Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would wait and see... again my whole kit is a lot older than yours... and even after I double checked the tail rotor vertical alignment (and actually shifted it a smidge to the right to make it completely vertical and aligned) it didn't correct the problem... it kinda made it a little bit worse... Your's might align perfectly dead center... I think it's just one of those things when it comes to these types of kits...

Comment

Maybe so. Mine looks the same from your pics but a long way from trying to install it. Can’t tell if the vertical tube’s plywood bulkhead in the tail is drilled the same ‘tho.

Comment

Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
        I think I originally had my about how tight as DC is describing on his AH6... so much I probably could barely put any twist on the belt; but I don't know the tail mechanics setup on the AH6 800 size... but that amount tension lead to the problem. This go around I have it so that when I squeeze the belt from the middle (middle being from motor pulley to big gear) I can get about a 1/2 in of push... and about a quarter twist in the belt. I had it a little bit looser than that at first, and that actually gave a lil slop in the tail mechanics as well.
        I thought the belt on my AH-6 was to tight when I got it, just haven't taken it apart to adjust it yet, so on my Magnum PI version I have the belt adjusted with a little less tension on it, so hopefully I have it about right, it's a little tight, I'm thinking is will loosen up a little more after a few flights anyway and should be just right.

Comment

DC, I would imagine the belt would give a little bit after some use... and if it has caused any problems you should be gtg. I knew by the 3rd hover flight that something was messing up. Just something to just watch for. I think if you can pinch the belt in some and give a little bit of twist, that should be right about were you want it.

Comment

Here is how to do it

Belt tightening around the 6:00 minute mark.
            The Cobra is my favorite of the 800 series.

Oops..right its the only 700 I have. The others are the Airwolf, MPI 500 and Huey

Cheers
            Dean W.

Comment

Originally posted by Helijet View Post
              Here is how to do it

Cheers
              Dean W.
              Thanks! I have posted that video a couple times in the thread as well... I found it after the fact of course tho!

Comment

Here is how to do it

Cheers
                Dean W.
                Well thank you for the video link, mine is coming back apart for sure, by that info, I have my belt a little to tight on my Magnum PI and for sure on my AH-6, I noticed he put his pulley with the set crews at the top near the motor, I tried that but with the short shaft on my motor I was not able to track the belt properly because I couldn't go up anymore, mine works great with the set screws at the bottom, kind of wish I would have bought the Hacker like he has so I could use that extra bearing support, oh well, I'm not buying another motor right now, in this thing too much already..............

Helijet, I do believe the Cobra is a 700 size??

Comment

Thanks! I have posted that video a couple times in the thread as well... I found it after the fact of course tho!
                  Same here, after the fact....

Thanks for your help sfcfury, really appreciate it.
                  So I went back and adjusted my belt again, made sure I could twist it a little and squeeze it together like the video, it does seem to turn smoother, so now I will for sure adjust my AH-6, its way to tight.

Comment

According to the video mine is set ok. My Scorpion is a 38mm shaft but I was able to get the lower shaft bearing support plate installed & a couple mm’s of shaft is still protruding. Not as long as in the video but enough to get the full benefit of the bearing.

Comment

Oops right...sorry..700 size.
                      I also have the Airwolf, Huey and 500 which are 800.

Dean

Comment

Oops right...sorry..700 size.
                        I also have the Airwolf, Huey and 500 which are 800.

Dean
                        I had to go back and look to make sure it was 700 size, not that it matters, I don't know how big your 800 Huey is, but these Hughes 500 are very big, that is one reason I bought another one, but that Cobra is on my list.

Comment

I think the mechanics for the 700/800's are all about the same... seems like the only changes are whatever they do to adjust for the type of tail drive train setup... but the top half seem to all be identical.

Comment

Following all of the discussion on the mechanics closely. Hoping to get mine to fly on the test rig soon. I am continuing work on the gun turret at the moment, and finished up adding the servo for gun elevation. Used a 5 gram servo that barely fit inside the housing and some old 450 ball links to get it working. The movement range actually mirrors the real thing pretty closely. I also cut open the bottom of the turret, as the real is open as well for maintenance and ejecting casings. I’m still debating whether to add the cover plate on the turret or not around the barrel. In the States, it is kept on, but it is usually removed in combat environments for accessibility to the gun.

