X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
    Henglong and Matorro have done this to a degree with the seperate metal upgrades such as cast metal tracks, drive gear etc.
    Well not really the same thing as I was attempting to describe but ok..

Jerry

Comment

• just gimme something similar to the usual henglong with hop ups but at a bigger size and reasonable price. I'll upgrade from there. Or, give me a few years and I might just build from scratch. 1/16th scale is just too small to get the gravitas of a tank.

Comment

• Hi Alpha,
        Will Motion be carrying hop-up parts for the Heng Long tanks? And color options? While waiting for the tanks to come in stock I have been doing a lot of research. Wow! There is a lot of options out there for these tanks.

I am planning to purchase the Challenger 2 in the professional version from Motion. I have seen online that there are two other color schemes from Heng Long. NATO Green and Winter Camo. There seem to be similar options for the Leopard and Abrams as well. I like the desert scheme on the Challenger so I am good with what you are bringing in.

Also, there is a high torque Red motor and a high-speed Blue motor option. And an Ultimate II Gearbox with ball bearings bushings.

I really like hopping up stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by karltrek View Post
          Hi Alpha,
          Will Motion be carrying hop-up parts for the Heng Long tanks? And color options? While waiting for the tanks to come in stock I have been doing a lot of research. Wow! There is a lot of options out there for these tanks.

I am planning to purchase the Challenger 2 in the professional version from Motion. I have seen online that there are two other color schemes from Heng Long. NATO Green and Winter Camo. There seem to be similar options for the Leopard and Abrams as well. I like the desert scheme on the Challenger so I am good with what you are bringing in.

Also, there is a high torque Red motor and a high-speed Blue motor option. And an Ultimate II Gearbox with ball bearings bushings.

I really like hopping up stuff!
          The Challenger 2 is an excellent choice. It is overall the largest of the 1/16 Heng Long tanks and the best of the modern era r/c tanks for its off road/cross country performance. I have the older version (no idler adjustability) which has been abused for years now and it still comes back for more. It is one of my favorite modern r/c tanks.

Don”t waist your money on the blue 380 motors they are really no better then the stock 380 motors. I suggest going straight to the red 390 motors. These have more torque which really is needed for turning such a long tank in rough terrain, climbing obstacles and just flat out high speed (scale 40mph) fun.

The new steel gearboxes coming with the 6.0 tanks are really pretty good and proving quite a bit more durable then the older stock steel gearboxes. The Unlimited gearboxes are good and were an upgrade in durability over the old stock gearboxes. The Ultimates do not improve tank performance, they are just slightly more durability. I would suggest waiting until the new stock 6.0 gearboxes either break from abuse(I broke a shaft but would have on the Ultimate too) or wear out.

What will make the most difference aside from the red 390 motors is adding the drive shaft bearing supports and upgrading to rubber padded metal tracks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The Challenger 2 is an excellent choice. It is overall the largest of the 1/16 Heng Long tanks and the best of the modern era r/c tanks for its off road/cross country performance. I have the older version (no idler adjustability) which has been abused for years now and it still comes back for more. It is one of my favorite modern r/c tanks.

Don”t waist your money on the blue 380 motors they are really no better then the stock 380 motors. I suggest going straight to the red 390 motors. These have more torque which really is needed for turning such a long tank in rough terrain, climbing obstacles and just flat out high speed (scale 40mph) fun.

The new steel gearboxes coming with the 6.0 tanks are really pretty good and proving quite a bit more durable then the older stock steel gearboxes. The Unlimited gearboxes are good and were an upgrade in durability over the old stock gearboxes. The Ultimates do not improve tank performance, they are just slightly more durability. I would suggest waiting until the new stock 6.0 gearboxes either break from abuse(I broke a shaft but would have on the Ultimate too) or wear out.

What will make the most difference aside from the red 390 motors is adding the drive shaft bearing supports and upgrading to rubber padded metal tracks.
            Thanks Rubicon99!
            I will that your advice! My plan is to get the Red motors and a much larger battery.

I have seen the metal tracks with the rubber pads on eBay. I was wondering if they were worth the price. Where do you find the drive shaft bearing supports?

Comment

Thanks Rubicon99!
              I will that your advice! My plan is to get the Red motors and a much larger battery.

