Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching in recovery mode did NOT work out well. No damage though. Launches OK with just some up elevon trim as others have said. The yellow helps with orientation very nicely. Great flying little plane. The stock power system and 3S 1300 mah pack provide me with all the speed and duration I can handle with this tiny airframe.

Comment

• Originally posted by davecee View Post
      Launching in recovery mode did NOT work out well. No damage though. Launches OK with just some up elevon trim as others have said. The yellow helps with orientation very nicely. Great flying little plane. The stock power system and 3S 1300 mah pack provide me with all the speed and duration I can handle with this tiny airframe.
      Are you using some sort of stabilizer? I use the HobbyEagle line of stabs and those with "recover" mode have never worked out for me. Even after calibrating it for level, the plane goes nuts (plane heads for dirt) when I throw the switch for recovery (or "auto-balance). I no longer use that mode at all.
      I'm using a HobbyEagle stab in my Lippy with only the rotary to set gain on the fly (no modes capable). I also have a little "reflex" on the gear switch for the launch. Rock solid flyer.

Comment

• I'm using an Admiral 6 channel stabilizing receiver. I've seen hand launches of an Opterra with AS3X in SAFE mode with the pilot actually not holding the transmitter. He launches, the Opterra flies straight out in a slight climb, he then picks up the transmitter and switches out of SAFE mode. I was hoping I could launch the P-15 in recovery mode and that would hold the plane in the proper attitude until I got my right hand on the A/E stick. Recovery mode apparently cuts down the control throw however and I wasn't able to add enough up elevon after launch to overcome the diving tendency of the plane so I got a couple of unintended landings with no damage. I had a helper do the launch and I had my hand on the stick, but still couldn't pull out of the launch dive. Subsequent launches using just stabilization went just fine when thrown by my helper or by me so I'm not going to play around with it anymore. I agree, rock solid flyer.

Oops, can't get rid of the duplicate video.
        Last edited by davecee; Sep 3, 2018, 12:44 PM. Reason: Show launch

Comment

• I have the Opterra, too. In the beginning, it would launch in "launch" mode no problem but then, as time went by, it stopped working. In that time, I did nothing to the Rx or the plane. I thought mine was odd and unique but many other people have reported a similar occurrence. I've since replaced the AR636 with a Lemon Rx and put in some reflex on the gear switch for the launch. It flies even better now without a stabilizer.
          The "launch" mode on the Opterra isn't quite the same as the "recovery" mode on the Admiral or HobbyEagle type of stabilizers. I think the algorithms used are different. The Opterra's Rx sets level when initialized on the bench every time the plane is powered up. I don't know how the Admiral sets level. My HobbyEagle's recovery mode had to be calibrated once via the internal menu when the plane was level on the bench. Like I said, I could never get recovery mode to work.

Comment

• AFAIK the Admiral sets level upon each power up. I actually powered up with the plane in a bit of a nose up attitude as that's what would be needed at launch. I had no plans to use recovery mode other than at launch, but realize it's not even needed then. I have an Opterra with a regular Spektrum receiver. I was hoping to fly it like a powered sailplane, but it doesn't seem to thermal very well.

Comment

• No, the Opterra doesn't float like a sailplane. Once you shut power off, it comes down quite steadily. I fly a sailplane for at least 2 flights every time I go to the field. A sailplane, an Opterra isn't.

Comment

• Well, I got it cheap and I'll sell it at a local swap shop this winter. I didn't expect it to be a floater but it's much draggier than I expected and faster soaring flight isn't it's forte either. I kind of expected it soar about as well as my Solius, but noooooo. :(

Comment

• Well, no doubt in my mind that the cheater holes are responsible for the dive on launch. My first flights had to be launched at about a 45 degree up angle. The plane would then dive until speed built up. The plane would also show significant changes in flight with throttle up (dive) or throttle down (balloon). Today I just taped over the cheater holes and launched sidearm, just like I do my other flying wings. I'm including a very short clip of a launch. You can see the plane does not dive at all after leaving my hand. Trim settings are the same as my previous cheater open launches. The inflight diving and ballooning with throttle changes is also gone. I intend to permanently close the cheater holes.

Comment

• Here it is finally ready to go. Will try on the short grass of our field. I hope the makers of this plane will come up with a larger one with either an 80 0r 90 mm fan. If this one was a good seller, then a larger one will no doubt sell well. I feel there is a large interest in the German designs which were never produced like this one.

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk and good luck on your flight, CreativeRC!

I hope others would echo your sentiments.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Im sure an 80mm could be done at a very reasonable price point as well

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                          Im sure an 80mm could be done at a very reasonable price point as well
                          I have trouble enough as it is trying to keep up with this thing. With an 80mm, you may as well put blindfolds on me. :Silly:

Comment

• Orange upper and black belly helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180922_181121.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	152871Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180922_181051.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	152872

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180922_181105.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	152873
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              I have trouble enough as it is trying to keep up with this thing. With an 80mm, you may as well put blindfolds on me. :Silly:
                              Yes indeed my friend, but now is the time... the time to put a round into a banged up 6s battery pack. Video on the way soon :)

Comment

• Bang bang shes alittle hot, and stinks lol. But no boom. So just went ahead and finished it off

Comment

• Had some fun down at Nall in the Fall with my 2 Lippy's! I wanted to make a twin Lippisch and when I mentioned it to George he loved the idea and we got to work one night. Love having fun like this with RC!

Comment

• Wait until I get the "Triple Lip" done ;)
                                    TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Add differential thrust! :)

Comment

• Twin Lippisch "Lips"

TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thats such a cool setup

Comment

Working...