks and Monocoat. In terms of wing loading, the cadet probably weighed double what any of the modern day foamies weigh. I'm sure someone will fact check me on that.LOLAnyway, let me know about the finished surface, Brad
                                    Brad,The clear coats does help with the dings and scraps. I'm not a fan of foam but love the Tigercat.Most of my planes are balsa.That production method you mention would be great.Dean

Comment

• Originally posted by 70sflyer View Post

Brad,The clear coats does help with the dings and scraps. I'm not a fan of foam but love the Tigercat.Most of my planes are balsa.That production method you mention would be great.Dean
                                      I only have two coats of Spar Urathane on mine. It helps a lot. I have banged mine around a couple times while loading and unloading and all it got was a scratch. And like others have said, darkens it up quite a bit.
                                      Unfortunately, that production method would just add a cost to the plane that I think most people would rather not pay for. There is a coating for foam I have seen in the past, kind of like a liquid plastic. You would have to strip off the paint first, and it would definitely add weight to the plane.

Comment

• After I upgraded my props to the 13.5" (LX B-25) props I noticed It pulled to the right so I decided to go to non-counter rotating props and now it tracks straight as an arrow. The pitch must have been a little off between the standard and reverse props.

Day 226

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7826.JPG Views:	1 Size:	175.6 KB ID:	65239
                                        TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Maybe this is a dumb question TI, but did you just get a second set of port props and change the rotation on the starboard engine/motor by changing the wiring on the motor? Please advise, Brad BTW It eally does look awesome with those props!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X