X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
    Delta, yours came with the Helical gears as well? The FPV camera, are you going to tuck inside the flir? Was that pic just to show the size? I'm really liking that idea, maybe not to get so far as to make it traverse, but just as a fixed point camera, and that it looks pretty realistic. I had never even thought about replacing the servo arms till it came up as a topic in here... so I ordered some align ones just to see. The stock ones that came with the OMG servos are just so big and hefty feeling, that I can fathom in scale flight the way come close to breaking etc. With that being said, I have reconfigured my tail servo setup... as it was bottoming out when getting the mechanics fitted, and it was almost impossible to get it pulled back out. So I flipped it upside down, and using a flex rod to the elbow. That's were I actually put one of the align servo arms. Crazy you had to shim the servo's...
    Mine did not include the helical gears, but I purchased my kit over a year ago, so things may have changed. Just finally getting around to building it now. The FPV camera will be fully hidden inside the FLIR unit. I just had it there to show size.

Comment

• The helical gears seem to be hit and miss... yea my kit is going on two years old... I've been on the notify list for the gears from scaleflying.de lol. They say they help with the drive train noise... but I feel like most of the noise comes from the gears to the vertical tail drive shaft... What actual model of the camera is that? It looks like the caddx? And how would you view what it sees?

Comment

The helical gears seem to be hit and miss... yea my kit is going on two years old... I've been on the notify list for the gears from scaleflying.de lol. They say they help with the drive train noise... but I feel like most of the noise comes from the gears to the vertical tail drive shaft... What actual model of the camera is that? It looks like the caddx? And how would you view what it sees?
        Yeah, I sat on that list for quite a while as well. Luckily managed to get an order in after they restocked a few months ago. The camera is a Caddx beatle: https://www.getfpv.com/caddx-beetle-...-5-8g-vtx.html. I’m planning on using some headplay SE goggles to view the video feed. Haven’t had a chance to test that out yet.

Comment

• I ordered the RunCam Split 3 Nano 14x14mm HD from them yesterday. It just records to an SD card, I think. Should be a perfect fit in the recessed panel behind the left shoulder of the pilot & view through the canopy. AH-1W sure gives lots of discreet mounting options. Now to figure out what to use in the 2.75 launcher tubes....

Comment

The helical gears seem to be hit and miss... yea my kit is going on two years old... I've been on the notify list for the gears from scaleflying.de lol. They say they help with the drive train noise... but I feel like most of the noise comes from the gears to the vertical tail drive shaft... What actual model of the camera is that? It looks like the caddx? And how would you view what it sees?
            Well, my Roban AH-6 has the straight cut gears and my new Magnum PI version came with the helical cut gears, don't know why it is, but the AH-6 is quieter, go figure, I don't think it's worth spending the money on the upgrade, maybe like you said, the gear noise is coming from somewhere else.

Comment

• sfcfury, did you have any clearance issues between the cockpit & front of the motor/frame? Just eyeballing it looks like the back of the cockpit would touch the motor? I don’t have my mechanics installed yet but trial fitting the cockpit in the canopy.

Comment

• No, it's right in front... (and thats with that fatter 4525 tengu motor- your scorpion is 4035). I don't have the mechanics in right now to take a picture, but here are some and maybe you can compare to yours. Fun side note, you can see some of all the places I have had to dremel to try to get the mechanics to slip in there.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2943.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	247523Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	247524Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	247525Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	247526

Comment

• Thanks, sir! Pics always help. Kinda hoping to fit the cam in that top recess & the cam’s PCB in the lower (larger) recess, if the frame doesn’t need that space.

Comment

• Got the cam installed where I wanted it....be nice to know how to hook it up! Since I won’t be using FPV or remote video of any kind I believe it just needs a power connection to the tiny 1.25mm connector. Thinking I will splice it into a standard Futaba extension & power it off a spare receiver channel. Suggestions appreciated! Note: the cable wrap to the left in the photo has nothing to do with the cam. Just me experimenting with cockpit detail.

Comment

• PPaw... that's some good looking work in my book... I guess my only concern would be without proofing what it sees with the canopy on? I have used gopro Hero and the runcam2 in limited amounts... and you feed it through the phone. How you could capture or see what those small fpv cameras can see is my question as well... b/c I like the idea of putting one in the FLIR or cockpit... but I know I'm not going to fly with googles or anything...

