X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    Drag rudder opening amount is adjusted and set via multiple routes - look at servo travel, servo subtrim and manually adjusting the rods inside the wing tips. If you're happy with rudder authority, just go with what you've got.
    I've got mine to also act as drag brakes where they both open up as wide as possible for shorter landing roll. This involves some fiddling with mixes, switches and other electronic bits.
    Is it possible to use the build in gyro AND control both servos separately? When I limit the amount of travel in one direction, it automatically limits the amount or travel or the servo on the opposite side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quax View Post

Is it possible to use the build in gyro AND control both servos separately? When I limit the amount of travel in one direction, it automatically limits the amount or travel or the servo on the opposite side.
      I suppose it's possible by using something like "dual rudders" on the gyro but that could open up a whole other can of worms. Nevertheless, the adjusting the drag rudders should not involve the gyro anyway. When the gyro acts on the RUDD channel, it does so on both as both act in unison when rudder is commanded. On this plane, the gyro does compensation for external forces such as wind gusts. It's the "control box" that does a lot of the fancy footwork with regards to drag rudder operation and the various elevon mixing. Adjusting the "open-ness" of the drag rudders can be an intricate affair. I followed the manual as best I could for setting up the drag rudders but most of it was viewing a video that was in this thread early on. I can't seem to find it now but here is another video that covers similar principles.

This is an updated video showing my method for setting up the drag rudders and control surfaces of the all new Freewing B-2 Spirit. In the previous video I s...

Comment

I suppose it's possible by using something like "dual rudders" on the gyro but that could open up a whole other can of worms. Nevertheless, the adjusting the drag rudders should not involve the gyro anyway. When the gyro acts on the RUDD channel, it does so on both as both act in unison when rudder is commanded. On this plane, the gyro does compensation for external forces such as wind gusts. It's the "control box" that does a lot of the fancy footwork with regards to drag rudder operation and the various elevon mixing. Adjusting the "open-ness" of the drag rudders can be an intricate affair. I followed the manual as best I could for setting up the drag rudders but most of it was viewing a video that was in this thread early on. I can't seem to find it now but here is another video that covers similar principles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfb-nzEUHVE
        That video is the one I used for setting up my rudders. However, it is only part of the story as restricting the travel of a servo on one wing will restrict the travel of the servo on the opposite site as they are both controlled via a single channel. That is why I asked how it is possible to control both drag rudder servos independently (which is also a prerequisite to have both drag rudders fully open during landing roll) in the gyro setup of the B-2.

Thanks for all the great tips you all provide here! I appreciate that very much. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
          My drag rudders are 25 mm open top to bottom at the outer rear edges. That is the closest I can get. It is not critical.-GG
          Going back to this post and to Quax's enquiry, it's odd that you could only get yours to open 25mm. I know you mentioned that it's not critical, so that being the case, no need to worry about it at this point.
          I'm thinking back to when I was setting mine up and I actually had to reduce the opening. It was, at one point, 55mm opening. If I recall correctly, it was mostly the mechanical adjustments of the 2 connecting rods inside each drag rudder that set the opening. Very little TX electronic adjustments were used, only to use the rudder stick to make sure they were centered when closed. I finally got them down to the recommended 45mm.
          Most of the electronic stuff happened when programming drag brakes:

Comment

• Oooooo man! I messed up badly. I re-read the manual (not by my B-2 at the moment to measure).

The manual states 22.5 mm up and 22.5 mm down at neutral stick. I (from memory again) could only get 20 mm each. So I am at 40 mm top to bottom vs the manual 45 mm.

I should have measured vs misleading by trusting my memory. Interestingly, they do blow down some in flight. At least they don’t appear to be as wide open when flying by as when sitting on the ground.

Apologies all around for providing misleading info.

-GG

I blame it on turning 73 tomorrow!

Comment

• I don't think you would see much difference in how they act in the airflow between 40mm and 45mm. However when I open them wide for drag brakes, it does display a dramatic slow down.
              Happy Birthday, young lad. I'll catch up to you in 2 months but then, you'll be 2 months ahead of me again.

Comment

• xviper
                GliderGuy
                Thanks for your Info! It helped a lot and I got three more flights with her today (some more wind, about those 5mph). She flew fine and when holding her off in ground effect she settled just nicely (jumped once very little but wasn't a problem).

I set my drag rudders using the method shown in the video. That way, I have them at 45mm open in neutral but they won't open the 102mm in full open position any more (about 80mm in total). However, that didn't seem to be a problem on my flights yet.

When I have the time, I am going to have a closer look on the gyro manual to see how I can configure the drag rudders to work as spoilers like you did, xviper (btw, the video is shown to be private - would you mind to share it maybe?).

GliderGuy, as it past midnight here - have a Happy Birthday and enjoy the day.

