Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kestrel, male, 70 years young, JUST joined. Avid but new tanker (prior Service not withstanding). I was tanker in the NJ National Guard, TC of a M48A5.

Comment

What would I like to see in the r/c industry? I have always imagined a.1/16 or larger scale tank as a night watchman. Imagine a perp broke in a warehouse.and confronted with a King Tiger, main gun, a 20 gage shotgun firing slugs, coax firing .22's. No contest.

Comment

Ive seen 22lr conversions for tanks but iI almost certain the proposal you make would be exceptionally illegal. I know shotgun traps and the like are.Not to mention the weight just wouldnt be there in the tank for it to operate and fire anything much bigger than .22 and still function in any sort of way under recoil.

Comment

As I said Vaseline, it's all a fantasy, but who knows...some day..

Comment

Originally posted by Kestrel View Post
            Kestrel, male, 70 years young, JUST joined. Avid but new tanker (prior Service not withstanding). I was tanker in the NJ National Guard, TC of a M48A5.
            K, Welcome to "Hobby Squawk" and I thank you for your service, Sir. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Heng Long does make a serious tank that goes for about $16,000. No picking that thing up! 1:6 scale I think it was.

as far as these 1:16 series, they are amazing and are at fantastic prices for what you get! Half the cost of Tamiya and just as good IMO.

I can't think of a single thing they could add to one of their tanks...it already has sound/ smoke/ recoil/ and shoots BB's! What's left? Lol

Comment

What do you consider a "serious tank". This sounds very interesting...

Comment

I tried to look on ebay for it...was all sold out. Back when I saw listings..it was all metal, a massive 1/8 scale, weighed about 350 lbs, and runs on 24 volts. Shoots 8mm BB's and cost $11,000! That serious enough? Lol

IF you google it you can find more info: Just google 1:8 Heng Long tank. Here's the basic...it's really the ultimate RC tank.

I've just cut and paste this from the Tankzone description. It mentions state of the art sounds and smoke...

"...Unlike other manufacturers that produces all metal tanks in kit form or available in limited quality with a long lead time and many optional extras. Our 1:8 scale high quality all metal Tiger tank is delivered off the shelf, complete, fully assembled and ready to run out of the sturdy wooden storage box. Powered by powerful 24 volts twin 800 watts motors and heavy duty steel gearboxes, it has full movement just like the real tank and can climb inclines up to 45 degrees. The turret can rotate 360 degrees and the main gun can recoil as well as move up and down with built-in airsoft feature that fires 8mm BB pellets guided by a laser sight. All this is showcased by a full range of high definition sounds and smoke effect...."

You can read all the specs here on this RC tank forum. It's amazing.

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...ic.php?t=21915

Comment

I would really like to see the KV-2 at a more affordable price....
                    Then we could all have backyard derp battles lol

Comment

How much will the upgrade and pro editions of the T-34/85 cost?

Comment

Hey Alpha how long will these tanks be in stock at Motion?

Comment

KV2_driver_13 They're arriving this month, we're quite excited for them!

TANKSARECOOL The web team will be publishing the product pages soon with that information.
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

When are the Huinas coming in?!?! I want that excavator and improved dump truck!

Comment

I'd like to see more activity in 1/10 scale. But not just the usual Tiger- Panther- Pz III types. Halftracks, British and American tanks, Japanese and Italian tanks/ SPGs and softskins and of the WWII and earlier vintage.

No flames, no hate mail from anyone please. I've heard it all before. 1/10 scale has been said to not be as popular because of the lack of figures but other than 1/6 scale dolls I never really see that many other scales consistently displayed with figurines. And cost was a factor. Well low high quality production is always more costly. 1/10 scale fills a gap between 1/6 that is much too large for many people and 1/16 which again some people find too small. I personally am very active in both 1/10 and 1/16 scale and like them both. My first model in the 70s was a Tamiya Sherman followed by a 1/10 scale Maier Panther which was in turn followed by an Imai Elefant... I still have them all and have added 'a few' over the years.

You may see what I do on my website: http://tanks.linite.com/

Jerry

Comment

Tanque Welcome and salute, Jerry! You won't get hate mail here, we're not the type. Also, I'm sorry to hear about Oli, I know the feeling.

I've poured over your website several times over the years, eagerly following your updates with so many interesting rebuilds. It continues to amaze me how many needles you have managed to find in a world of RC haystacks. The Panzer II.J boggles my mind. Your 1/10 King Tigers have my full attention, too.