I have seen the metal tracks with the rubber pads on eBay. I was wondering if they were worth the price. Where do you find the drive shaft bearing supports?
              I have not seen how the new 6.0 Challenger 2 rear hull is set up. Many of the new 6.0 tanks like the T72/90 and Abrams are coming with the mounts minus the bearings. Even still you can find the mounts and bearings at Aliexpress.com its kinda like a Chinese Amazon and yes it is safe to buy from. Henglong has a store on there under a separate name where they sell every part for their tanks even down to the smallest screw. If memory serves it called “Tankzone” or something to that effect.

Or or you can just use the “search” on Aliexpress for Heng Long Challenger 2 parts and scroll through the pages. The bearings/mounts are not hard to find. Expect at least 10 businesses days for shipping to the U.S.

The rubber padded tracks are worth every penny especially with the new track tensioning idlers. There are a few different ones, just make sure to get the ones for the Abrams. I have not had good luck with the ones for the Leopard 2 holding link-ends on. You will need to add a small rubber spacers to the sprockets as the Challenger 2 sprockets are just a little narrower then the Abrams or Leopard 2 sprockets. Don’t worry the spacers work well and I have had no ill effects using them.

You can also use the Abrams sprockets on the Challenger 2 as they have the same “backspacing”. They actually look much tougher then the Challenger sprocket. I have been running them on my Challenger for about four months now simply because I like the look. I can post a photo if you like.

Hope this all helps.

Comment

I have not seen how the new 6.0 Challenger 2 rear hull is set up. Many of the new 6.0 tanks like the T72/90 and Abrams are coming with the mounts minus the bearings. Even still you can find the mounts and bearings at Aliexpress.com its kinda like a Chinese Amazon and yes it is safe to buy from. Henglong has a store on there under a separate name where they sell every part for their tanks even down to the smallest screw. If memory serves it called “Tankzone” or something to that effect.

Or or you can just use the “search” on Aliexpress for Heng Long Challenger 2 parts and scroll through the pages. The bearings/mounts are not hard to find. Expect at least 10 businesses days for shipping to the U.S.

The rubber padded tracks are worth every penny especially with the new track tensioning idlers. There are a few different ones, just make sure to get the ones for the Abrams. I have not had good luck with the ones for the Leopard 2 holding link-ends on. You will need to add a small rubber spacers to the sprockets as the Challenger 2 sprockets are just a little narrower then the Abrams or Leopard 2 sprockets. Don’t worry the spacers work well and I have had no ill effects using them.

You can also use the Abrams sprockets on the Challenger 2 as they have the same “backspacing”. They actually look much tougher then the Challenger sprocket. I have been running them on my Challenger for about four months now simply because I like the look. I can post a photo if you like.

Hope this all helps.
                I would love to see some photos. Thanks again for the information.

Comment

I would love to see some photos. Thanks again for the information.
                  Here are a few that show my Challenger 2 with Abrams metal/rubber padded tracks and Abrams sprockets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3671CAEC-3F6E-45AF-8642-B00D058AB1BD.jpeg
Views:	605
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	236391Click image for larger version

Name:	DBF162C5-E860-4A37-BBE0-571FBF944570.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	236390

Comment

Here are a few that show my Challenger 2 with Abrams metal/rubber padded tracks and Abrams sprockets.
                    R9, Great detail and upgrade, I really like the looks of your Challenger 2, Sir. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I would love to see a German Marder or an US Bradley as a new modell...

Comment

• Why do you suppose that there are no 1:16 scale British Mk.IV models?

It seems that Tamiya had them in 1:35th but are sold out. Is there just no demand?

I would buy one.☹

Comment

• Originally posted by Pynaegan View Post
                          Why do you suppose that there are no 1:16 scale British Mk.IV models?

It seems that Tamiya had them in 1:35th but are sold out. Is there just no demand?

I would buy one.☹
                          No demand for them. There are others tanks with higher demand like the M60 Patton or Chieftain and even those are not mass produced. The market is just not big enough yet but is slowly growing so here is to hoping we seen some new tanks soon.

Comment

• would like to see a M-18 hellcat.

