Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YAY!! Had mine up yesterday and pulled off my first sweet landing !!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

YAY.........:) Flew the snot out of mine yesterday. The club members that got to observe the unlimited vert with that Razor power plant transplant were just stunned:Cool:Of course you saw that first hand Dan @ NEFI ;)
      It has become my go to Go FAST warbird.:p40
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Dang, that plane was impressive!!
        Such a relief to have mine back together again. Pulling the wires through the wings went easier than I thought it would, just used some wire and fishing line. One wing light isn't working so I'll have to check that out and I'm going to order some new light lenses. Other than that she's good.
        Team Gross!

Comment

Well Monday I received my FMS 1400mm A6M3 Zero green and I just pulled the trigger and ordered the P-40! I just couldn't bear the thought of seeing it go out of stock! Too bad the FMS 'tan' Zero was discontinued, tho I don't know why they also called it a A6M3, it is clearly a A6M2! The tan is the more authentic color for the early Zeros, and it should have been the color used on the bottom of the green one, rather than dove grey. Looks like I'm gonna hafta do some paint work!

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
            Well Monday I received my FMS 1400mm A6M3 Zero green and I just pulled the trigger and ordered the P-40! I just couldn't bear the thought of seeing it go out of stock! Too bad the FMS 'tan' Zero was discontinued, tho I don't know why they also called it a A6M3, it is clearly a A6M2! The tan is the more authentic color for the early Zeros, and it should have been the color used on the bottom of the green one, rather than dove grey. Looks like I'm gonna hafta do some paint work!
            I can see that NEFI has clearly "booted" ya over the addiction threshold on the warbirds. ;)LOL
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Too bad the FMS 'tan' Zero was discontinued, tho I don't know why they also called it a A6M3, it is clearly a A6M2! The tan is the more authentic color for the early Zeros, and it should have been the color used on the bottom of the green one, rather than dove grey. Looks like I'm gonna hafta do some paint work!
              FMS's website doesn't show it as discontinued and Horizon has them in stock. Funny that both of them list it as grey but Motion had it as tan.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

FMS's website doesn't show it as discontinued and Horizon has them in stock. Funny that both of them list it as grey but Motion had it as tan.
                Dang, I'd of rather had the tan/grey A6M2 looking one! I've only ordered from MRC so I would like to know why they have it as discontinued. What's the scoop Alpha? :Confused:

Comment

So I check on Amazon and lo and behold they have the gray A6M thru Horizon, 10 left in stock! So I ordered and I'll get it 7/14 thru 7/21. I think I'll send the green back to MRC. I thought It was strange that none of the big parts were plastic bagged, have any of you guys received planes from MRC where the parts weren't bagged? It's not damaged that I can visually tell, tho I didn't check any of the electronics.

Comment

How did Charlie put that...........Oh yeah, targets!!

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Got the P-40 rebuilt, but one question, does anyone have a problem with the 'toe in,toe out' on the mains??
                      I I raise the tail high enough, the wheels will splay outwards and not turn, I've ordered new complete retracts as the tires are shot as well, but would like to know how I can correct this. Would the trunions be worn out? or is it the pin mechanism that forces the trunion backwards and forwards needing adjustment??
                      Meanwhile, the poor little thing is looking pretty rough, I gave her a bath in watered down acrylic and she looks dirty,' chipped' the paint and 'wore' the paint off the wings fillets, looks pretty cool, have some airbrushing to do yet and for some reason the old cockpit will not grab the magnet on the new fuse, so I have another on it's way. By the time I'm finished, it might have been better to buy a new kit!!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Dan....the trunnion's if worn would allow slop in a fore/aft direction. By raising the tail if you've got slop the trunnion moves slightly aft and it allows the rotation pin to twist your strut outward.
                        The rotation pin has no adjustment. The trunnion is the weak link in the system now since you upgraded with the SmallPartsCNC side plates.
                        PS.......hate to say it but I would have gone with new and saved the good stuff like that 650kV for upgrades to other birds. ;)
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

Hi fellow RC members,

I received this kit back in May, it was ordered through Horizon Hobby by a local hobby shop. I was really impressed by the quality of the product and shared several positive comments.

