Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm going to investigate whether or not the Mig-29 mains could be used as a replacement for grass ops. May require the removal of some foam (hopefully at the mold marks) but should allow the gear to be fully enclosed in the well with the doors completely closed. I flew my Mig off the grass for the first time last Saturday with no issues, so hoping this will work for the B-2.
    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
      I think I'm going to investigate whether or not the Mig-29 mains could be used as a replacement for grass ops. May require the removal of some foam (hopefully at the mold marks) but should allow the gear to be fully enclosed in the well with the doors completely closed. I flew my Mig off the grass for the first time last Saturday with no issues, so hoping this will work for the B-2.
      Not just some foam….

Click image for larger version  Name:	D8976EBE-69C4-4421-9A67-BE0721DB1984.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	344391
      Click image for larger version  Name:	94AF2EE5-AFEB-4FB6-BF9B-FA35F5DE6EAD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	59.6 KB ID:	344392
      Click image for larger version

Name:	BE1BD4C8-82BE-464C-BAD4-F58839E57504.jpeg
Views:	480
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	344393

Comment

• Originally posted by primodus22 View Post
        Has anyone snapped the nose gear strut yet?
        I bent the worm gear in the nose gear servo….replaced the servo. Tried to save a bounced landing. Bad choice!

Should have added power and gone around.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Not just some foam….
          OK, so negative on the Mig-29 retracts. I wonder if the Corsair mains would work. I need to find some measurements as I don't have one.
          Pat

Comment

• OK, negative on the Corsair mains as well as they are 85mm tires and the max I can use is 60mm. I may do what Frank did and go with T-45 mains and the "frankenstrut" and 50mm nose wheels.
            Pat

Comment

• Another option for people owning a lathe

Hallo, gratuliere zum Maiden auf Gras! Vielleicht ist es auch möglich, nur mit dem Bugrad den Anstellwinkel zu erhöhen? Grüße, Bernd Danke, Bernd! Bei mir war lag es auf jeden Fall am Rollwiderstand der Hauptfahrwerke. Da aber jede Graspiste anders ist, empfehle ich erstmal einen Testlauf...

Comment

• I ordered up:

Two Nose Wheels:
                BenchCraft 55mm (2.2") x 15mm Treaded Ultra Lightweight EVA Foam Wheel for 2mm Axle
                BCT5016-098

Two Main Wheels:
                BenchCraft 64mm (2.5") x 24mm Treaded Ultra Lightweight Rubber PU Wheel for 3.1mm Axle
                BCT5016-077

Two Main Wheel Struts:
                Freewing Stinger 90 Main Landing Gear Strut
                FJ305110811

Two Main Wheel Axles:
                Freewing Stinger 90 Main Landing Gear Wheel Axle
                FJ305110812

Two Main Strut pins (Just in case):
                Freewing Stinger 90 Main Landing Gear Connecting Pin
                FJ305110810

I have not dissasembled the main retracts to see what size the main strut pins are....betting they are 5mm. If they are the 90mm Singer struts may need drilling out for 5mm.

Will report back on what parts interchange or need cutting drilling......

Hoping to have good luck as a couple pilots have reported with thier own hacks for Grass Operations (Short nap well manicured grass runway)

TwistedGrin

Comment

• With the recommended setup physically shortening the drag rudder control rods, such that the drag rudder fully closes with rudder stick alone, are we not over-driving the servo quite significantly when the roll mix from the aileron channel then tries to move that servo even further?

Out of the box the clamshells close fully with full aileron and rudder (at 65% weight) inputs, but leave a neutral position of 70mm open.

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                    I ordered up:

Two Nose Wheels:
                    BenchCraft 55mm (2.2") x 15mm Treaded Ultra Lightweight EVA Foam Wheel for 2mm Axle
                    BCT5016-098

Two Main Wheels:
                    BenchCraft 64mm (2.5") x 24mm Treaded Ultra Lightweight Rubber PU Wheel for 3.1mm Axle
                    BCT5016-077

Two Main Wheel Struts:
                    Freewing Stinger 90 Main Landing Gear Strut
                    FJ305110811

Two Main Wheel Axles:
                    Freewing Stinger 90 Main Landing Gear Wheel Axle
                    FJ305110812

Two Main Strut pins (Just in case):
                    Freewing Stinger 90 Main Landing Gear Connecting Pin
                    FJ305110810

I have not dissasembled the main retracts to see what size the main strut pins are....betting they are 5mm. If they are the 90mm Singer struts may need drilling out for 5mm.

Will report back on what parts interchange or need cutting drilling......