Comment

• It records to a 64GB micro sd card for viewing later. Soon as I get a card installed & powered up gonna see what kind of view I get. May end up moving it to one of the weapon stub wings. Problem is, as in the pic, the cable between cam & PCB is very short. FLIR location would be perfect but I want some view of the heli in flight also.

Comment

• Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                          It records to a 64GB micro sd card for viewing later. Soon as I get a card installed & powered up gonna see what kind of view I get. May end up moving it to one of the weapon stub wings. Problem is, as in the pic, the cable between cam & PCB is very short. FLIR location would be perfect but I want some view of the heli in flight also.
                          I know exactly what you mean! I had my gopro hero 5 on my 500 Size cobra... mounted it the outside of the canopy right behind the pilot... you could see a lil bit of the cockpit the whole time

Comment

• Outstanding flying, sfcfury! Man, I got a long way to go.

Comment

• Well thank you... but that's about as exciting as I get with it lol! Even then I had some issues on stability to work out... That was my first build... I pretty much went simulator, to a blade 450/DX6 radio combo (I couldn't pass that deal up! It was $400!)... to that heli. Built one other 450 and bought a blade 500 3D... then just went... 'what the hell' lets get a 700 cobra! lol

Comment

• Nice flying, and the camera installation is looking good PawPaw! I got my receiver controlled switch hooked up the the gun this evening and it works exactly as I was hoping. Now the gun only rotates when I hold down on the button instead of spinning for 4 sec.

I'm also considering adding a drop-out panel underneath the pilot seat so that I can drop out the scale pilot figure and pop in a Pan/Tilt FPV Camera on demand. I've been doing fixed wing flying with an HD system with head tracking (DJI Occusync Air) in my Foamie Piper Cub and it has been loads of fun! That was one of my motivations to go with the Spirit Geolink. It gives me a position hold/return-to-home option if the FPV signal goes out, rather than needing the hand off control to my spotter. Will be doing a lot of signal strength testing before the Pilot ever goes under the hood!

Comment

• I can’t wait for the vids of all that, but every time I see one makes me want to change something that requires more money. I’m installing the cockpit into the canopy on mine with screws instead of glue just because I figure something will need to be fixed later.

Comment

• On my 500 I was thinking magnets to hold my cockpit in, but the 800 size cabin is so huge I think I can get away with glue and only do the back piece with magnets and be able to get an arm in there to fix a problem, it's a thought for you if you don't want to use screws on your Cobra.

Comment

• Good idea, DCORSAIR....Thanks!

sfcfury, just got my CC link for the Talon 120 & need some help! Easy enough to set the basic stuff but am confused on the governor settings:

1. What is the AH-1W gear ratio?
                                      2. Do you have your Talon set for soft or medium start?
                                      3. How did you configure the 3 governor speeds? 3 position Tx switch for idle up? I just need the motor speed curve without 3D pitch but do want to keep auto rotate.

Forgive my stupidity but can’t seem to figure this part out. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                                        Good idea, DCORSAIR....Thanks!

sfcfury, just got my CC link for the Talon 120 & need some help! Easy enough to set the basic stuff but am confused on the governor settings:

1. What is the AH-1W gear ratio?
                                        2. Do you have your Talon set for soft or medium start?
                                        3. How did you configure the 3 governor speeds? 3 position Tx switch for idle up? I just need the motor speed curve without 3D pitch but do want to keep auto rotate.

Forgive my stupidity but can’t seem to figure this part out. Thanks!
                                        1. 13.8 is the gear ratio
                                        2. I have motor start power set to low and initial spool up rate set to 1
                                        3. Yes I have it set to the 3 position flight mode switch... I'm using a spektrum DX9 and the flight mode switch is B (top left). My throttle hold is switch H (top right). That's the default setting for spektrum.

If you set it to governor mode, and set rpm, then you enter your battery info, and motor info.
                                        Here's my Castle Link printout.
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	247932

CC TALON 120 SETTINGS.pdf

Comment

• sfcfury, I’m sending you my first born child......Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X