X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
    I took my FMS P-47D Hairless Joe out for a couple of flights today. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a nightmare, due to an intermittent problem with the electrical connectors on the left wing/fuselage. I thought I had this problem solved by putting a piece of wood behind the connector unit on the wing to push it closer to the one on the fuse, but today that didn't work out. Takeoff was normal, but then I noticed the plane wanted to make a sharp bank to the left on occasion. When I brought it around, the left gear had not retracted. Recycled the gear, and this time it went up ok. On landing, the plane wanted to sharply bank left with the flaps down, and I think the left flap unit and left aileron were not working properly. Got it on the ground, of course everything works fine, took it up for one quick circuit, and problems came back. Got it down using a flaps up landing, plane skipped after touchdown due to too much speed I guess, settled down but went off the side of the runway and flipped over.

Fortunately, just a little damage to the top of the vertical stab when it flipped over.

So, the plane is grounded until I can figure out a workaround with this wing connector. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0047.jpgadjusted.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	356055
    Sorry for your problems but have to say, that is one nice looking P-47.....

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Sorry for your problems but have to say, that is one nice looking P-47.....
      Thanks, DCorsair. Outside of the problems I have been having with this particular airplane, it is one Nice flying machine!! I have previously stated I have another plane, and it has always flown beautifully. Before that, years ago I had another one that eventually crashed, not sure if the wing connectors were part of the problem or not, but this is the first time I have had this wing connector issue that I know of, although I've been quite familiar with others complaining about it with their models over the years.

As an update, I did the repair to the top of the vertical stab when it flipped over on rollout yesterday. That was my first flaps up landing, and I wanted to be sure I didn't get it too slow on landing, but when it skipped back up into the air a few feet, I didn't dare try a go around with all the problems I was having with that wing! It worked out ok, I guess. That was probably the most difficult flying I have done in RC flying, trying to keep control of a very troubled airplane! It almost went in several times as I tried to nurse it around to an emergency landing!

I worked several hours yesterday taking the wing off, removing the two connectors and inspecting them and the wiring and trying to get a fix on why I had all these problems. It was vexing, sometimes a gear wouldn't work and then it would, etc. But after all this time, I think when I put it back together, it seems to be holding and everything is working. I will run more tests before I venture out with another test flight.

I'll attach a pic of my other plane that I fly regularly, again, this one has never demonstrated any control issues like my new plane has. It is also based on a real paint scheme from one flown in the 56th Fighter Group during WWII out of England, 8th Air Force. It was named: I Wanted Wings/ Button Nose.

Bottom line: if you get a hold of one of these airplanes, they are great, but BEWARE of these wing connectors. They can easily bring down your airplane!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0868.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	356079

Comment

• Ma'am, both of your JUGS look beautiful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post
          Ma'am, both of your JUGS look beautiful.
          Good one, Coconut!

Thanks!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Thanks, DCorsair. Outside of the problems I have been having with this particular airplane, it is one Nice flying machine!! I have previously stated I have another plane, and it has always flown beautifully. Before that, years ago I had another one that eventually crashed, not sure if the wing connectors were part of the problem or not, but this is the first time I have had this wing connector issue that I know of, although I've been quite familiar with others complaining about it with their models over the years.

As an update, I did the repair to the top of the vertical stab when it flipped over on rollout yesterday. That was my first flaps up landing, and I wanted to be sure I didn't get it too slow on landing, but when it skipped back up into the air a few feet, I didn't dare try a go around with all the problems I was having with that wing! It worked out ok, I guess. That was probably the most difficult flying I have done in RC flying, trying to keep control of a very troubled airplane! It almost went in several times as I tried to nurse it around to an emergency landing!

I worked several hours yesterday taking the wing off, removing the two connectors and inspecting them and the wiring and trying to get a fix on why I had all these problems. It was vexing, sometimes a gear wouldn't work and then it would, etc. But after all this time, I think when I put it back together, it seems to be holding and everything is working. I will run more tests before I venture out with another test flight.

I'll attach a pic of my other plane that I fly regularly, again, this one has never demonstrated any control issues like my new plane has. It is also based on a real paint scheme from one flown in the 56th Fighter Group during WWII out of England, 8th Air Force. It was named: I Wanted Wings/ Button Nose.

Bottom line: if you get a hold of one of these airplanes, they are great, but BEWARE of these wing connectors. They can easily bring down your airplane!!