Mine had a couple of quality issues, I reported to FMS this information as well:

1 - The tailwheel became loose after a couple of flights. Had to dismantle the unit and fix that by adding torque and a bit of epoxy. No more issue but putting back the small springs on the tailwheel doors was a real challenge.
                          2 - After only a few missions one of the aileron servos died and the remaining one started to flutter. The first defective one seized, I couldn't move the arm anymore.
                          3 - On one of the servos plastic container, both screws were almost completely stripped! Looks like someone really turned the screwdriver at the assembly shop!
                          4 - I finally managed to remove the screws and found a single cable type of setup, meaning I would need to potentially remove the retracts to pull the aileron servos cables out and back. Decided to cut the wire and use my wonderful crimpring tool to create female JST-SH connectors.

Now awaiting new servos. Fortunately the plane wasn't damaged,

Comment

My tan Zero arrived Saturday and the P-40 Monday. Both look incredible! Wvrailfan what paint did you use on yours? I'm torn between sticking with the AVG scheme or USAAF, teeth or toothless. The B/C 40 has great lines!
                            For the A6M2 I want to have Home Depot scan the paint and match it. Does anyone know how long that takes?

Comment

I used Rust-Oleum Specialty Camouflage Forest Green, 11oz spray can from Ace Hardware, on my P-40. I like it for a new "unweathered" look. On my P-47 I used Testors Model Master OD Green spray. The Testors is lighter and looks a bit faded as compared to the Rust-Oleum. I like the Testors better to simulate a weathered look and since it is lighter it better shows any weathering stains and streaks you add for detail.

Comment

For the A6M2 I want to have Home Depot scan the paint and match it. Does anyone know how long that takes?
                                Less than 10 minutes
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

Great results wvrailfan! Did you strip the original or just paint over it? Are your markings Callie's? If so what scale?

Comment

Thanks. I removed any vinyl decals and hit those areas with some gray automotive spray can primer. I lightly sand the injection bumps then just spray over the factory paint. My decals came from Callie. I didn't specify scale just the size of the plane and the manufacturer. She has measurements for most of the popular models in her database.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                      Dan....the trunnion's if worn would allow slop in a fore/aft direction. By raising the tail if you've got slop the trunnion moves slightly aft and it allows the rotation pin to twist your strut outward.
                                      The rotation pin has no adjustment. The trunnion is the weak link in the system now since you upgraded with the SmallPartsCNC side plates.
                                      PS.......hate to say it but I would have gone with new and saved the good stuff like that 650kV for upgrades to other birds. ;)
                                      Thinking the same thing CB. Got the gear on the way, so that should help a bit. I was thinking of the 650 kv's for the Tigercat. Oh well, in for a penny.We'll se how she flies!!
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Well, the gear is in and working and what a difference!!. You don't realize how worn our something is until you get a new one. Now, the question is does Small Parts CNC or anyone else make a replacement metal trunion for this type of L/G?
                                        If so, let me know, I looked at the SPCNC web page but nothing there. Seems a wast to have to buy a complete set of servos because one part is worn.
                                        Anyway, here's Ol' Greasy in all her glory, so far....
                                        Note, the scumbling around the nose and the spinner itself after a wash of brown paint, it really dulls the gloss. BTW, haven't begun to airbrush yet!! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1133.JPG Views:	1 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	87455
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1134.JPG Views:	1 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	87456
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1135.JPG Views:	1 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	87457
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1137.JPG Views:	1 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	87458
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1140.JPG Views:	1 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	87459

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Got her up in the air today and she flew pretty good for a remaiden. Thought, for the fun of it, I'd try her with the tank on. Doesn't do anything for me, so it'll be in the mail this week. Off to Owego, New York to hang on the worlds coolest P-40!
                                          I'm going to have to yank the tail wheel assembly as its not staying in place. Tried to tighten up the side screws holding the wheel into the retract mechanism, but no luck. The good news she flew like her old self, a bit of trim and there she was. Landing was okay but with the tail wheel issue, it wasn't 100%. So a bit of work to be done yet. Maybe one of these days, I'll do the Charlie Brown mod and there'll be to yaw dropping P-40's in the air !!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X