Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my maiden done today on the rebuild. I got a few things to work out( trim and nose gear) before and during next flight. The first issue was the nose gear. I put the stock screws in for some reason to hold the nose gear in, instead of the longer pass through bolts that go through to the wood plate under the cockpit. So after landing I noticed the nose gear was lose and moving around. As normal no glue was harmed when the put the plastic mount in the foam.
    Other issue was the trim added for flaps was way to much and I was having to push the nose down the whole time during final to touch down.
    This flight and the next few will be in stock setup. After I get her dialed in I’ll flip a switch and go into RCGeeks setup.
    After a few flight in that set up I’ll change the wings to my spoiler and fullspane flap wings. That’s where she will live out the rest of her life.

Not sure how well the airspeed indicator worked. I showed a top speed of 58 mph.

I did notice the new fan units made a huge difference .

Gravy

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
      On my Tomcat I was able to swap to the new 2150 12 blade units with the set of 100amp escs i bought for the plane with the older fans, so far I haven't run into any overheat protection while flying it in 100+ degree Texas heat. As stated it had a tangible boost in power, not much if any in speed, but it'll make a loop now with all my fpv gear on board and shorter takeoff roll. Use to it would stall out at the top with the older 1900 9 blade systems.
      The stock FW 100amp can take more beating than I expected...It accidentally draw 180 amp i a Gripen with 2280kv motor...Never thougt it was possible...But the cooling in the duct and cold weather probaly savet it😋 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKSL7POFKs8&t=52s
      I have bought a FW F14 now +2pc 2150kv edfs...I gess its in the next week😁😁😁

Comment

• Dream plane! Dreams do come true. This F-14 should be a permanent flagship aircraft for Motion RC. It needs a refresh so we don’t have to do so many mods out of the gate but it’s a fantastic airplane. I fly at a field that’s 6300ft above sea level and the power has a lot to be desired. It flew, but takeoffs were long and it would fall out at the top of a small loop and hard to recover after the fallout. Upgraded to the new Freewing 80mm 2150kv inrunner fans paired with Freewing 100amp esc’s and it’s like a whole new plane. Shorter takeoffs with confident climb out and nice big loops with no fallout at the top and plenty of power to recover. Fly’s like a tomcat now!
        After a dozen landings, with a few less than perfect, I noticed a lot of flex in the frame at the wing root. I have had to reinforce the frame and no issues now. These are all things that can be addressed with a refresh and hopefully MRC will take all the feedback and come out with a stock upgraded tomcat and continue to support the airplane with parts replacements for the foreseeable future. Even though it cost me as much to put parts and upgrades into this plane as the plane itself cost, I couldn’t be happier having a nice flying tomcat!

Comment

• Originally posted by Baysim80 View Post
          Dream plane! Dreams do come true. This F-14 should be a permanent flagship aircraft for Motion RC. It needs a refresh so we don’t have to do so many mods out of the gate but it’s a fantastic airplane. I fly at a field that’s 6300ft above sea level and the power has a lot to be desired. It flew, but takeoffs were long and it would fall out at the top of a small loop and hard to recover after the fallout. Upgraded to the new Freewing 80mm 2150kv inrunner fans paired with Freewing 100amp esc’s and it’s like a whole new plane. Shorter takeoffs with confident climb out and nice big loops with no fallout at the top and plenty of power to recover. Fly’s like a tomcat now!
          After a dozen landings, with a few less than perfect, I noticed a lot of flex in the frame at the wing root. I have had to reinforce the frame and no issues now. These are all things that can be addressed with a refresh and hopefully MRC will take all the feedback and come out with a stock upgraded tomcat and continue to support the airplane with parts replacements for the foreseeable future. Even though it cost me as much to put parts and upgrades into this plane as the plane itself cost, I couldn’t be happier having a nice flying tomcat!
          B8, I like the way you think, compelling points to be sure, especially the "Flagship" notion. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Flagship possibly coming true! I might be late to the conversation but Freewing is selling this new configuration to most other countries but the US. Probably waiting for Motion to clear out its current inventory. Freewing is promoting it as the Tomcat V2.0.
            https://www.freewing-model.com/freewing-f-14-v2-tomcat-twin-80mm-edf-jet-pnp-rc-airplane.html
            ​Only difference is they are running 80 amp ESCs with 6 Blade factory balanced EDF with metal housing and 3525-2050KV brushless outrunner motors.​​ Or have I missed something??

