Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a bad life span considering 1,000-2,000 sorties! I don't think I have ever flown a single model more than a few hundred flights tops, lol. Good on ya!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Ref post 1420 / Here are a few more data points indicating the reliability of equipment purchased from MRC…

Note: I fly with little down time between flights (personal record is 40 flights in an afternoon). But, I do use a fan between flights to blow on the ESCs that only have flight airstream cooling. Fan is applied during battery change period.

With all planes considered, 4,000+ sorties for the below.

BEC failures = zero
      ESC failures = zero
      Receiver failures = one
      Gyro failures = zero
      Crashes due to radio control loss since starting to use RF chokes = zero

Went out to fly the B-2 this morning. Perfect conditions. On one post landing taxi-back, she lost directional control. Something else I wore out….the connecting pin that screws into the nose gear’s steering arm had metal fatigue failure at the base of the threads. That tiny pin withstood a TON of use before finally failing. Amazing.

Recently ordered spare steering arms…good to go again.

-GG

Comment

• After waiting for a while to see how well this bird holds up, I decided to buy it and I hop to get started on it once it hits my doorway!
        Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

• Of the recently released bombers I have to think the new B-25 holds up the best. But the B-2 sure looks cool, especially at dusk coming in low over the field.

Comment

• Hi Bearcat….

Please read post 1406 for B-2 report.

-GG

PS: Talking mainly about airframes, and over 1000 flights on each….(likely over 2000 on some)…
            P-38 needs no airframe mods
            AL37 needs added carbon stiffeners epoxied into each wing’s wiring channel
            F-4 needs no airframe mods but needs beefier elevator hardware
            PJ-50 needs several smallish carbon stiffeners added to/embedded into the bottom wing skin about 1/3 the way out from the root
            MiG-29 needs VT to allow alpha lock recovery and beefy elevator servos and hardware. Needs beefing up around main gear support areas.
            B-2 needs no airframe mods

Comment

• First one I have seen in person! Check out this field!

Comment

• Yep, John's a great pilot. I was there! Incredible club. Joined it this past Spring. I call it the Taj Mahal of RC Clubs.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                  Yep, John's a great pilot. I was there! Incredible club. Joined it this past Spring. I call it the Taj Mahal of RC Clubs.
                  John who? Talking to me? This was Roberts. Ive been going to the RAF for decades, even before it was at this field!

Comment

• Ooops, misspoke. I meant Robert.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Ahh, no worries, you were at the event? Thats awesome. I go at least once a year to that field.

Comment

• Yeah I joined months ago, been there a few times. Wish I lived closer! Great field. Good people. I am moving to Astoria, OR so I regrettably won't be a member anymore. Maybe I can make the event down the road.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hi gents, and ladies if any here. Thinking of getting this B2. Could someone help with the span measurement of the center section of how long it is? Trying to figuring out if it would fit in the car is all. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• She’s right at 45 inches wide without the wing extensions. 34 inches nose to tail.

STRONGLY suggest you read ALL of the pages in this B-2 forum before you decide.

Fun to fly and a crowd pleaser, but she may not be for everyone (wind limitations and landing skills).

Couple of examples… post 1244 and post 1305

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                              She’s right at 45 inches wide without the wing extensions. 34 inches nose to tail.

STRONGLY suggest you read ALL of the pages in this B-2 forum before you decide.

Fun to fly and a crowd pleaser, but she may not be for everyone (wind limitations and landing skills).

Couple of examples… post 1244 and post 1305

-GG

Thank you very much! Have a great weekend.

Comment

• Just picked up this aircraft at an auction. Was looking for a way to up my game and from what I can tell this is just the challenge I was looking for. Couple of questions tho... From what i have seen so far drag rudder recommendations are all over the place. What initial length of opening at full open. Mine came out to 42mm after following you tube video stating to set rate at 70% in which the target was 45mm. How much up trim on inboard surfaces. Currently 7mm as per same video. Clear vertical stab? - YES or NO. And finally whats the non-slip mat for? Battery? thanks SR

Comment

• Originally posted by sillyRabbit View Post
                                  Just picked up this aircraft at an auction. Was looking for a way to up my game and from what I can tell this is just the challenge I was looking for. Couple of questions tho... From what i have seen so far drag rudder recommendations are all over the place. What initial length of opening at full open. Mine came out to 42mm after following you tube video stating to set rate at 70% in which the target was 45mm. How much up trim on inboard surfaces. Currently 7mm as per same video. Clear vertical stab? - YES or NO. And finally whats the non-slip mat for? Battery? thanks SR
                                  Hi SR….Lots to learn about this EDF.

You should go to page #1 of this forum and read EVERY B-2 post before you fly it. It will save you some grief.

Fun bird….but “special”. If you don’t have at least intermediate skills….postpone flying it until you sharpen your skills. Your question about the non-slip material indicates somewhat beginner experience. If that is the case….DON’T fly this EDF.

Drag rudder = close is good enough
                                  Clear Rudder = use it, but many do not
                                  Trim = start out as recommended, but you will probably add more up
                                  CG = on the mark
                                  Fly only in 5 mph wind or less
                                  Order spare nose gear parts….mount, servo, doors, nose wheel assembly….especially the servo.

Make EVERY landing the best landing you have ever made…EVERY time. Don’t get it bouncing or you will need the nose wheel spare parts.

If I am misjudging your skill level, my bad.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

If I am misjudging your skill level, my bad.

-GG
                                    No worries about my skill level assumption. Any feedback is good feedback IMHO. I'm up for the challenge. I've never seen the no-slip mat in a Freewing EDF before. In that there is no mention of it in the manual anywhere, I assume there's a common practical use. Having never used it before my best guess would be to keep the battery from slipping but just dont know. Even tho I only spent $250, its a really nice product and well worth taking the time to look into all the minutia involved in keeping it in one piece.

Comment

• Yep….The non- slip matt is placed under the battery. I have always used Velcro. Not too much….or you’ll have trouble removing the battery.

Yes….it is well built. I have way over 1,000 flights on mine and have not uncovered any structural weakness.

-GG

Comment

• Perfect weather so I maiden-ed it today. Takes off great, flies great, landings.........🙄. Not a scratch on it, but it did bounce. I really thought I had it greased but it every so slightly hopped about 6" off the runway. So slightly that I thought I still had it but FWIW its not the first bounce thats the problem, its the second bounce that pops you back up 3'. If I keep doing that I'll definitely need a new nose gear at some point. Supposed I'll just NOT keep doing that and power up on the first bounce.🤪

Comment

• Congrats! The technique is to get it down into ground effect about 6 inches up. Then hold her off and bleed speed/energy. If you end up with full up elevator, that’s fine. Touch down with as low energy as possible. Then she can’t bounce.

No energy…no bounce. Yep…you let her crow hop, and you will be replacing the nose gear servo as a minimum and doing major foam repair as a maximum.

If the wind is blowing, a gust can cause you to touch too soon. Disaster!!! Once in ground effect, go to zero power. Get the energy LOW.

Caution…6 inches!!! Get too slow too high and a wing will drop. Disaster!!!

Make EVERY landing the best possible landing you have EVER made!!!!

-GG

Comment

Working...
                                          X