X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by steve_john View Post

Thanks Kallend, I found all your stl's, I will start to print soon - could you send me the hub STL? want trade two gear plates for it? :-)

For anyone that wants it:

F14D_Main_Wheel_CoverV1.stl

I have a lot of stuff on Thingiverse. Maybe I should sort it into some kind of order when I have time (ha ha).

Attached Files

Comment

• kallend, Your design is top-notch, Thank you posting this. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

For those that are in Europe and do not have access to Rich's (RC-Informers) rear fuse mod plates, I have drawn and laser cut, then brushed 10 pairs of these - for now.
        I can make as many as needed at any time. made of 3 mm aluminum 3.3535.25 better quality aluminium than original FW.
        just wanted to help anyone who finds it hard to have some sent from the US. But i am happy to send them worldwide.
        DM me directly if anyone in interested.
        I received alot of great background info from this thread,so I wanted to do something in return to make this beautiful airframe platform better.
        I stand on the shoulders of Rich and Chris and all those that thought out all these great mods.
        Mine, with all detailing, panel lines filled in, repaint, mods, special one off Callie Graphics scheme etc. should be flying by summer 2024.
        Steve
        Steve,

I am referencing the OEM aluminum "rear fuse plates" that you replaced; what is the total weight of the PEM plates?

I have thought about replacing those with carbon fiber plates if there is there is a sufficient weight difference?

Thanks in advance,

Best, LB
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          kallend, Your design is top-notch, Thank you posting this. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
          Not my design. I find it useful to collect stuff in case it "disappears" from the Thigiverse site, since permission has already granted (Creative Commons) to share it when was first put on Thingy and made public, even if it's now gone. Thingy does give the option of not publishing a design, but I fail to see the point of uploading it in the first place if you don't want others to see it.

The stuff I put in my own Thingiverse collection ARE my own designs unless explicitly stated otherwise (just a small handful of those, and they have already been made public). Feel free to use any of them.

Comment

Steve,

I am referencing the OEM aluminum "rear fuse plates" that you replaced; what is the total weight of the PEM plates?

I have thought about replacing those with carbon fiber plates if there is there is a sufficient weight difference?

Thanks in advance,

Best, LB
            LB,

see attached pictures for original plate weight and the modified plate.
            Original plate - 91 grams or 3,2 Ounces
            modified plate - 154 grams or 5,45 ounces
            many people have flown these plates. the Tomcat can take the weight, especially with the latest power units installed.

I don’t believe making them out of carbon fiber is easier - the lamination and baking of the Carbon must be spot on,
            remeber these two plates is everything that holds the wings to the airframe.
            just my two cents worth.
            more pictures soon…
            Attached Files

Comment

. . . . the Tomcat can take the weight, . . . .
              "Many a mickle makes a muckle"; old Scottish proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

"Many a mickle makes a muckle"; old Scottish proverb.
                kallend True, normally keep them as light as possible - but these plates have been flown successfully and the Tomcat is better with air punching mass… flying heavier makes it rocksteady.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Not my design. I find it useful to collect stuff in case it "disappears" from the Thigiverse site, since permission has already granted (Creative Commons) to share it when was first put on Thingy and made public, even if it's now gone. Thingy does give the option of not publishing a design, but I fail to see the point of uploading it in the first place if you don't want others to see it.

The stuff I put in my own Thingiverse collection ARE my own designs unless explicitly stated otherwise (just a small handful of those, and they have already been made public). Feel free to use any of them.
                  K, I think you are spot on with your analysis. Any design posted, should be shared or as you wrote, what is the point?

I did not realize the wheel design was authored by someone else and hope you will forgive my blunder.

Your designs have always been "top-notch".

I 'collect' OEM STLs as well. It is odd how those just disappear from Hobby Squawk and other 3DP repositories without notice.

Thanks for reaching out and as always, best to you and yours, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• steve_john,

Steve, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have the FreeWing F-14 ARF+ and a pair of the FreeWing MiG 29 EDF/Motor/ESCs as the power system.

My only motivation to 'lighten' the Tomcat was to avoid adding 'more' weight on this airframe as I am prone to adding modifications via 3DP prints which quickly adds weight.

My FreeWing 80mm F-18C modifications added just under 11 ounces to an airframe that has inherently high wing loading.

The resulting flight characteristics were/are 'exciting' at my mid level flight skills with 'fast-movers'.

Having watched many, if not every, review, mod video, and flight analysis of the Freewing F-14 my initial take away is modify the wing plates and strengthen the MG mounts.

I am very familiar with carbon fiber laminate, Prepreg sheets, and Kevlar cloth.

The benefits in both weight savings and strength can be significant, though I don't see myself designing molds or parts for this bird.

That written, what appears to be the one area of inherent weight on the Tomcat is the wing box structure.

I understand that is "the" pivotal (pardon the pun) structure of the F-14 and tampering with that I risk opening 'Pandora's Box'.

I had thought to replace the aluminum plates with 2.5 mm CF plate to save a few ounces, but to save <2 is might not be worth the effort, IMHO.

I am looking forward to your continued comments, photos, and analysis.

