Click image for larger version

Name:	478FEDB2-A509-4198-90DC-6BB427014CEC.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	400106

Comment

• Great collection... lota fun flying all those

Comment

• I got my "remaiden" of my Freewing F-18C accomplished this morning. I say "remaiden" because I got about 28 flights on my previous airframe before I had a bad go around and decided to get a ARF+ and put all the "innards" from the old airplane into the new airframe.

I started out with a couple of flights of my venerable T-33, which is always a delight to fly. Then I did some more ground checks on the F-18, took in a breath, and fired it down the runway. This flight was "exciting." Our very rough paved runway makes it challenging to fly jets that require a long takeoff run. Somewhere down the runway, not yet at takeoff speed, it did a sudden turn towards the right side of the runway, probably hit some big crack in the runway or something. I was committed to take off, so I yanked on the elevator, just hoping for a successful takeoff. It worked, lots of power, and I took it around the patch for several laps to check everything out. When I looked up at it as it came above me, it looked like the canopy was loose. So, I backed off on the power and tried to bring it around for a precautionary landing. But when I got on downwind leg, the cockpit departed the aircraft and fluttered down to the ground. Now, with the cockpit off, the plane was really acting squirrely in directional control and I just did everything I could to bring it down safely. That worked out with no damage, fortunately.

The second flight was much more routine. I don't think I had to change any trim settings, it just was pretty dialed in, although I'm not done testing it. But all was good today. Aside from the cockpit ejection which I found fairly easily in the field undamaged, I had some very good flights for the first time flying this airplane in close to a year, with the new airframe.

So, these two planes will stand down for awhile for some improvements. I've ordered a 8 channel Spektrum receiver to replace the AR637T 6 -channel that is in there now so I can add brakes. I ordered two sets of JP brakes, one for the Hornet, and the other for the T-33. Both of these planes like to roll out to the end of the runway and beyond, and there are nasty weeds and rocks that can scratch or damage the plane when it goes off runway. I'm expecting those parts maybe this weekend, and I should be able to resume flying of these planes in the next week or two. I've been very happy with my JP brakes on my Freewing F-4, good thing to have on my runway situation.

Also, although a bit of a pain, I have all my planes set up now so I can put the Spektrum Sky GPS module in each plane that is going up, and just easily transfer it to the next plane set to fly next. It seems to work just fine, no issues.

I'll attach a few pics from this morning after the flights.

Cheers

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1853.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.6 KB ID:	400440 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1852.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.1 KB ID:	400441 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1857.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	400442

Comment

• Supposed to get a rain/snow mix of weather this weekend, but today (Friday) was just a perfect day to get out and fly. I brought my Beech 18 and my new redo of the 1500 mm P-47D razorback. I wrote in previous posts a few weeks ago that my new P-47 had suddenly acquired the bad habits of the E-Flite P-51D with those hard rubber tires on it, bouncing badly on landings. The FMS P-47 has the same type of hard wheels on it, too, but for some reason this had never been a problem on that airplane, for me. But all of a sudden, my P-47 was doing the same thing. Fortunately, I discovered that the foam belly drop tank had a loose plastic connector that caused the tank to droop down under the air load a bit and contact the runway just before the gear, causing the awkward bounce on landing. Subsequent flight tests after the tank was removed confirmed that.

This morning's flight was also done without any drop tanks or ordnance, and the flight was just beautiful from start to finish. Winds started picking up just a bit and I called it good for the morning.

I've had several of these FMS jugs, all got repainted to specific historical paint schemes in camo colors. This is the first one I did in NMF (Natural Metal Finish) and I find it a nice change. It is also historically correct to ace Robert S. Johnson's Penrod and Sam razorback he flew briefly before completing his long tour in Europe in WWII. He was the first American fighter pilot to best Eddie Rickenbacker's record from WWI (Johnson 27 kills, Rickenbacker, 26.)