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0868.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	356079
            Well, I took my Hairless Joe P-47D out for another test flight today, hoping that I wouldn't have the near-disastrous flights I had last week. Again, everything checked out beautifully on the ground, and I started by flying a circuit with the gear down before starting to test all the problem areas on that left wing. I then retracted the gear, but of course, the left gear stayed down and would not retract. This time, I had no issues with the other gear coming down, or the flap, aileron, or the red wing light on that left side. Eventually brought it down for a good landing, then tested it on the table next to the flight line. Worked perfectly! Took it out for another flight, same result, left gear would not retract. Eventually called it a day after trying to cycle the gear several times. On the ground this time the left gear would still not retract, so I had to haul it home in the truck with the left gear out.

I'm thinking that something is still amiss with the metal connector male/female plugins that come with this plane. Very innovative, but not worth much if you have the problems I have been having,

I don't think the problem lies with the gear sequencer, as all gear/gear door sequences work perfectly on the ground, and for that matter, in the air, with the exception of the left gear.

I don't think the problem lies with the left gear retract unit, as it also works great on the ground, and when I isolate it and power it up with a different power source, it works perfectly.

Right now, I'm thinking, since I rarely take the wings off because it fits in my truck ok to the field, that I'll bypass these metal connectors that come with the kit, removing them entirely on the left wing. I just ordered a bunch of male/male extension cables and will use those cables to connect the wires in the fuselage to the wing, sorta "old school" approach and then see if that solves the problem.

Seems to me that when an aerodynamic load is placed on the airframe (flying it) that is when I have these problems, as it works fine on the ground. Will continue to try and suss this issue out.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would very much appreciate hearing them.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220905_072414630.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	356176Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220905_072421429.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.2 KB ID:	356160

Got three more flights on the HSD T-33, over 30 flights on it now and just a big baby to fly, most enjoyable EDF I have flown besides the big FW A-10.

Comment

• Dave, I think over a year ago I read that people was doing that with their P-47's. Just letting it sit loose instead of going with the hard connections. I think I read something like that about the FMS 1500mm P-47. And it was because of the same reason you mentioned, aerodynamic forces.

Comment

• It may be worth pulling the connections apart every now and then and using some contact cleaner spray .

Comment

• Funny,,, decided to post first, p51 thread then read messages,, similer prob 4 me on the p51 but only rh aileron.. seems like our appetite 4 easy assembly at field.. has created a monster ,, i may rewire it all with no joins.. or at least the centre section those removabe outer panels r handy. But not at the cost of the plane.. so its a toss up .. good luck with the beautiful p47 daveegee

Comment

Well, I took my Hairless Joe P-47D out for another test flight today, hoping that I wouldn't have the near-disastrous flights I had last week. Again, everything checked out beautifully on the ground, and I started by flying a circuit with the gear down before starting to test all the problem areas on that left wing. I then retracted the gear, but of course, the left gear stayed down and would not retract. This time, I had no issues with the other gear coming down, or the flap, aileron, or the red wing light on that left side. Eventually brought it down for a good landing, then tested it on the table next to the flight line. Worked perfectly! Took it out for another flight, same result, left gear would not retract. Eventually called it a day after trying to cycle the gear several times. On the ground this time the left gear would still not retract, so I had to haul it home in the truck with the left gear out.

I'm thinking that something is still amiss with the metal connector male/female plugins that come with this plane. Very innovative, but not worth much if you have the problems I have been having,

I don't think the problem lies with the gear sequencer, as all gear/gear door sequences work perfectly on the ground, and for that matter, in the air, with the exception of the left gear.

I don't think the problem lies with the left gear retract unit, as it also works great on the ground, and when I isolate it and power it up with a different power source, it works perfectly.

Right now, I'm thinking, since I rarely take the wings off because it fits in my truck ok to the field, that I'll bypass these metal connectors that come with the kit, removing them entirely on the left wing. I just ordered a bunch of male/male extension cables and will use those cables to connect the wires in the fuselage to the wing, sorta "old school" approach and then see if that solves the problem.

Seems to me that when an aerodynamic load is placed on the airframe (flying it) that is when I have these problems, as it works fine on the ground. Will continue to try and suss this issue out.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would very much appreciate hearing them.

Cheers

Davegee
                      Have you checked the gear sequencer connectors for tightness, On my Dr Mad Thrust sequencer I have 3 connectors to check and I have taped them in place to avoid disturbance if the sequencer rattles around in the air

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post

Have you checked the gear sequencer connectors for tightness, On my Dr Mad Thrust sequencer I have 3 connectors to check and I have taped them in place to avoid disturbance if the sequencer rattles around in the air
                        Thanks for the suggestion, Paulrkytek. Yes, I looked the sequencer over again yesterday. It is very secure, and they put strong strapping tape around it at the factory to keep it from getting loose. I switched out the electronic board with all its connectors like the sequencer with my established P-47 that has flown flawlessly for almost 3 years. I moved the problem wing with its recalcitrant landing gear onto the other airplane and determined that the landing gear and sequencing is not the problem. I've tried to narrow down the culprits for this issue and right now, both airplanes are back together, thoroughly tested on the ground, even doing some shake and rattle tests and a few minor drop tests in my shop to see if I can induce that gear to not retract in the air like I had yesterday. My hope field is paved but pretty rough in spots.