Hoping to have good luck as a couple pilots have reported with thier own hacks for Grass Operations (Short nap well manicured grass runway)

TwistedGrin
                    Gave RudyD54 today at the field my spare Stinger 90 struts and stock 65mm wheels that Icarus the 2nd used in his video but the strut hole was slightly smaller than the B2's connecting pin, so he'll have to enlarge the hole a bit to make them fit. That's probably a better idea than using the Stinger connecting pin as that may give you a little too much play. I'm sure he'll chime in on this to give more details, but's he's fighting to keep the stock wheels and not upset the scale police He has gotten off our grass 4 times now, but needs a slight 5-10 mph headwind to do it, which we had most of the day except every time he got ready to take-off, it died to 0 (never does that for me, I get crosswinds) and he had to wait on the runway until it came up.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Are you thinking that FreeWings setup is right and the changes told to us by Motion are wrong to do?

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                      With the recommended setup physically shortening the drag rudder control rods, such that the drag rudder fully closes with rudder stick alone, are we not over-driving the servo quite significantly when the roll mix from the aileron channel then tries to move that servo even further?

Out of the box the clamshells close fully with full aileron and rudder (at 65% weight) inputs, but leave a neutral position of 70mm open.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        Are you thinking that FreeWings setup is right and the changes told to us by Motion are wrong to do?
                        I cant comment with authority because I havent flown it. Hopefully this weekend, and I'm inclined to leave it as is. Out of the box the clamshells close with full ail and rud stick - you can check this yourself. With the recommended/suggested setup that shortens the control rods, the servo would be trying to force the clamshell shut further than it physically can.

The few video setups I've seen set the drag rudders to fully close with rudder stick only and I havent seen anyone then feed in roll input.

Admittedly it's probably rare that you're giving full stick input on both axis, but the gyro has its own authority over the servo... and it just seems like good practice to *not* set a control surface up such that a servo can be over driven like that, even in unlikely scenarios.

Comment

• I finally settled on 50 mm wide as close as I could get without a lot more tweaking. I bet 70 mm wide will be fine.

I did not check for the full rudder + full aileron servo overdrive condition as I don’t plan on doing that control input. But, I see your point.

If you are balanced slightly nose heavy, mix in an additional 4 mm of up on the inner surfaces when in the landing configuration. Helps avoid having to hold back stick in the pattern. From 8 mm inner and 4 mm outer suggested to 12 mm inner + whatever on outer for landing.

Slow her way down on final. Float her in.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

Admittedly it's probably rare that you're giving full stick input on both axis, but the gyro has its own authority over the servo... and it just seems like good practice to *not* set a control surface up such that a servo can be over driven like that, even in unlikely scenarios.
                            I get what you mean and saw this when settin up the drag rudders. I did the 45 mm open and found that i could completly close the rudder with a nice tight snap of the clamshells with rates set at 70. If i also did full rudder and gave it full aileron, i could see the servo trying to close them even further. I bumped my rate down to 63 on the rudder and that was a good compromise of just barely closing the clamshell (with full rudder and not overdriving the servo as much because when commanding full aileron. I decreased expo 10 points and didnt see any adverse change to the way it flies. I agree the the likely hood you would be doing both full aileron and full rudder commands is not likely for the 95% of us

Comment

• While it may be rare it will happen, you also have to consider that the extremely high gain on roll and yaw will be adding in more movement even if the pilot poesn't knowingly do it.

Originally posted by mshagg View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                While it may be rare it will happen, you also have to consider that the extremely high gain on roll and yaw will be adding in more movement even if the pilot poesn't knowingly do it.

p37 of the A3S3 manual (Servo setup) describes how to set servo travel limits on that gyro with its programming card.
                                https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=37#manual

Maybe this can be done with the E52 as well; the "Servo settings" section of the E52 manual (p10) is not at all helpful.

Comment

• Assuming that is the 130% setting in the E52...

Originally posted by kallend View Post

p37 of the A3S3 manual (Servo setup) describes how to set servo travel limits on that gyro with its programming card.
                                  https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=37#manual

Maybe this can be done with the E52 as well; the "Servo settings" section of the E52 manual (p10) is not at all helpful.
                                  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...ion_Manual.pdf

Comment

• The E52 has the same servo travel limiting feature, but it is unaware of the mixing board which applies mixes *after* the stabilisation loop. So you'd end up dialling down your throws quite a lot on the individual axis to make sure the combined output didn't exceed the mechanical limit which arises from shortening the drag rudder control rods.

I think the best solution would be replacing the gyro and mixing board with your own, and then replicating the mixing in the transmitter. That way you could set a total travel limit for the servo which is aware of the mixing. Or you could leave it as it comes from the factory...

Comment

• Comment

• Has anyone solved the flutter issue? I do have the programming card as well. What all is done?

Comment

• Flutter? I haven’t heard that there’s a flutter issue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X