Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You did a great job on that P-51.

Comment

• davegee Outstanding work on all of those. I truly admire your scale work!
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post
        You did a great job on that P-51.
        Thanks, Hugh. Some paint schemes are pretty easy to suss out for scale details and painting. But planes like this one, LOU IV, are a complicated mix, and underwent many continuous changes and embellishments and you just have to pick a time to "freeze" as it came from a different look just a few weeks previous, and would change a few weeks in the future.

This particular plane had a very short life, unfortunately. Col. TJJ "Jack" Christian, Jr., traded in his B or C razorback model LOU III for this brand new D model (P-51D-NA-5), without the dorsal fin fairing between the top of the fuse and the vertical fin. He flew this plane for only a couple of months, and he and LOU IV came to grief leading a dive bombing attack on a railway terminal In northern France on August 12, 1944.

I sorta like that look without the dorsal fin fairing. I guess when they cut down the spine of the razorback P-51 for the bubbletop, they lost some stability in doing that, thus coming up with the fix for adding a triangular piece of aluminum fairing that we see on most all P-51s these days. They had the same problem with the P-47 converting it to a bubbletop, and they also added the dorsal fairing on that plane, too.

One of the most famous aviation photos in WWII was "The Bottisham Four" a publicity shoot taken from a B-24 over England on July 26, 1944, as I recall. In this picture you can see Col. Christian's plane closest to the camera, with three other pilots from the 361st Yellow Jackets in tight formation. It's sad that within just weeks of these photos being taken that day, all four of these aircraft and pilots were either destroyed and killed, or severely wounded in action.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bottisham-Four-P-51-361st-Fighter-group.jpg Views:	19 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	398784

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post
          You did a great job on that P-51.
          Thanks, Coconut!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Bottisham-Four-P-51-361st-Fighter-group.jpg Views:	23 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	398784

[/QUOTE]

Comment

• "post mortem" on right main gear failure on E Flite P-51D 1500 mm aircraft yesterday.

I mentioned in previous post of flying one of my P-47s and the E Flite P-51D LOU IV yesterday. Just to recap, I had 6 flights on the P-51 yesterday, one takeoff and landing per flight. On the final flight (6th) yesterday, I brought it in for a normal 2 point, tail low landing, and during the rollout, the right gear folded and the plane came to a stop. I don't think there were any undo sideloads or stresses on the gear, and I probably have at least 60-70 flights on this original gear for the past two years that I have had it.

Damage was minor, just the usual scrapes and cuts on the underneath of the wing that are easily repaired and repainted. The flaps were full down, and I noticed that the right flap where the gear failed stripped its servo gears so I ordered a new one of those, too.

I took the gear retract apart this morning. In almost all cases in the past for me, when I get a gear fail on landing, it has almost always been a cracked black plastic housing for the retract that was overstressed and broke. Easy enough, I just replace that retract with a new one, and off I go again to fly. However, in this case, when I pulled that gear out of the wing and ran it on a servo tester, I found to my surprise that there was not crack in the housing, and the servo drives perfectly when cycled. There is no problem with the retract itself. What WAS the culprit was the metal trunnion (I "think" that's what they call it) that has four little arms that fit into the metal shuttle piece on the threaded drive rod that moves the gear up and down. Two of these were broken off at the base. I am including a photo with a paint brush handle pointing at the two flanges that are now missing.

As I said, I was really surprised that these broke off during the landing, that wasn't all that bad, probably in the normal category of what I would call a safe landing. I don't think they sell just replacement trunnions to change out on this otherwise normal, working retract unit, so I have already ordered a replacement retract for the gear and that flap that I mentioned earlier.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on this, if you have found this trunnion fails regularly, or rarely in your experience. It could be just crappy Chinese pot metal, or maybe all these flights I've had on it finally weakened it to failure. At any rate, this plane will be ready to fly again once I get the new servos.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1831.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	398841

Comment

• davegee, happy to read you found the problem.

Your comment about 'cheap' would be my thought and/or under-designed for the material.

In any case, you've solved it, Mr. Holmes and that is all the matters.

Respectfully, Dr W.
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thank you, “Dr. Watson.” I’m pretty sure that trunnion was defective, as I can’t remember the last time I had a failure of one of these on gas, glo, or electric planes since I got into this “addiction” in 2000. I’ve had my share of cracked plastic casings, usually after I overstressed the gear on a landing, but usually that was pretty self evident to me.

