X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Interesting...we've (in northwest Wyoming) have had a lot of East to West winds and storms lately, which is pretty unusual for these parts. Weather is crazy sometimes. I have in-laws from Des Plaines and Rolling Meadows. Always enjoyed visiting the "Windy City."
    We stayed in Cody as our base for the 2017 total solar eclipse (my wife is an "eclipse chaser" - we just got back from watching one in western Australia). Cody is a very scenic town.

Comment

• Davegee,

Planning on lots of pictures and may get some of me in there also. Hopefully the camera won't break LOL.
      Our weather is crazy too
      Prekin, Your rivits are looking great and the overall effect is outstanding

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

We stayed in Cody as our base for the 2017 total solar eclipse (my wife is an "eclipse chaser" - we just got back from watching one in western Australia). Cody is a very scenic town.
        Yeah, we like it up here in Cody, Kallend. Lived all my life in the Denver area, just couldn't take the changes anymore, and some of our neighbors in Denver had drifted off to Cody, so we thought we'd check it out. We've been up here 3 1/2 years already, and really enjoy the small city and open spaces that this area has. For my wife and me (and our three English Bulldogs) we are really liking things so far. No place is perfect, but we are thinking we'd like to live out the rest of our lives here, at least right now.

Very interesting you came up to WY for the 2017 total eclipse. A buddy of mine and I drove up from Denver for it. It took us about 3 hours to get to our spot that was right in the middle of the eclipse near Glendo Reservoir. But the return took about 11 hours, due to all the traffic! But it was still worth it, probably the coolest natural phenomenon that I have witnessed. To boot, my buddy is a car aficionado, and he brought his Rolls Royce which was fun.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Very interesting you came up to WY for the 2017 total eclipse. A buddy of mine and I drove up from Denver for it. It took us about 3 hours to get to our spot that was right in the middle of the eclipse near Glendo Reservoir. But the return took about 11 hours, due to all the traffic! But it was still worth it, probably the coolest natural phenomenon that I have witnessed. To boot, my buddy is a car aficionado, and he brought his Rolls Royce which was fun.

Cheers

Davegee
          We were in Boysen State Park, probably the busiest it's ever been.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

We were in Boysen State Park, probably the busiest it's ever been.
            Yeah, that's a busy place, and I can imagine with an eclipse going it would be even More popular! Up until almost the last minute, we were prepared to drive either to Wyoming or Nebraska, all in areas that were directly under the full effect of the total eclipse. When we checked the morning weather for that part of Nebraska, it was showing low clouds with some chances for light rain, so we struck out for Wyoming, which was beautiful and clear skies the whole day.

Davegee

Comment

• Finished all the markings I received from Callie and some light weathering and wash. Unfortunately it looks like my clear satin reacted in areas of the wing giving the alligator effect. It was probably bound to happen over summer when it gets really hot here but I’m still annoyed.

Fuse is perfect as is the underside of the wings and all coats were misted on the same so I’m miffed as to why it reacted like this on top of the wings only. I used rustoleum 2x satin. Anyway won’t see it in the air but wishing I just left it as it was out of the box now.

Quick question for the painters in here, if I was to repaint it down the track, can you sand back the foam and then use a filler brood to painting to give it a smooth look again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1963.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	380504Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	380503

Comment

• Jez_AU, Firstly, your Spittie looks great, Sir.

As for the 'gatoring' from the clear satin coat, if you spray a fairly heavy first and or second coat, the 'carrier solvent' can react with the foam regardless of the outside temperature.

I sprayed a primer coat on my F-4 cockpit outside in the sun on a 29o F (-1.67C), left it for about 3 minutes to put the paint can away and came back to a heavily gatored part.

I found I have to spray a couple 'dust' coats about 10-15 minutes apart before I can lay down a couple coverage coats.

I always spray out of direct sunlight usually indoors (garage) when spraying anything from a rattle can.​

Yes,Fillers; Sherwin-Williams Non Shrink FIller helped, but it never got it all.

The EPO foam has a tendancy to 'fur up' rather than sand smoothly, but filler, sanding, and patience can do a good job of fixing many gatoring issues.

Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Im an auto painter and elbee is correct ,, the worst possible substrate to paint ( if u asked a paint manafacturer) would b foam... in auto terms plastic is bad enuf... as elbee said paint very gently. As u go.. any wet coat will cause trouble..( same effect as paint stripper) next subject papa dots finished boy there is alot,, and bit of gentel weathering (my wifes eyeshadow) oh well it works... its cold wet windy ( middle of winter).. should not complane.. work all week ,, just wana fly ,...on weekends.. here is couple pics Click image for larger version

Name:	16877633848804796221747685336458.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	380599Click image for larger version

Name:	16877634558106895471021086242838.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	380600

Comment

• Thanks for the replies guys :) I’m guessing I must have gone too heavy on the top. I’ll send it up this weekend and will eventually learn to live with what I’ve done to the wings..ha! F4U your Spitfire looks great

Comment

• f4u ausie, great work on the rivet detail. Looks outstanding, Sir. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                        Im an auto painter and elbee is correct ,, the worst possible substrate to paint ( if u asked a paint manafacturer) would b foam... in auto terms plastic is bad enuf... as elbee said paint very gently. As u go.. any wet coat will cause trouble..( same effect as paint stripper) next subject papa dots finished boy there is alot,, and bit of gentel weathering (my wifes eyeshadow) oh well it works... its cold wet windy ( middle of winter).. should not complane.. work all week ,, just wana fly ,...on weekends.. here is couple pics Click image for larger version

More details on the eyeshadow, please. Any particular brand or color recommended?

Comment

• No but should have seen the look on her face,, when i said can i uze ya make up!,,

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                            Im an auto painter and elbee is correct ,, the worst possible substrate to paint ( if u asked a paint manafacturer) would b foam... in auto terms plastic is bad enuf... as elbee said paint very gently. As u go.. any wet coat will cause trouble..( same effect as paint stripper) next subject papa dots finished boy there is alot,, and bit of gentel weathering (my wifes eyeshadow) oh well it works... its cold wet windy ( middle of winter).. should not complane.. work all week ,, just wana fly ,...on weekends.. here is couple pics Click image for larger version

she needs some more rivets!!!

Comment

• Another great sorties with Spitfire are done! I removed some extra weight in nose (35g now) and raised ratio of full flaps. 3 points landing is pretty easy now.

Name:	228.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	381509Click image for larger version

Name:	229.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	381510Click image for larger version

Name:	230.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	381508Click image for larger version

Name:	231.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	381511Click image for larger version

Name:	232.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	381504Click image for larger version

Name:	233.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	381506Click image for larger version

Name:	234.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	381507Click image for larger version

Name:	236.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	381512
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Prekin View Post
                                Another great sorties...​
                                PK, I believe that your picture No 232 is a candidate for a Rbt Turner painting. Tally Ho, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LB, I am probably missing some basic knowledge, well I am asking: What is "Rbt Turner painting"?

Comment

• Prekin, well now, don't I feel the fool.

I am thinking "Robert Taylor" and I am writing a cross between Rbt Taylor & "Wm Turner" (also not a hack artist)

Could this be the beginning of the end for LB?

Nonetheless, your photo is outstanding.

Best, LB

Name:	de629347e6286c321ca238f86ef590b9.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	381520
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• thank you very much for explanation! now it makes sense.
                                      Those shots are only from phone camera. I must ask someone with better camera, to take some high resolution pictures.
                                      I am sure, you see, that my Spitfire still missing the former behind pilot. I know about it, I will add it when the flying season end.

Comment

• She looks great! I see you had to add weight to the nose as well. Funny how some of them need that, mine was the same. I was showing DaveGee how much I had to add, I believe he didn't add any. I usually use my 4500 6s all the way forward and my 5000 6s slightly back. So much better than when she was tail heavy, wish I'd known about that before doing a fair amount of damage to her.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• I fly 6S 5000mAh or 2x3S 5000mAh, some other guys added 50g in nose. As I mentioned, now I have 35g, but probably reduce little more. Last flight was in wind. I am not sure if she is more senstive on EL during landing or it was just a wind. I will see in couple of days.

For transport I must remove the wings and I do not use the FL "blue plugs box". Would you guys share some shots of receivers in your Spitfires, please?
                                          Now I am decided to use one multi plug for AI,FL,LG with 5cm leads from RX.

Comment

Working...
                                          X