Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't tried 5s with her yet. But on 4s Pro batteries, she's great.
    My Freewing P-51 has the same system and my FMS P-51D and P-40B are all running very similar systems (580kv in the Mustang and the Stock FMS ESC in the P-40) I can't complain about any of them. The P-51D, Big Beautiful Doll is still running her original props, three years later, tell my she's not an great and forgiving bird!!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• I have two FMS P-51, a B and D. The D has the stock power set up and flies as smooth a silk. Even though I am completely happy with the D, when I built my B I decided to try a power upgrade based on comments here and at other forums. I went with the FMS 650 motor, FMS F3A prop shaft and a 100 amp ESC, with intentions of flying on four cell batteries.

The B flies great and the 650 motor set up does give a bit more speed. What I was really after was better vertical and big round loops and this set up delivers. I don't feel a need to go with higher cell count batteries.

My concern is that there is a buzz from the prop at higher RPM.I have balanced the prop as good as I can.I have also replaced the blades and base just in case there may have been a hair line crack that I couldn’t see, but I still have the noise at higher RPM.

I did notice there was some very slight slop between the prop base and the prop shaft in the area of the hex at the base of the prop shaft.The plastic prop base and aluminum prop shaft are not a really precision match.So I am wondering if the prop base is spinning off center just a bit and at higher RPM this is translating to the buzz I am hearing.

I don’t spend a lot of time at full throttle, but I am afraid that if this is causing enough vibration that I can hear it, it is causing enough vibration to eventually cause the prop to fail in flight.Also, I find the noise distracting and prefer a smoother sound from my planes.

Anyone else here that have upgraded the power system on their Mustang have a buzz at high RPM?If so, is it a problem and/or have you found a solution?

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
        I have two FMS P-51, a B and D. The D has the stock power set up and flies as smooth a silk. Even though I am completely happy with the D, when I built my B I decided to try a power upgrade based on comments here and at other forums. I went with the FMS 650 motor, FMS F3A prop shaft and a 100 amp ESC, with intentions of flying on four cell batteries.

The B flies great and the 650 motor set up does give a bit more speed. What I was really after was better vertical and big round loops and this set up delivers. I don't feel a need to go with higher cell count batteries.

My concern is that there is a buzz from the prop at higher RPM.I have balanced the prop as good as I can.I have also replaced the blades and base just in case there may have been a hair line crack that I couldn’t see, but I still have the noise at higher RPM.

I did notice there was some very slight slop between the prop base and the prop shaft in the area of the hex at the base of the prop shaft.The plastic prop base and aluminum prop shaft are not a really precision match.So I am wondering if the prop base is spinning off center just a bit and at higher RPM this is translating to the buzz I am hearing.

I don’t spend a lot of time at full throttle, but I am afraid that if this is causing enough vibration that I can hear it, it is causing enough vibration to eventually cause the prop to fail in flight.Also, I find the noise distracting and prefer a smoother sound from my planes.

Anyone else here that have upgraded the power system on their Mustang have a buzz at high RPM?If so, is it a problem and/or have you found a solution?

Jim
        I too am not a full throttle jockey but do hear a slight buzz at higher throttle. I am going to balance the spinner to make this go away but it will take a lil while to do it. always worth the effort though!

Also the 5s upgrade is totally worth it for me. I added a separate ubec to my system so am not worried about it and had zero issues this past weekend. Speed is higher but not overly fast. My big loop test was all that was needed to show that the plane is now very happy!! It still looks scale and not cartoon fast...
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Ok here are the videos from lat weekend. I am a 5s convert... Will still use 4s on occasion but the 5s is really nice jump!

For comparisons sake... here is the plane flying on 4s....

I am chasing a Nitro powered FW-190 on this video
          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• G'day Grossman,
            I just thought of something in relation to a sticky tail wheel.
            The Philippines Air Force [PAF] used to make the tail wheels on their Mustangs non retractable because of the amount of dirt and rubbish that flicked off the wheel and jammed the system. Of course most of their airfields at the time were not up to the standard of today and the tropical downpours would turn their fields into mush very quickly.
            So, my next Mustang is going to become a PAF unit.....no more retractable tail wheel problems.;)
            Just food for thought.
            And another different Mustang to take to the field.
            Regards and respect
            Daryl

Comment

• Wrongroad, a lot of the USAF Mustangs had the retract tail wheel replaced with fixed units late in life, for the reasons you mentioned, mainly ease and cost of maintenance.

