Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, if you try upping any of the 64mm 5 blade fans to a 4S, I recommend that you also upgrade to a a 12 blade fan. If you don't you risk have the fan disintegrate at WOT. I learned this lesson several months ago, but forgot and learned the lesson again on the P-15. I also recommend never holding the plane around the fan area itself when running WOT on any of these 64mm birds.

Comment

• I wonder if a little launch dolly to eliminate a hand toss would be worth it? I launch one of my gliders that way, and it is easy.

Comment

• Since I’ve broken a fan blade and these fans are currently out of stock, last night, I ordered the 12-blade fan assembly from the Freewing 64mm A-10 and a 65A ZTW ESC. I’m not sure yet if I’ll run the 12-blade fan on 3S or 4S. The 3S setup is plenty fast enough for me.
        ---
        Warbirder

Comment

• I dropped a 64mm 12-blade 4S 3300kV fan from the A-10 in mine and it flew well except that the bearings were going bad in the motor. It was from a lost plane that spent about 6 months in the elements before being found. I have since replaced it with a 3500kV motor and will test it out this weekend. Should rock!

Comment

• Originally posted by WildBillG View Post
            I got my two P-15s last week and got my first flight on a standard 3S 1500 yesterday, and was very happy with her handling. I upgraded the 2nd P-15 with a 40 amp ESC and a 12 blade 64mm motor out of an FMS F-18. I flew her today on a 4S 2200 and WOW, this thing was a complete rocketship with unlimited climb capability. She looked like an ME-163 Komet on launch. Was flying in a 10 mph wind with the 4S 2200 and I thought she handled the wind much better with the added weight of the 12 blade fan and 4S battery. Glides seemed just as long as the 3S and she could cruise all day at 1/4 throttle. Landings were just as easy as with the 3S, although the landing speed was a little higher but once this thing gets into ground effect she will just settle right in. Just love this plane and in my opinion it is the best flyer in the 64mm series.
            Hey I used a 1300 3s 45c battery - bought a 1500 3s Graphene battery to try when it comes in later this week. 1300 on a calm day is awesome but with some wind it will get batted around unless you are flying BTTW. :-)
            Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	125735Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	728
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	125736Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	125737

Comment

• Sorry, but every time I try and post pics and text in the same post, I wind up wasting my time, but in seperate posts it works fine.

For you guys concerned about hand launching your P-15s, here is an idea. On all my 64mms I use a small easy to use bungee launcher. You'll need the following: 1 30 foot section of 1/4 to 3/8 inch surgical tubing (Amazon easiest and cheapest place to pick up) a large landscaping nail, 50 foot of quality kite string, and 3 rings (key chain type). Take the tubing and tie one end to one ring, then tie the other end to another ring, then tie the kite string to that same ring. then tie the last ring to the other end of the string. Take your landscape nail and drive it in the ground at an angle in the direction you will be launching into. Then put the ring on the end of the tubing over the nail.

Now on your plane you will need to put a hook a few inches in front of the CG. i use a small picture hanger that is screwed onto a lightweight piece of ply, which is then screwed into the foam, with a good coating of epoxy under the ply when you screw it on. be sure and sand the paint off below the foam before epoxying. See pics.

When I built my two P-15s, I built the first one which uses a 3S 1500 mah battery with the launch hook and the second one which is using a 40 amp ESC, a 12 blade FMS motor and a 4S battery, without the launch hook. the first flight with the 3S I used the launcher, but found I didnt need it. The 4S is so powerful, i could launch it underhand no problem. With my bad shoulder I absolutely use the launch hooks every time after lawn darting my bigger planes such as the FMS F-15, F-18, F-35 etc, one to many times.

To launch, just hook the ring to your plane. Walk back until you feel you have enough pull on the tubing to do the job (this takes some practice and usually less pull than you think it will), then holding the plane in your left hand, use your right to push the throttle forward and then place your hand on the right stick to control aileron in case she wants to roll, pull full back on the elevator and release.

Another nice thing about the launch hooks are that they make it super easy to store your planes right on the wall.

Comment

• I'd like to see a photo of your bungee launcher, if you don't mind.
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• Here are a few pictures of it. I keep it outside full time in my flying field here at the house, which forces me to replace it two or theee times a year due to UV damage, but it’s worth it to me to be able to walk out of the shop and fly in a minutes notice.

