X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
    Same for the steering servo cable. I plugged it into the Turning Servo plug on the gyro, and the Turning In male plug went into the spot where the steering servo plug had been. That's pretty simple, I thought it should have worked. But when I have things plugged in the way I THINK it should have been per the instructions. The nosewheel doesn't turn at all. Works fine when I have the gyro removed, though.

I think I'll try the gyro in another plane like my Freewing F-18 just to see how it works with it. If it works normally, I can deduce that the gyro is clear of any issues, I just have to get it to work on the B-2.

Thanks,

davegee
    The steering servo can't be signalled through the control box as it was stock. That servo needs to be commanded directly from the RX. What I believe is going on is that when the steering signal goes through the control box, it's being gyro compensated at 100% gain from the E52. Even though it's not helping with steering compensation, it's feeding a gyro controlled signal into another gyro (Assan). Hence, the need for a Y for the steering servo. Here's what needs to happen .............................
    RX rudder port to Assan. Assan steering out to steering servo. Retract.............................. Lead between front retract pins on control board to Assan. From Assan to front retract.
    If you try it in your F-18 and you don't have a gyro in there to control the RUD channel, it may work there. If your F-18 has a gyro with some rudder gain, it may not work there either.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
      The steering servo can't be signalled through the control box as it was stock. That servo needs to be commanded directly from the RX. What I believe is going on is that when the steering signal goes through the control box, it's being gyro compensated at 100% gain from the E52. Even though it's not helping with steering compensation, it's feeding a gyro controlled signal into another gyro (Assan). Hence, the need for a Y for the steering servo. Here's what needs to happen .............................
      RX rudder port to Assan. Assan steering out to steering servo. Retract.............................. Lead between front retract pins on control board to Assan. From Assan to front retract.
      If you try it in your F-18 and you don't have a gyro in there to control the RUD channel, it may work there. If your F-18 has a gyro with some rudder gain, it may not work there either.
      Hi XViper: Could you draw a little sketch on how to plug in the Assan properly? I'm not quite following everything you are telling me to do. I ordered some Y harnesses, I can give this a try once they come in the mail. I do have a Spektrum AR637T receiver in my F-18, and I think it gives inputs to rudders as well, so I might try my A-4 or F-4 that do not have that equipment onboard.

Thanks again,

Davegee

Comment

• NOTE: I failed Art 101.

As you can see, the steering servo no longer connects to the control box but goes directly to the Assan. The Assan gets the steering input directly from the RUD channel of the RX via a Y. The nose retract lead gets pulled out of the control box and hooks directly to the Assan. You then need a patch lead (or short extension) from the nose retract pins to the Assan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4112.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	347566

Drawing has been revised.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          NOTE: I failed Art 101.

As you can see, the steering servo no longer connects to the control box but goes directly to the Assan. The Assan gets the steering input directly from the RUD channel of the RX via a Y. The nose retract lead gets pulled out of the control box and hooks directly to the Assan. You then need a patch lead (or short extension) from the nose retract pins to the Assan.
          Thanks, XVIPER! Once I get my Y cable hopefully next week sometime in the mail, I'll use this diagram to try and put the cables all in the right places! I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Best,

Davegee

Comment

• The receiver goes to the gyro and then to the control board…

Comment

• Do the Y out of the receiver. One side to the Assan and the other to the male to male and into the gyro. The steering servo plugs into the Assan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                The receiver goes to the gyro and then to the control board…
                Right. The line I drew from the RX to the control board (upper part of Y) should go to the E-52. That part shouldn't change. It's only a mistake in my drawing.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks, XVIPER! Once I get my Y cable hopefully next week sometime in the mail, I'll use this diagram to try and put the cables all in the right places! I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Best,

Davegee
                  Just for the moment (until you get the Y), just don't plug in the lead that goes to the E-52 (upper part of Y). Only connect the lower part of the Y just to check everything out on the Assan and steering direction. Your air rudders (drag rudders just won't respond to rudder input. Once you get the Assan working correctly, you can go back and wait for the Y.

Comment

• The drawing in post #1123 has been revised.

Comment

• It should be self evident but having one gyro (E52) feeding another (Assan) (or vice versa) is not going to be successful in any context.

I've seen people with an AS3X/SAFE receiver connected to a Eagletree gyro and wondering why they were getting weird results.

Comment

• I might be able to put all this plan into action, but I think I'm faced with the grim reality that even with a steering gyro, it will probably be confounded by the ruts and bumps in our very rough runway. After my last flight where my plane hit a bump on the takeoff roll and launched into the air prematurely, almost losing it, I don't think the gyro would have done much good. I think I might fly it a few more times from this runway, but after that, the chance of losing the airplane is too great to risk if and until I can find a better place to fly from.

Do thank you for all the effort with this gyro, though.

davegee

Comment

• Took my B-2 out to Bomber Field for their warbird event this weekend, and won the award for best electric aircraft! Also got a few beautiful in flight photos courtesy of Lee Ray. Really enjoying how well this models floats around at low throttle.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                            It should be self evident but having one gyro (E52) feeding another (Assan) (or vice versa) is not going to be successful in any context.

I've seen people with an AS3X/SAFE receiver connected to a Eagletree gyro and wondering why they were getting weird results.
                            Even i know that would be problematical...🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• As an update to my post #1106, I have developed a consistent landing technique. Many landings have been made since that post and no bent nose gear servo.