Thank you again for your reply and if I may, I will contact you with any questions I might have when I start the build.

Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I had one of the very first cats and put a lot of flights on it. I got bored and sold it and wanted another one that I could upgrade the power. A friend sold me his with the MiG29 fans that also had after burners on them. He had bought the strengthening upgrades. The TC really needs the forward battery floor upgrade but unless flying from grass or doing carrier landings the center fuselage holds up pretty well. I sold the aluminium plates as I didn't use them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        I had one of the very first cats and put a lot of flights on it. I got bored and sold it and wanted another one that I could upgrade the power. A friend sold me his with the MiG29 fans that also had after burners on them. He had bought the strengthening upgrades. The TC really needs the forward battery floor upgrade but unless flying from grass or doing carrier landings the center fuselage holds up pretty well. I sold the aluminium plates as I didn't use them.
                        Thanks Evan. Best, Steve
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Big news dropped today with the new smaller Tomcat release, Does this mean the older one will be retired soon or upgraded, (Better main gear, lighter, inrunners, afterburners) I know it's probably wishful thinking, but the original F14 is about 8 or 9 years mature with no updates?

Comment

steve_john,

Steve, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have the FreeWing F-14 ARF+ and a pair of the FreeWing MiG 29 EDF/Motor/ESCs as the power system.

My only motivation to 'lighten' the Tomcat was to avoid adding 'more' weight on this airframe as I am prone to adding modifications via 3DP prints which quickly adds weight.

My FreeWing 80mm F-18C modifications added just under 11 ounces to an airframe that has inherently high wing loading.

The resulting flight characteristics were/are 'exciting' at my mid level flight skills with 'fast-movers'.

Having watched many, if not every, review, mod video, and flight analysis of the Freewing F-14 my initial take away is modify the wing plates and strengthen the MG mounts.

I am very familiar with carbon fiber laminate, Prepreg sheets, and Kevlar cloth.

The benefits in both weight savings and strength can be significant, though I don't see myself designing molds or parts for this bird.

That written, what appears to be the one area of inherent weight on the Tomcat is the wing box structure.

I understand that is "the" pivotal (pardon the pun) structure of the F-14 and tampering with that I risk opening 'Pandora's Box'.

I had thought to replace the aluminum plates with 2.5 mm CF plate to save a few ounces, but to save <2 is might not be worth the effort, IMHO.

I am looking forward to your continued comments, photos, and analysis.

Thank you again for your reply and if I may, I will contact you with any questions I might have when I start the build.

Best, LB

Hi LB,
                            if you fly from grass, both the front gear and main gear need the reinforcement systems / mods. at the end of the day, the plane will cost upwards of 1000 USD (if you finish it top notch, and it would be a shame to have it deteriorate as the foam compresses from many grass landings, which give the gear a real beating.

With the MIG 29 power system, she'll have plenty of power to get off the ground / grass even with the mods.
                            I have the same system you described. and some ogther mods..

oh, and yes, contact any time - glad to help.

Steve

Comment

• Im running the latest avanti fans in mine, that really gave it a good thrust boost.

Comment

• Id love to see this one go into a V2 update program

Comment

• @Elbee,
                                  Here are some pictures of the prep work for the finish of the Tomcat along the lines of Chris (RCgeek), i.e. filling panel lines, poly coating and basically cleaning up the airframe.
                                  I also changed the wheels for fatter, softer, more scale dubros. They absorb landings better and generally look more scale on carrier planes (no weight added).
                                  It's many hours of hours filling sanding filling sanding work, but worth it.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• steve_john, Lookin' very good, Sir. Smart choice and a great tip about the DuBro tires, too. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Tomcat Operators,

I have 2 NEW MiG-29 power systems 80mm 9 Blade EDFs and 2-100 amp ESCs I bought from Motion RC when I bought my F-14 ARF+.

Motion RC Invoice Number 548142 dated march 28, 2021 at 1601hrs (4:01P).

I am selling these as I have gone another direction with the build and my A-10 is fast enough for me already.

These are 2 NIB (new in box).80mm EDFs for the the upgrade 3658-1920Kv Inrunner motors for the Freewing MiG-29 with 2 Hobbywing Skywalker 100Amp ESCs with the 8v BECs.

This package invoiced at $271.97USD and I am asking $210.00USD with Free Shipping to the Continental US.

This package upgrades the twin 80mm Freewing F-14, the Freewing A-10, and many of the 80mm single EDF models.

Payment is easiest through PayPal.

Please send me a Private Message (PM), if interested, and I will check every morning for those.

Serious inquiries only, and I will respond to all PMs in order first to last.

Thank you for your consideration and I will posting these in Hobby Squawk Classified Ads by Sunday.

Oh, and by the way, Happy Easter to you and those whom you call family.

Best, Steve (LB)

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• They do well, I used that same setup for a couple years until the avanti s v2 came out and I replaced the fan units with a set of those. I think these 9 blade motors are solid for standard line of sight flying. Anyone would be happy with them as a solid upgrade.

Comment

• Here's a digital maiden flight with my new walksnail gear.

Comment

Working...
                                          X