Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grossman, what air brush do you use to spray minwax?
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
      Boy, that's a tough one, the only thing I can think of to do is to paint the bottom and sides of the hatch (I gather that what you're referring to is the whole hatch and not just the canopy) push it home and see where the paint is disturbed. Other than that, I really haven't any alternative. Hope that will at least show you where its hanging up.

Grossman56
      That's a good idea...will try it tomorrow. hahaha I figured you might have something in that head of yours to help me.

Comment

• A Master G59
        Team Gross!

Comment

• How much weight do you think the minwax adds?

Comment

• I use at least two coats on all my planes and I've never noticed any flying difference. Just because Home Depot changed brands, I'm now using the Varethane/Rustoleum brand in a Satin finish and it adds just the smallest amount of shine but helps with hangar rash and staining too...like running through muddy water, etc. It also covers up the foam and helps with problems with hot sun a bit...a real problem here in Texas! I just use a 2" cheap foam brush and it dries streak free. It's probably my imagination but I think it moves the air "smoother" too ;)

Comment

• I too use it on my planes. As a prep coat prior to repainting and as a finish coat to seal the paint and decals. I also use it with lightweight fiberglass to strengthen weak areas or in some cases repair damage.

The water based polyacrylic is very light and I've not seen any issues using it on any of my planes so far.

For sealing I use the spray
              For prep and glassing I use the can and a foam brush. Then wet sand until smooth

Comment

• This fuselage was completed with Warbird Colors paints and Varthane Gloss from a spray can - the water base stuff! Under the paint is 6 coats of Polycryllic over .5 oz. fiberglass cloth. Mostly done with a foam brush and wet sanding. 3 coats of primer over the Polycryllic. The first 2 coats of color went on with a foam brush and the last 2 coats got sprayed with a detail / touch up gun. All the plastic parts - lined with fiberglass cloth and Polycryllic- 3 coats.
                I still have enough left of that quart can I started with, to do a couple foam birds. My T-6, PT-17, Carbon Cub, and 2 Adagio Gliders also got 2 coats out of that same quart.

Comment

• F22T, Looks fantastic. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanx El Bee!

Comment

• Originally posted by bobtheman View Post
                      How much weight do you think the minwax adds?
                      Well, I have, let me count, six coats of clear gloss on the P-40, then sanded then a couple more, so yeah, about eight coats, minus what came off when I wet sanded. Took care of the gatoring!! As for extra weight.....don't tell the plane.... My P-40 flies just as well as it ever did. Think of it this way, it's a lot lighter than a sound system..

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• I put 8 coats of MinW ax on my A10 ( of course lots of wet sanding too), then primer and paint , then clear coar to stop the gator look.
                        I saw no difference to me in flight performance , just had to adjust my CG because of the paint. Flies great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	190710

BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

•  
                          BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• How well have the surfaces held up over time? Have they managed to stay smooth?

thank you

Comment

• I've switch to Rustoleum Spar urethane (water base) with the UV protection. Hoping it stops the bubbling of the foams in dark areas.

It does brush one smoother and easier than min-wax.
                              Planes
                              -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                              -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• My A10 with 6 coats of Minwax is doing very well , but, I don't let any of my plane just set in direct sunlight Light.

Keep your planes in the shade or cover them at all times when not flying. I think the hot air will also gator a plane, just like hitting it with a heat gun will. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1528291588996.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	190863

Comment

• I agree with T33, get them under shade whenever possible, having said that, the UV protectant in either Minwax or Spar Varathane really helps a lot.
                                  At Nefi, some of the fellows do just the opposite...
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	191045

And for some reason, fold their gear up as well, that tarmac has to be at least 100 degrees:Sweating::Thinking::(:Scared:

Nope, can't figure it.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• :Thinking::Thinking::Thinking::Thinking::Thinking: :Confused::Confused::Confused::Confused::Silly::Dr ooling:;)

Comment

• Got some Minwax Spar urethane today I am going to use it on my Carbon Z Cessna and a couple of other planes I have.

Comment

• Good to hear MB, it'll save you from the infamous gator!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• I put two coats on and still gator in dark areas. Was partly cloudy 68 degrees F
                                          Planes

Comment

Working...
                                          X