X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
    I just had to take advantage of this beautiful late summer weather to fly again this morning. I had an "interservice fly off" with the USMC Corsair and USAAF P-51D. Both flew beautifully and takeoffs equalled landings with no damage, so that is a good thing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1120.jpg
Views:	1313
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	386030 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1121.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	386031
    Just love that dirty dusty look on the corsar,, awsome. Looks real

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post

Just love that dirty dusty look on the corsar,, awsome. Looks real
      Thanks, F4U Aussie! It looks better when you see it up close versus from a camera lens. They (cameras) always seem to leave some stuff out in pictures that the naked eye can see and appreciate.That "look" took months to get pretty much where I wanted it. I still occasionally do a little touchup here and there, like a canvas on an easel.

Those poor Marine Corsairs; being on the end of the supply chain way out in the South Pacific in WWII, the mechanics had to just deal with keeping things running as best they could, and pretty much zero importance on how they looked. A good friend of mine's dad was a crew chief on Corsairs out there in WWII. It was pretty tough living for all, and they got real skinny during their combat tours!

davegee

Comment

• Had some fun this morning flying out of our field just outside Cody with perfect weather conditions with two friends. I flew my Beech 18 and my I Wanted Wings P-47D razorback a few flights. I noticed that even though the landings on the P-47 were decent, the right main gear was loose in its plastic mount to the wing. I pulled it up some and have to squirt some epoxy glue in there and then it will be back to flying shape again.

I'll let Dan Gross post the pictures of his Bearcat and Tigercat that I took while he was flying this morning. Came out fairly well, I thought.

Name:	IMG-1122 (1).jpg
Views:	344
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	386267 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1123 (3).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	386268

Comment

• dupe post for some reason
          Last edited by davegee; Sep 11, 2023, 03:08 PM. Reason: dup post for some reason

Comment

• Thanks for taking the pics for Ron and me Dave, I don't think I have any of the RV8 flying as well as BBD, now at last, I do!

Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM3038_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	386332 Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM3042_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	386333 Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM2995_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.1 KB ID:	386334

My smashed and trashed Bearcat, resurrected and flying amazingly well with the stock prop, a 3948 - KV760 and a 85A Mantis ESC. Very simple mod and the result has to be seen to be believed when she goes vertical, energizer bunny style, she keeps going and going and going... Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM2999_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	386335 Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM3084_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	386336
            Speaking of resurrected birds. the Tigercat back in the air as well, first shots of her flying since Nefi 2018. Original wings and tail plus one nacelle. All retracts, motors ESC's and servos are original. Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM3092_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	386337 Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM2977_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.2 KB ID:	386338
            And the oldest Gal in the fleet, BBD, in her one and only flight picture. Hope to rectify that soon....

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
              Thanks for taking the pics for Ron and me Dave, I don't think I have any of the RV8 flying as well as BBD, now at last, I do!

Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM3038_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	386332 Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM3042_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	386333 Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM2995_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.1 KB ID:	386334

My smashed and trashed Bearcat, resurrected and flying amazingly well with the stock prop, a 3948 - KV760 and a 85A Mantis ESC. Very simple mod and the result has to be seen to be believed when she goes vertical, energizer bunny style, she keeps going and going and going... Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM2999_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	386335 Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM3084_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	386336
              Speaking of resurrected birds. the Tigercat back in the air as well, first shots of her flying since Nefi 2018. Original wings and tail plus one nacelle. All retracts, motors ESC's and servos are original. Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM3092_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	386337 Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM2977_edited.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.2 KB ID:	386338
              And the oldest Gal in the fleet, BBD, in her one and only flight picture. Hope to rectify that soon....

Grossman56
              Hi Dan: I'm awaiting my new replacement Photoshop app in the mail any day now. When I get it, I should be able to take a good look at several of your BBD shots that I took and blow them up to the point that they are usable to look at. We'll see. I'll keep you posted and send any worthy ones to you when I get them. Should be within the next two weeks.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Sounds great!! I loved the group shots of the Wyoming Mustang Roundup. Theme Days really make you appreciate the hobby, nice to give those who flew the full scale ones a tip of the hat.

Name:	IMG_5806.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	386429

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Elbee
                  Elbee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that is so very cool. it seems I should buy a mustang and move to WY.