Comment

• You are missing a lot. That site is not a good site. If you order form there you will not get a plane. The 6b 2050 was a very low powered fan originally available and no longer made. I don't even think Motion ever chose to import the plane with that power system. Many FreeWing aircraft used to be offered with various power systems. What Castle chose to sell vs Motion was different in many cases and one or the other may have offered up to three different set ups, kit or kit+, a low power outrunner and a higher power inrunner. A good example is the current Banshee. FW has 6 different 64mm EDF units that can go in it. Castle is offering a low power 4S and a 6S inrunner, Motion only the 4S.

All that said I think we can expect that in the future this will come with an updated EDF unit as all the FW planes are moving to inrunners and plastic fan shrouds. The question really is will there be a true V2. When they change motors or ESCs they don't usually call it a V2. New versions usually have a different paint scheme, some different design elements or something more substantial to distinguish them.

I’d be happy with them fixing the “RESCUE”.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	CA63C8DA-A7C7-44A6-8836-5AC614F16A74.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	387878

Comment

• Hello Everyone. Looking for some setup help. I'm trying to figure out how to reduce or cancel all aileron travel when the wings are swept back with the stock setup. I only have a NX8 (8 channel transmitter) but i'm using a 10 channel receiver. I think using setting up F-Modes is the way to do it. If correct, how do I limit the stop the aileron travel? I'm open to any recommendations.

Comment

• Originally posted by salali View Post
                  Hello Everyone. Looking for some setup help. I'm trying to figure out how to reduce or cancel all aileron travel when the wings are swept back with the stock setup. I only have a NX8 (8 channel transmitter) but i'm using a 10 channel receiver. I think using setting up F-Modes is the way to do it. If correct, how do I limit the stop the aileron travel? I'm open to any recommendations.
                  You can eliminate the movement of any channel by mixing it into itself with a rate of (-100)%. If you activate the mix with the sweep switch, it will prevent aileron movement when the wings are back. However, you still need the roll input to the tailerons, and you haven't told us how you've arranged your channels.

Comment

• Anyone put 65mm tires on your F-14? Looks like plenty of clearance in the wheel wells.

Comment

• I am setting my F-14 to the specs in the manual. It is calling for 34mm on the elevators in high rates and 14mm on the ailerons in high rates. Does this seem excessive for the ailerons since the elevators are at max of 34mm deflection? At 100% my ailerons move about 8-9 mm with the elevators at 100%.

Comment

• Having Fun Rcgeek has a good setup video for the Tomcat. I've yet to fly the F14 but I have used his setup recommendations for other planes as a baseline and haven't regretted it. I don't know what youve experienced using book rates, but for me, the 'book' for anything, eh, not so much. Unless you use low rates as your high or medium, the recommended throws and CGs can get your blood pumping. It'll make you a better pilot in a hurry though if you can hang on to it.

Comment

• A lot of people over think the F-14.

The stock setup works, both mine were set up basically stock

Chris’s set up works too

Many over complicate theirs trying to replicate the real TC

Comment

• I used the stock rates. It is not a particularly fast rolling plane anyway, with the wings out.

Comment

• Thanks to all three of you! Happy New Year

Comment

• Thanks, happy new year to you too!

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                  Here are the F-14D wheel covers I promised to make.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image0.jpeg Views:	662 Size:	135.5 KB ID:	298983
                                  Hi T-CAT, I was wondering if these are still on Thingyverse, as I could not find them. link is dead.

Comment

• For those that are in Europe and do not have access to Rich's (RC-Informers) rear fuse mod plates, I have drawn and laser cut, then brushed 10 pairs of these - for now.
                                    I can make as many as needed at any time. made of 3 mm aluminum 3.3535.25 better quality aluminium than original FW.
                                    just wanted to help anyone who finds it hard to have some sent from the US. But i am happy to send them worldwide.
                                    DM me directly if anyone in interested.
                                    I received alot of great background info from this thread,so I wanted to do something in return to make this beautiful airframe platform better.
                                    I stand on the shoulders of Rich and Chris and all those that thought out all these great mods.
                                    Mine, with all detailing, panel lines filled in, repaint, mods, special one off Callie Graphics scheme etc. should be flying by summer 2024.
                                    Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by steve_john View Post

Hi T-CAT, I was wondering if these are still on Thingyverse, as I could find them. link is dead.
                                      I have an STL file. Let me know if T-Cat doesn't respond.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I have an STL file. Let me know if T-Cat doesn't respond.
                                        Thanks Kallend, I found all your stl's, I will start to print soon - could you send me the hub STL? want trade two gear plates for it? :-)

Comment

• steve_john,

Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Sir.

Thank you for taking it upon yourself to pick up where others have left off.

Quite the considerate act, actually. Well done.

Best, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X