First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Corsair came with the stars installed. Removed and using Callies Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by Prekin View Post
      Not sure how about FW jets, but FL Corsairs still come clear with all decals on extra sheets. I read, that work with large decals on Spitfire was big pain for some customers, so they decided to make it easier for those. In my opinion, there should be 2 options for Spitfires. With decals and decals on extra sheet.
      I'm not sure about the roundels etc but the nomenclature decals that came with the kit were terrible. If I were to reinstall them I'd use Callie.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

I'm not sure about the roundels etc but the nomenclature decals that came with the kit were terrible. If I were to reinstall them I'd use Callie.

Grossman56
        I prefer to paint the nomenclature. That looks more realistic than some decals or stickers. It will be easy on 1/7 scale model.

Last morning I had some calls and sent several emails to local distributors of masking tapes. Awaiting some pieces for testing. If I find some suitable mask for foamy kits we will list the tapes!

Comment

• Spitfire experts, how about you and invasion stripes on Spitty?
          Should be the stripes hand painted or airbrush? Yes, I noticed the famous picture of two mechanics painting the stripes on Spitfire "DP R" days before D-Day.
          My Spitfire will be "DU L". What do you see in attached pictures. Hand painted stripes? Easy to see, that "U" was masked and mechanics did not paint ailerons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire-LFIX-RAF-312Sqn-DUL-Karel-Posta-MJ840-England-11th-June-1944-01.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	372042Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire DUL Sitenský.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	372041

Comment

• Personally, I've masked them and hand painted some sprayed others. I've often thought there's a great untold story about the day/night before D Day (3th of June to the 4th) when all the white paint in Britain disappeared. Then when D Day was postponed, was there a sigh of relief so they could finish even more airplanes??

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	372051Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3183.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	372052

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• US airplanes came with the stripes on bottom sides from factory, so it is easy question. But some Spitfires were painted by hand and other sprayed. From SQN diary I know, that they had one airbrush kit available, but not at all Spitfires were sprayed. That is the reason why I posted the two shots of Sptifire I am doing. Do you see painted or sprayed stripes?

Comment

• Got rid of the blue box, as u prekin... just used y extensions for gear, ail, and flaps.. directly in to receiver have 2 receiver ports left, can i plug wing tip lights. Into one of those ports,, maybe the morse light to a momentary switch ,,.. dot dot dot dash dash dash.. lol my concern was to much voltage for these lights ?. Lastly r u guys able tell me any info on the scheme ,it came with,,, people will ask me

Comment

• No, the MCBe has resistors in it to reduce the voltage that the lights use to 3V. You can get a light module but really just use the MCBe.

Comment

Spitfire experts, how about you and invasion stripes on Spitty?
                    Should be the stripes hand painted or airbrush? Yes, I noticed the famous picture of two mechanics painting the stripes on Spitfire "DP R" days before D-Day.
                    My Spitfire will be "DU L". What do you see in attached pictures. Hand painted stripes? Easy to see, that "U" was masked and mechanics did not paint ailerons.
                    PK, I'm no expert, just a super-fan, but hand painting usually looks a bit better. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	372067

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_0022.jpgViews:	0Size:	89.3 KBID:	372062
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Mcb is the blue box?.

Comment

• Elbee
                        Elbee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes.

• Use the box.. thanx lb and evan

Comment

US airplanes came with the stripes on bottom sides from factory, so it is easy question. But some Spitfires were painted by hand and other sprayed. From SQN diary I know, that they had one airbrush kit available, but not at all Spitfires were sprayed. That is the reason why I posted the two shots of Sptifire I am doing. Do you see painted or sprayed stripes?
                        Those are good questions, Prekin. I have seen pictures of groundcrews using rollers to paint on the stripes on C-47s, and it was anything but beautiful! It was hastily done, and the main reason of course, was thinking, nervous, scared soldiers on the ground in France would have been briefed to look for these stripes and NOT shoot at them!

The photo you showed of the bottom of the P-51, I had a question on your remark that the American planes came with the stripes from the factory already as seen in that picture. I don't believe that was the case. All operational aircraft involved with D-Day were given the treatment, per specific orders on how wide and how many stripes there should be. A lot were hand painted on and I suppose some crew chiefs, especially on fighters might have put tape up and used compressors that were available on base to do the painting. But I don't think I've seen an actual photo of that being done, so I'm not sure.