Comment

• As long as no one laughs I'll tell my story....oh what the heck its okay to laugh. My flight was going great had been doing the left turn only just to feel out the plane. I'm new to EDF, brand new. Fast little bugger but fun to fly. Well I went wide to set up for landing. When I did I was a bit low and it rolled. Rolled quick....hit some brush/trees next to a lake. Well guess what. That thing makes a great jet boat too. Landed up right in the lake. I did not taxi it to shore, my daughter swam out to it and brought it back. After some drying and reassembly she is working fine again (daughter and plane). It floated perfectly upright and didn't leak or sink. Motor, ESC and receiver were all high and dry. Crazy. I'm going to keep flying it till she cant fly anymore...then buy another...

Comment

• That is a good story. I've got half a mind to see if she will take off from water now. Thanks for sharing.

I was screwing around with my 3S P-15 last evening and don't know what happened, but she dove straight in at 50-60 foot and she was moving fast when it happened. She is tough as nails I'll give her that as well. It only broke into two pieces and I hot glued it back to life in 15 minutes. Nice thing though was that the canopy popped off the battery hatch, so i decided to install my camera module under the canopy with an opening in the front for installation. It balances easily for this since on both of mine since the battery is in the middle of the compartment. Now i can put the camera in both the 3S and 4S P-15s to get some comparison video.

Comment

• I have the Freewing Lippisch P.15 and a Spectrum DX 6e. How do you configure the transmitter to work the aileron and elevator? I have trued every setting. Elevons, etc. Nothing seems to work. All combinations behave as ailerons.

Jeff Armbruster

Comment

• Originally posted by jarmbruster View Post
                            I have the Freewing Lippisch P.15 and a Spectrum DX 6e. How do you configure the transmitter to work the aileron and elevator? I have trued every setting. Elevons, etc. Nothing seems to work. All combinations behave as ailerons.

Jeff Armbruster
                            From the manual

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	545
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	126249
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by jarmbruster View Post
                              I have the Freewing Lippisch P.15 and a Spectrum DX 6e. How do you configure the transmitter to work the aileron and elevator? I have trued every setting. Elevons, etc. Nothing seems to work. All combinations behave as ailerons.

Jeff Armbruster
                              You must have them "Y'd" together.

Comment

• Sad day for my Lippy. Was flying sweet on a 4S, 3500kV, 12-bld fan. I cut power after a vertical climb and was gliding straight down, leveled out and was setting up to land when all of a sudden I had no control. Went straight in with a slight spin. Not much left. Will likely get another. Talk about a blast to fly

Comment

• :(

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                    Sad day for my Lippy. Was flying sweet on a 4S, 3500kV, 12-bld fan. I cut power after a vertical climb and was gliding straight down, leveled out and was setting up to land when all of a sudden I had no control. Went straight in with a slight spin. Not much left. Will likely get another. Talk about a blast to fly
                                    What receiver and ESC were you using?

Comment

Sad day for my Lippy. Was flying sweet on a 4S, 3500kV, 12-bld fan. I cut power after a vertical climb and was gliding straight down, leveled out and was setting up to land when all of a sudden I had no control. Went straight in with a slight spin. Not much left. Will likely get another. Talk about a blast to fly
                                      What’s the possibility that it stalled due to higher wing loading and power off leveling maybe? Curious as to how much heavier your 4S system is, it is a tiny bird.

Comment

• Running an Admiral 6channel stability receiver and Hobbywing 40 Amp ESC. The ESC might have been a little marginal. I still have to investigate it to see what works and if anything doesn't. The plane balances fine and is a rocket ship on 4S. Is is an absolute rush to fly.

Comment

Running an Admiral 6channel stability receiver and Hobbywing 40 Amp ESC. The ESC might have been a little marginal. I still have to investigate it to see what works and if anything doesn't. The plane balances fine and is a rocket ship on 4S. Is is an absolute rush to fly.
                                          Both quality products. FWIW Motion mentions a 52 amp draw and there are reviews on the website that claim the system pulls over 60 amps on a good 4s battery

Comment

Working...
                                          X