Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, thanks for all the input. I think my biggest issue was trying to balance at the 55mm mark. Once I moved that to 70mm I was able to take all but 1/4 oz out. Keep in mind I painted this one, so that does add a little weight behind the CG. Also, I'm kind of a timid flyer, so I prefer my warbirds a bit noes heavy. For me, it makes them more predictable.

Got a package from Callie today, so now my P-40 has teeth!

Jim

Comment

Looks great WV. Small parts CNC has aluminum retract sides available for this P-40 as well in case ;you hadn't heard, they're great!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Finally got to maiden the P-40 yesterday. Actually, maiden plus three since I had four batteries with me.

I am very pleased with the way this thing flies. Maybe even better, dare I say it, than my P-51D!

I'm using the 3600 Admirals, flying 5 minutes of mixed throttle and coming down with 30 - 34% left in the battery. It lands so smooth you would think our grass runway was paved.

Thanks for all the help here guys.

Jim

Comment

Great to hear Jim, she IS a great flyer, not to mention what a great looking plane in the air as well.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Got in a few more flights on the P-40 today. It really is a great flying plane.

It will have to be my "new thang" for a while longer since I just figured out that I am in the 2nd group for the new A-10. No real fault of Motion, I just didn't pay enough attention when I was doing the pre order and didn't realize they were going to arrive in two groups. Oh well.

This will keep me busy until the new jet arrives.

Comment

It's a great plane WV, besides if you feel the 'need for speed'
              Pick up the Bearcat and put a 650 kv and a 1400 mm Corsair prop on it, I blew some minds on the weekend with that one!!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

How many here are flying their plane with the drop tank? Is there a noticeable difference in flight characteristics?

Mine seem a bit loose to fly without gluing it in place and I'm not sure I want to make it permanent.

Jim

Comment

I haven't flown mine without the drop tank because the power plant I have in this bird don't even know it's on.
                  Running the 1500 Razor 6S 4258-460kV power and it's freakin unbelievable.
                  I would suggest just a 'dab' of Foam-Tac on each of the tank stabilization sponsons where they go into the wing slots which would allow them to be easily removed if desired
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I answered Jim's question on RCG, but thought I'd post it here as well. I have always flown mine with the tank on, and on the stock power system. Still fast as a bullet. I flew mine this past Sunday, and the guys were saying "Man that thing's fast!" At first my tank was a little loose too. But I eventually went back and cranked down on the screws some more, and it tightened up nicely. The supports are not glued into the foam at all as they are now fully seated and don't move a bit.

This is a great flying plane, and is a testament to the much better quality of plane being produced by FMS now. So far I've had no issues with any of the electronics, including the retracts. I think it flies just fine on the stock power setup.
                    Pat

Comment

Thanks CRX. I went back and tightened the screw some more and that seems to have done the trick. I probably wouldn't have tried to go any tighter without your experience;-)

I do like this plane. I may like it even more than my FMS P-51. It flies like it's on rails and is one of the easiest landing planes I have.

Jim

Comment

Yeah, I did the same thing when first installing the tank, tightened down until it felt like the screw was fully seated. But finally figured out that it can be tightened further to secure the tank.
                        Pat

Comment

Interesting, I haven't flown mine with the tank on as the gyro interferes with the hole inside the fuse to screw it on. Nevertheless, I should through it in the spare parts box and take it to Nefi. Might get the urge to try it. I agree with everyone, this is a great flying bird and so cool looking in the air.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Hi Guys. I'm sooo happy I found this thread. Mine arrived yesterday and didn't take long to assemble but I was tearing my hair out trying to balance at 55mm and there was no way I was going to attempt to fly it with the biggest 4s battery I have with me which is only a 3000mah.
                            I had it shoved forward so far that 3/4 of it was hanging over the end of the tray and was still tail heavy.
                            I had visions of myself going to the local fishing tackle shop (I'm currently in Thailand) and buying some sinkers to jam up front somehow but it was the last thing I wanted to do.

I was able to get onto a local Thai guy who brings batteries in from Bangkok and order a 5000mah 4s which should balance nicely at 70mm even if I have to slide it back a little.
                            Apparently there are no 4000mah 4s batteries available anywhere in the country. (Can you believe that?)
                            I've checked every hobby shop which has an online outlet in Thailand and they all say the same thing. No 4000mah 4s batteries in stock and all have them on back order from China.
                            Anyway, I'm expecting the 5000mah to arrive this afternoon so I should be able to maiden over the weekend weather permitting.
                            Any suggestions for throws and expo's would be appreciated.
                            I have a Spektrum DX9

Comment

Crap, I lost mine at Nefi!!! Rebuild!!!!
                              Let me personally say that OV-10's 6s mod will blow your mind! CB took it straight up and after 1500 or so feet, we could barely see it. Great big fat 500 foot loops, no problem. Now, if this plane had come stock with this system, we all wouldn't be sitting here talking about them, we'd be out there flying and drooling.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Dang Dan did you crash your Warhawk. Man sorry to hear that.:Sleepy:
                                Dewey l

Comment

Hey Guys
                                  Here is mine, 1st time with an Airbrush.... Also Painted the wheels and rudder.
                                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Hey pilots im excited as all i hear is great things about her. I'm used to edf jets. Haven't flown a warbird in about a year.

I'm seeing how she lurches to the left on roll out. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by \o/woohoo View Post
                                      Hey pilots im excited as all i hear is great things about her. I'm used to edf jets. Haven't flown a warbird in about a year.

I'm seeing how she lurches to the left on roll out. Any advice?
                                      Not to sound like a smart ass but you need to learn to how to use your rudder. ;)
                                      Lurching to the left is the biggest problem all new warbird pilots must learn to overcome.
                                      Most just jam the throttle to get it off the tarmac so they don't have to deal with the P factor(torque left).
                                      In my post signature you can see the list of warbirds I fly and all will do the lurch if I LET them but not if I have anything to do about it.
                                      It's a matter of smooth crisp throttle advance while countering(steering) with the rudder to keep the plane running a straight course until lift off.:Cool:
                                      Practice, practice, practice
                                      Best regards,
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Haha thanks. Maiden in a few min.

Comment

Maiden flight. My friend wanted to try it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X