1) Light winds only….less than 5 mph. If you see her gyro twitching the controls more than just a little on a fly-by, it is TOO windy/gusty for landing safety and without risk.
                              2) Get her into ground effect 6 inches or less and do everything in your power to hold her steady / slowly inch down and DON’T let her touch down. As she slows, you will end up on most landings with full nose up elevator as the main wheels touch…just like a full scale Piper Cub tail dragger landing.
                              3) When she finally touches, she’s done. Sticks without bouncing.
                              4) Minimize any cross wind amount.

I am using an Admiral 6000 which sits about an inch off the tray to the rear like James’ video.

In light winds, you can do the above consistently. She’s easy to land and control in ground effect.

I enjoy flying the B-2. However, only on light to calm wind days. Doing otherwise risk$ a busted nose gear servo or worse (cartwheel, etc.).

Edit: 06/11…Got out at sunrise to beat the HEAT advisory and to enjoy almost calm winds. Made 7
                              B-2 flights before the wind began to blow. No landing issues at all using the above technique. It works!

-GG

Comment

• Got in a few more flights on the B-2 this weekend at Warbirds Over Texas. 10 flights so far and only one occurrence of the bounce, which was recoverable and damped out. Moving the nose gear forward and reducing the AOA a from stock may have helped make it a bit less prone to this issue.

Comment

• Update to posts #1106 and #1134….

Many more landings since #1134, and I am learning still.

Here’s what I am figuring out. There is a cadence one develops for landing the B-2. Prior to figuring out the cadence, you are likely gonna not make some good landings (mess up a nose gear servo or two).

However, if you’ll force yourself to only fly in light winds, you can practice enough to develop your cadence without destroying too many nose gear servos….maybe none at all.

Yesterday, I flew in 7 mph winds but it was not smooth air. In my prior posts, it was stated that if the gyro is moving the controls more than a little = unsafe to fly. The controls were jiggling a lot, on the first flight yesterday. Sure enough, near the ground a wing dropped before either me or the gyro reacted. This almost resulted in another damaged nose gear servo. Luckily…only a slight bend resulted in the worm drive gear, and the nose gear still retracts OK.

While you are learning the B-2, stick with calm or light winds and non-turbulent conditions.

So, once you develop the cadence (this takes practice), every landing will be a success and made with confidence (in good flying conditions) AND you can start really enjoying the B-2.

I know….one may ask why put forth the effort?! I consider RC flying a challenge. The B-2 deserves the effort. She’s so unique and fun to fly.

Caution: Until you practice enough to develop the landing cadence, you will be dollars (and ego) ahead to fly her only in near perfect conditions.

Example: Not to brag, offered as proof of what I say….each of the 10 landings made this morning were perfect and with no heart rate increase. TONS OF FUN!

-GG

Comment

• ALL-NEW Freewing B-2 Spirit - Page 88 - RC Groups

Look at posts 1310-1333....

Comment

• Heads up….

A main gear stopped retracting fully. Close inspection ruled out the servo. The truck rotation was acting draggy. The application of dry lubricant solved the problem. You may want to consider getting ahead of this on your B-2 and lube your trucks’ pivot points.

For those of you who have stated that you are hesitant to fly your B-2, restricting your flying to light wind days is a good solution. I’ve not had ANY problems with landings on light wind days….enjoying flying the B-2 and confident that the landings will be non-events. You may want to reference my prior posts on the technique I use to land it consistently successfully. #1134 and #1136

-GG

Comment

• Question: Had anyone tried to spin the B-2? Or…for that matter any tail-less flying wing?

She seems to have ample control authority to do a normal stall-spin entry (full up elevator <and hold it> at the stall followed by the application of full rudder). Not gonna apply aileron….it risks overdriving the drag rudder servos. Just a classic elevator/rudder spin.

At the risk of being repetitious, MANY more flights in light wind (typically early morning) and no turbulence conditions have been made with 100% success. This is the key to enjoying the B-2. In these conditions, landings are a non-issue and easy to do using the techniques described in my prior posts.

I am not gonna push it. When the conditions change, I put her up and fly other birds. Flying the B-2 is a HUGE amount of fun, but only within restrictions on the conditions. Too risky otherwise!

-GG

Comment

• I did, reported results very early on, I think my first day out with my B2. Didn't work for me, just keeled over into a nose dive. I didn't try many times and someone may get it to do it. I was just curious and when It didn't work after a couple tries just gave up. It does a really nice stall turn or hammer head, depending on what you call it.

I still haven't put any more flights on mine... I moved on, latest build is another FW 80mm F-14 with the MiG-29 power system. It's way more fun...

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                          Question: Had anyone tried to spin the B-2? Or…for that matter any tail-less flying wing?

She seems to have ample control authority to do a normal stall-spin entry (full up elevator <and hold it> at the stall followed by the application of full rudder). Not gonna apply aileron….it risks overdriving the drag rudder servos. Just a classic elevator/rudder spin.

At the risk of being repetitious, MANY more flights in light wind (typically early morning) and no turbulence conditions have been made with 100% success. This is the key to enjoying the B-2. In these conditions, landings are a non-issue and easy to do using the techniques described in my prior posts.

I am not gonna push it. When the conditions change, I put her up and fly other birds. Flying the B-2 is a HUGE amount of fun, but only within restrictions on the conditions. Too risky otherwise!

-GG

Comment

Working...
                                          X