Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HotRodCharlie View Post
    RE: FMS 1450 P-51 V8

When setting the CG, do you measure from the wing assembly/fuselage seam or where the wing fairs into the fuselage?
    Measure from the front edge of the wing saddle, where the wing fairs into the fuselage.
    This was shown in this video, see around the 55 second mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3GEjta-ZZ8
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I have a question for the group, regarding the motor upgrade.
      I recently acquired "Iron Ass" with the sound system and it flies very realistically (scale-like).

However I'd like to install the 650kv motor (from the FMS P40) for a boost in performance. I want to stay with the 4S battery and the original 4-blade prop (I don't want to shim the prop blades).

Question: is the original ESC that came with Iron Ass enough to handle the additional amperage from the 650 KV motor, with the original 4-blade prop and a 4S battery?

My understanding is that shimming the prop or using a 5S or 6S battery would require a larger ESC. My impression is that I won't need to change the ESC if I leave the prop and battery alone. Is that correct?

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• G'day mudduck,
        I fly my three Mustangs with the 650kv motor and 4S 4000mAh batteries and the 'standard' ESC.
        Now be careful here as I have had four Mustangs and each came with a different rating on the ESC but I have used the last one, a 75 amp as my bench mark and with no other mods and mixed throttle flying, I have had experienced no problems.
        However, I would not go against anyone who would recommend that you use a higher amp ESC.
        The marker point is, if you intend to fly hard at more than three quarter throttle for the whole flight go for a bigger ESC. It is that simple.
        Regards and respect
        Daryl

Comment

• I have the 650 KV, added the mantis 85 ESC. and I shimmed! FLYS with supreme authority! :-) all on 4S
          Shimming is eazy peazy! I rarely firewall the throttle. Superior performance at 60 % throttle :-)
          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by wrongroad View Post
            G'day mudduck,
            I fly my three Mustangs with the 650kv motor and 4S 4000mAh batteries and the 'standard' ESC.
            Now be careful here as I have had four Mustangs and each came with a different rating on the ESC but I have used the last one, a 75 amp as my bench mark and with no other mods and mixed throttle flying, I have had experienced no problems.
            However, I would not go against anyone who would recommend that you use a higher amp ESC.
            The marker point is, if you intend to fly hard at more than three quarter throttle for the whole flight go for a bigger ESC. It is that simple.
            Regards and respect
            Daryl
            Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
            I have the 650 KV, added the mantis 85 ESC. and I shimmed! FLYS with supreme authority! :-) all on 4S
            Shimming is eazy peazy! I rarely firewall the throttle. Superior performance at 60 % throttle :-)

Thank you very much guys, great advice!

Comment

• Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I just realized this is NOT the right thread for the Freewing P51. My Bad. Sorry! :Crying::Crying:

Comment

• IMHO, a P-51 is a P-51, don't have to agree with me, but, I have a 650kv/85A Mantis system in both my Freewing and FMS P-51(B)'s. BBD is flying a 580kv/85A and she's great, but Shangrila is a tad faster, you really have to look to see the difference.
                I personally love this motor ESC combination and have several planes flying it including the FlightLine Bearcat albeit with the 1400 mm Corsair prop.
                This weekend I had a fellow who is a highly skilled pilot who as been flying since he was a kid as he dad is an RC flyer as well. He came up to me after I settled Shangrila back on the runway and told me that was an amazing landing, I really took that to heart. But, the FMS P-51's D's and B's are just the sweetest flying planes. As a testament, mine are wrapping up their fourth season in the air and are still in great shape, no accidents with them
                But what I wanted to relate to all was what happened today. Di and I had just got home and a neighbor who lives around the corner introduced herself and asked Diane if we flew R/C. I was already in the house when she got talking and she asked if we had any P-51's?
                I said I have three and invited her down to see them in the basement. I guess she had seen them through the summer when I was using the garage as a hangar. We always have the garage door open when we're home and most of the time we're out there as we have no crime out here, nice huh??!!
                She had seen the planes sitting there but I guess we were always in the house when she passed.
                Turns out her Dad was a P-51 pilot in WWII !! Too cool, his plane was called "The Ripper", so if anyone runs across any pics of this plane, let me know.
                She had got him a flight in a P-51 and the guy was so generous, he took him up in it for an hour and refused any money for the flight, gotta love that!

So, you never know who's walking by your house, do you ?

Pretty cool story.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Yep, great story. ;)

Comment

• Neat story. Wonder if she can find out what unit he flew with. Might help with finding a photo if there is one out there.

