Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I am awaiting the delivery of my B-25 and have been looking ahead at jets. I have a Bae Hawk and I like flying the plane. But am wanting an American jet so I have been looking at the F-15 and the A-10. My only concern is I would rank myself as an intermediate skilled pilot and the A-10 lists advanced skills. Would the F-15 prove to be too much of a challenge if I am able to handle the Bae Hawk? How about the A-10?

Comment

• Originally posted by desertdrifter7 View Post
      Hey guys, I am awaiting the delivery of my B-25 and have been looking ahead at jets. I have a Bae Hawk and I like flying the plane. But am wanting an American jet so I have been looking at the F-15 and the A-10. My only concern is I would rank myself as an intermediate skilled pilot and the A-10 lists advanced skills. Would the F-15 prove to be too much of a challenge if I am able to handle the Bae Hawk? How about the A-10?
      DD, the A-10 is a kitten in the air. Short takeoff roll on pavement, however, the challenge is keeping her flying through touchdown.

My first check flight, she was a buckin' and flyin' and buckin' and stallin' and buckin' ad nauseam.

Results: Badly scraped wing tip, nose gear retract, axle pin, and front wheel replacement.

All since repaired, but lesson learned.

Point is power on landing which is actually easier anyway for me.

The A-10 was my first aircraft after returning to RC after a 25+ years away.

IMHO, Go for it.

Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	0001b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	384770
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LB. Thank you so much for your input.

Comment

Hey guys, I am awaiting the delivery of my B-25 and have been looking ahead at jets. I have a Bae Hawk and I like flying the plane. But am wanting an American jet so I have been looking at the F-15 and the A-10. My only concern is I would rank myself as an intermediate skilled pilot and the A-10 lists advanced skills. Would the F-15 prove to be too much of a challenge if I am able to handle the Bae Hawk? How about the A-10?
          I own both the F-15 is a dog and underpowered. The A-10 is awesome from a to Z.

Mike Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	384635
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Go for the A-10, it is the best EDF you will fly in my opinion, flies slow, fast and very well inverted, sounds awesome and looks great in the air, just pay attention when you land it, nice flare on the mains at just the right speed will make you smile, mess that up and you won't be smiling, the F-15 is a great flyer too, lands heavy but very easy to land, nice approach with full flaps and speed brake out looks great, not the fastest jet by no means but looks great in the air and will do wheelies on take off and landing if you get the CG and speed just right, but it is kind of small compared to the A-10 and other jets....

Comment

• Like others are saying, if you can get smooth landings with the BAE Hawk by using power/throttle to manage the glide slope, you'll be doing the same with the A10. Change to either the trailing link on the nose gear or change the mains to match the factory nose gear. You want the same gear type on all 3.

That being said, and I haven't flown the Freewing F15 but have other F15s, they are pretty straightforward to land as well.

Comment

• Thank you, excellent input to consider. The one thing I have seen on the A-10 is the nose gear needs to be changed to avoid "bronco" landings. They don't sound pleasant.

Comment

Thank you, excellent input to consider. The one thing I have seen on the A-10 is the nose gear needs to be changed to avoid "bronco" landings. They don't sound pleasant.
                  If you can avoid landing the nose first and settle it down on the mains, no need to change the nose gear out. Move your CG aft a little to help with the flare and you will be good to go. A tip I'll share I use when landing EDFs. If your controller has a timer start beep when you advance beyond 25%, use that as your landing throttle setting. On final, cut throttle than advance it until you hear the beep. Hold there until you settle it on the ground.

Comment

• Go for the A-10 it is such a good flyer! Handling and reloading 2 Batteries can be a bit challenging, but it fully pays off. The A-10 is by far the plane I fly the most because it is that good and it looks so good in the air.
                    Br, spcboarder

Comment

• I really loved my F-15 years back. Like many of those first gen 90mm's, they are overall good flyers but they need to go on a diet. I only wish the A-10 took just one 6S. Outside of that, it's the best EDF jet I've ever flown.

Click image for larger version  Name:	done1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.8 KB ID:	384766
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I did some testing today with my F-15. I switch between the 9bl 1900kv and the 12bl 1960kv both using 6000 HRB and 130A esc.
                        both test were done the same. Take off climb to about 50’, do one full circuit at 60% throttle, after finishing base the second time I punch it flat level. I hold that old til I make my turn to down wind. Then back off to 60%.
                        that recorded top level speed.
                        next pass as I’m half way down the strait still 50’ I again punch it and this time after about 100’ flat level I pull ba k and go vertical until she drops off.
                        After this I flew a cool down lap of 50% and land.

GPS reading:
                        9bl 1900kv, 88 mph recorded high speed and hit 322’

12bl 1960kv, 92 mph recorded high speed and hit 428’.

Next time out I’ll do same test using 5000 HRB,

Gravy

Comment

• Evening gentlemen (and ladies if there are any),

Just a quick post to report back that my maiden flight with the F-15C went very, very well.

I got it ARF+ and put the F-4 Phantom 8S power plant in it, which for reference is a 12 Blade EDF with a 4075-1390Kv Inrunner Motor and 150A ESC. Flown on 2x HRB 4S 4200.

I thought it might be a bit of a handful, but she flew perfectly, absolutely viceless and looked great in the air.

As reported, she lands quicker than other models, but that being said I didn't especially struggle with it and the landing gear is great.

If, like me you're looking for something a little different to try, I can thoroughly recommend her

I was on my own at the time, so here are a few ground shots of her:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230910_082455180_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.7 KB ID:	386505

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230910_082514956_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.0 KB ID:	386506

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230910_082541640_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	386507

Comment

• The F-15 is probably my favorite old gen Freewing 90mm. Just a delight to fly, even though heavier than some of the newer gen models. Great looks, great flight characteristics, easy to land. A jewel.
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I’m currently in the middle of a nozzle mod. I’m combining the stock nozzle base with the last part of the F-18 nozzle.
                              the foam opening on the Fuse is 60mm the opening at the end of the stock nozzles are 65mm. The opening on the F-18 nozzles are 55mm.
                              I’ll test unit again with GPS with both EDF units again after I get the nozzles done.
                              interesting note, the new F-15EX have similar nozzles to what I’m making.

Gravy
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Here’s my simple 3d printed solution plus another mod to the intake you might consider.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4101.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	386539

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	386540 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4098.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	386541

Name:	IMG_4099.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	386542

Comment

• After doing that did you keep the cheater grate or close it off?

Gravy

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                                    After doing that did you keep the cheater grate or close it off?

Gravy
                                    Mostly closed, just two or three slots left open for ESC cooling. Intake area to feed the fan is sufficient.

Frank

Comment

• Nozzles all done. Now just need to test them out.

Gravy
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Well didn’t get to do any gos testing today, but I did take it up one time with the 6000 HRB. Not going to add any more than I noted two notable improvements, no data to back it up just how it felt and looked.
                                        take off felt much more alive, like it had authority and the vertical impresses myself and my buddy watching it.

I was hoping to get 4 flights today but the wind had other plans. I almost didn’t even take it up the one time I did, but I just couldn’t resist.

Now I’m really looking to get some test results.

Gravy

Comment

• A flying buddy at my club recently picked up the F-15. It is a beautiful looking model and seems to fly great. I managed to take some photos for him this evening and thought the model could pass for an Air Force recruiting tool ;-)

Well done Freewing!

JB

Comment

Working...
                                          X