First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
    almost 7ft worth of fuselage :)
    DD, That is scary good, my friend. Wow! Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• How's the weight Dee? How does it feel, strong etc.? I dying to know. Did you do the fiberglass thing over the whole thing? Looks stunning.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
        How's the weight Dee? How does it feel, strong etc.? I dying to know. Did you do the fiberglass thing over the whole thing? Looks stunning.

Woody
        The fuselage weighs 1548g (3.4lbs), and the whole thing with wings should be under 6lbs before adding electronics and livery. Still expecting AUW to be in the 12-13lb range

The fuselage feels plenty strong. Obviously still needs to be handled carefully, but it can take a bit of heavy-handed squishing without deforming or cracking. I will only be fiberglassing the top deck of the fuselage and the bottom in key areas, mostly to strengthen against flight loads and not-so-great landings ( learning from my ERJ flop at Jet Jam that cracked the fuselage over the wings).

Wings will also get a bit of fiberglassing. I should be able to finish gluing together the wings over the next few days, getting excited for the full mock-up.

Comment

• I had to get a warranty replacement main board for my printer, so restarted my printer yesterday to catch up on reprinting my edge wings. The failure was caused by a dead cooling fan. On the main board, hence required a full board replacement.

Comment

• DD that airliner is incredible! I will be watching with interest. I will definitely tackle a 3d plane at some point when I am set up.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
              I had to get a warranty replacement main board for my printer, so restarted my printer yesterday to catch up on reprinting my edge wings. The failure was caused by a dead cooling fan. On the main board, hence required a full board replacement.
              Rifle, what happened to the PBY?

Woody

Comment

• FedEx lost the motors in shipping, so just waiting on them and hobbyking to figure out what they plan to do. They also lost 3 lipos in that shipment. It would have been done a month ago had the motors made it here.:Angry: as for the printed parts, everything is all printed, and all the electronics are installed.

Comment

• Back to printing my Sabre. PLA+

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_173211.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	188692

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                    Back to printing my Sabre. PLA+
                    RCJD, Those are beautiful parts, sir. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Yes indeed, im in the process of testing filacube filaments. They call it PLA2 so prints much hotter than PLA (225 vs 210), and took me a little while to finally get the printer calibrated for it. Dropping the retraction distance and Speeding up the retraction a bit as well. The results are so much smoother and cleaner.

Comment

• Not a plane but still 3D printed. Downloaded from Thingiverse and printed in white PLA. I am now in the process of painting it. The thing is almost 24" long.

Name:	IMG_20190407_185228.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	188813

Name:	IMG_20190407_190019.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	188814

Comment

• :Cool:Love it!

Comment

• All done... I like how it turned out.

Name:	IMG_20190407_204947.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	188838

Name:	IMG_20190407_204633.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	188839

Comment

• I can see why you would print that RCDinoDude. That's really cool.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                FedEx lost the motors in shipping, so just waiting on them and hobbyking to figure out what they plan to do. They also lost 3 lipos in that shipment. It would have been done a month ago had the motors made it here.:Angry: as for the printed parts, everything is all printed, and all the electronics are installed.
                                Sometimes they don't loose them they get taken in customs. I lost a shipment my batteries once. Got the plane but no batteries. I told HK, and they just sent a package with just the batteries. Kinda sucks.

Woody

Comment

• Wings done, and now just gap filling with ABS glue before I lay on some 3/4oz glass onto the wings.

Also a shot with the rest of my fleet to help give a sense of scale. The FW A-10 was my biggest plane until now.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                    All done... I like how it turned out.

Name:	IMG_20190407_204947.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	188838

Name:	IMG_20190407_204633.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	188839
                                    I've been eyeing that file on Thingiverse for a while, yours looks killer, as expected. What did you use to bond the parts together?
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• For PLA I am gluing things together with the cheap super glue gel from Harbor Freight. The joints are stronger than the PLA.

The brand of the PLA my matter... They are not equal. Even the natural vs various colors within the "Inland" brand I have been using makes a difference in flexibility and strength.
                                      White is weakest stiffest and a "Dragon's Egg" print will shatter if dropped. The natural is the most flexible and seems strongest so far and the "Dragon's Egg" printed with the same settings will bounce.

I haven't done the T-Rex skeleton, but I have been doing a lot of "minis" for tabletop games that will have similar needs if printed in the same material.
                                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

I've been eyeing that file on Thingiverse for a while, yours looks killer, as expected. What did you use to bond the parts together?
                                        Yes, like fhhuber said, I just used CA and a little accelerator to glue it together. I got an Ender 3 Pro and the prints came out very nice with minimal clean up. It is a very good looking model and I was super stoked when I found the files. It was one if those get to know my new printer projects.

Comment

• Solution to wanting to one piece print a .60 glow size fuselage is not far.

Extending the rails and a long build plate....

This video is me trying my best to show and describe my Tronxy X1 3d printer that I extended in one axis. I came up with this idea a while back but have just...
                                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                          X