Note the fixed tail wheel on 948 at the official Mustang retirement ceremony at Wright Patterson, January 1957.

Comment

• Thanks for that info WV, there is always more to learn and research. That is half the fun of flying models. I get enjoyment out of finding out what went on and who did what to whom, if that makes sense.:)
                When I do a static display, I have a printed sheet of as much history and information about the model on display and the pilot who flew it. My Red Tail draws a lot of attention that way and I often see people reading the sheet and then ask me further questions. It has lead to quite a few people joining our club.
                I guess it is part of my background in model railroading that has me researching information and I have been known to be up at two am looking for stuff when I have a four am wake up to go to work:Silly:. The icon is pretty much how I feel for the rest of the day!
                This is one of the good things about the internet and a good reason to follow the forums. The free sharing of information.
                Regards and respect
                Daryl

Comment

• Well the transformation has begun... I will be making my own version of the Red Tail "By Request". I like the trim tab accents so will leave those and the special canopy as well. It will be a tribute to the men that fought for the USA during the war.... More pix to follow later...

Click image for larger version

Name:	19121772_1160030124102180_8498636240260694016_n.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	81508

Comment

• Sacrilege!!! :Crying2:
                    ;)

Comment

• As some of you know from RCG I'm having some difficulty finding a complete Petie 2nd decal sheet, FMS is out of stock, Motion is out of stock, Force doesn't offer it and Horizon sells them on ebay and Amazon but there cut up and incomplete. very strange. Horizon is investigating why there selling incomplete decal sheets yet they advertise a complete sheet.

With Motion as my go to source for RC warbirds I have to think maybe FMS is going to discontinue Petie 2nd due to the lack of available major component parts. Motion just restocked the Petie 2nd but with the lack of part support I have to rethink if I will purchase another one

Comment

• Originally posted by LICobra View Post
                        As some of you know from RCG I'm having some difficulty finding a complete Petie 2nd decal sheet, FMS is out of stock, Motion is out of stock, Force doesn't offer it and Horizon sells them on ebay and Amazon but there cut up and incomplete. very strange. Horizon is investigating why there selling incomplete decal sheets yet they advertise a complete sheet.

With Motion as my go to source for RC warbirds I have to think maybe FMS is going to discontinue Petie 2nd due to the lack of available major component parts. Motion just restocked the Petie 2nd but with the lack of part support I have to rethink if I will purchase another one
                        Get them here, there way better then the FMS version, They come in different sizes
                        P-51D-10-NA "Petie 2nd”Unit: 487th FS, 352nd FG, 8th AF, USAAFSerial: HO-M (44-14151)The personal mount of Major (later colonel) John C Meyer   Photo by Aleks Lomov

Comment

• Got to the field yesterday to find a perfect 90 degree 10 knot crosswind. Put 1 flight on my FMS P-51 before calling it quits. Had about a 45 degree crab angle on landing.. On the bright side, this afternoon I installed my FPV setup in the Mustang. Ready to go shoot down some BF-109s!

Comment

• I will get back to my repaint this week... it was much to hot to do any painting last week. This week is much better! I fly tomorrow but will then get back to work... hopefully done by the weekend...

Comment

• Ok guys I finally got it done.... take a look and tell me what you think... It is my own version of the Red Tail the Benjamin O Davis flew....

Click image for larger version

Name:	19656943_10213724574134627_7274398335729926181_n.jpg?oh=5e828182e8b3650d826cb4a7bbcafd54&oe=59C93676.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	84678

Comment

• Looks great, but you need a scale pilot; ) I have one of those I'm going to do in OD with my "TiredIron" livery.
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Looks great Gooniac! Love custom paint jobs, :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                    Looks great, but you need a scale pilot; ) I have one of those I'm going to do in OD with my "TiredIron" livery.
                                    The pilot will get painted tomorrow....

Comment

• Awesome Gooniac, beautiful job !!

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Here are a couple videos from yesterday

Comment

• RE: FMS 1450 P-51 V8

When setting the CG, do you measure from the wing assembly/fuselage seam or where the wing fairs into the fuselage?

Comment

Working...
                                          X