Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great flying weather.......been out most afternoons and evenings. Nav lights great on approach in the dusk. Have to look for my wee camera to get some vids to post. Been flying inverted a lot and the gyro is a great help....High alpha short landings coming along nicely, even left tyres and nets up that the footballers use just to test the metal !!

Comment

• Another idiot dog owner ... this one decided to let his dog off the leash while I was airborne and play with it right under the approach to my now narrow "runway". as unfortunately I'd left the tyres out again.

Are dog owners inherently stupid or am I just expecting too much ??????????

Comment

• No offence, but it sounds like you are flying where you shouldn't be...

Comment

• Originally posted by Daryl View Post
          No offence, but it sounds like you are flying where you shouldn't be...
          When I started flying there a local councillor was encouraging me to form a club but that is quite impossible in my area as there is little or no interest in r/c flying,
          If I have the intelligence not take off if anyone is on the park in the interest of their safety surely they, mostly dog owners, should have that same interest sufficient to stay off it for a few minutes till I landed...but sadly no.

Hopefully we should soon be rid of them because the football teams are now complaining about the dog on the pitches!

Comment

• In that case, hopefully your flight deck is fod free soon :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Daryl View Post
              In that case, hopefully your flight deck is fod free soon :)
              Wont be the end of crap landings !

Comment

• We've been getting a lot of rain the past day or two up here in northwestern Wyoming. Not that I am complaining! We value every drop of moisture we can get in this deserty environment. But this evening, the rain relented, and the sun "almost" broke out a little amongst the low and dark clouds. I took the opportunity to take my T-33 and F-4 out for a couple of flights before it got dark. A little wet on the runway, a very slight crosswind, but just beautiful weather to have a dusk flight or two. At this field, it is usually empty, and totally quiet. A very relaxing time flying these Click image for larger version  Name:	evening Phanotm flight.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.2 KB ID:	322531Click image for larger version  Name:	2nd evening Phantom photo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	322532 two planes, and they flew as well as they ever have for me. Rock solid with smooth as silk air. I'm really getting the hang of the F-4 now, and the simulated afterburners in these sky conditions were really cool. Made one of my better landings, fairly nice rollout, and applying the brakes to a stop. Still gotta work on that a bit, but things came out ok tonight.

Comment

• It looks so good Dave! It sounds like a great evening! And Wyoming weather doesn't disappoint, it always seems to provide a reminder that change is the only constant.

Comment

• "and the sun "almost" broke out a little amongst the low and dark clouds." That's a nice summer day in Scotland Dave !

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                      It looks so good Dave! It sounds like a great evening! And Wyoming weather doesn't disappoint, it always seems to provide a reminder that change is the only constant.
                      At least for a short period last evening, everything lined up, including the weather, and it was a very beautiful, peaceful moment. I don't savor times like this enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
                        "and the sun "almost" broke out a little amongst the low and dark clouds." That's a nice summer day in Scotland Dave !
                        You know, locharrow, the weather and low clouds and the sun peeking through around sunset and the hills is exactly how it felt sometimes on some vacations in Scotland. I remember once we drove to spend the night in Drumnadrochit, before taking a boat tour on Loch Ness to try to find "Nessie" the next day. It was beautiful, just like last night. If only I had had my rc airplanes to fly, too! (LOL)