The photo of that P-51 with bottom stripes painted on the fuselage was indicative of several weeks after D-Day, orders were sent out to remove the stripes on the upper fuselage and upper wings. The stripes stayed on the bottom of the fuse and the lower wings for several more weeks, officially, until orders were then made to take ALL invasion stripes off. I think later in the year, all planes still flyable from D-Day had been repainted and removed the stripes entirely. You may know something I don't on this, but that is my understanding after studying this stuff for a long time.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• I'd tend to agree with Dave, they stopped painting them at the factory even the wings on the P51D's which were originally painted silver after they had filled and sanded them. Brigadier General Clarence, Bud, Andy Anderson flew his P51B with full stripes on D Day and eventually got a P51D after returning to the theater after a trip home. Old Crow 'D' had invasion stripes on the bottom and had one missing white stripe on the fuse underneath the Star and Bar, which is really strange! I was chatting with Andy's son when I bought the signed edition of 'To Fly and Fight' and I was wondering about the 'white wall tires'. Andy said he only had white walls painted on the B model, to which his son showed him a pic of the 'D' model with white walls. He recanted and explained that it was like a bunch of 20 year olds with hot rods at the time and paint schemes and such were constantly being changed. I could see that myself, having been in my twenties at one point!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Some Stangs flew with stripes till end of war. Here "HO I" in March 1945.
                            When I was doing research for my P-51 project I found some pictures, which present fuselage without stripes on bottom of fuselage. I am happy now, that P-51 project has been finished and now I am on Spiftire.

Name:	C3.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	372121

Name:	C6.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	372122Click image for larger version

Name:	C7.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	372123​​

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                              Got rid of the blue box, as u prekin... just used y extensions for gear, ail, and flaps.. directly in to receiver have 2 receiver ports left, can i plug wing tip lights. Into one of those ports,, maybe the morse light to a momentary switch ,,.. dot dot dot dash dash dash.. lol my concern was to much voltage for these lights ?. Lastly r u guys able tell me any info on the scheme ,it came with,,, people will ask me
                              Did you see my morse code message generating board? Weighs 5 grams, holds dozens of messages, drives the top LED directly. Here's one in my Lanc.

Comment

• Well guys, the first testors of masking tapes are here! We got the light tape I used on B-24, but the another two works better. In attached pictures you can see how they work on Spitfire.
                                1: stock paint coat
                                2: new paint coat
                                3: new paint on decal
                                4: new paint on surfacer.

Now we are trying to arrange first delivery of the tapes with supplier. I hope we will list the tapes soon!

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	372271Click image for larger version

Name:	1A.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	372272Click image for larger version

Name:	1B.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	372270Click image for larger version

Name:	2A.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	372277Click image for larger version

Name:	2B.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	372278Click image for larger version

Name:	3A.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	372276Click image for larger version

Name:	3B.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	372274Click image for larger version

Name:	4A.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	372275Click image for larger version

Name:	4B.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	372273

Comment

• My new spit hit the air thismorning b4 work... for its maiden ,, 2 flights then off to work i go...... 1 click of trim only req,, awsome flyer,, just as i thought.. those wings when banking ..wow seems bit faster than corsair,, only one adjustment req,, bit more elavator to flap mix... a friend who has a real plane. Could not believe the scaleness,, thats a new word i think,, of it, but was fixated on the gear.. cya

Comment

My new spit hit the air thismorning b4 work... for its maiden ,, 2 flights then off to work i go...... 1 click of trim only req,, awsome flyer,, just as i thought.. those wings when banking ..wow seems bit faster than corsair,, only one adjustment req,, bit more elavator to flap mix... a friend who has a real plane. Could not believe the scaleness,, thats a new word i think,, of it, but was fixated on the gear.. cya
                                    F4u, if 'scaleness' wasn't a word yesterday, it certainly is today. Bravo Zulu on your 1st check flight and being a 'word smith', Mate. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

My new spit hit the air thismorning b4 work... for its maiden ,, 2 flights then off to work i go...... 1 click of trim only req,, awsome flyer,, just as i thought.. those wings when banking ..wow seems bit faster than corsair,, only one adjustment req,, bit more elavator to flap mix... a friend who has a real plane. Could not believe the scaleness,, thats a new word i think,, of it, but was fixated on the gear.. cya
                                      The scalefulness is terrific!

Comment

Congrats ausie! I am happpy, that it was not only who think, that Spitfire is faster than Corsair. Thank you for confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                                        X