One other thing I’m still trying to figure out is a mechanism to trigger the gun barrel rotation. As of now with the retract motor board, the barrel spins for 4 seconds when triggered. Does anyone know of a receiver activated switch that I could use to trigger it? Would be nice to be able to fire it for different intervals other than 4 secs.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                              Following all of the discussion on the mechanics closely. Hoping to get mine to fly on the test rig soon. I am continuing work on the gun turret at the moment, and finished up adding the servo for gun elevation. Used a 5 gram servo that barely fit inside the housing and some old 450 ball links to get it working. The movement range actually mirrors the real thing pretty closely. I also cut open the bottom of the turret, as the real is open as well for maintenance and ejecting casings. I’m still debating whether to add the cover plate on the turret or not around the barrel. In the States, it is kept on, but it is usually removed in combat environments for accessibility to the gun.

One other thing I’m still trying to figure out is a mechanism to trigger the gun barrel rotation. As of now with the retract motor board, the barrel spins for 4 seconds when triggered. Does anyone know of a receiver activated switch that I could use to trigger it? Would be nice to be able to fire it for different intervals other than 4 secs.
                              Can you do away with the motor board? And just go direct to the receiver? Then is just be an on/off switch on the transmitter for that channel? Or is the motorboard needed to make it spin period?

Comment

Can you do away with the motor board? And just go direct to the receiver? Then is just be an on/off switch on the transmitter for that channel? Or is the motorboard needed to make it spin period?
                                Without the motor board, the gun would just spin endlessly. The receiver always sends power down the servo wires. It would need some kind of switch activated by the signal wire to turn power on/off. The only one out there that I know of is this, and its been out of stock for over 6 months now: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-switch-1.html

Comment

Just found this and put in an order. Hopefully it will do the job: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...TP8E47U9&psc=1

Comment

Tracking now! That guy you listed seems like it would do the trick... in fact that seems like it would be useful to have for some other applications...

Comment

With my sound card, I have a sound 2 option... I haven't finished playing with it yet, but my intent was to have an APU sound on that channel... and I wanted to tie my lights in with that. I know not all heli's have APU's, but it seems most twin engines ones do. I door gunned on blackhawks, and we had APU on those.... and the Apaches had APU's as well. Anyhoo, the end state in my mind was to flip an aux switch (that's linked to sound 2) and have APU and lights come on, then other aux would be linked to sound 1 (which would be turbine spool up to idle).

Comment

Ohhhh, F106...you’re sorely tempting me to dumb thumb one of my foam jets just to gut the innards. That gun needs a parts kit (hint) for sale to us folks short on imagination.
                                        sfcfury...could you vid that sound when it’s up & ginning? I’ve heard some on ‘tube but would like to hear how your installation sounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                                          Ohhhh, F106...you’re sorely tempting me to dumb thumb one of my foam jets just to gut the innards. That gun needs a parts kit (hint) for sale to us folks short on imagination.
                                          sfcfury...could you vid that sound when it’s up & ginning? I’ve heard some on ‘tube but would like to hear how your installation sounds.
                                          Thanks PawPaw, Unfortunately, I just don’t have the time to kit something for gun. It really isn’t too bad to build, especially if you have an old Trex 450 frame to canibalize. I'm sure someone with more talent could come up with a 3D printed solution that is more elegant and scale looking. Mine is pretty much just built out of leftover parts I had lying around in the shop.

I did get it mounted to the aircraft today. Still waiting on a 180 deg servo for gun azimuth. This will also tie to the FLIR so that the movements are synchronized. Tomorrow I’ll start to work on getting the mechanics together. I also started some detail work on the FLIR. I couldn’t stand the black painted lenses, so I cut out the left opening, and added some clear plastic with a mirror film on the right. For the left side, I’m hoping to embed a small FPV camera inside for an observer to operate. They would be able to control the gun and FLIR during flight. Should be great for handing off to kids and friends during fun flys.

Comment

Working...
                                          X