X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Full-scale sailplane pilots use the less ambiguous terms “positive” and “negative” when discussing flap and aileron settings for take-off and landing configurations.

Flap down or aileron down with flap down = positive configuration

Flap up or aileron up with flap up = negative configuration

Sailplane aircraft owner’s manual often just say flaps down or flaps up.

Very often negative flap and negative aileron is called for in the POH the first part of then take-off roll to enhance aileron control. Going back to this configuration for the last part of the landing roll.

​​​​​​-GG
    So true for a plane like a sailplane, which can have flaps and ailerons. However, this plane, being a flying wing, doesn't really have flaps and ailerons. They only used those terms to differentiate the inner and outer control surfaces. Regardless of them being "innies" or "outies", they are still elevons and they should have called them inner and outer elevons. That being the case, I've always considered "reflex" as being UP elevator and nothing really to do with flaps/ailerons. All my other flying wings have always referred to using some "reflex" to aid in launch. This was also suggested for the A-10 models.

Comment

• Here’s a company that builds a position control box for the RV-10 type aircraft. They use the term REFLEX for negative (up) control surface position.

Good ‘nuff for me as are the other posts which define reflex as up control position. I won’t hesitate to use the term going forward to indicate “up”.

Therefore, for the B-2…

Setting the inner surfaces to 8 mm reflex and the outer (non-clamshell) surfaces to 4 mm reflex as a starting point for a maiden is a perfectly acceptable use of the term REFLEX…IMHO.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	79B66DC6-5D1D-48DC-8A79-38AA6DB1D846.png Views:	0 Size:	253.8 KB ID:	344179

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
        Here’s a company that builds a position control box for the RV-10 type aircraft. They use the term REFLEX for negative (up) control surface position.

Good ‘nuff for me as are the other posts which define reflex as up control position. I won’t hesitate to use the term going forward to indicate “up”.

Therefore, for the B-2…

Setting the inner surfaces to 8 mm reflex and the outer (non-clamshell) surfaces to 4 mm reflex as a starting point for a maiden is a perfectly acceptable use of the term REFLEX…IMHO.

-GG

Click image for larger version Name:	79B66DC6-5D1D-48DC-8A79-38AA6DB1D846.png Views:	0 Size:	253.8 KB ID:	344179
        This is interesting. It’s the first time I’ve heard of this. I guess you just showed an old dog a new “trick”.

Comment

• Hey all.
          I'm learning an editing software so I recut the previous B-2 video with the on board camera. Let me know if this is a better format for future videos please.

old cut

new recut

Thanks
          Jose

Comment

• „REFLEX“
            It‘s about the „camber line“ (a curve halfway between upper and lower surfaces) of an airfoil. For tailless aircraft, an airfoil with a „reflexed camber line“ will help to improve stability.
            When looking at the FW B-2 wing, there seems to be such an airfoil at the inner portions, but it soon changes to a conventional „semi-symmetrical“ airfoil (look at the outer wing root). To keep „the reflex“ over most parts of the wing, the control surfaces need to be trimmed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
              „REFLEX“
              It‘s about the „camber line“ (a curve halfway between upper and lower surfaces) of an airfoil. For tailless aircraft, an airfoil with a „reflexed camber line“ will help to improve stability.
              When looking at the FW B-2 wing, there seems to be such an airfoil at the inner portions, but it soon changes to a conventional „semi-symmetrical“ airfoil (look at the outer wing root). To keep „the reflex“ over most parts of the wing, the control surfaces need to be trimmed up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_(aerodynamics)
              Indeed.

An airfoil where the camber line curves back up near the trailing edge is called a reflexed camber airfoil. .

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                (If I ever get mine. It's currently "lost in Yonkers [Singapore]".
                It wasn't "lost". They gave me the wrong tracking number. I've been tracking NOTHING. It's supposed to go onto our mailman's truck this morning and be delivered this afternoon.

Comment

• Good news. But is it still snowing there?