No problems came up at all, and my test flight at the field this morning was thwarted by too much crosswind and gusty winds for this test.

Maybe tomorrow. Thanks again for your input. It is a good thought, and I'll still keep an eye on that sequencer unit in the future.

davegee

Comment

• Im sure floating connectors as most freewing is the answer.. last nite i made a permanent connection on my ailerons on the p51, centre section stays on.. will leave outerpanels as they r and hope 4 best.. will fly o wend and report

Comment

I took my FMS P-47D Hairless Joe out for a couple of flights today. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a nightmare, due to an intermittent problem with the electrical connectors on the left wing/fuselage. I thought I had this problem solved by putting a piece of wood behind the connector unit on the wing to push it closer to the one on the fuse, but today that didn't work out. Takeoff was normal, but then I noticed the plane wanted to make a sharp bank to the left on occasion. When I brought it around, the left gear had not retracted. Recycled the gear, and this time it went up ok. On landing, the plane wanted to sharply bank left with the flaps down, and I think the left flap unit and left aileron were not working properly. Got it on the ground, of course everything works fine, took it up for one quick circuit, and problems came back. Got it down using a flaps up landing, plane skipped after touchdown due to too much speed I guess, settled down but went off the side of the runway and flipped over.

Fortunately, just a little damage to the top of the vertical stab when it flipped over.

So, the plane is grounded until I can figure out a workaround with this wing connector. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0047.jpgadjusted.jpg Views:	80 Size:	206.5 KB ID:	356055
                            Been working hard on a fix for my FMS P-47D Hairless Joe. Did trade out some parts from my other FMS P-47D I Wanted Wings, and both planes operate perfectly on the ground, anyway. Actually, the I Wanted Wings has always flown and operated great, and Hairless Joe works perfectly on the ground, with the only complaint last flight test was the left gear not retracting when commanded. Next time I get to fly it again, I'll see if all these problems have been ironed out.

I really enjoy flying these planes when they are working properly. They have a very realistic presence in the air and on the ground, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post
                              Dave, I think over a year ago I read that people was doing that with their P-47's. Just letting it sit loose instead of going with the hard connections. I think I read something like that about the FMS 1500mm P-47. And it was because of the same reason you mentioned, aerodynamic forces.
                              Interesting, and thank you for that input, Coconut! After spending hours testing and retesting the plane with my other FMS P-47D side by side, at least on the ground, both planes operate perfectly. With my older P-47, I never had any issues with the wing connectors, although I was aware others with the same type plane had some issues with them. Due to winds that are out of bounds for my test flights, I'm having to wait until they abate some before I can test out if whatever tweaking I did has fixed the problem. Will report after I have been able to wring it out with more test flights, probably this weekend or next week.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• We are having a Warbirds event at the club field this Saturday so I have marked out a carrier deck landing area with the carrier based roughly on USS Franklin. I had my first attempts at landing today, first attempt landed on deck, hit tower !, second and third attempts landed on deck, overshot end of deck. Fourth attempt landed on deck, stopped before end of runway. I wonder what the percentage was in WW2 ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220907_163454_072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.6 KB ID:	356322

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220907_163611_034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.5 KB ID:	356323
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220907_163817_023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	356324

Comment

• Ron and I were out the other morning and the weather was great, until the wind blew in at 20 plus mph, it was all we could do to juggle planes around and get them safe. I had the wings on the RV 8, and even with the weighted sand bags wrapped around the L/G she wanted to fly, finally got the wings off and tucked in the truck. Quite the battle but everyone came through unscathed.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Photo of my Spitfire in the air and my Bearcat at warbirds day/carrier deck landing at DDMAC

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spitfire at Warbirds.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	356557
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire landing at DDMAC.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	356558
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bearcat at warbirds day.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.7 KB ID:	356555
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Carrier deck photo 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.9 KB ID:	356556

Comment

• The prop on the Spitfire looks huge. And, I like the red accents on the Bearcat.

Comment

• Flew these today. Had a blast.

Tom
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• This morning I finally had the chance to recreate the recovery of Alan Shepard's Freedom 7 Mercury Capsule with my RC UH-34 Choctaw over the water at the Southern Scale Helicopter Challenge. The helicopter was modeled and painted in the scheme of the real Mercury Redstone 3 recovery chopper, so it was tons of fun to actually sling load a capsule underneath it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X