Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just replaced the hinge on radio hatch.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	125.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	371447Click image for larger version

Name:	126.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	371446Click image for larger version

Name:	127.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	371448

Comment

• Need rivets around that too.
      AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
        Need rivets around that too.
        one simple rule for this project: "Less is more." Just only experinece from first lines of rivets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prekin View Post

one simple rule for this project: "Less is more." :
          That's why I'm not putting any 'rivets' on mine.

Comment

• I changed my mind about the rivets on radio hatch. RR Handy, you were right!!
            I assembled the wings and fuselage to do some last rivets. Now she looks like in winter camo

Name:	131.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	371759Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	371760Click image for larger version

Name:	133.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	371761

Comment

• Going o look great when you finish. Good job. Rex

Comment

I changed my mind about the rivets on radio hatch. RR Handy, you were right!!
                I assembled the wings and fuselage to do some last rivets. Now she looks like in winter camo

Name:	131.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	371759Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	371760Click image for larger version

Name:	133.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	371761
                Hi Prekin: your decals you are painting over look painted on, themselves. Did you paint them or did it come that way? My plane is over 5 years old and all the markings were vinyl transfers, although I much prefer painted on markings. Just haven't found a way to do that on foam without pulling the paint off...

Looking great!

Davegee

Comment

• Dave, unfortunately when I opened the box all decals were already placed on Spitfire. Roundels on fuselage are waterslide decals same as nomenclature and serial number and tailcode. Unfortunately they do not use softer in FL factory, so will have to repaint them. I prefer if all those details are painted. Just like in real. I painted them also on FL B-24.

Name:	196.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	371841Click image for larger version

Name:	204.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	371840Click image for larger version

Name:	180.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	371837Click image for larger version

Name:	184.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	371843Click image for larger version

Name:	187.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	371839Click image for larger version

Name:	190.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	371844Click image for larger version

Name:	191.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	371842Click image for larger version

Name:	193.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	371838Click image for larger version

Name:	195.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	371845Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	371847
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dave, unfortunately when I opened the box all decals were already placed on Spitfire. Roundels on fuselage are waterslide decals same as nomenclature and serial number and tailcode. Unfortunately they do not use softer in FL factory, so will have to repaint them. I prefer if all those details are painted. Just like in real. I painted them also on FL B-24.

Name:	196.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	371841Click image for larger version

Name:	204.jpg
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	371840Click image for larger version

Name:	180.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	371837Click image for larger version

Name:	184.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	371843Click image for larger version

Name:	187.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	371839Click image for larger version

Name:	190.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	371844Click image for larger version

Name:	191.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	371842Click image for larger version

Name:	193.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	371838Click image for larger version

Name:	195.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	371845Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	371847
                    Is that the anti-submarine livery? B-24s sank more U-boats (72) than any other aircraft type.

Comment

• Correct. That is RAF Coastal command paint scheme. SQN no.311. "PP Z" GR.Mk.V with dumbo radar in nose and GR.Mk.VI "PP K" (Kosťa).

Comment

Correct. That is RAF Coastal command paint scheme. SQN no.311. "PP Z" GR.Mk.V with dumbo radar in nose and GR.Mk.VI "PP K" (Kosťa).
                        Hi Prekin: Splendid job on your B-24 models! What kind of tape did you use for masks so that they wouldn't pull off the previous paint over the foam? Painting on decals or markings in my book is the Only way to go, if at all possible. I've had some attempts at it on foam, but usually with poor results.

My FL Spitfire is almost 6 years old, and I think it came with no markings at all already applied at the factory. I painted mine up in the colors of one flown by Witold "Lanny" of 302 Sqdn before he and other Poles joined into the 56th Fighter Group of the USAAF. I had Callie make the specific markings for that plane, but used the stock roundels that came with the kit that are showing signs of age and slight peeling and chipping in spots.

Thanks for any info on how you did your maskings on your beautiful B-24s!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Thank you Dave for kind words, I’m glad you like the Liberators!
                          The yellow tape is paper masking tape. Similar like painting masks for plastic kits. The blue vinyl is 2 year vinyl decal foil.
                          Whole B-24 was painted by the white full synthetic paint. That was good base paint and no etching layer was needed.

Comment

Thank you Dave for kind words, I’m glad you like the Liberators!
                            The yellow tape is paper masking tape. Similar like painting masks for plastic kits. The blue vinyl is 2 year vinyl decal foil.
                            Whole B-24 was painted by the white full synthetic paint. That was good base paint and no etching layer was needed.
                            Thanks for the info, Prekin! Great job!! Do you have a source for where I could purchase the vinyl decal foil and the paper masking tape. I'm not too familiar with those.

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks for the info, Prekin! Great job!! Do you have a source for where I could purchase the vinyl decal foil and the paper masking tape. I'm not too familiar with those.

Davegee
                              The masking tape is in hobby shop and vinyl decal foil you can buy in advertising office or car shop.

Comment

The masking tape is in hobby shop and vinyl decal foil you can buy in advertising office or car shop.
                                Cool! Thanks!

Davegee

Comment

• Yep, mine came with several sheets and no decal installed. Flightline has decided not to send out sheets and install one set of decals. PITA if you ask me.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    Yep, mine came with several sheets and no decal installed. Flightline has decided not to send out sheets and install one set of decals. PITA if you ask me.

Grossman56
                                    PITA, indeed! I don't know why they went to that decision. Nothing against the original livery schemes and those famous pilots, but I seldom go along with the original paint scheme, opting for my own, instead.

Thanks for that information, anyway.

Davegee

Comment

• Same here Dave, a lot of my planes are not the original livery and some have substitute decals like the Flying Tiger insignia:

Name:	flying-tiger.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	371985 And my Spitty is definitely not a stock option as she portrays 'Skipper's' Spitfire in the movie The Battle of Britain

Name:	20200827_100317.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	371986
                                      So when we have to deal with removing decals to apply our own, especially when that was not the case with the original releases, well PITA!
                                      I knew the Bearcat went that way but this is the first I've heard of the Spitfire so I guess we can assume that all FL airplanes are going that way. I wonder about the Freewing jets?

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• My spitfire came decals and all pre applied.. was expecting ,couple decal sets... oh well... would have thought the labour to install them, would cost more than giving u couple options and do it yourself... they however are nicely done .. i assembled it 1week ago.. just waiting 4 maiden asap....

Comment

• Not sure how about FW jets, but FL Corsairs still come clear with all decals on extra sheets. I read, that work with large decals on Spitfire was big pain for some customers, so they decided to make it easier for those. In my opinion, there should be 2 options for Spitfires. With decals and decals on extra sheet.

Comment

Working...
                                          X