X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official FMS 1400mm P-40B Warhawk Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the FMS 1400mm P-40B Warhawk. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I was just on Small Parts CNC and they have released new aluminum sides for the P-40B. I have the Corsair sides on mine but they take a bit of shimming and I wasn't 100% wih them, so I ordered in a set of the new ones. Anyone who has had difficulty with the FMS retract sides, this is the way to go!!

First brought to our collective attention by Warbird Charlie a while back in regards to the FMS P-51's, these were some of the most sought after mods from the group at the time. Now they're available for P-51's. F4U's and P-40B's, As stated before, you 'll break the wing before you break these retract sides. Good deal for $19.95 a side.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Hey Aros,
      Can we get this thread incorporated into this official thread or actually just designate that thread as the official since it was the original on this forum to start it off and has the most info. ;)

Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Yep, good idea Charlie, I was hoping Todd was going to do that when he started this thread. I'm not sure how to merge two topics, so it's in his court. "Mr Aros, paging Mr Aros"

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

How do u get the hubcaps off?

Comment

There are 2 small slots at the edge of the hubcap. Insert a small flathead screwdriver, and you should be able to pry/pull it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
              Yep, good idea Charlie, I was hoping Todd was going to do that when he started this thread. I'm not sure how to merge two topics, so it's in his court. "Mr Aros, paging Mr Aros"

Grossman56
              Maybe if it is larger print and colorized he'll notice the request ;)LOL 30 day grace window for an answer has almost expired :Scared:
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Let's see, if he doesn't I'll PM him

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Just because she's such a great flying airplane, I have to brag about the great flights I had with mine today. I know she was last years hit of the season until the mind numbing P-38 came out and stole the show, an awesome plane, don't get me wrong.
                  I think it was FMS's first step into modernizing their 1400 mm line up and we all know what a welcome edition that 650 kv motor was, how many of us have converted several planes to 650 kv power?
                  The beauty of this plane, aside from its great flight characteristics, is the fact that the dirtier and more roughed up it gets, the more authentic it looks!! Remember that the Flying Tigers were flying junk! The brits handed them over to Chennault and the CAF because they were getting the P-40E Kittyhawks which were superior to the B and C models. Nice guys, here's this antiquated airplane, go ahead and fly it against the best fighters produced up to this time!

We were watching a documentary on Pearl Harbor the other night and I chuckled when they were talking about the Zero. Claire Chennault had send a message to the War Department telling them, up front, the realities of flying against this airplane, the report was dropped into the nearest trash can as fantasy.
                  The documentary stated that the Flying Tigers had been flying against it for quite some time, when in fact, the AVG didn't fly their first mission until Dec10, 1941, three days after Pearl Harbor. Chennault himself had flown against the Oscars and Zeros, but with several other ad hoc organizations that came and went and realized to dog fight with ANY of these JAF airplanes was suicide.
                  Interesting to note that the Australians and New Zealanders were flying the F2A Brewster Buffalo and the AVG guys were mad that they had the better plane!
                  The buffalo performed about as well as you would expect a plane with that kind of name to fly!
                  This just makes the AVG more incredible in my view!
                  It's a thrill to fly this plane, if for nothing else, to honor a bunch of heroes who stepped up. No heart beats stronger than the heart of a volunteer!

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

I'm just getting around to painting and putting my P-40 together.

As I was trying to balance the plane it appeared way tail heavy at 55mm. Some of the guys over at RCG said the actual CG for this plane is around 70mm. At 70mm I can get it to balance with a lot less nose weight.

Any thoughts from those here who are flying this plane?

Jim

Comment

Love that scheme! I still think of getting another just so I can do the old meatball style roundel and scheme.

looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
                        Love that scheme! I still think of getting another just so I can do the old meatball style roundel and scheme.

looks great!
                        Agree, love the classic lines and scheme. Been putting off getting one of these but may have to just do it...

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                          I'm just getting around to painting and putting my P-40 together.

As I was trying to balance the plane it appeared way tail heavy at 55mm. Some of the guys over at RCG said the actual CG for this plane is around 70mm. At 70mm I can get it to balance with a lot less nose weight.

Any thoughts from those here who are flying this plane?

Jim
                          Yep......the manual was off by 20mm. Should have read 70-75mm. Go with the 70mm ;)You shouldn't need any nose weight using the recommended battery
                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Nose weight? It don't need no stinkin' nose weight!!LOL
                            A nice chunky 4000s set slightly forward will do the trick. Just ran downstairs and yanked the tray out of my P-40. I left the battery in so this is exactly where it was on the last flight yesterday.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9781.JPG
Views:	2584
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	74843

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

That's how I like to control weight with added battery. 2 good things come from it. 1 longer flight time, 2 better current capacity

Comment

Puts a better definition on the term 'dead weight', give me more gas any time!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Exactly, and it'll be like running premium fuel over 87. You know that "cleaner burn" :)

Comment

I prefer not adding dead weight as much as you guys, but I was running into issues trying to balance at the 55mm mark recommended in the manual. 70mm is working a lot better. Now if I could get the weather to cooperate I am ready to maiden.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                                      I prefer not adding dead weight as much as you guys, but I was running into issues trying to balance at the 55mm mark recommended in the manual. 70mm is working a lot better. Now if I could get the weather to cooperate I am ready to maiden.

Jim
                                      :Confused: Jim..........these guys(including myself) aren't adding dead weight at all. A 4000mAh is a perfect weight for hitting the CG of 70mm and is at the top end of the recommended battery range.
                                      Must be you missed my response to you on post #13 ;)
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

Charlie's right Jim, I fly mine right where the picture shows it and my 3600's are slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY more forward than that. This plane flies great! I must admit though, and I'm probably being picky, I prefer flying it with the 4000's.

The other great thing is that 15 degrees of flap for take off works great if needed and with full flaps, I just cranked them way down as you can get away with that with split flaps.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X