X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tclaridge View Post
    TiredIronGRB, wow that is a lot of reduced throw on the controls. That is good to know. Have you flown with a larger 2200mah battery?
    No, I'm getting a solid 5 minutes on the 1800 and that's blasting it pretty good...I think I can get 7 minutes or more slow FPV flying with it. I'm going to get another one for FPV and put a Runcam Split system in the cockpit area and can the canopy, I may run a 2200 in it.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Looks like I should have done my homework a little more thoroughly before suggesting using a 12 blade fan in this little bird. It requires a battery too big and heavy to be practical for anything other than quick up and down, missile-like flights if it would fit at all. I'd much rather go the other way with longer wings to make it a more practical flatland soaring bird for less hectic flying. You can google "ME163 over Barcelona" to see what one Spanish modeler made a scrat5ch-built 163 into.

Comment

• Had to repaint the cockpit to a color closer to scale... Used Model Master RLM66 Schwarzgrau. Also did a recess in the foam with the dremel for a "cockpit" and added a German Stuka gunner from The Ultimate Soldier toys. 1/18th scale. Touched up the frame with RLM 83 Dark Green from Hataka Paints. I am installing the A3-L gyro with a Spektrum 610 receiver. Should fly great!!!!

Comment

• Nice job! I like the grin on that pilot. Seems appropriate!
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Thank you Marc!! I thought it looked the "part" for a war crazed Nazi pocket rocket jock!!! :)

Comment

• Ya, this cockpit is begging for some details. I just got mine!! The paint job is fabulous. Well built. Nicely packed easy assembly. They even covered the fin pocket with tape to be removed before gluing! Nice touch. Can't wait to fly this one. Then I will return to the cockpit.

Comment

• Maiden..for testing i set three rates on my flight mode. 50% aileron-75%Ele, 75% ail-85%Ele,100%ail-100%Ele. Mid rate was low throws recommended in manual. High rate was high throws recommended. No gyro (yet),CHL 1800 30c , 2 mm up Elevator,Cg per manual. Wind 5-10 mph. Mid rates. Tossed at about 45 degree angle,full throttle.....left my hand and immediately flattend out and started to decend , with pucker factor at 110% got to the stick and leveled her out. Down trim a couple clicks (ended up 1mm). What a fun little jet. Flew mostly on my mid-rates for first batt. Lands easily but very easy to overshoot. Ended up setting high rate Elevator for all three. High rate rolls are almost too fast to follow. This thing is a riot to fly. I love my 105 and F8 for the scale appeal but this thing is just flat a** fun to fly. Winds were variable in speed and direction for my flight. I was suprised how stabil it was. Will be adding a stabilizer for launch purposes soon.
                Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

• After several more flights today I took the throttle/elevator mix down to 10% and now it's about perfect...it also really helps on launch.
                  TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Good stuff gents. Thanks for the pilot report and mix sharing!

Comment

• Looks like I should have done my homework a little more thoroughly before suggesting using a 12 blade fan in this little bird as it requires a battery too big and heavy to be practical for anything other than quick up and down, missile-like flights if it would fit at all. I'd much rather go the other way with longer wings to make it a more practical flatland soaring bird for less hectic flying. This scratch-built Me-163 a Spanish modeler-built is what I have in mind.
                      ME 163 GLIDER RC CONTROL FLYING OVER BARCELONA AT COLLSEROLA SLOPES.CARMELO GONZALEZ, FAMOUS GLIDER'S BUILDER, FLYING HIS RC MODEL.

Comment

• CFIT rob, you had your elevons at 1mm up on the TE, but did you also use a throttle --> Elevator mix? If so, what did you use?

TiredIronGB for your mix at 10%, did you also use a 1mm up elevator trim?

