X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post

I still haven't put any more flights on mine... I moved on, latest build is another FW 80mm F-14 with the MiG-29 power system. It's way more fun...
    Hi Evan…

Thanks for the feedback on the spin.

But, But….the B-2 looks sooooo cool in the air!

I understand. Since installing a gyro, the PJ-50 is now my favorite all-around. Great performance, sips battery power, pretty good acrobatic ship, and the best “windy day” bird I own. (Now there’s a switch in opinion from when I was about to give up on it….prior to adding the gyro.)

-GG

Comment

• I agree the B-2 is a very distinctive cool plane.

I'm still the only one that has flown one at our field. Usually when a new plane, especially an EDF comes out there are 10-15 of them by now...

Comment

• This is great.

Mike Click image for larger version

Name:	290664844_5322425594462407_2253283456081267998_n.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	349162
        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
          Question: Had anyone tried to spin the B-2? Or…for that matter any tail-less flying wing?

The late E-Flite Scimitar spins, as do the FW Eurofighter and Gripen (canard deltas). They each have thrust vectoring. The E-Flite Convergence will spin too.

Comment

• The best spinner I know of is the Outlaw... But none of that means the B-2 will... or should.

Comment

• SAFE AS3X Assan nose gyro and changed wheels for grass runway

Comment

• You did a excellent job on resolving the issue and now it is grass ops ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naveda08 View Post
                  SAFE AS3X
                  I have the Assan in mine and it virtually cures the ground handling. However, I'm curious about your Safe select receiver. Which one did you use, what kind of gains on each axis do you employ and did you do anything in regards to linking the drag rudders to the ailerons for banking?

Comment

• I'm sorry, I still see issues. The bounce on take off, the hot landings, too pitchy.

Hats off to those of you still flying the B-2!

Comment

• I still fly mine but only from time to time. It very quickly descended into the lower eschalons of ranking in my mob of planes. I won't (or can't) sell it on account of it not being worth much anymore. It was a great idea at first but like the economy and the housing market, the bubble popped and so quietly that only those in the market really knew it happened. Kinda sad but that's hobby life.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        I have the Assan in mine and it virtually cures the ground handling. However, I'm curious about your Safe select receiver. Which one did you use, what kind of gains on each axis do you employ and did you do anything in regards to linking the drag rudders to the ailerons for banking?
                        Yeah the Assan nose gyro was a must for the grass field, very impressed with the performance ended up ordering the 5 pack from RCC. The SAFE/AS3X works as it should, angle limits and self leveling well, I have it on a three position switch SAFE/AS3X, AS3X only and everything off. Using the AR637T, I left the radio in the hangar but I will share the gains soon, I should be able to find time to fly this weekend. All the mixing is done by the board that is already in the B2 so no need to do anything different about the rudder and ailerons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          I'm sorry, I still see issues. The bounce on take off, the hot landings, too pitchy.

Hats off to those of you still flying the B-2!
                          Yeah she is certainly super loose on take offs, hits a bump and wants go flying on her own. Will trim out a bit of the 8mm-4mm recommended reflex to see if she can handle the bumps better on take off. The original goal was to make her take off from grass and be able to fully close the gear doors, the extra aggressive AOA really made a difference, maybe it was too much. The first hot approach was all my fault, you need to let her glide in and settle herself down, probably the most substantial ground effect out of all the planes I have flown. She has a few issues but I am not sure what the expectations were, it was not the first B2 model ever made and I never expected her to be the best behaved.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            I still fly mine but only from time to time. It very quickly descended into the lower eschalons of ranking in my mob of planes. I won't (or can't) sell it on account of it not being worth much anymore. It was a great idea at first but like the economy and the housing market, the bubble popped and so quietly that only those in the market really knew it happened. Kinda sad but that's hobby life.
                            A lot of us tend to jump at the latest "shiny new object"! I just bought the new Durafly Gladiator on a whim after seeing the first video. Fortunately, it's a really nice flying plane....even though the "fit and finish" aren't up to MRC standards.

Comment

• What??? There's a new plane out, where... I'll be back I gotta go order a plane!

Comment

• Originally posted by DronemanJoe View Post
                                You did a excellent job on resolving the issue and now it is grass ops ready.
                                DJ, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Glad to have you onboard, Sir. Best, LB
                                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi Xviper and Evan,

Hope the B-2 isn’t developing a bad reputation because when flown under the right “restricted” conditions she’s an enjoyable plane to fly. The last 2 weeks, I have put in about 10 flights each day….sunrise time with light winds. Admittedly, hard surface operation only.

Hot on landing she is NOT. Getting into ground effect inches up in the air and slowing to a crawl before letting her land is the technique that’s working for me to avoid landing issues. Land her HOT, and problems you will have.

Book CG is nose heavy. But this CG makes her a tame and smooth flyer. And she does nice loops, half loop, half roll for rapid direction reversal, aileron rolls….more things to try. Lots of power, she has.