Comment

• Got out today along with about 40 other guys at our field, all of them flying large scale and turbine. First decent weather in a long time and of course it had to be on the weekend. Was only able to sneak about 4 flights in on my F-4 since the pattern was usually full! Fernando, of RC Chaser videos snuck my "little" F-4 in on his video anyway. He was hoping I was taking the Mig or the F-18 Tiger out but we had a stiff crosswind and way too many large turbines to contend with so some other time. The F-4 flight is around 4:20 on the video. Not one of my better landings as I was rushing to get out of the way with 4 others in the air and 3 guys who ignored my call for landing and started to get out on the runway, but she still lives to fly another day. I really like this F-4 with the 12 blade inrunner and an SMC 6200 40 C, gives me over 4:00 of flight time.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                            Got out today along with about 40 other guys at our field, all of them flying large scale and turbine. First decent weather in a long time and of course it had to be on the weekend. Was only able to sneak about 4 flights in on my F-4 since the pattern was usually full! Fernando, of RC Chaser videos snuck my "little" F-4 in on his video anyway. He was hoping I was taking the Mig or the F-18 Tiger out but we had a stiff crosswind and way too many large turbines to contend with so some other time. The F-4 flight is around 4:20 on the video. Not one of my better landings as I was rushing to get out of the way with 4 others in the air and 3 guys who ignored my call for landing and started to get out on the runway, but she still lives to fly another day. I really like this F-4 with the 12 blade inrunner and an SMC 6200 40 C, gives me over 4:00 of flight time.
                            Oh that poor F-18, what's up with that ugly yellow/ grey F-16? Not my cup of tea for a paint scheme.

Comment

• Not as many people here, but we have smokey Montana skies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQiFGKiPYc&t=188s

Comment

• Cool

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Oh that poor F-18, what's up with that ugly yellow/ grey F-16? Not my cup of tea for a paint scheme.
                                  Believe it or not, the Black Aces Super Hornet sustained very little damage and was flown again shortly thereafter, this time without the turbine flame out but missing a few parts from the undercarriage. And the F-16 scheme, definitely ugly, but the pilot is a regular at Top Gun and flies it so well it's maddening! Give me a couple weeks and some spray cans to make it look respectable!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Today....not a cloud in the sky...no dogs ...no footballers. I'm so used to overcast skies or dusk flights that for half the flight I had only a sillyet...siluette...sliuete ..a dark shape in the sky and searching my memory for what my previous move was!! Pretty scary at times but made it back for a veeerry smooth touchdown.

Comment

• What is the recommended blade count for the 8s setup? I started with the 6s 9-blade inrunner setup, but converted to the 8s 12-blade inrunner. Was wondering if changing the 12 to the 9 and keeping it 8s. Still sluggish on grass field take off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rlcamden View Post
                                        What is the recommended blade count for the 8s setup? I started with the 6s 9-blade inrunner setup, but converted to the 8s 12-blade inrunner. Was wondering if changing the 12 to the 9 and keeping it 8s. Still sluggish on grass field take off.
                                        Fly off grass all the time .........Freewing 6s 1835kv 12 blade motor......not sluggish in the least. The F4 leaves the trap like a greyhound and is up in 30 yards. Might not break speed records in the air but does what it does with panache..........

Comment

• Originally posted by rlcamden View Post
                                          What is the recommended blade count for the 8s setup? I started with the 6s 9-blade inrunner setup, but converted to the 8s 12-blade inrunner. Was wondering if changing the 12 to the 9 and keeping it 8s. Still sluggish on grass field take off.
                                          I'm with locharrow , using the 6S 1835 Kv 12 blade, get's off in less than 100'. I believe the 12 blade has more 0-60 punch than the 9 blade, may not be as fast at top end (who knows though), but flying off of grass it's my personal "pilots choice" in fans. Have it in both my F-4's, the F-16 and both of my F-18 Hornets, all flying on an SMC 6200 mah 40C, although the F-16 also flies on the SMC 8100 mah giving over 5 minutes of flight time with no degradation in take-off distance or performance, IMO! Not the easiest fan on the wallet though, and at that price the least it should do is take you to dinner once in a while!

Have a friend at our field with the 8S 12 blade version and we both get off the grass in the same distance, although his is a bit faster (not a priority for me, take-off and unlimited vertical is all I need), and for some reason he just can't get over 3 minutes of flight time, while I'm at 4 minutes. Of course that all depends on the batteries and whether you're always at "firewall" throttle like he is!

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X