Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m about to pull the trigger on this plane. Has anyone swapped in a 4s fan? I’ve got an Xfly 4s 64mm and a 40 amp esc sitting on the shelf that I could put in it. I’m sure the weight would be increased and flight times decreased, but I bet it would be a rocket.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewF View Post
      I’m about to pull the trigger on this plane. Has anyone swapped in a 4s fan? I’ve got an Xfly 4s 64mm and a 40 amp esc sitting on the shelf that I could put in it. I’m sure the weight would be increased and flight times decreased, but I bet it would be a rocket.
      I found this little jet to already be a rocket but I guess some like it even hotter. No, I haven't done the swap, but with the X-Fly 4s fan, you'll double your thrust but it'll draw 50A to do it. It's also 5mm longer and 1.5mm smaller diameter. It may or may not fit without some sealing and/or foam removal.
      A 2200mah, 3s battery fit just about right. A 4s battery may limit you to less mah.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        I found this little jet to already be a rocket but I guess some like it even hotter. No, I haven't done the swap, but with the X-Fly 4s fan, you'll double your thrust but it'll draw 50A to do it. It's also 5mm longer and 1.5mm smaller diameter. It may or may not fit without some sealing and/or foam removal.
        A 2200mah, 3s battery fit just about right. A 4s battery may limit you to less mah.
        I might have to do it just out of curiosity to see what will happen lol for science right?
        move got some 1800 mah 4s packs that I think I will use.

Comment

I might have to do it just out of curiosity to see what will happen lol for science right?
          move got some 1800 mah 4s packs that I think I will use.
          If I still had mine, I'd do it just for the giggles and to get a change of shorts. I was in science for 20 years. It's sometimes over-rated. Yes, I have 1800, 4s LiPos that weigh about the same as my 2200, 3s (and same dimension, too).

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            If I still had mine, I'd do it just for the giggles and to get a change of shorts. I was in science for 20 years. It's sometimes over-rated. Yes, I have 1800, 4s LiPos that weigh about the same as my 2200, 3s (and same dimension, too).
            My thoughts exactly. I’ll be sure to post some pictures/videos once I get it done.

Comment

• Has anyone run on li-ion either 3s1p or 4s1p? Will it fit without carving ,typical dimension of 4s1p is 38x38x70mm or 36x36x70 for 3s1p.

Comment

• Got the Xfly 4s fan fitted. It just took some carving around the inlet ring. I will hopefully maiden it today, fingers crossed.

Is there anyone here who flies with the landing gear? I’m not a fan of hand launching, but I’m worried the landing gear will hurt performance.
                Attached Files

Comment

Got the Xfly 4s fan fitted.
                  Still with the stock ESC?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake Bullit View Post
                    Still with the stock ESC?
                    No, I swapped in an E Flite 40 amp

Comment

Got the Xfly 4s fan fitted. It just took some carving around the inlet ring. I will hopefully maiden it today, fingers crossed.

Is there anyone here who flies with the landing gear? I’m not a fan of hand launching, but I’m worried the landing gear will hurt performance.
                      Hand launch is easy peasy. Here's mine, all stock except cheaters are blocked off.

Comment

• Originally posted by davecee View Post

Hand launch is easy peasy. Here's mine, all stock except cheaters are blocked off.
                        That was smooth. I’ll have to give that a go. I was just reading about blocking off the cheater holes, I’m glad I did. From what I see it helps a lot.

Comment

• Alpha - what is the best go-faster option for the Lippisch ? I have found a 3S 3900 kV 11 blade fan with a claimed 1180 gms of thrust. 4S is an option, but battery space and weight must be a consideration for this model. Any suggestions ?

Comment

• Or you could go with 4s stock power. Modify the bottom canopy and angle the battery upwards at the rear of the pack.

Comment

• Maidened the xfly P.15 today. First flight was fairly smooth once it got trimmed. It’s an absolute rocket with the new fan, I did one high speed pass where I went full throttle for maybe 2 seconds and it hit 105 mph, straight and level. Sadly on the second launch it got a little Wild, breaking the nose off. I was flying with a 1800 mah 4s pack with a timer set for 3:00, it came down with 50% left. Most of the flight was done with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

I should add, all up weight was 560 grams, I did a static thrust test and it produced 895 grams.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• AndrewF Condolences on the nose but it looks fixable! You're using the 4s 3200kv rated Xfly fan unit?

I did follow some others and programmed a touch of up elevon on a switch for easier hand launching.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                                  AndrewF Condolences on the nose but it looks fixable! You're using the 4s 3200kv rated Xfly fan unit?

I did follow some others and programmed a touch of up elevon on a switch for easier hand launching.
                                  yeah, the 3200kv. I already got the nose back together, a little foam tac goes a long way. I had someone else throw it, but they threw it almost straight up so it kind of turned into an uncontrolled rocket lol
                                  Where do you run your CG?

Comment

• Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few days, so I can't give you a measurement. But it's the intersection of the wing joint and the panel lines, which I think is the manual's CG if I'm remembering correctly. I balance upside down. And I do use the 4s 2200 as I stated, kind of wedged with the rear of the battery up off the ply plate and velcro at the front. I trimmed the canopy to both fit the battery and hold the front edge. It definitely ugly's up the canopy but is functional. It's so fast and small I don't notice. I'm sure I'll eventually get another lippisch and do a better job somehow to fit the 2200 and not cut the canopy. Man I wish they'd make a bigger version too! So fun!

Comment

Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few days, so I can't give you a measurement. But it's the intersection of the wing joint and the panel lines, which I think is the manual's CG if I'm remembering correctly. I balance upside down. And I do use the 4s 2200 as I stated, kind of wedged with the rear of the battery up off the ply plate and velcro at the front. I trimmed the canopy to both fit the battery and hold the front edge. It definitely ugly's up the canopy but is functional. It's so fast and small I don't notice. I'm sure I'll eventually get another lippisch and do a better job somehow to fit the 2200 and not cut the canopy. Man I wish they'd make a bigger version too! So fun!
                                      I have some 2200 4s packs that fit without cutting the canopy. I ended up cutting mine anyway to fit my
                                      gps speedometer.

Comment

• Did you have to add weight rearward to balance it?

Comment

Did you have to add weight rearward to balance it?
                                          No, the new fan is heavier than the stock one. With the 2200 all the way back in the compartment, it was right at the suggested CG

Comment

Working...
                                          X