• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
    Excellent thanks xviper
    For you, anything, good buddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
      Replaced my broken servo arm on the port clam shell and hooked everything back up but I'm still off. How much deflection should there be when moving the RIGHT stick left and right (ailerons)? I won't dare maiden until I have these clams where they need to be on both sides. Thanks for any assistance!
      As I recall, I reduced the rudder servo travel to 70% in the TX. As others have noted, 45 mm wide or 50 mm wide is a don’t care. Mine is 50 mm (25 mm top and 25 mm bottom. It works fine.

As Xviper said, bounce = FLOOR IT. I tried to save a bounced landing twice…..replaced the nose gear set-up twice. I think I have finally learned the lesson.

The real trick is come in slow and touch down with minimal energy. She is, regardless, VERY easy to land. One just gets stupid on the controls once in a while.

Hi Evan….I swear I looked at all the spare parts pages last night and did not find the bare servos listed. Hence my email to MRC support. That is sooooo weird. But THANKS!

-GG

Comment

• Aros .................................. Oooohhhh, I just remembered. I posted up a video about using my drag rudders as drag brakes. Go see post #888 and you can see what the rudders look like at full AIL input. Pause it if it goes by too fast.

Comment

• Oh good, thank you!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Here are some photos of the grass mods I made to my B-2 last week.

Stinger 90 struts with 60mm wheels on the mains worked well. Stock 45mm wheels are still on the nose. This seemed to work well on my last take off attempt before the jet flipped. The jet now has a 4.5 degree positive pitch angle on the ground which should be good for take off.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Minor repairs made to the left wing and right elevator. The screw tabs and carbon rod were broken off. I used the polyurethane glue with CA technique mentioned by Mshagg. The 8mm carbon tube was replaced from the shop scrap box. The leading edge corners were glued back on with foam glue. The right elevator was torn off but the plastic hinge pins were not broken so I just glued then back in with foam glue. The foam hinge seal was replace with Blend Derm tape on the bottom. After touch up paint I added an ASSAN AG63 heading gyro to the steering. I had it in the shop planned for a new project so I put it to use in the B-2 for now. It checked out dead straight on taxi tests in the yard. Waiting for winds to calm a little to give it another go.
              Attached Files

Comment

• In case anybody in interested here are three photos of HD touch up paint from three different stores in three different states. All the numbers match from each one. The one on the left is the one they scanned and made for me.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by viper1gj View Post
                  In case anybody in interested here are three photos of HD touch up paint from three different stores in three different states. All the numbers match from each one. The one on the left is the one they scanned and made for me.
                  I concur with the accuracy of HD's touchup paints for our models. I used to live in the Denver area and used them all the time. Now, I live in NW WY and the closest HD is in Billings, about 1 1/2 hours away. Not a problem for that, but I just used a Sherwin Williams store for the first time here in Cody. I was amazed to see that they did a color match with the sophisticated little computer paint reader onto my B-2 wing extension, and then he played the actual wing color to what he had come up with a couple of times until the computer said they were an EXACT match! Never had such attention to detail before for a color match for me. The local Ace Hardware in town tries, but their match was way off from the real B-2 color, basically unusable for a model.

I'll still use HD from time to time if I happen to be in Billings. but I'm really sold on Sherwin Williams. For anyone out there who lives in a small town with no HD nearby, if you are close to a Sherwin Williams, I'd give that a go. Of course, part of the success is the diligence of the person doing the color matches, and his desire to get an absolute "dead nuts on" match.

Davegee

Comment

• A customer asked me which servos are in the B-2 and the locations of the servos. Attached is a PDF showing the SKU of the Freewing servos used in the B2. We will get this info on motionrc.com and add the appropriate servos to the spare parts tab for the B-2.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by viper1gj View Post
                      In case anybody in interested here are three photos of HD touch up paint from three different stores in three different states. All the numbers match from each one. The one on the left is the one they scanned and made for me.
                      I confirm that these numbers are dead accurate and the same as mine. I had my paint match done at Home Depot last week and I was floored with the accuracy. I just finished my touch ups yesterday and I can't even see where they were anymore. Incredible match in any lighting condition.
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Finally, a friend and I were able to maiden our B-2’s here in central Missouri on Saturday, May 7th. What a great airplane!!

Saturday, May 7th, turned out to be the beautiful, blue-sky, low-wind, near perfect day that central Missouri radio control pilots have been waiting on for a long time. A friend, Stephen Bradford and...