If you are familiar with the stock prop that comes with this kit, that works fine. But it is definitely undersized, and I preferred the larger V3 prop from the FMS 1700mm Corsair. Works wonderfully, and if you are careful with it, it flies as good as it looks with this mod to this airplane.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1858.jpg Views:	4 Size:	174.9 KB ID:	400527 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1859.jpg Views:	4 Size:	183.2 KB ID:	400528 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1862 (1).jpg Views:	4 Size:	171.4 KB ID:	400529

Comment

• Awsome as always dave.... u got that part yet.. cant b far...?

Comment

• Flew the HSD F-16 with drop tanks, amazing jet as for how it flies, with the CG at the tail heavy limit it will just hang there in a high AOA on approach but you have to be paying attention and add power back in at the right moment to get a very slow landing and roll out, no brakes needed. I like it better with it a little nose heavy though for making better scale nose high landings, with elevator trimmed properly and the throttle at the right setting it will almost land itself.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                Awsome as always dave.... u got that part yet.. cant b far...?
                Hi F4U aussie: I PM'd you on April 6 that it arrived in great shape and it took no time at all to drop it in my retract. Thanks again so much for sending me that much needed part. I hope I don't have occasion to break another one as it has been an extreme rarity for me to break those trunnions on foamies. Now big gassers, that's anotther story!

Thanks again, Mate!

Hope I can return the favor someday with a part I might have that you need!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• After work this evening I was able yet a couple of flights on the 80mm F-14...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• I took my T-bird and F-4N out to the field today to test out the new JP brakes that I installed on them. Actually, I have had the F-4 brakes installed for about a month, but this is the first time I moved the brake activation switch on my DX 18 transmitter from a toggle switch off/on, to the momentary push binding switch. I found it difficult for me to find that darned toggle switch when I'm trying to keep the airplane straight on rollout. I found that the bind switch on top of the receiver was easier to find without looking at it. This was not my idea, but RC Geek Chris Wolf's idea that he had in one of his videos I watched recently, Worked great.

For my T-bird, I've had that one going on 6 years, now. Great plane, probably at least 100 flights on it, probably a lot more. When we moved to Cody 4 1/2 years ago, the T-bird and my Flightline Spitfire were the first airplanes I flew at my new field. I lamented even back then that I should get brakes for it as it took a lot of effort to land consistently well and roll out to a stop before the end of the rather short and bumpy asphalt runway at 5,000 feet MSL. It took this long for me to install brakes on it. No excuses. But I was delighted how well the brakes worked and I probably was stopped about halfway down the runway. For me, brakes on all jets will be a requirement. I'm thinking of getting the new F-14 once I feel more comfortable with my Freewing F-18C. I have two flights on it, and I just added brakes which should help like it does the above two jets I flew today.

Cheers

Davegee

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	401218 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873 (1).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	401219

Comment

• I flew my Mooney from San Antonio, TX to Chicago. Does that count?1012 miles as the crow flies.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	G0010118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	401290

Comment

• kallend Yeah it counts, BIG TIME. Best, Steve
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• davegee I have too many planes, maybe, but I don't have a T33, yet. I'd like to do one up in the WyoANG scheme like the museum restoration that's down in Laramie, or maybe it's in Cheyenne. Have you seen it or photos of it? I obviously haven't seen it in person but it would be a fun tribute. The paint scheme is not too far off of the stock scheme, but has the classic bronco and rider on it.The only other WyoANG planes that were in service that I know of are the P51 and of course the C130's. I mostly go for Navy planes, but I've seen the T33 fly and it's a special plane, and it would be cool to have a home state scheme.

Comment

• Hi SanExup: what a marvelous idea!! I have never seen a pic of this airplane, but it would be one of a kind and Very original. I have tons of flights on mine going on 6 years now. I find it to be a great “weather ship” before flying my other jets as a warm up.