Comment

No demand for them. There are others tanks with higher demand like the M60 Patton or Chieftain and even those are not mass produced. The market is just not big enough yet but is slowly growing so here is to hoping we seen some new tanks soon.
                              I disagree on the MkIV & believe it would be a hit with the collector market worldwide, especially in the UK. Given its design combined with use of CNC cut panels & 3D printing, it wouldn't be difficult to develop or require extensive tooling. Granted, it certainly would not be a huge mover but everything is relative given target market & ROI. I know suppliers here that are content to develop all metal offerings based on 20 sales per model - all depends on where you want to devote your energy & talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by herrmill View Post

I disagree on the MkIV & believe it would be a hit with the collector market worldwide, especially in the UK. Given its design combined with use of CNC cut panels & 3D printing, it wouldn't be difficult to develop or require extensive tooling. Granted, it certainly would not be a huge mover but everything is relative given target market & ROI. I know suppliers here that are content to develop all metal offerings based on 20 sales per model - all depends on where you want to devote your energy & talent.
                                The idea is to grow the wider tank hobby market not cater to the very very small collectors market of extremely high priced shelf queens. Heng Long made that mistake with their 1/10 scale all metal Tiger and Abrams. How many did the sell at $10,000 dollars? Not enough to recover the costs! Hooben made the same mistake with their 1/10 M4E8.

Fact is the r/c tank hobby sector Heng Long markets toward is younger then those of Tamiya and far younger still then any all metal 1/16 and up collectors tank market. A company the size of Heng Long does not stay around long making small runs of expensive collectors tanks.

Don’t get me wrong I love a rare hand made tank built with true craftsmanship, but I would rather have a dozen affordable and more well known and widely used tanks to drive and battle with.

Comment

• Not talking expensive shelf queens here but understand your thinking. Clark's pending MkIV would probably run in the same range as HL's 6.0 series based on a run of 100 which is quite doable.

If you're talking all metal, you would probably choke on what I'm paying for a limited run 1/16 KT. If I wanted to go larger, I'd certainly focus on Armortek, FMB or Warslug before considering HL's CNC produced custom run Tiger & have plenty of coins leftover to buy another before I drop ten grand on a toy tank.

Comment

• The HL all metal tanks were 1:8 and 1:6 scale. They were a limited run. I don't think they made any 1:10 in that series....I could be wrong, but I know the 2 scales were the former.

Were they successful? I'm going to tend to believe they were as I don't see any left for sale. Calling it a "mistake" is debatable, and maybe only people at HL know for sure.

Personally, if I'm spending $11,000 on something motorized, I better be able to sit in it! LOL.

HL is making a wide selection of 1:16 that have every feature someone would want for less than half the price of the same scale Tamiya. I think they will continue to be successful.

Comment

Are the metal road wheels needed with the rubber padded metal tracks on the Abrams? Also, if one got the professional version would the Mato tracks fit or would you also need the Mato sprockets? I am looking on Aliexpress as you recommended and just a bit confused.

Comment

• Standby on that overseas purchase, Steve... ;)

See my thread about the Mato tracks and my HL Abrams, too. I prefer Mato's double-sided pad type, and I did prefer their sprocket over HL's. Their idler wheels are almost identical. But I'd say the sprocket is a must.
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                          Standby on that overseas purchase, Steve... ;)

See my thread about the Mato tracks and my HL Abrams, too. I prefer Mato's double-sided pad type, and I did prefer their sprocket over HL's. Their idler wheels are almost identical. But I'd say the sprocket is a must.
                                          On the sprockets I have to respectfully disagree.

The Mato look 100% nicer and are the most correct from a modeling point of view, even more correct then the ones used on the excellent $1000+ Tamiya Abrams. Problem is they do not hold tracks on as well as the metal HL sprockets because they lack track retaining rings. Rubber padded tracks have a much higher coefficient of friction and when driven on many surfaces using the Mato sprockets the tracks tend to come off in turns where as with HL sprockets they do not. The issues associated with rubber padded tracks makes the track retaining ring a necessity. Event the $1000+ Tamiya Abrams with its excellent engineering and adjustable track tensioning idler uses a track retaining rings on their sprockets.

No one I know uses them on actively driven tanks for long because of the higher de-tracking issue they seem to have.

Comment

Working...
                                          X