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

For anyone out there who lives in a small town with no HD nearby, if you are close to a Sherwin Williams, I'd give that a go. Of course, part of the success is the diligence of the person doing the color matches.
                          Following your recommendation I went to the Sherwin-Williams store and the very sweet, cute, young lady behind the counter took extra care to make sure the paint matched exactly. She even recommended the matte finish over the flat since there is some slight sheen to the model. She even wanted to see photos of it after seeing the battery hatch part I took to the store. 😳

I’m attaching a photo of the code she came up with and a photo of the battery hatch cover where she painted the lower-right corner with the paint she mixed.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Another paint data point. Went to HD to get mine. The guy entered the info shown in the prior posts.

Came up with a different sticker. He assured me it was an exact match.

Got home….tried it out on a wing tip…perfect match and sheen. See below in case you run across this.

-GG
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	A956185B-0985-4B57-8A83-04EF5F50F5F7.jpeg
Views:	486
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	345266

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Duck View Post

Following your recommendation I went to the Sherwin-Williams store and the very sweet, cute, young lady behind the counter took extra care to make sure the paint matched exactly. She even recommended the matte finish over the flat since there is some slight sheen to the model. She even wanted to see photos of it after seeing the battery hatch part I took to the store. 😳

I’m attaching a photo of the code she came up with and a photo of the battery hatch cover where she painted the lower-right corner with the paint she mixed.
                              Good Deal, Mud Duck! I'm sure there are other folks around the country who aren't close to a HD, but might possibly have a Sherwin Williams store in town. We had our house exterior painted last summer with SW paints, and I could tell just looking at them in the can they were first-rate. We're very happy with the results, and I'll use our little SW paint store in town for my next model repaint. For those times we travel to Billings, I'll bring a sample of the plane to HD to have them do the match.

Thanks for your story. Glad everything turned out great!

davegee

Comment

• Here is our latest episode...of course on the B-2!!

In Model AV8R Episode 33, we feature the new B-2 Spirit Bomber from Motion RC. In our review, we include the build, set up tips, some great resources to use,...

Comment

• Originally posted by Model AV8R View Post
                                  Here is our latest episode...of course on the B-2!!
                                  MA, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Glad to have you onboard, Sir. Great vid. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Edit: 2022-05-09 4pm MDT After more testing, I have discovered that everything I originally stated below (now colored in RED) regarding the elevator channel in the gyro being erroneously reversed is wrong! The testing I initially performed (where I jumped to the wrong conclusions) was done using plain servos outside the B-2 bypassing the control board. I've since connected everything up to the B-2 as specified in the manual and all gyro corrections are now moving in the correct direction. My sincere apologies for having yelled FIRE in a crowded theater when there was indeed no fire.

Originally posted by Model AV8R View Post
                                    Here is our latest episode...of course on the B-2!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9NqLPhYn2A
                                    Excellent video. The main takeaway I got was that the gyro, as delivered from the factory, is NOT setup correctly!

After fiddling around with the gyro in my B-2, (which I have not yet setup and flown), I have come to the conclusion that the elevator channel in the E52 is erroneously reversed. (No wonder they had to reduce the basic gain to 5% == essentially zero).

I am betting that once the elevator channel in the gyro is set to the correct direction (i.e. NORMAL == NOT REVERSED), then the elevator gain can be increased and the plane will fly MUCH better.

Comment

• Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                                      I have come to the conclusion that the elevator channel in the E52 is erroneously reversed. (No wonder they had to reduce the basic gain to 5% == essentially zero).

I am betting that once the gyro elevator channel in the gyro is set to the correct direction (i.e. NORMAL == NOT REVERSED), then the elevator gain can be increased and the plane will fly MUCH better.
                                      I cranked my master gain to 120% and could not detect that the ELE gyro compensation was reversed. At the normal 5% gain (even at 6% gain), it's really hard to tell anything. I don't know why they set the ELE gain so low but I don't think that's the reason why (being possibly reversed). My programmer should be here in a week or so and only then, by turning up the gain much more on the ELE channel, can we really tell if it's "reversed".

Comment

• Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                                        Excellent video. The main takeaway I got was that the gyro, as delivered from the factory, is NOT setup correctly!

After fiddling around with the gyro in my B-2, (which I have not yet setup and flown), I have come to the conclusion that the elevator channel in the E52 is erroneously reversed. (No wonder they had to reduce the basic gain to 5% == essentially zero).

I am betting that once the gyro elevator channel in the gyro is set to the correct direction (i.e. NORMAL == NOT REVERSED), then the elevator gain can be increased and the plane will fly MUCH better.
                                        Wow! Ordered the programming card.

Would appreciate getting the set-up “numbers” for the stock gyro once she’s been dialed in thru experimentation.

I’d rather have the elevator direction set correctly and everything else set to the best value.

Thanks in advance.

-GG

Comment

• Posted also on RCG. This may be a function of reversing it in your radio VS reversing it as the instructions say to do by swapping the servo connections.

Mine is not reversed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X