Happy Landings!

cheers,

Holmes

Comment

• Hello daveegee.. as u may remember, i have about 90 flights on mine now..it and my corsair were my mainstay goto.. (only 2) but last year was lucky enuf to get 4 more.. planes ,, liken the f4 phantom ,,so can rotate a bit more....... anyway ive replaced the p51 retracts couple times now.. the same prob az yours this time,,, splt cases ..etc etc had spares from old retracts for a while..likely have that part, in my box of tricks.. let me no.. if u have not orderd the new ones... i land maybe faster than some,, and thep51 tracks hard left or right,, wind dependant.. on landing.. corsair does not do that,,, but u can see the retracts bending over,, .. i no they coul be made stronger,, but the mount r only glued in,, place,, my spits first landing in heavier grass pulled out the mount and damaged the foam... anyway i no u will as always have it repaired in the air soon enuf,, flying again.. with that nice mountain back drop.. have fun b safe

Comment

• Hi f4u Aussie: thanks for that info. I don’t know if it is worth the time and money, but if you have one of the silver metal Trunnions for the standard E-Flite P-51 in your extra parts box, I would be interested in buying it and paying shipping to get it to the USA. Maybe that would cost more than it’s worth, but that is the only part I need to make this retract unit fully operational again.

If you’re of a mind to do so, PM me on Hobbysquawk and what it would cost to get it to me, including shipping. I can give you my mailing address via PM and we’d need to figure out how to pay you for the part. I have a few retract units in my parts box, but not one compatible with the EFlite P-51.

Very much appreciate your offer!

Cheers

dsvegee

Comment

• f4u ausie davegee

Gentlemen,

Do y'all think the plastic cases could be 3D printed?

Well of course these can BE printed, but I was thinking about strength, as in printed with PETG or ASA (ABS), not PLA.

If one of you believes any of this is worth the effort, would risk rebuilding with 3D parts, and would take the time to measure one out in millimeters; I would give it go and send along the STL file to whomever needed/wanted those.

Just a thought.

Best, Steve
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Will have look in that box and pm u.

Comment

• Lb I think Ur a clever di?? All that printer stuff u do I had the mig 17. With the awsome billet gear
                            .. but if I had crappy landing it would rip the gear out with the mount in the end.destroying the wings.. so for me e week spot in gear is bettet thannew wings. As I get more into this a printer could b on my radar. But happy flying and thinking bout my next hanger clutterer thanxlb b safe

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks Craig. It is what it is, all the 3DP things. Design is the devil incarnate sometimes. Printing a finished design is the icing on the cake. LOL, Best, Steve

• My MiG is still going strong, flew it and my B-2 Tuesday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	070CD251-7111-4C32-BA28-E07977E60491.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	398883 Click image for larger version

Name:	64D23463-E937-42F9-A1D8-0FC9079FF5C6.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	398884

Comment

• Like that mig. Ye early in the piece. Was flying off dirt with little stones and the odd pot hole.. that's my excuse anyway.. again that mig is really nice

Comment

• Davegee i may have sent 2 pm let me no im crapp at teck

Comment

• I flew one of my pby catalina today, Flying a PBY Catalina offers a unique opportunity to experience the grace and presence of this iconic seaplane in the skies.

Comment

• Originally posted by kamillenielsen View Post
                                    I flew one of my pby catalina today, Flying a PBY Catalina offers a unique opportunity to experience the grace and presence of this iconic seaplane in the skies.
                                    Beautiful classic airplane! My late step-dad flew those in the Pacific during WWII for the US Navy. He really liked it, for what its mission was.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Got 'em, f4u aussie! Much obliged!👍👍👍

Cheers, mate!

Davegee

Comment

• I took two airplanes out to the field this morning. I've had both for a few years, one is an F-4N Phantom II in VF-84 paint scheme, and my A-4E, in the colors of a Viet Nam era VA-152 squadron. Hadn't flown either of these for a few months. The first flight with the A-4 with both the drop tanks and the missiles on the wings went fine, although I was a bit rusty, as can be expected.

I took off the big drop tanks and kept the missiles on for the second flight. Not long after takeoff when I was climbing out and turning for a left-hand pattern, I started having severe directional control problems. I couldn't really see what the issue was, but it was barely controllable. I tried to see what the issue was like asymmetrical flaps, a gear stuck down or something, but that wasn't it. While trying to bring it back for an emergency landing, I lost control of it and it crashed into the weeds short of the runway. When I picked up the pieces one of the missiles couldn't be found, so my guess is that one of them departed the airplane early on, causing the directional control problems.

It is definitely repairable, and all the internal things like the 6S battery, electronics, receiver, motor, ESC, etc., weren't damaged. I could replace the fuse, and I think could put it back together, but I think I might just harvest the pieces from it and call it good. I've had a lot of fun with it, but I think I'll move on from the A-4. Possibly might look into the new F-14A that just came out.

My other plane, the F-4N Jolly Rogers scheme, by comparison is a joy to fly. I have the afterburners and wheel brakes, and it drives like a fast, solid, sled. One of my favorite EDFs to fly. I took a few pics of them, plus an older one of the A-4 since it crashed before I could take a photo of it at the field.

A friend of mine once said about RC airplanes: "Sooner or later, they all come back in a body bag!" I look forward to replacing this A-4 with another fun airplane.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1833.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.5 KB ID:	398942 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1832.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.8 KB ID:	398943 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1835.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	398944 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1834.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.0 KB ID:	398945 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.5 KB ID:	398946

Comment

Working...
                                        X