My fondness for the T-bird goes back to about 1961. We had a family friend who was a Col. (later general) in the USAF. He was stationed at the Pentagon in Washington, DC., and he would fly out to Denver where we lived over a weekend in a T-33. Looked much like the Freewing model. Anyway, on Sunday mornings we would pick him and the other pilot up at the base, and drive them to Buckley Field, east of Denver. Back in those days, things were pretty lax, and we’d walk on the flightline to see him off. He let me and my sister climb up in the cockpit and he’d close the canopy and it felt like we were Real pilots! I think he let me put on his helmet, too. After a few minutes, he’d bring the canopy up, we’d get out, they’d climb in, light the fire, and took off. He always did a “wing waggle” saying goodbye to us as he disappeared into the sky. A very fond memory growing up, and I think often of those times when I fly the model.

Please keep us in the loop on your possible project. Post a pic if you have one. Good choice if you end up doing it!

davegee

Comment

• I got two more flights on the Hornet today, and two with my dependable T-33. A bit cold, but the snow was off the runway from the recent storm, a bit of a right crosswind, but I opted to fly.

After I did my warm up flights with the T-Bird, it was time for the Hornet. First takeoff roll was a bit shaky but I got it off the ground ok. The rest of the flight I felt much more in control of the situation, and didn't have the problem I experienced on earlier flights where I was going too fast when I brought the first notch of flaps down. This caused the plane to "balloon" up and pitch up fairly sharply (no gyro installed presently), but was plenty manageable. I'm getting back in the groove with gauging the speed of the jet when I apply flaps/gear.

I flew one flight with the wings "clean" of any ordnance, and the second flight tested out the new 3D printed AiM-9s on the wingtips. Couldn't see any problems with drag or directional control, it was as if the airplane didn't even have them on the wings. The landings were also better and I'm learning techniques to allow me to carefully move my left thumb on top of the rudder/power stick and move my left index finger on top of the bind button on top of the transmitter where I simply need to press down on the bind button to apply brakes, as needed. All the while, i'm using my left thumb to keep the steering straight down the runway as it is decelerating to a stop (in theory!). For me, a bit tricky, but I'm getting better at it. Brakes on all my jets are a good thing, and well worth the price.

So, it was a good day. No scratches or dings on the aircraft this morning, no "dumb thumbs" and takeoffs equalled landings, which is always a good thing. I'm hoping to improve my flying skills with this challenging aircraft (for me, a nearly 70 year old-"old fart") and enjoy what these planes do for me and my interest in this hobby.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1898cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	401678 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1899.jpg Views:	0 Size:	329.9 KB ID:	401679 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1900cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.0 KB ID:	401680 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.9 KB ID:	401681 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1903.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.5 KB ID:	401682

Comment

• 70 years young, that mountains nice with snow,, bitcold 4 the bears... oh nice planepics,, like that hornet, but seems commonly to be a hand full first 8s flight on f4 phantom on suday if the weather holds ,, will report

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                                  70 years young, that mountains nice with snow,, bitcold 4 the bears... oh nice planepics,, like that hornet, but seems commonly to be a hand full first 8s flight on f4 phantom on suday if the weather holds ,, will report
                                  Thanks, f4u aussie. I think the bears are up there now, but hopefully with warmer spring weather they'll move up to higher levels away from Heart Mountain. My dentist and I plan to hike it when it gets a little warmer and the snow melts off, more or less.

Good luck on your F4 flight. Hopefully you can do it on Sunday. Be sure to post pics!!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                                    I got two more flights on the Hornet today, and two with my dependable T-33. A bit cold, but the snow was off the runway from the recent storm, a bit of a right crosswind, but I opted to fly.