Comment

• She says has has some pics, but they're black and white, no surprise there. So you know what I'm thinking..........
                      1700 mm FMS done up in his colors. Get her done and taxi it up infront of her house, wouldn't that be something!!
                      Still waiting to hear from Alpha, Aros and Martin as to what manuals they want next so I can start accumulating some funds.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• G'day gang,
                        I was able to put in four nice flights with my Duchess Arlene today and did even better with the landings. Soft as, with a gentle kiss of rubber on grass.....OK, that was a bit over the top, but they really were nice landings.
                        Landings are the part if the flight that I enjoy the most, Yep, you really have to concentrate but if you do the same thing every time, it becomes second nature after a while and it starts to become easier to recognise any issues before they become issues.
                        For example, on the forth flight today, during the landing I felt a gust of wind hit me and I knew that gust would be impacting on the model in a few seconds and I was prepared for it. When the right wing dipped, I was waiting to counter and did so. I was only about two feet of the ground so I did not have a lot of time or room but the touch down was dead square on the mains.
                        It is the little clues that help help you with a landing. Put them away in your memory banks and these clues will resurface automatically when needed.
                        I hope all my mates are doing OK.
                        Regards and respect
                        Daryl

Comment

• Originally posted by wrongroad View Post
                          G'day gang,
                          I was able to put in four nice flights with my Duchess Arlene today and did even better with the landings. Soft as, with a gentle kiss of rubber on grass.....OK, that was a bit over the top, but they really were nice landings.
                          Landings are the part if the flight that I enjoy the most, Yep, you really have to concentrate but if you do the same thing every time, it becomes second nature after a while and it starts to become easier to recognise any issues before they become issues.
                          For example, on the forth flight today, during the landing I felt a gust of wind hit me and I knew that gust would be impacting on the model in a few seconds and I was prepared for it. When the right wing dipped, I was waiting to counter and did so. I was only about two feet of the ground so I did not have a lot of time or room but the touch down was dead square on the mains.
                          It is the little clues that help help you with a landing. Put them away in your memory banks and these clues will resurface automatically when needed.
                          I hope all my mates are doing OK.
                          Regards and respect
                          Daryl
                          Hey Daryl!

. That is also my favorite part of flying good consistent landings that and nice touch and go's. Touch roll push power and rotate. Beautiful site in my book. Good flying Daryl!;)

Roy B.

Comment

• I love them to but the prettiest coming in is my beloved CORSAIRS.
                            Dewey l

Comment

• Recently I picked up a new to me FMS P-51B Mustang Dallas Darling.
                              Thrilled to have her in the fleet. The first flight was amazing.
                              Took off straight, stable and simply stunning to watch.

The landing not so much.
                              Oh well. Looking forward to trying that again.
                              Intagram, YouTube, RCAfterhours

Comment

• Welcome to Hobbysquawk Andre, and congrats on the maiden flight! Definitely remains one of the nicest flying warbirds out there, and one of my favorites.

Comment

• Originally posted by andre View Post
                                  Recently I picked up a new to me FMS P-51B Mustang Dallas Darling.

The landing not so much.
                                  They are such a dream to fly! I haven't flown mine in a month or so...need to get her out and put some time in the air! And welcome too!! Good first post!
                                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Thanks, I do have a video of the flight but the camera was blown out, but my reaction on take off was "Wow this thing is a total ***** cat." Awkward but true right. Such a nice flying machine.
                                    I'll have to make sure I get some better footage on the next flight.
                                    Intagram, YouTube, RCAfterhours

Comment

• Originally posted by andre View Post
                                      Recently I picked up a new to me FMS P-51B Mustang Dallas Darling.

The landing not so much.
                                      Hey, welcome Andre, don't know your experience with warbirds, but just a tip on landings.
                                      Keep your fuselage level and control the descent with throttle. I have the same plane and she's one of my favorites as well.
                                      Another great tip is SmallpartsCNC retract servo sides. You'll bust the wing before you crack a retract side with these.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Can anyone shed some light on amp draws using the 650kv motor from the P40 and retaining the P51 4 blade prop? I would like to still use the 4s batteries that I have. This set up is for a scratch build giant Short 360 twin. So i would be using 2 of these. I have built a giant Short SC7 using two power plants from the Flightline P38 and this set up flew great. The 360 is just a bit larger so I will need more power though. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Not sure on the exact numbers, but I run a 650 with an 85A Mantis and it works great, ran the numbers when I switched over a couple of years ago, also did the zip tie prop mod on the stock prop.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X