• And great mix of schemes

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	pair.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	386468

Comment

• First one I have seen in person! Robert flies it well!
                    warbirds over Wenatchee 2023

Comment

• Convergence on HV pack, and F-14
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Convergence (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	247.8 KB ID:	386615
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09594.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	386613 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-9055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.5 KB ID:	386614

Comment

• Got out yesterday with an odd collection of aircraft, as each flies quite a bit differently. Keeps me on my toes and not getting comfortable. The A-10/Spitfire/Avanti are now all flying on the new SMC HiV 5900's weighing in at 740 gr. Outstanding batteries that I now use exclusively in almost everything. The Eurofighter is using the SMC HiV 8S 4400 pack and the Extreme Flight birds use the SMC HiV 4400 6S packs. Guess I'm officially an SMC HiV groupie as I've sold everything else I had.

Name:	20230915_123854.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	386678 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230915_123912.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	386679
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Nice Collection of aircraft there, Hugh!👍👍👍

Comment

• Took my Corsair and Beech 18 out to the field this morning for a few flights. I guess Fall doesn't officially come until Saturday the 23rd, but the mornings are getting cool and crisp, which isn't a bad thing. Winds almost calm and smooth, lots of sunshine and just fun getting the birds out to fly.

Name:	unnamed (1)Corsair and B18adjsuted.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	386911

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20230917_134216.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	387025 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230917_152917.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	387026 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230917_151722.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	387027 It was a bush plane day for me last Sunday! Maiden flight for the Beaver, a new favorite. And a few other old favorites!

Comment

• A couple of weeks ago we had the last decent day of summer before the winds and rain came back again.

Owner and pilot: paulrkytekSorry the video is a bit disjointed. Who knew that a shiny silver plane against a blue sky with white clouds would make it hard to...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                  Got out yesterday with an odd collection of aircraft,
                                  Now that is a busy day, my Friend.

Beautiful airframes, Hugh, as always.

Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post

Name:	20230917_134216.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	387025 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230917_152917.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	387026 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230917_151722.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	387027 It was a bush plane day for me last Sunday! Maiden flight for the Beaver, a new favorite. And a few other old favorites!
                                    Beautiful planes, in a beautiful part of the Country!

Davegee

Comment

• Taking advantage of super beautiful flying weather for the beginnings of Fall, I took my FMS 1500mm P-47D Hairless Joe and the venerable, dependable, Beech 18D Eflite plane.

I'd like to point out for those thinking of getting the FMS 1500mm P-47D, and for those who already have one, you may or may not be aware of a bug that needs to be made aware of in your flying. I have three of these planes now, used to have one years ago that crashed, but I truly love these FMS planes. The scale outline is very good, and they fly great, I think even better putting on the V3 Corsair prop which is considerably bigger than the underscale stock prop that comes with the kit.

Here's my warning: FMS designed an easy slip-in fit of the wings into the fuse using male/female plugs and long screws (two per wing to keep the wings tight to the fuselage when flying. I have found on several occasions, which includes an aborted flight opportunity yesterday because I couldn't get the left gear to come down, that even though it seems that all these plugs are securely in place between the wings and fuse, that they can be slightly off, and the electrical connection is not made. This can also happen during flight, though rarely, but that can make for an "interesting" landing as one of the main gear don't come down. It might have to do some with wing flex during flight, and jarring takeoffs and/or landings.

When I got the plane home yesterday after not flying it due to the gear problem, I removed that wing, and then "rebooted" it into the fuselage and this time the connection was made. I had a couple of good flights with it this morning, along with the Beech 18D.

So, in conclusion, be aware that this slick pin system for connecting up the gear and wings does have some potential pitfalls. I always do a full check on these planes in the shop before ever going out to the field, and then always do a second thorough test on everything before taking them up for flight. Just a wise word from the school of hard knocks!!

Happy Flying!

Davegee

Name:	IMG-1159.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	387213 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1162 (2).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	387214 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1161.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	387215

Comment

• Great to see Dave! Didn't get out 'til later that day, all the flip floppers (3D flyers, it's an inside thing) were out but still managed to get a few flights in. Man what perfect weather! I'm going to watch the weather and if it's good when I get off work, might head out then during the week.
                                        Next week for sure (Oct. 2) So much better when everyone is flying pattern.
                                        It was funny yesterday, because none of them could do a decent landing, so I took the RV 8 up and proceeded to do 7 or 8 greased in landings. Sometimes you just have to be a smart ass
                                        As I said before, we have our own sub group, you me and Ron. "The Old Farts With Airplanes" Club.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X