Regarding 1/10 scale, I completely agree. 1/10 presents likely the peak of balance between size and cost, both of which are important considerations for the average modeler. I'd love to own a 1/6 Centurion someday but frankly I know I wouldn't field it nearly as often as a 1/10 if only because the 1/10 I can pick up with my hands instead of a forklift or loading ramp. 1/10 feels heavy and beefy, is a good size for all terrains, have good surface area for detail in both clarity and depth, and are such a weight that drivetrains aren't overly stressed without needing to resort to special materials.

As for subject matter, we're in the exploratory phases of finding what fits the Venn diagram most reliably. From a Renault FT and L3/Lf to an Elefant, Centurion, Patton, Merkava, Churchill, and Paladin, there are as you know literal tons of armored vehicles that could be modeled.

Over time, we're open to exploring larger scales like 1/10, if/when the market calls for it.

Feel free to start a 1/10 Scale exploratory thread to begin to suss out the community's wishlist and parameters for this scale. I'd invite the conversation, since I imagine it involves a different customer than new tankers looking for 1/16 scale at sub-$500.

Comment

Alpha, thanks for your reply. I separate thread would be superb but as the scale has only a fraction of the following as 1/16 or 1/6 and at the highest level simply due to availability I suspect the thread would be under utilized for a time. But I'm willing to begin one.

On a different subject I noted that you are using a Venn to capture the overlaps in aspects of the hobby. How are you defining the various sets defined in the diagram?

Jerry

Comment

Tanque "If you start it, they will come". I think a separate 1/10 thread makes sense. Surely you and I aren't the only 1/10 nuts out there.

Regarding Venn sets, the cheeky answer is "Yes", the short answer is "All definitions", the long answer is... well, long.

In a nutshell, we've built our business on a feedback loop that begins with strategic assessments based on firsthand knowledge, tempered with initial user feedback (typically first generation enthusiasts already expert in the sub-category), integrated with production constraints (design, development, subject matter, projected initial market size and target market size, regional considerations, mold and other tooling costs, ROI schedule, shipping, transport, durability, supply chain transparency/frequency/reliability, warranty support, etc), juxtaposed with other portfolio trends and financial considerations, promoted with marketing/support/spare parts, then reconstituted with customer feedback from second shipments, third, fourth, and onward. This loop derives its flexibility and momentum from both hands-on input here in Asia and other production areas, and from the direct input of users, customers, and other contributors. Hobby Squawk is full of members whose input has influenced the products on MotionRC.com, whether directly or in concert with a wider voice.

Along the way, the more competing sets there are in the proverbial Venn diagram, the more opportunities for a specific product of a specific configuration and specific color/cost/format to fail. We try to preempt those pitfalls by being proactive with our data. If a product doesn't make it to our shelves, there's always a defensible reason. In the past, we typically park the project and wait until conditions improve. Our Freewing 80mm A-4 Skyhawk is a good example of this. We initially designed it for 70mm, because at the time that size was more popular. However, the model didn't fly as had wanted due to wingloading concerns, so we parked the project for almost two years and waited to upscale it to 80mm, and also waited until the market for 80mm jets had matured further. By the time we released the model, it was larger, flew better, and used a power system that by then many of the community were familiar with. All this allowed it to be a more successful release than if we had delivered it in its original configuration. At all times we're open to and in fact welcome course corrections that increase the likelihood of a product's long term success. You'll find we're patient people.

To summarize, we trust our process; As long as users like you engage us with input and ideas, we're confident we can take it the rest of the way.

Comment

I think 1:10 is cool! Didn't know it was a scale for tanks!

Comment

I like your approach. Feedback from various points across your business and consumer base should serve you well. As consumers of any business's product we need to temper desire versus feasibility or be able to make a thing ourselves.

One sales technique I don't see used nearly as often as I would hope is component sales. I recall one British firm (their name escapes me) used it to sell first railway steam locomotives and later their 1/8 scale Tiger. An American firm (possibly related to the former) by the name of Little Engines (the late Moody Braun's firm) ised component group sales to very good effect. The idea is to "componentize" a product, usually a very costly product, allowing consumers to purchase component sets at their own pace thereby spreading the cost over a more comfortable timeframe and owing to individual abilities as the subsequent sets are needed to advance a project. Armortek does this to a degree. The full component approach often makes an expensive item available to a wider consumer base. Additionally being able to purchase only those key components needed will spur more diverse building. Many model subjects would seem to lend themselves to this and in actual execution many companies actually do this already. At the end of the day hobby product no matter how inexpensive of costly are at the whim of disposable income - the trick is how to get consumers to dispose it on your product line!

Jerry

Comment

• Henglong and Matorro have done this to a degree with the seperate metal upgrades such as cast metal tracks, drive gear etc.

Comment

Working...
                                          X