Comment

• Finished the wiring of the A3-L gyro and the Spektrum 610 receiver. I had to plug the gyro capacitor into channel 5 on the receiver due to gyro clearances. Put the 610 receiver as far back in the fuselage as possible. Attached with Velcro to the fuse bottom. Ran the wiring up and behind a 1/16th inch plywood gyro mount, laminated to 3mm Depron foam. You have to mount the gyro to foam, not wood, or the 3M double-sided tape will fail to hold the gyro. (BAD). I made sure to have a bind plug extension as well as a rudder extension routed to the front of the fuselage since I can't reach the receiver.... For binding and for a possible nose wheel in the future.... Very fiddly, but it works great so far!! I have done the same setup in the F-105 and F-8, using a 1600 MAH Admiral battery. Hope the maiden goes well....
                          Attached Files

Comment

• So for fun... I decided to take Hardway's lead and painted the inside of the cockpit dark grey.
                            But first I cut out the cockpit floor and installed a balsa bottom, just to make it a little deeper overall.
                            I had this old crappy figure that seemed like the right size. I repainted his duds (left the yellow scarf).
                            Then I printed out a tiny F104 cockpit instrument panel and glued that in.
                            Ta daaaa!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180316_183942.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	123392
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20180316_184023.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	123393
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20180316_191645.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	123394
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20180316_191700.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	123395
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20180316_192209.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	123396
                            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Has to have a pilot!! Very cool!! I should have done the instrument panel, but the color printer had too much junk on top of it !!! LOL Good job...

Comment

• Mine came in today!!! Already have her built but I am thinking of using a 1300 3s 45c battery for the first flight. what size is everybody using?
                                58mm comes to the point on the wing root that I marked for CG.
                                Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

• I wasn't able to fly it today (hopefully tomorrow), but I was able to get my unboxing done and posted for it. Boy it is a beauty!

Comment

• Hangar day at TIA. George teaching me how to toss it "like I'm mad at it". :) I must not have been mad enough on my first launch :Scared: but the second worked out fine. What a rush! This little thing is a hoot to fly. Thanks for the lesson.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1521374158153.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	123720

Name:	FB_IMG_1521374165689.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	123721

Name:	FB_IMG_1521374178092.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	123722

Comment

• Hey guys, I flew mine a couple of times this morning for the first time. I had a helper launch it for me and I told him to launch it strongly with an up angle. I did experience the same thing others have described during the launch... you definitely need a lot of "up" because it does have a tendency to dive for the ground. It just doesn't have the airspeed it needs to fly at first, and this is pretty typical for an EDF. A few seconds in, of course you pick up some speed quickly and its not hard to recover. First time I didn't have enough and I "Landed it"... hey I meant to do that! Then on the second launch I used a lot more "up" and it did dip some, but recovered and off I went.

First flight was with a light 1500mah battery. Second flight was with a 2200. I have to say I really think the 2200 was a LOT better. It didn't feel heavy in the air, but the extra weight made it a bit more stable. I had a much longer flight which was nice, and it just seemed to fly better with the bigger battery. I was flying in a light breeze (5-8mph) and it was buffeted around some, but not bad. It balanced with the 2200 right in the middle of the Velcro strap. (The 1500 was all the way forward)

I balanced it right at 58mm just like Bearcat showed a few posts back. That seemed to be just right.

After I got the controls adjusted to my liking I didn't have any problem at all. (First flight the rates were set quite low). At full throttle the P15 rips it up pretty good but I don't think is that much faster than my Durafly ME163, I could be wrong. (I think that the ME163 is definitely more stable - that may be because the ME163 is heavier.) I am flying with about 80% set on the dual-rate function for aileron and elevator. It makes a cool wooosh sound. Very exciting little jet!

I'll tell you one thing, I think its important not to fly the P15 too far away from home base! Its so small that it gets tiny in a big hurry. I found it much more comfortable when I kept it a little closer in.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                        Hangar day at TIA. George teaching me how to toss it "like I'm mad at it". :) I must not have been mad enough on my first launch :Scared: but the second worked out fine. What a rush! This little thing is a hoot to fly. Thanks for the lesson.
                                        Ahhhhhhh............the infamous TIA Flight Dance Choreography School ;)
                                        Next we'll see you two holding hands and skipping down the runway:Silly:LOL
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Flew mine today - three flights - using a 3S 2200 - landed around 5 minute mark on each flight - probably could have gone longer... felt fine with the weight of the 2200 - will try it with some 1800's as well. Overall - flies great - with expo and throws setup as recommended, it's a great flying plane for the price. Love it.. highly recommend it!

Comment

Working...
                                          X