Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally took mine up with goggles on today. It feels like DCS in the tomcat module. I can see many a fun time with this, and my back seater had a ball as well.

Comment

• That’s awesome!

Comment

• Hey y’all!

I’m in the process of getting my F-14 together. I’ve added most of the popular mods, FMS 3665 2000kv 80mm fans with their 120 predator esc’s, Castle BEC 2.0 WP, hit ed D89MH servos for the tail, JP hobbies brakes, AG63 Pro brake/steering gyro controller, etc. I’m using JR DMSS with XBUS so I can get the radio setup right.

But where I’m hanging up is on power distribution.

It seems silly to run the BEC to the receivers (dual 613bx’s) and carry all that current via the RX’s when the board likely should be carrying the current. So is it safe to power the distribution board directly from the BEC to power the receiver in reverse, or does the board’s circuitry require power to come in via the 6 ports dedicated for communication the the receiver? Can I power the board in empty outputs where I’m running servos directly via the receiver or should I only use the ports for the receiver?

Comment

• Trying not to over post. Some I do a update on here some times and some time at RCG. What I’m trying to do is not saturate either site with post after post. So I’ll post some up today stuff here, then next new update will go to RCG, then next over here.
          Anyway, I started my wire management and rx placement.
          since the belly pan is not used for the ESC’s anymore, I can use that space for wire chase firebooty system. The on / off switch for the firebooty is in between the Phoenix rails.
          I’m waiting for some connectors to show up. I’m going to make tow wire harnesses for the wing servos and lights. This will make changing them out easier and help me keep them out of the way. It will be two 6 wire connectors per wing. +,-, Ail sig, flip sig, and the led+-.
          I still need to mount and run the front retract and led.

getting close, that’s for sure.

adding video I posted over at RCG couple days ago showing control surfaces (with spoilers) working.

Gravy
          Attached Files

Comment

• I made tunnels from the wing sweep mech area through to the nose to clean up wires in the battery area... Top pics are my second F-14, lower is my first.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3255.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	369609Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3253.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.7 KB ID:	369608Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3235.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	369607Click image for larger version  Name:	image-0fd3c0ac2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	369611Click image for larger version  Name:	f14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	369610

Comment

• Thanks for the pics. There is a wire slot in the front half of the fuse. I will continue that slot all the way back to the SW box. I bought the F-18 nose strut because its the same only better on piece construction.After I paint it white I can install the front retract and LED and finish up my wiring from the front section. at that point I can permanently affix my antenna's and do some range testing to make sure I don't have any dual RX interference.

Gravy

Comment

• [QUOTE=Evan D;n369606]I made tunnels from the wing sweep mech area through to the nose to clean up wires in the battery area... Top pics are my second F-14, lower is my first./QUOTE]

ED, great idea adding the channels for the wiring. Looks like a very clean install. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Got mine about a month ago but I'm going to assemble it within the next few days. Putting dual 5280 Bluefire afterburners in. Looks like with some doing I can fit 6000s. Looking at going HV Lipo for it. Only issue is the good ones are 2 bills a piece. Other battery recommendations? I'm not even opposed to upgrading the ESCs and making it 8s (though that seems like a ton of weight if I'm running 4x4s).

Comment

• It’s only 80mm. 5000-5200 is good. Keep to 700g or under batteries. 600g or under is even better.

Comment

• Got my 14 all wired up. Just need to do some final touch ups and blending. Now the fun part, and I really mean that…. Programming. That’s my groove.

Gravy
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Gravythe clown Nice murdered out Tomcat!

Comment

• Forgot to turn my dvr on until I was already halfway through my flight. Swept the wings back and it wasn't even noticeable aaaaaand I thought I raised my gear, but I had the switch in the up position when I took off. So gear was down the entire time.

Comment

• You're living the dream! rifleman_btx So badass! Gear down or not. It looks so fun!

Comment

• Nice, how accurate is the speedometer? I’m assist ground speed, correct?

Gravy

Comment

• I feel like the ground speed is fairly accurate, I have 2 systems working on the plane one that talks through the reciever and the one that runs though the fpv gear, they were both saying about 92mph was the top speed. That appears to be on the dive for the low runway pass. I had the wings swept for that. That's when I looked back after to make sure I got the wings back out again. Honestly flying it with this system felt like flying the f14 module in dcs with vr. Very relaxing and enjoyable.

Comment

• I was more looking at the speed when you touched down (32 mph). Have you done a stall test with your speed call outs? Any idea what that is? Your touch down looked really close to stall.
                                  that one of two air speeds i plane to dial In. 1st is speed to sweep wing and I sweep. 2nd stall speed. I will program for stall warning call out and then when landing gear is down and speed < #, call out airspeed every 2 seconds.
                                  with that I should be able to get stall warning right before touch down.

Gravy

Comment

• Well the problem you will face is with gps speed (ground speed) you won't get a good line of stall speed, for this model it appears to be between 34-30mph (ground) I think in regards to airspeed, the point of departure I would set is 40mph (airspeed), the factor being headwinds making ground speed just a reference point, as the best option to get a true stall speed would be get a airspeed sensor and set your stall warning at 37mph, depending on your all up flight weight. The addition of twin pan and tilt camera gimbals, the osd unit, and extra rx for the RIO station, definitely adds significant weight thus making my stall speed abit higher than if you have a pilot only fpv system, and it definitely feels faster landing than with my Line of sight (stock) canopy

Comment

• Elbee
                                      Elbee commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Great brief, Sir. Also, Shown as 200+ alt in meters but with goggles it's a non-event. Outstanding. Best, LB

• Here was my test flight where I got a general landing speed with my setup.

Comment

• Thats cool stuff,, once in the air, a dumy question,, how do you no which way is home(runway). Think i would get lost,, but would .uv to do it

Comment

• Follow the "B", relative to the upside down "T". Altitude, speed and distance is given on the screen. Some displays shows it in a different way, but usually shows where the plane is and where the pilot is in some pictographic way. I stopped doing it as I got sick to my stomach.

Comment

Working...
                                        X