After I did my warm up flights with the T-Bird, it was time for the Hornet. First takeoff roll was a bit shaky but I got it off the ground ok. The rest of the flight I felt much more in control of the situation, and didn't have the problem I experienced on earlier flights where I was going too fast when I brought the first notch of flaps down. This caused the plane to "balloon" up and pitch up fairly sharply (no gyro installed presently), but was plenty manageable. I'm getting back in the groove with gauging the speed of the jet when I apply flaps/gear.

I flew one flight with the wings "clean" of any ordnance, and the second flight tested out the new 3D printed AiM-9s on the wingtips. Couldn't see any problems with drag or directional control, it was as if the airplane didn't even have them on the wings. The landings were also better and I'm learning techniques to allow me to carefully move my left thumb on top of the rudder/power stick and move my left index finger on top of the bind button on top of the transmitter where I simply need to press down on the bind button to apply brakes, as needed. All the while, i'm using my left thumb to keep the steering straight down the runway as it is decelerating to a stop (in theory!). For me, a bit tricky, but I'm getting better at it. Brakes on all my jets are a good thing, and well worth the price.

So, it was a good day. No scratches or dings on the aircraft this morning, no "dumb thumbs" and takeoffs equalled landings, which is always a good thing. I'm hoping to improve my flying skills with this challenging aircraft (for me, a nearly 70 year old-"old fart") and enjoy what these planes do for me and my interest in this hobby.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1898cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	401678 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1899.jpg Views:	0 Size:	329.9 KB ID:	401679 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1900cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.0 KB ID:	401680 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.9 KB ID:	401681 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1903.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.5 KB ID:	401682
                                    Took the F-18 and the T bird for a few flights today. Nothing special about the T-bird, loving its performance and also the wheel brakes are great at this altitude and type of runway that I am operating out of.

The F-18 I reinstalled the "Elbee cockpit" with all the beautiful 3D printed details that he designed for this special improvement to the cockpit. It is heavier, almost twice that of the stock cockpit so I had to move the battery back over an inch to get the correct CG. Most of my flights, today (with the old and new aircraft from the previously reported crash landing last year) was flight number 33 and it flew great with the missiles and the detailed Elbee cockpit onboard.

The second flight was somewhat of a problem, though. I have several 6S 5000 mAh 50C Admiral batteries that have gotten a LOT of use, as I have been flying almost exclusively 6S batteries for years. Everything was charged up properly and I was ready for another fun flight. However, on the takeoff roll, it seemed a bit "off" from the high pitch I'm used to hearing on full takeoff power. When I took off, it was definitely lacking power, and I brought the gear and flaps up. The plane was slow and struggling, so I figured I better bring it right back around for a landing. I wanted to be sure I didn't stall it or do something stupid so I flew it in high and landed pretty far down the runway. I have JP brakes so it came to a stop ok, but it tipped onto one wingtip and caused minor damage that I'm repairing now. I have retired that battery to ground ops from now on.

I need to purchase a couple more batteries, fresh ones that I can count on. The ones I was using are about 2 1/2 years old so maybe I need to change out batteries sooner than I have been doing them. For planes like P-47s and P-51s, they're probably fine, but for big battery eaters like jets and the F-18, I need good fresh, high power batteries.

Was wondering if anyone has a consensus how long they fly their better jet airplanes on batteries before they retire the batteries for new ones?

Cheers

Davegee

Name:	IMG_1911 (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	401913 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909 (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	401914 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910 (1).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	401915

Comment

• davegee

That is one fine looking Bug, Sir.

Best, LB
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                        davegee

That is one fine looking Bug, Sir.

Best, LB
                                        Thanks, Elbee. I am finishing up painting the wingtip repair tonight and ordering some new batteries from MRC now. I still have a few newer 5000 6S batteries I can fly, but I really need to have some fresh ones to replace the ones I've been using for years!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Brought my Freewing F-4N and B-2 Spirit out to the field today. Great weather, low winds, so perfect to fly the B-2. Lots of fun.

Cheers

Davegee Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1917.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	401969 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1920.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	401970

Comment

Working...
                                          X