Bottom line, flown in the right conditions, off hard surfaces and landed going soooo slowly out of ground effect…there isn’t any reason one can’t enjoy flying the B-2. Grass ops with her = unknown to me.

I can see why the B-2 might fall outa favor. But, I can also see why she can remain high up on a list to fly….in the right conditions and with landing techniques that are rather non-standard for an EDF jet. One must decide whether they are willing to accept self-imposed restrictions to fly only in light wind conditions and maybe only on hard surfaces or well groomed and smooth grass runways with wheel mods. Also, are you willing to practice with her? I will personally attest, the more you practice flying the B-2, the more enjoyable flying her becomes.

But y’all are right, the B-2 may not be right for everyone. On the other hand, the pilots she is right for….she can be VERY right for.

-GG

PS Notice I said “inches up in the air” for slowing to a crawl. Get too slow at a height of more than a few inches and she may drop a wing on you. So SLOW down a lot while only a few inches up.

Comment

• As honest and relevant as all of the things you say, you have a great advantage over me in that you fly this plane 10 flights a day, day after day. I barely fly 8 flights a day and that's on a good day when I take 4 planes to the field. Plus, I fly only 2 to 3 times a week and that's a good week. I don't fly any single plane more than 2 batteries per day and with nearly 50 planes, I rotate through them so they all get some air time during the warm months. Winter brings on more restrictions on what planes I fly. With such a rotation of planes, it's very easy to rank them and have favorites and less desirable planes. The favorites are the ones that fly easily, without those limitations you speak of and thus, get into the rotation more often. The ones that have those "restrictions and limitations" simply don't get into the rotation as often and hence, I don't get the stick time on them that would give me the control needed to fly the B-2 (for example) more flawlessly. There are far more planes in the inventory that I can take out, ham fistedly "goof" fly and bring them back to the bench without incident and still make it look like I know what I'm doing. Any "bad" reputation that I might bestow upon the B-2 is purely based on statistics. I don't fly it enough to get really good at it and I don't get good at it because I don't fly it enough. Such a vicious cycle requires a lot of time for me to overcome and as time passes, the reputation becomes more and more entrenched in cement.
                                    After all that said, I did try to fly the B-2 a couple weeks back but unbeknownst to me, the Assan had come loose after the previous inverted splash down and the plane was all over the runway like it had mad cow disease. Took it home to fix a torn out gear from doing sudden Hollywood 180's and secure the Assan. In the meanwhile, other planes got into the rotation. The B-2 will see another day soon.
                                    In contrast, my 8s F-18, 8s F-22, Stinger 90, F-100 (plus many others) maidened flawlessly without any peculiarities, without due regard to weather conditions and made me look good at the same time. So you can see how this kind of thing plays into the "reputation" scenario.

Comment

• Excellent post, Xviper!

Only of late, has the B-2 seen lots of air time due to good weather at sunrise.

Absolutely, “favorites” get more air time. Give me a windy, gusty day and I grab the AL37, F-4 or PJ-50 and more so the PJ-50. Why? Like you stated….handles good, great performance, few restrictions*, sips batteries, long flight times, etc.

Up until recently, we have had WIND, and the B-2 sits at home.

*LOL - No restrictions other than MUST HAVE A GYRO! Without a gyro, windy day landings are problematic with the PJ-50.

Thanks again for your post.

-GG

Comment

• Mine is still hanging in the garage. I haven't flown it after the one check flight after my cartwheel crash on flight 5 (I think), so mine has 6 flights on it. All my opinions are based on those flights. No one else at my field has flown one and I take what I see online or in video with "a grain of salt". Many are amazed that I can glean the information I do on a flight or even a partial flight. Many times, I've maidened a plane for someone and after trimming it out and handing it (or not handing it to the person if there are serious issues) to the person I'll say, "you'll love (or hate) this plane".

That said I do have the main gear mod pieces and at some point, I may just fly it again. I have no doubt it will be a calm or light wind down the runway day and will be a nervous, not calm, relaxed landing. Also flying this, as well as many other planes, off pavement VS grass makes a big difference.

I think it's great some are flying and enjoying this. I think it's awesome that Tom is FPVing his. That takes guts.

Comment

• Exactly….My first several were nervous, too. But not now.

But, MAJOR experience with a bird trumps minor experience.

I just don’t want this unique and $$$$ invested development by MRC to get a needless bad reputation based on a few flights.

She takes practice and wind restrictions….Then folks can enjoy the technology/design accomplishment that she is.

Sorry, but a few flights does not equal a lot of flights. I hated the PJ-50, put a gyro in it….now love it. You see my point. Lots of flights are often needed to formulate and revise opinions. Look at some of my prior posts in this B-2 thread as another example.

My first impressions post of the PJ-50 was glowing. Then I changed my mind after more flights in different conditions. Then I changed my mind again after adding a gyro. It takes TIME to totally understand a bird.

-GG

Comment

Working...
                                          X