Comment

• Not snowing today and most of the snow that fell has melted. Had some good flying yesterday, today and hopefully tommorow before the rain starts. Slushing for the coming weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by avanti127 View Post
                      Got the LED landing lights all hooked up and wired in...
                      Very good! More light = more sight!!! :-)
                      Here is mine with 3W coldwhite LED lights. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03183.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	344239

Comment

• Interesting, mine doesn't have that decal under the nose tip... I wonder what other decals are different.

Looks like the one on Motions site has a number of decals in different spots...

Comment

• I finally could maiden my FW B-2 today!

Here's a short vid showing my 2nd flight and the mods which will help you to fly this plane from a typical european style - rather short 80metres only - grass runway.

All credits for the grass mods goes to Radar-Guy!

Enjoy the vid!

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Originally posted by Warbirdfan29 View Post

Very good! More light = more sight!!! :-)
                            Here is mine with 3W coldwhite LED lights. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03183.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	344239
                            Can you please tell me where you got them, they look great, very realistic.

Comment

• Nice work Icarus the 2nd , not only did you get off grass in a short distance, it was WET grass, so kudos to Radar-Guy for the mods.

For those of you interested in B2 historical information, the Smithsonian channel has a series called Air Disasters (great program which sums up my flying skills). This year one of the episodes is called "Stealth Bomber Down", from Season 17 (current), episode #3. It's well worth the view. It details the take-off crash of the Spirit of Kansas from the Guam airbase in 2008 which shut down B2 operations for several months and potentially could have ended the B2 program. There is outstanding real videos, interviews, analysis of the crash to determine the cause and insight into the most sophisticated aircraft in the world, which was quite fascinating to me (especially when you find out what brought it down). Also learned that the $44 Billion B2 program had 21 bombers in total (not sure if that's still current) and initially had 300 hand picked pilots in the group, the best of the best. Each B2 was named after a state, except two which were designated as the "Spirit of America" and the "Spirit of Kitty Hawk". I won't spoil it for anyone interested in watching it, so you'll have to see it for yourself, which IMO is well worth it.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• This is a video of my friend's MotionRC Freewing B-2 flown this morning in Calgary. All stock, "modes" and master gain NOT connected. (Other particulars posted in one of my previous posts #786.)

Comment

• Got the chance today (after a 4 in rain last night) to hit the pavement and try out the rotary knob channel (normally flaps) mixed as master and the elevator as the slave channel.

The mix is adjusted so that when I rotate the knob fully, it adds about 4 mm more of up elevator trim. Both outer ailerons also move up a bit as the inner elevators move up a bit.

Why? Because I am a little nose heavy and gear down at 25% pattern throttle, she requires holding some additional up elevator. Being lazy. I implemented the mix (lots of ways you can do this). It works great! I use it for both take-off and landing and get rid of the extra “up” once the speed increases and the gear is up after take-off.

I made the mistake of not going around on a bounced landing. Ended up bending the worm gear in the nose wheel retract servo. Had to replace the retract servo this evening. UGH - If she bounces, react fast….power up and go around and try again.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by pepepaamul View Post

Hi, these are normal 3W power LEDs "coldwhite", 3,4V -3,6V, 700mA, 200-220 LM from a local electronic shop. They have the same size as the stock LEDs from Freewing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Icarus the 2nd View Post
                                      I finally could maiden my FW B-2 today!

Here's a short vid showing my 2nd flight and the mods which will help you to fly this plane from a typical european style - rather short 80metres only - grass runway.

All credits for the grass mods goes to Radar-Guy!

Enjoy the vid!

Well done G. !! :-) Kind Regards Jörg

Comment

Mine are the nose wheel LED landing light from the PJ. Screws right into the strut on the backside. comes with the little screw as well.

Comment

I can't answer for him, but I've used a lot of these and they are very inexpensive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rch_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/6000K-6500K-6...188720-7042619

and if you are willing to go with 1W LEDS (which are still plenty bright) you can get a lifetime supply at $0.13 each:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPRWVRF...pa_dk_detail_0

Here's what they look like on my Mirage

Comment

Working...
                                          X