Comment

• Happy Birthday GliderGuy! You've been a great member to this community. Enjoy the day young man!
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

xviper
                    GliderGuy
                    When I have the time, I am going to have a closer look on the gyro manual to see how I can configure the drag rudders to work as spoilers like you did, xviper (btw, the video is shown to be private - would you mind to share it maybe?).
                    Very sorry. I just re-classified it. Try it now.
                    Caution: The gyro is not involved with configuring the drag rudders. They only act upon them via gain and on this plane gyro gain on the rudder must be kept at "max". Drag brakes are more complicated. I'll try to find the post I did in this thread outlining how I did it. I also believe someone else has a YouTube video doing the same.

Comment

• OK, I found it. It was in the same post as the video:
                      B-2 Spirit Bomber Twin 70mm EDF Jet from Freewing B-2.jpg (filedata/fetch?filedataid=79728) Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/CntgqHwbpCY Join us for a Live Overview and Q/A This Friday, April 8th at 12pm EST: https://youtu.be/BxKyzOx_L_g Fly the ultimate RC jet by Motion RC! The Freewing B-2 Stealth Spirit

I spoke a little about using a couple of mixes and a "buddy box" to implement drag brakes but it can be done in other ways. I just happened to have an old "buddy box" laying around from an old dead plane.

Comment

OK, I found it. It was in the same post as the video:
                        B-2 Spirit Bomber Twin 70mm EDF Jet from Freewing B-2.jpg (filedata/fetch?filedataid=79728) Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/CntgqHwbpCY Join us for a Live Overview and Q/A This Friday, April 8th at 12pm EST: https://youtu.be/BxKyzOx_L_g Fly the ultimate RC jet by Motion RC! The Freewing B-2 Stealth Spirit

I spoke a little about using a couple of mixes and a "buddy box" to implement drag brakes but it can be done in other ways. I just happened to have an old "buddy box" laying around from an old dead plane.
                        Thanks for posting! Now I understand how you did it - I didn't have that additional box in my mind and so was wondering how two servos on the same receiver port (in this model gyro port) could move in opposite directions (in case of the B-2).

Comment

Thanks for posting! Now I understand how you did it - I didn't have that additional box in my mind and so was wondering how two servos on the same receiver port (in this model gyro port) could move in opposite directions (in case of the B-2).
                          I didn't view the video of the other fellow who did brakes, so I don't know how he did it. I think there's more than one way to skin this cat.

Comment

• I think a lot depends on your set up. I don't see anyway to use the stock gyro and mixing board and do it. If you bypass them and use a receiver with a gyro and mixing you can do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              I think a lot depends on your set up. I don't see anyway to use the stock gyro and mixing board and do it. If you bypass them and use a receiver with a gyro and mixing you can do it.
                              You may be right about this. At the time, I thought about it a lot and the only solution was that buddy box, which splits the signal path for the drag rudders - one going through the board and gyro and one that bypasses them completely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                I think a lot depends on your set up. I don't see anyway to use the stock gyro and mixing board and do it. If you bypass them and use a receiver with a gyro and mixing you can do it.
                                Exactly. I actually have a receiver with integrated gyro and enough ports (9) here that I could use. That way, it would be very easy as each rudder would have a separate port. But, I am not sure if I can take the gains 1:1 into the new gyro or not (probably not) and given that she isn't a easy plane without a good gyro setup, I am kind of worried.

Comment

• There is a part of me that wants to bypass the board and go straight to the servos like in my old LX B-2 and old foam board B-2.
                                  neither of which had gyros and flew great.
                                  I had independent control of both DR’s. And thanks to OPTX I had drag breaks and speed rudders programmed in.
                                  Speed rudders would pinch down the DR to 5mm open at 100% throttle and back to what ever the normal open was at 60%. It was proportionally to the throttle stick.
                                  it worked great and I didn’t notice any oscillation changes.
                                  break rudders worked great too, they would both full open at -90% throttle and gear down.

I just feel this one really don’t need to gyro either, only thing holding me back is am I willing to bet $500 on it.

Gravy

Comment

• I've flown mine with the gyro off. It flew.

$500?

Comment

• Isn’t that what it cost when it came out? Am I mistaken?
                                      I could be, it’s been like one house and 5 or 6 new jets ago. Lol
                                      Also I don’t care what they say the eyes aren’t the first to go. 🤪

Gravy

just went and looked, $600, maybe it was $500 when I told my wife. 🤣

Comment

• It was originally $699 and then Motion reduced their prices. You can get all the foam and decals for $330. Yes, but I tell my wife they are all $50!

Comment

• Damn, not even a year and I can’t remember. Also shows you the signs of the time. I didn’t even think twice when I slapped down $700 for this when it came out and now I look at the B-1 and tell myself “I’ll never spend that much on a foam plane”. 😳
                                          $700 is more of a hit today then it was 10 months ago.

I might just buy some of that $300 foam as back up to have, and give her a go without the gyro. I bet she flys a lot smoother at speed when properly setup too.

Gravy

Comment

Working...
                                          X